I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:19:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  What are you doing this Xmas?
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: What are you doing this Xmas?  (Read 7076 times)
MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« on: December 07, 2006, 04:59:22 AM »

Hi everyone, may I be the first to wish you all a very merry Xmas!!!

I started this thread so we can all tell each other what we are doing and who we are with this Xmas.

I will be at home with my father.  My sister and her fiancee (he has proposed but she hasn't said "yes" yet!) are coming to stay with us so we shall have a full house.

SCOTLAND NO.1
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2006, 05:31:34 AM »

I haven't made solid plans yet.
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2006, 05:37:31 AM »

Nothing especially planned. Going to my brother in law's for Xmas dinner and then they will come to ours on boxing day and w'll sit there wondering what the 'ell to talk about 'cause we said it all on xmas day. I will be doing CAPD over the Xmas period because my mother in law stays in our only spare bedroom which is my dialysis room.

Ken
AlasdairUK

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2006, 05:48:48 AM »

I love Boxing Day as you always have Boxing Day cricket test matches. I get to watch cricket all day and get up and eat left overs when ever you feel hungry.

I do not have any solid plans either. I might go to Southampton with my sister or stay in London with some friends. I have left it to late to go to Aberdeen and spend it with the rest of my family. I did not have a good experience the last time I arranged to dialyze in Aberdeen. So I'm reluctant to go up there.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2006, 07:05:49 AM »

December is full of X-mas days for me.  The 9th we are doing x-mas at my grandma's house because some of my relatives can get time off now, but not x-mas weekend.  The 23rd we are doing x-mas with my in-laws, the 24th we are doing x-mas with my parents and brother, and then x-mas day at home.

It's not easy being green.
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2006, 03:58:02 PM »

On Christmas day we will be going to my in-laws (the out-laws) ;)  for our gift exchange and TAMALES, yummmm,  and we will be celebrating Christmas on New Years Day cuz my brother has to work on Christmas and he cant make it down until then.  We will go to my sisters and do the breakfast with Mamosas and Tamales and have an awesome time as always... HOHOHO :wine;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Jill D.

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2006, 06:31:20 PM »

I will be spending Christmas at the Gift of Life Transplant House in Rochester, MN while I recover from my kidney transplant! My husband and two kids and my parents will be out here with me. It goes without saying that I have gotten the best Christmas present ever!  :clap;

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
Fox_nc

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2006, 09:54:34 AM »

Jill got the best Christmas present ever!  I'm sooooo jealous.  :clap; This is actually my first Christmas where I haven't had to work in years, so I'm very excited. (I guess there are some up sides to being sick - lol) My husband, son, and I will spend the day at my in-laws house.  Kinda funny actually since they will be in Oklahoma visiting their only child who doesn't live in NC.  So all the kids who do live here will be camping out at their house, which is in a winter wonderland!  Here's a pic of the neighborhood we actually found on the internet.  To give proper credit it was on Ryan Guettler.com

Being normal is not necessarily a virtue. It rather denotes a lack of courage. -- from the movie Practical Magic
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2006, 12:33:25 PM »

I will go to my Mom's house. I may go up to Suunyvale, near San Jose to see my girls.  We are going to staff Christmas party tomorrow.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2006, 01:02:04 PM »

Staying home with my parents and my children. We open all our presents on Xmas Eve, so that Santa has room under the tree to bring presents.  :lol; My kids are very excited and counting down the days to Xmas Eve. They are writing their letters to Santa today and mailing them tomorrow. 

(OK I deleted the pic I put on, didnt realize it was so big, LOL sorry.)

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2006, 01:59:37 PM »

I will be spending Christmas at the Gift of Life Transplant House in Rochester, MN while I recover from my kidney transplant! My husband and two kids and my parents will be out here with me. It goes without saying that I have gotten the best Christmas present ever!  :clap;

Congratulations Jill I'm very happy for you and I hope everything goes well.
tamara
Elite Member

WOO HOO NEW KIDNEY PEEING !!!(Transplant 23/10/07)

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2006, 11:31:56 PM »

You Go Jill, Merry Christmas!

You Sure Must Be on Santas Been Good List

Good Luck with The Transplant .

Love Tamara .xxx ooo  :clap; :cuddle;

ABO Incompatible Transplant from my loving Partner 23/10/07
after over four years on the D Machine 

Dialysis Sucks and Transplants Don't.................So Far Anyway !!!!!
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2006, 12:22:01 PM »

Last night the dialysis center gave me a frozen turkey.  So I think I am cooking and eating turkey over the Christmas holidays.  I parked the turkey in my Mom's freezer, since I do not have a freezer big enough to handle the bird.   So I was given the bird at dialysis!  My mother said: The turkey got a turkey.   Hahaha! I said. 

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2006, 07:40:38 PM »

Last night the dialysis center gave me a frozen turkey.  So I think I am cooking and eating turkey over the Christmas holidays.  I parked the turkey in my Mom's freezer, since I do not have a freezer big enough to handle the bird.   So I was given the bird at dialysis!  My mother said: The turkey got a turkey.   Hahaha! I said. 

I see where you inherited your sense of humor!  Muhahahahaha!

24th is presents at the in laws, dinner at gram # 1.  25th is presents and dinner at gram #2.  30th is no presents (whew!) and dinner at Dad's with massive step family and umpteen kids (who will be the only ones getting presents.)  I'm the only one with no kids, so I get to give all the really good gifts - silly putty, play doh, farting noise makers, blow up boxing gloves, all things that kids love and mommies dread cleaning up.  Hmmm .. next year, I think I'll do musical instruments.  Muhahahahahaha!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

vandie

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2006, 07:42:47 PM »

I see where you inherited your sense of humor!  Muhahahahaha!

24th is presents at the in laws, dinner at gram # 1.  25th is presents and dinner at gram #2.  30th is no presents (whew!) and dinner at Dad's with massive step family and umpteen kids (who will be the only ones getting presents.)  I'm the only one with no kids, so I get to give all the really good gifts - silly putty, play doh, farting noise makers, blow up boxing gloves, all things that kids love and mommies dread cleaning up.  Hmmm .. next year, I think I'll do musical instruments.  Muhahahahahaha!
That's just wicked.  Although I did like the noisy as opposed to the messy when my kids were smaller.

Life is the journey, not the destination.

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #15 on: December 12, 2006, 05:38:10 AM »

On Christmas day we will be going to my in-laws (the out-laws) ;)  for our gift exchange and TAMALES, yummmm,  and we will be celebrating Christmas on New Years Day cuz my brother has to work on Christmas and he cant make it down until then.  We will go to my sisters and do the breakfast with Mamosas and Tamales and have an awesome time as always... HOHOHO :wine;

Nina,
What are TAMALES?

Ken
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2006, 06:51:32 AM »

Nina,
What are TAMALES?

Manna from heaven when they're homemade. . ..  .

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2006, 07:50:31 AM »

MMMMMMMM Tamales. Christmas is Tamales!!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2006, 01:14:09 PM »

Homemade tamales are some of the best things in the world (Drooling).  There was a little old lady that would make lots of homemade food and sell it out of the window of her apartment when I was little.  Me and some of my friends would go over there and buy her food as after school snacks.

It's not easy being green.
mallory

« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2006, 01:55:12 PM »

Nina,
What are TAMALES?

Ken,  Here's a link to Wikipedia that explains what tamales are: 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamale

They're DELICIOUS if they're homemade.  I think making them is an art, I don't know if I could do it or not but I would like to try making them.  When people make them that are good at it, they are SO good!!

Sometimes the light’s all shinin’ on me;
Other times I can barely see.
Lately it occurs to me what a long, strange trip it’s been.
                                  - Jerry Garcia
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2006, 02:10:00 PM »

We went to Joe's work Christmas party this past weekend.

My mom is taking all her kids plus Joe out for fancy dinner maybe next weekend, but the date is not set in stone.

We are having the extended family Christmas party at my cousin's house this weekend.

Christmas Eve we will be going to at least 1, but possibly 2, Masses.  I love to listen to the Christmas music and the candlelight service is my favorite.  I will also be working Christmas Eve night for a few hours.

I will be working in the early morning and evening for a few hours each time, but in between, Joe and I will go to my mom's for the traditional sausage biscuit breakfast, then we will probably have a late lunch Christmas feast with my closest aunt/uncle/cousins (closest in distance and relationship).  At some point in the day we will go to see Joe's family for an hour or 2.  Also at some point I may call my dad, but I haven't decided yet (long story, not a great relationship).

Joe and I will exchange a few presents here at the house Christmas Day morning but won't be spending a lot of time here.

That's about it.  Busy month I think. 

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2006, 10:59:30 PM »

My plans:
Work Wednesday through Friday of this week.
Relax Saturday.
Go to the family Christmas party on Sunday with Mom, Christy and Victor. (Bring sodas.)
Rest  and pack up stuff for trip.
Go the dialysis early 5a.m on Friday of next week.
Go the hubby's work party after dialysis.
Hit the road for San Jose (Do you know they to San jose? Lalalala)
See my sister and her family and my girls on the 22-24.
Hit the road back othe 24th.  Hugs and kisses to everyone up there.
Go to Mom's house on December 25 and have Christmas with her. (Get depressed afterwards, it always hits me after we have the dinner and stuff.)
R and R the rest of the week off.
Celebrate my Brithday on the 31st!!!
Celebrate the 1st!
Back to work on the 2nd!

That is it!

lifenotonthelist.com

tubes

Miss you so much Susie. Will always <3 you!

« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2006, 05:11:25 PM »

Ahhh, no fair goofynina.  :'( I want some homemade tamales.  My mom is making them this year.  All becuz I wanted them.  Grrrrr, I cant get to my moms this yr for christmas, so i get to miss out on the first time my mom makes them.  :banghead;  :'(  :banghead;  :'( 

This sunday I am driving to Concordia.  It is the halfway point between Lyons (where I live) and Omaha (where my mom lives)  We are exchanging our presents so we will have each others presents to open up on christmas. 

My dad is coming down the 22nd and has to go back home on christmas eve.  That night I'm going with my grandparents to Wichita to see Mikes daughter and her husband.  There is something going on at their church.  Not sure I want to go.   

Christmas day I will be spending at my grandparents house. 

That covers it....I think.

MERRY CHRISTMAS & GOD BLESS ALL

"To be happy is the choice I wish to make in spite of the circumstances that are strewn in my path."

1996 - started incenter hemo
a few months later, started PD
2005 - started incenter hemo
AGAIN
  - on transplant list as of August 7, 2009.
2011/June - 15 years on "D"
Transplant - Tuesday October 18th 2011
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: December 22, 2006, 02:01:44 PM »

Going to my nephews house and bringing along a friend who would normally be alone.
Amanda From OZ
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: December 22, 2006, 04:09:12 PM »

I will be spending Christmas at my house as we do every year with cousins, aunts and my grandfather. We will start the day off with a half Aussie/Italian cuisine, then spend the rest of the day eating and also taking up the Aussie sun in my pool.  ;D

Merry Christmas to you All.  :beer1;
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »