I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:48:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  World Cup Fever
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: World Cup Fever  (Read 13809 times)
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« on: June 12, 2010, 04:23:55 AM »

Having searched and found no thread (please spank me if I'm wrong) I decided we needed to have a dedicated World Cup thread.  This may or may not be a popular view and if not, it can die a fast death, but at least I'll have done my bit in trying to drum up interest.

;D

Today's Big Match (from my point of view) is England v. USA.  I stand to win a fish and chip supper from my local chip shop on Monday if England win 4-1.  I think I'm probably being over-optimistic ... the USA can't be *that* bad at football.

Happy footballing!

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 08:21:22 AM »

I've no interest in the football whatsoever, but the spanking...    :yahoo;

;D

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 08:44:12 AM »

I watched the opening ceremonies and they were fabulous.  I am very excited that South Africa is the host site.  Just like China with the Olympics, you learn so much about a country with these type of events.     I am not a sport addict, but I really enjoy the big final competitions of any sporting event.   Should be lots of fun  :2thumbsup;    I am looking forward to watching some of the matches.   

:usaflag;    :usaflag;     :usaflag;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
totosidney

« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 09:08:09 AM »

Having searched and found no thread (please spank me if I'm wrong) I decided we needed to have a dedicated World Cup thread.  This may or may not be a popular view and if not, it can die a fast death, but at least I'll have done my bit in trying to drum up interest.

Today's Big Match (from my point of view) is England v. USA.  I stand to win a fish and chip supper from my local chip shop on Monday if England win 4-1.  I think I'm probably being over-optimistic ... the USA can't be *that* bad at football.

Happy footballing!
What do you think of the new ball? I think it is too easy to bend. Being a former goalkeeper, I wouldn't have wanted to see that ball curving even more...Sid
« Last Edit: June 12, 2010, 09:29:04 PM by totosidney » Logged
Jie

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 03:22:09 PM »

It seems to be a day dream that England could win U.S. 4-1.  The soccer has been very popular within the U.S. youths during the last 15 years. It is not surprising if the U.S. can win the world cup 10 to 15 years from now.
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 05:57:57 PM »

;D

Happy footballing!

i guess  the  poms  aer'nt  that  good  to  win  4-1 :2thumbsup;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 06:00:09 PM »

oh  yeah  get  your  money  on  spain :yahoo;

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 09:35:50 PM »

I'm with you Paris. I enjoy the exposure to another country. I also like being a part of the greater world community in watching what so much of the world is really wrapped up in. In our house we watch it on Univision (Spanish language) which adds to the international flavor although I do spend some time lost in the language.

OK IHDers, we've got a good part of the world represented right here, including South Africa. Let's see some World Cup posts!!!
 :clap;

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2010, 10:22:02 PM »

Well, Miss Poppy, I trust your local chippy will be serving you hamburgers and french fries after England's draw with the USA!!

The World Cup is my favorite sporting event; when I lived in England, I'd always have the wall chart from the Radio Times in my little hands for the whole month.  I am so excited that I just may awaken at 6AM to see Slovenia v Algeria.

England's keeper must be sick as a parrot.   I don't know what Capello is going to do now.  I'd love to see David James in goal again as he does provide entertainment with some of his less than spectacular goalkeeping.  And where was Wayne Rooney all night?  I was impressed with the way the US effectively shut him down.

I enjoy watching Portugal because they invariably have the best looking players.  You know it's true...!  I lived in Spain for a short while, so I always like to see them do well.  Can never pull for Germany.  Bored with Brazil.  Would love to see a side win that is from neither Europe or S. America.  Will be pulling for England, though, should USA not WIN IT ALL!  Well, I can hope...!

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2010, 08:58:49 AM »

Huge disappointment only getting the draw with the USA. Worried about Rooney. Do you think he's still got a bit of that ankle injury niggle. Also I think some of the tabloid gutter press's hounding of goalkeeper Green's mistake has been disgracefull. It's just typical, slaughter one of our own just to sell a few rags! This could ruin his carreer if England don't get throughto the next group stage due to the loss of 2 points from this game. Come on England you can do it!  :ukflag
 :ukflag; :ukflag; :ukflag; :ukflag;
« Last Edit: June 13, 2010, 09:02:09 AM by Ken Shelmerdine » Logged

Ken
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2010, 10:31:37 AM »

Oh, the British tabloids are ruthless.  England should advance out of the group stage, and then Green's gaff will be forgotten.  However, with Slovenia winning over Algeria, the pressure is on both the Brits and the septics.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2010, 01:27:49 PM »

Can I have a glass of orange juice for every time Jurgen Klinsmann says "awesome"?

Cahill's red card was harsh and doomed the Socceroos.  Germany looked clinical as always even without Michael Ballack (sp?).  They looked very, very good, and comparing them to England, England looked confused and vulnerable.  England is going to have to win their group or else they will be knocked out by the Germans.  But ya never know...that's why they play the game!

murf

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2010, 04:02:12 PM »

Just have watched Aust. play Germany. I never thought that we would win but to be absolutely thrashed like that was so disappointing. We didn't show the normal passion or never say die attitude. Maybe our players are just too old.

Started Hemodialysis Anzac Day 2005
Patiently waiting for a transplant
Started PD New Year 2010
Taken off transpalnt list, Jan 211
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2010, 04:07:58 PM »

I'm not much of a futbolista, but I gotta say that today's game (Germany vs Australia) was the most entertaining so far. Sorry folks, but England vs USA yesterday was boring.

Murf, I was hoping (against hope) that Australia would win.

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 06:59:24 AM »

The aussies will be bundled out in short order sadly. Just hope the kiwis can somehow be more embarassing! :)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2010, 04:55:20 AM »

Watched Japan versus Camaroon at dialysis. It was so boring I fell asleep during the second half. Italy and Paraguay
were almost as bad. Pitty I missed the Germany Game.  :(

Ken
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2010, 06:50:18 AM »

All of this is right on my doorstep.

Are any of your family here in SA?

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2010, 11:39:45 AM »

All of this is right on my doorstep.

Are any of your family here in SA?

Oh, that's right!!!  You're in SA!  How exciting!  What has it been like over there?  Are the vuvuzelas driving you mad?  I'd love to go to a World Cup match.  I went to a qualifying match last year at Soldier Field...USA v Honduras.  It was very exciting!

It's Brazil v North Korea right now.  I didn't even know North Korea had a team!  The top ranked team v the lowest ranked team.  Interesting.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 11:44:24 AM by MooseMom » Logged

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 04:28:18 PM »

Des, I am enjoying the World Cup being in South Africa.   I love the vuvuzelas and find all of it  very exciting.   My daughters friend is from Tunisia and he is very proud that the World Cup is in Africa for the first time.    Brings us all just a little closer and the world a little smaller.   The excitiment must be incredible there.   

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 02:50:21 AM »

Watched Japan versus Camaroon at dialysis. It was so boring I fell asleep during the second half. Italy and Paraguay
were almost as bad. Pitty I missed the Germany Game.  :(

Hey if it sent you to sleep that seems like a Good Thing. Wish they'd show it while I was doing D - I can never sleep in those bloody chairs!!!  :2thumbsup;

NZ drew their game - so already they are way ahead of us. Well done to our kiwi cousins!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 06:11:13 AM »

Dialysis and World Cup - a good match. Either the games are so boring that they put you to sleep or so entertaining that they hold your attention. Not bad for us caregivers either. (Somehow, though, I have had to go out and pick up McDonald's dollar menu breakfasts to enjoy with the matches. Must be some subliminal messaging going on...  ;) )

Sorry your time zone is not compatible RM.

I did enjoy the NZ match tying it up in the extra minutes at the end of the game!

Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 06:38:30 AM »

The blokey has offered me odds of 1,000 - 1 on New Zealand.  I would give him £10 in the hope of getting £10,000 in winnings but he'd probably have to remortgage the house (because obviously they're going to win ...)

Those bluddy vuvuzela instrument things are driving me bonkers.  I keep thinking a swarm of very angry giant bees is going to attack the players.  Do they sound good when not trumpeted by a bunch of football fans in an enclosed space?!

All my neighbours have massive England (St. George) flags hanging from their windows.  Even the little old lady next door has one fixed to her wheelie bin.  I feel as though I'm letting the side down.  I'm not really a big football fan; I'm just a sheep (and very patriotic when it suits me).  However, I was a tad upset when the ITV HD channel (which showed the England/USA match) screwed up for ten seconds and we missed the only goal that England scored.  Tsk. 

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 10:34:30 AM »

Des, I am enjoying the World Cup being in South Africa.   I love the vuvuzelas and find all of it  very exciting.   My daughters friend is from Tunisia and he is very proud that the World Cup is in Africa for the first time.    Brings us all just a little closer and the world a little smaller.   The excitiment must be incredible there.   

Love the vuvuzelas? Seriously?

They should have started the tournament with a bon fire of them
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDZktbpJuiM

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 11:12:13 AM »

Love the vuvuzelas? Seriously?

When in Rome ...

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 12:02:03 PM »

OMG, Spain LOST!  Oh, the Spanish must be crying into their sangria!  I can't believe it!  They were beaten by SWITZERLAND!  Chocolate for everyone!

Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »