I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:18:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Other Severe Medical Conditions
| | |-+  Insomnia
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Insomnia  (Read 19174 times)
galvo
Member for Life

« on: May 31, 2010, 12:53:08 PM »

I know that this topic has been covered before, but I have now not slept (for more thsn a couple of minutes at a time) since my heart attack some 16 days ago. I got some sleeping pills from my GP and took one last night. OMG -  severe agitations and hallunications!!!!!

Please I need real help with this one.

Galvo
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 12:59:03 PM »

Are you able to fall asleep?
What does the doctor say??
When I cannot sleep I take benadryl and a melatonine (both are over-the-counter) and it knocks me out after an hour. Sometimes I also have chamomile tea.
I found this below, will keep looking for more info.

Types of insomnia

Although there are several different degrees of insomnia, three types of insomnia have been clearly identified: transient, acute, and chronic.

1. Transient insomnia lasts for less than a week. It can be caused by another disorder, by changes in the sleep environment, by the timing of sleep, severe depression, or by stress. Its consequences - sleepiness and impaired psychomotor performance - are similar to those of sleep deprivation.[6]
   2. Acute insomnia is the inability to consistently sleep well for a period of less than a month.[7]
   3. Chronic insomnia lasts for approximately a month. It can be caused by another disorder, or it can be a primary disorder. Its effects can vary according to its causes. They might include being unable to sleep, muscular fatigue, hallucinations, and/or mental fatigue; but people with chronic insomnia often show increased alertness. Some people that live with this disorder see things as if they are happening in slow motion, wherein moving objects seem to blend together. Can cause double vision.[6]

Patterns of insomnia

1. Onset insomnia - difficulty falling asleep at the beginning of the night, often associated with anxiety disorders.
   2. Middle-of-the-Night Insomnia - Insomnia characterized by difficulty returning to sleep after awakening in the middle of the night or waking too early in the morning. Also referred to as nocturnal awakenings. Encompasses middle and terminal insomnia.
   3. Middle insomnia - waking during the middle of the night, difficulty maintaining sleep. Often associated with pain disorders or medical illness.
   4. Terminal (or late) insomnia - early morning waking. Often a characteristic of clinical depression.

Insomnia versus poor sleep quality

Poor sleep quality can occur as a result of sleep apnea or major depression. Poor sleep quality is caused by the individual not reaching stage 4 or delta sleep which has restorative properties. There are, however, people who are unable to achieve stage 4 sleep due to brain damage who lead perfectly normal lives.

Sleep apnea is a condition that occurs when a sleeping person's breathing is interrupted, thus interrupting the normal sleep cycle. With the obstructive form of the condition, some part of the sleeper's respiratory tract loses muscle tone and partially collapses. People with obstructive sleep apnea often do not remember awakening or having difficulty breathing, but they complain of excessive sleepiness during the day. Central sleep apnea interrupts the normal breathing stimulus of the central nervous system, and the individual must actually wake up to resume breathing. This form of apnea is often related to a cerebral vascular condition, congestive heart failure, and premature aging.

Major depression leads to alterations in the function of the hypothalamic-pituitary-adrenal axis, causing excessive release of cortisol which can lead to poor sleep quality.

Nocturnal polyuria, excessive nighttime urination, can be very disturbing to sleep.[8]

Some sleep disorders such as insomnia have been found to compromise glucose metabolism.[9]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insomnia

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
natnnnat
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 04:20:40 AM »

In another thread I find:
You can all settle down now. I have returned!

Galvo!  You're back!
Are you sleeping?  Are you improved? 

Natalya – Sydney, Australia
wife of Gregory, who is the kidney patient: 
1986: kidney failure at 19 years old, cause unknown
PD for a year, in-centre haemo for 4 years
Transplant 1 lasted 21 years (Lucy: 1991 - 2012), failed due to Transplant glomerulopathy
5 weeks Haemo 2012
Transplant 2 (Maggie) installed Feb 13, 2013, returned to work June 17, 2013 average crea was 130, now is 140.
Infections in June / July, hospital 1-4 Aug for infections.

Over the years:  skin cancer; thyroidectomy, pneumonia; CMV; BK; 14 surgeries
Generally glossy and happy.

2009 - 2013 PhD research student : How people make sense of renal failure in online discussion boards
Submitted February 2013 :: Graduated Sep 2013.   http://godbold.name/experiencingdialysis/
Heartfelt thanks to IHD, KK and ADB for your generosity and support.
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 09:01:22 PM »

G'day. Subsequent to the heart attack, they removed a bucket of fluid from me and glorious sleep has returned. PTL!!

Galvo
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 11:43:01 PM »

AHA!!!!! This is good news.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2010, 12:07:31 AM »

It sure is, Jean. It sure is.

Galvo
Quickfeet

Mack Potato

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 11:07:56 PM »

Sleep, glorious sleep. :bandance; I am very happy for you.
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2010, 05:07:49 PM »

Thanks.

Galvo
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 09:42:08 PM »

Isnt it funny how little we think about things like sleep, breathing and oh of course P ing until they are not there? I think sometimes that is why we become so resentful of this disease. It takes so much from us, and lets not forget energy too. There are times I get so tired I would just as soon go into a coma to get some extra sleep. Just my thoughts tho, nothing important.

murf

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2010, 01:38:00 AM »

Having an operation on my fistula on Friday. Looking forward to the GA so I can get some sleep.

Started Hemodialysis Anzac Day 2005
Patiently waiting for a transplant
Started PD New Year 2010
Taken off transpalnt list, Jan 211
breezysummerday

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2010, 02:06:52 AM »

it'll be a piece of cake....you can do it     :cheer:

caregiver to Ray
renal failure 6/08
listed 7/09
~thank you epoman~
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2010, 08:59:57 AM »

Wise thoughts, Jean and they are important. 1:53 am as I type this. Insomnia gone and replaced by the good old cramps. Not surprising, though, as I've reduced my dry weight by 5.5 kilos over the last 10 days. Still, I'd rather be cramping than drowning.

I wish you well with the op, murf, and hope that peaceful sleep returns to you.

I really value the support you guys give,

Galvo
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 09:47:37 AM »

Galvo just read about your heart attack, aye I hope you are ok and every thing is getting back to normal, well what is normal! it is so scary having an attack, did you have to have stents fitted. You take good care of your self you hear.Take things easy.
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 04:19:27 PM »

Thanks billybags. I had 3 stents inserted. I'm a bit worn out, but am keeping on.

Galvo
Ladystardust24

Keep Calm, Carry on.

« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 03:38:10 PM »

I have had insomnia for years now, it was mainly triggered due to serious medical things that happened in 2006. So, I have icky PTSD.

Otherwise, I have generally been a night owl. I'm planning to get some Melatonin to help me now that I can take it.

I also blame fact, I have a awful sleep schedule. I just rely on the fact, at some point my ADD fades off a bit, Not sure what. Just I deal with it. Every few months I crash and will sleep an entire weekend.  :urcrazy;

Dialysis 99-01
transplanted 01-04
Dialysis 04-10
Currently Transplant 10-22 +!

Very grateful for my Ziggy Bean.
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 01:35:09 AM »

At bedtime, I take a muscle relaxer, some tonic water ( for cramps) and a Vicodin for the back. After that I could sleep thru the end of the world.

alicatikins27

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 10:30:39 AM »

I've sleeping problems since my CKD was diagnosed back in '05, I tend to need the toilet more at night than in the day. I'm fed-up with being on the "night shift" but hey, my kidney is still working (Had a right nephrectomy '07)
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 11:01:39 PM »

I've sleeping problems since my CKD was diagnosed back in '05, I tend to need the toilet more at night than in the day. I'm fed-up with being on the "night shift" but hey, my kidney is still working (Had a right nephrectomy '07)
As long as that kidney keeps on keeping on! I can only dream about needing the toilet at night (or in the daytime, for that matter!).

Galvo
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2013, 02:32:02 PM »

Galvo, are you sleeping any better these days?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2013, 12:37:05 AM »

Hi! Mumsie! Yes, I am now sleeping the sleep of the just thanks to my developing peripheral neuropathy, which manifested itself in burning feet syndrome. Which is a fair cow! My Doc put me on a medication called LYRICA, one of the side effects of which is sleep, glorious sleep. One of the other side effects, however, is the possibility of suicide! You can't win 'em all!!

Galvo
Sugarlump
Elite Member

10 years on and off dialysis

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2013, 12:50:26 AM »

Galvo the peripheral neuropathy problem I have in my feet makes them numb and cold!!! Do you reckon this is cause we at opposite ends of the earth??? :waving;

10 years of half a life
3 years HD 1st transplant Feb 08 failed after 3 months
Back to HD 2nd transplant Dec 10 failed after 11 months
Difficult times with a femoral line and catching MSSA (Thank you Plymouth Hospital)
Back on HD (not easy to do that third time around)
Fighting hard (two years on) to do home HD ... watch this space!
Oh and I am am getting married 1/08/15 to my wonderful partner Drew!!!
The power of optimism over common sense :)
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2013, 01:06:11 AM »

Absolutely, Sugarlump!

Galvo
Grumpy-1

Make me the person my dog thinks I am

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 02:41:32 AM »

Ah sleep - I surely wish I could get more than 3 hours at a time.  Will sleep for 2-3 hours and wake up.  Awake for anywhere between 1/2 hour to 2 hours and then can go back to sleep for another 3 hours.  But of course, during the week, it is 3 hours of seep, 2 hours awake and then time to get up for work.  As some point my body just says "I'm tired" and I'll end up taking a day off work just to sleep as much as I can.  Normally, I take two Aleve tablets before going to bed and that seems to help getting to sleep, but won't keep me asleep.  I also have some sleeping pills the Dr gave me but they don't work.   Grumpy

justme15

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 06:28:56 AM »

ive taken melatonin, benadryl, zzzquil (which I think is the same thing as benadryl), and none of them worked.  I finally broke down and asked my doc for sleeping pills and he prescribed 5 mg of Ambien.  Does not work for me.  I read the max dosage is 10 mg, so I took 10 mg last night.  my husband says I was 'acting crazy'.  I vaguely remember walking around (within the limits of my PD catheter), stumbling and being very off balance.  Needless to say, 10 mg didn't work either.  I don't know what to do about insomnia. it's very frustrating.  Kinda like Grumpy, I will fall asleep, then wake up 1/2 hr to an hour later and can't go back to sleep.
Grumpy-1

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 03:56:44 AM »

Yea My family Dr gave me Ambien too.  One tablet didn't work and two tablets gave me the same feeling as Justme15.  The best thing I have found for me is 2 tablet of Aleve.  Seems to calm me down enough to sleep.  But sill only 3 hours at a time.  I have had at times, sever leg pain and have taken some strong pain killers.  With those I could get 6 hours of GOOD sleep.  But don't want to depend on that as an every night thing.   Grumpy

Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »