I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 11:27:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  After Dialysis Routines
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: After Dialysis Routines  (Read 9024 times)
Riki
Elite Member

« on: July 20, 2010, 10:11:11 PM »

Do you guys do anything special after each treatment that you do every time?

for me, on the way home, Mom will go through the drive through at Tim Horton's and get me a large iced cappuccino.  It's an after dialysis treat, and is almost like a reward for sitting through the whole 4 hours.

When I was in NYC in May, it was the first time we'd been there since Tim Horton's moved in.  We kind of did it backwards, though.  There are two Tim's in New York Penn Station, so I'd get my Iced Capp as soon as we got into the city in the morning, instead of on the way home in the evening.

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 12:01:54 AM »

oh ye people with no fluid restrictions - oh how I envy you!!!

No drinkies for me after D as much as I'd love to I feel like I'm using up my precious allowance and I like to space it out.

Usually I am quite tired so I get home and have a cat nap (so called because my cat usually comes and sits with me :) ) for a few hours. Some nights, like last night, I had to go out to a party thing (ironically it was mostly drinks which was a bit frustrating for me!) so I went straight from D to the bus and spent my time out.

Sometimes I will get a potato cake on the way out - specially if it's a day when labs have been drawn!!  >:D >:D >:D I suppose that's my version of your iced cap! (sounds mighty yummy, by the way! I'm thirsty now!)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 12:29:26 AM »

Sorry Richard, but yeah, they're good.  Addictive.. *L*

I don't know why I'm not on any fluid restrictions.  I don't pee anymore, and haven't in at least 3 years.  I remember, when it was starting to slow down, I went for a couple of months without peeing, then one day, I peed.  I got so excited.  I went straight to my computer to tell my best friend.  She thought it was hilarious

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 12:44:33 AM »

Sorry Richard, but yeah, they're good.  Addictive.. *L*

I expect to see pictures of you slurping one down - just to rub it in!!  >:D >:D >:D >:D :rofl;

I don't know why I'm not on any fluid restrictions.  I don't pee anymore, and haven't in at least 3 years.  I remember, when it was starting to slow down, I went for a couple of months without peeing, then one day, I peed.  I got so excited.  I went straight to my computer to tell my best friend.  She thought it was hilarious

Yeah, only renal patients can understand that. I pee a few hundred mils a day still, something I am very thankful for. How much do you put on between sessions? Do you just not drink much fluid naturally?

I used to drink 3L a day easy.... one of the hardest things ever to cut down on those delicious fluids going down my throat!

27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 12:54:36 AM »

On weekends, I tend to put on about 3.5kgs.  The most they can take off without issue for me is 3.2kgs, so they tend to get it all in my Monday treatment. Through the week, I'll put on 1-3kgs.  I don't stop myself from drinking, in fact, I have a glass of ginger ale next to me right now, that I got to wash down a small bag of popcorn I made as a midnight snack.  I don't carry near as much fluid as I did while on PD, so I'm thinking that the peritonitis that got me off it was a blessing in disguise.

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 04:20:45 AM »

So its not that you are not on any fluid restrictions , just that you dont take any notice? An average of 3 kg is a mighty lot to take off at treatments !!! Mine varies between 500 & 1.5  :angel; even on our 2 day break ! Sounds like you should be doing some restricting !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 04:42:00 AM »

I disagree. I know plenty who take of 3 liters in a session. The important thing is if you can tolerate the fluid being taken off. Now she wrote that 3.2 is the most that she can take off in a session, and they pick up the rest next session - if that works for you then why not? I myself am 1.5-2 over between sessions(weekends SUCK - I don't know how you can be 1.0 or less!) and that works nicely for me, but I wouldn't call 3kg over a massive overload if you can tolerate it. I know a guy who used to show up over by 5 almost every time, but he could handle 1l/hour UFR and well they couldn't stop him drinking anyway. I think 5 is too much,probably over 4. but 3... yeah if it works for you, specially with no output, well I think that's OK.. but what would I know? I'm just a dumb patient!  :rofl;

KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 04:56:07 AM »

RM ..how dare you disagree :Kit n Stik;    :rofl;  I guess its what our unit expects of us , we are lectured if we come in at anything near 3 , related to the strain on the heart etc etc. Im not a saint , ive just somehow cut right down on fluid ..but if you think 3 is ok ..im off for a pint  :rofl;

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 04:59:13 AM »

Sure have a pint on me  :beer1; oh wait, look at the exchange rate... better make it 'alf!

The other thing to consider is the percentage of body weight. What was that formula for an acceptable increase? 2.5% or something? Basically if you're a bigger person you can tolerate more on.

ANyway I've been beaten soundly so I need that other half pint to recover!  :rofl;

KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 05:09:10 AM »

Aren't you in OZ ? shouldnt you be asleep now ?  :rofl;

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 05:18:46 AM »

no I'm a big boy. I'm allowed to stay up late now! It's only just after 10pm  :rofl;

Are you my mum now?! uh oh RoboCop mum!!! I best be off to bed... well my cat will like that!!  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 05:26:21 AM »

The other thing to consider is the percentage of body weight. What was that formula for an acceptable increase? 2.5% or something? Basically if you're a bigger person you can tolerate more on.

Thanks for pointing out my short and wideness.. *LOL*

My dry weight is 100.5kgs and on Mondays, I tend to come in about 103.8kgs, and unless my BP drops. I usually get at least 3kgs off

According to my little electronic scale (I love this thing, btw) I'm currently 102.8kgs, but by the time I leave for dialysis this afternoon, I'll probably be at 103kgs.  When I was on PD, I carried a heck of a lot more fluid than I do now, and I wasn't restricted then either.  I lost a lot of weight when I was sick with the peritonitis, so much that my dry weight was down to 95kgs, but as I got healthier, I gained some back, but on PD, I was a steady 108kgs, so I'm sure I was carrying more than the 2 litres that I filled with every morning.

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 07:19:03 AM »

no I'm a big boy. I'm allowed to stay up late now! It's only just after 10pm  :rofl;

Are you my mum now?! uh oh RoboCop mum!!! I best be off to bed... well my cat will like that!!  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

My job is to protect the innocent and up hold the law !  :rofl;

carson

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 09:22:17 AM »

If I may chime in here...I am on home nocturnal and I usually take of 1-2 kg/night. When I skip a night (as I'm allowed to do) I often take off closer to 3 if I forget to watch. Doc doesn't seem too concerned as I'm in excellent physical shape otherwise. I drink and eat freely but watch my weight nevertheless. I'm 45kgs., down from 53 when I was on PD - and most of that was fluid!

2009 infection treated with Vancomycin and had permacath replaced
2009 septic infection that wouldn't go away
2007 began Nocturnal Home Hemo with Permacath
1997 began Peritoneal Dialysis
1982 had cadaver transplant
1981 diagnosed with GN2 and began Peritoneal Dialysis
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2010, 12:07:36 PM »

So its not that you are not on any fluid restrictions , just that you dont take any notice? An average of 3 kg is a mighty lot to take off at treatments !!! Mine varies between 500 & 1.5  :angel; even on our 2 day break !
Me too.

They usually have to take off between 0.6 - 1.4 kg from me, I've noticed.  And even that's because my session is in the afternoon after I've had brunch (which obviously has plenty of fluid in it).

After 21 months on hemodialysis, I'm still able to urinate somewhat, so fluid restriction hasn't been as big a deal for me.  I don't know how long my kidneys will be able to produce any urine--but I'll enjoy it as long as it lasts.
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2010, 03:34:10 PM »

Mine have been 'producing' for 6 years!  (yes while on dialysis)

Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2010, 05:27:30 PM »

I haven't produced anything for about 3 years, I think.. I don't remember for sure.

Oh, and KickStart, I was right.  I went in at 103kgs on the nose, and left at 100.4kgs.  I felt like a million bucks when I left this evening, but I'm home now, and I"m ready to crash.  Will probably try to stay up till at least midnight, though.. and it's about 9:30 now

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
romanyscarlett

« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 09:03:52 AM »

My have a pre and post dialysis routine.

At 3pm I have a shower so my hair has enough time to dry before treatment. At 4.30pm I put on the EMLA cream. I have something to eat and a very small glass of Dr Pepper at 5pm. At 6pm I leave the house.

When I finish dialysis I always have a square of fudge as I leave the centre and when I get home I have a plain tortilla wrap.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2010, 04:24:05 PM »

I don't have much of a pre dialysis routine, although, I usually do the same things, so I suppose you could call it that.

I pull my lazy butt out of bed, play on the internet for a bit, find food, put the emla cream on my arm, and make sure I have everything I need to take with me ready to go when my drive shows up

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
murf

« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2010, 04:47:14 PM »

Having been on PD for seven months after four years of Hemo, I find that I need a lot more self discipline. On hemo, I always knew there was some nurse who would be checking my weight. On PD, it's up to me. Sometimes, I'm just a naughty boy.

Started Hemodialysis Anzac Day 2005
Patiently waiting for a transplant
Started PD New Year 2010
Taken off transpalnt list, Jan 211
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2010, 07:35:28 PM »

Hemodiaylsis ends at about 10:30 PM, so afterwards it's a protein drink and then bed.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
RenalSurvivorDotCA

10 Year Survivor

« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2010, 07:57:17 PM »

Three fellow dialysis patients and I  formed what we affectionately call "The Dialysis Dinner Club". We go for treatments Mon/Wed/Fri afternoons so every Wed after dialysis we all go out to dinner at one of several restaurants. The staff all know us at these places and know our basic food restrictions and prepare special versions of their meals for us. We've been doing this for 6 years now, and sadly two of our club have passed on. They were very dear friends and if my last remaining dialysis friend goes, well, the club will be ended. After losing that many friends, I don't think i will make any more.

Your life IS worth living. Fight for it!
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2010, 10:45:42 PM »

Having been on PD for seven months after four years of Hemo, I find that I need a lot more self discipline. On hemo, I always knew there was some nurse who would be checking my weight. On PD, it's up to me. Sometimes, I'm just a naughty boy.

yeah, I did that to while on PD.  I had a nurse come around to take blood and check weight and blood pressure.  She usually had a few snide remarks when I was on the scale.  I didn't enjoy the home visits.  She's a different person in the unit entirely, not nearly as critical, and much more fun.

Three fellow dialysis patients and I  formed what we affectionately call "The Dialysis Dinner Club". We go for treatments Mon/Wed/Fri afternoons so every Wed after dialysis we all go out to dinner at one of several restaurants. The staff all know us at these places and know our basic food restrictions and prepare special versions of their meals for us. We've been doing this for 6 years now, and sadly two of our club have passed on. They were very dear friends and if my last remaining dialysis friend goes, well, the club will be ended. After losing that many friends, I don't think i will make any more.

That's a neat idea.  I don't know if we could organize that here.  There's really only 4 under the age of 50 who go on the same days I do, and the ones who don't just go home have to go to work after dialysis.  I really don't know how they do it

PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2010, 11:56:21 PM »

Hemodiaylsis ends at about 10:30 PM, so afterwards it's a protein drink and then bed.

8)

Get hom from D at 9h30pm and it is a cup of tea and bed for me as well.
Next day up bright and early for work.

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
RenalSurvivorDotCA

10 Year Survivor

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010, 06:09:44 AM »

That's a neat idea.  I don't know if we could organize that here.  There's really only 4 under the age of 50 who go on the same days I do, and the ones who don't just go home have to go to work after dialysis.  I really don't know how they do it.

Hi, Riki!  Yeah, my employer wanted me to schedule a work shift after dialysis but I told them that sometimes I feel lightheaded or have low bp afterwards and might have to stay at the unit or may not even be able to work then. I didn't tell them that that almost never happens! >:D

Yes, it would be difficult to form a group like this if the other patients are not in your age group or folks you wouldn't become friends with anyway. That's how we got started; we were all in our 40s (at the time). Some of our nurses have even joined us from time to time.

Your life IS worth living. Fight for it!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »