I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 04:25:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Grumpy
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Grumpy  (Read 4279 times)
paris
Member for Life

« on: May 22, 2010, 04:49:28 PM »

I just got paperwork in the mail for my annual round of tests to stay active on the "list".  Simply put, I don't want to do it.  I will, but I don't want to. It seems pointless.  I feel it is only a financial gain for the transplant center. The surgeons keep telling me with my PRA, it isn't a reality to expect a cadaver kidney.  Yes, I know, miracles do happen.  There may be just that one kidney out there for me.   But, seriously, we all know how few kidneys are available and how many are waiting. The odds are not in my favor.   I am grumpy!  I haven't talked with family yet, they don't know about the appointments.  This is the 5th time to do the tests.  I am kind of over the whole thing.   No, I am not really depressed -- just realistic.  My life is good. These appts. are just annoying me.  Maybe if the IVIG and Rituxim had made a difference, I would feel different. But they didn't reduce the PRA one bit.   My hope is to voice my grumpiness here and feel better!   Hmmm, not working yet!    :rofl;   
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 06:34:50 PM by paris » Logged

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
iketchum

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2010, 04:59:41 PM »

Your chance for a kidney may be not that good, but as you said you do have a chance. Do the tests and answer their questions, hang in there.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 01:40:00 AM »

It is a pain to keep up with the annual evaluations but there's no real reason not to do it paris. And, since more and more hospitals are becoming involved in paired exchange programs, the pool of potential matches will go up (didn't you have a couple people who are willing to donate? Would they maybe swap on your behalf?) I think the Alliance for Paired Donation is available near you..? Anyway, I am sorry it's so frustrating and I wish the treatments had improved the PRA status. If it were me, I would not quit the waitlist until you've started dialysis and decided that it is your treatment of choice. Just my 2 cents. :twocents; I wish it was easy. Hang in there my friend.  :-*

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 04:31:31 AM »

Hope it all goes well for you, Paris.....

Love... :grouphug;

Darth...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 08:24:41 AM »

The reality that I have a 2% chance of ever matching anyone and the fact that all these annual tests just line the medical people's pockets with money..... the same people who are against the donor getting a dime is exactly why I won't be listed.  I will not be one who "dies waiting".  I'm not waiting.  They're not making money off me.  The dialysis centers make money off me.... yes.

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 08:13:19 PM »

guys let's not forget our own Wattle who was told the chances of her getting a match were very low... and not that long later she got a 5/6 match?!?!?!!! And that's in a relatively tiny country with poor donation rates like Australia. Don't lose hope!

While it's true that I don't have to go through ongoing tests to keep me on the list (they take transplant bloods every 2 months so they have a fresh sample for cross matching, and to obviously test for nasties etc) I think it is important to do these tests and keep yourself there.... because who knows when or how - like the lottery you need to be in it to win it.....

:grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2010, 03:23:12 PM »

guys let's not forget our own Wattle who was told the chances of her getting a match were very low... and not that long later she got a 5/6 match?!?!?!!! And that's in a relatively tiny country with poor donation rates like Australia. Don't lose hope!

While it's true that I don't have to go through ongoing tests to keep me on the list (they take transplant bloods every 2 months so they have a fresh sample for cross matching, and to obviously test for nasties etc) I think it is important to do these tests and keep yourself there.... because who knows when or how - like the lottery you need to be in it to win it.....

:grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug; :grouphug;

well said- I dont have to go through it- so I probably don't get it, but I am glad you all do the things you have to - to give you a better chance to keep being here- whatever that is.    :grouphug;

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 04:16:14 PM »

Paris, I hope you take everyone's advice and do the tests to stay on the list. I never had to do follow up tests with any of the hospitals where I was listed, just send the blood once a month to Chicago, once a year to California hospitals. The tests are an ordeal, some are even uncomfortable, but I hope you stick with it. Try to schedule them all over one week, get through them, and enjoy your 51 weeks "off".

PRA can fluctuate, too. I don't know if this is something that could happen with you, but mine certainly did. And, when they figure out even better ways to overcome this problem, we want you to be first in line....  :grouphug;

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2010, 02:49:36 AM »

Paris,
Go ahead and get those tests done. Don't shut that door completely yet.I have high PRA's too and know what it feels like to think it's never going to happen. But if you don't do the tests, then it certainly NEVER will happen.Just give yourself a few weeks rest from the thought of doing all of those tests again, and then get to it.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2010, 03:27:06 PM »

You all know I will do them, just like I have for the past 5 years.  I just need to voice frustration where people understand.    They are scheduled for June 15th at the center, then a few others here in town. Just the same old, same old.    My PRA has not fluctuated one degree in all the years.  Just likes to be at 100%.  We spent lots of out of pocket money for the IVIG and Rituxan, and you know those results.  There does have to come a time when you accept what is.  Look how many other members aren't eligible for a transplant.    Yes, there still is the paired donation plan. The one thing we haven't tried.  But,my potential  donor's situations have all changed in the past years.  Also, age will start to become a factor at some point.  Not yet, but someday.     I am active on two lists. The surgeons at both centers are very honest with me.    More than anything, the tests are a reminder of what hasn't happened.  At the beginning, it all seems so simple and I was fortunate to have so many offer to be tested.  Then roadblocks crop up.  My positive energy and Susie Sunshine attitude wears a little thin some days and I just wanted to voice my displeasure and get it off my chest.

Cariad, I am surprised you have not had to renew any of the tests, especially ones involving the heart.  How do the centers know if you have had any health changes or new concerns?  I do the monthly blood sent to the centers. And tests done at one center are accepted at both centers.     I am always the first to do anything that gets me a transplant. Doesn't mean I have to like it!    :rofl;
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 03:29:29 PM by paris » Logged

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2010, 05:35:53 PM »

Paris, I'm not sure why they didn't ask for heart check-ups. Then again, I had to have a final EKG and x-ray before transplant, so if they were going to do that anyway, why make people continually get these checks? I think California basically had the attitude of "That girl is sooooo not getting a kidney off of this list anytime soon, so let's not put her through it." (Average wait was up to 10 years when I was listed!) Chicago was obsessive, making me have tests that no one had requested before, so if I had spent over a year on their list, I think I would have had to redo them.

I can empathize with the frustration and the feeling like you just don't want to be reminded about all of this. Good for you for soldiering on anyhow. I am not at home to Suzy Sunshine, and certainly think it is healthy to just let yourself acknowledge how much this can suck sometimes. I'm glad you're letting it out.  :grouphug;

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2010, 05:58:43 PM »

Thanks   :cuddle;

Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2010, 03:13:14 PM »

I think it's a good sign they want you to have the tests done. It means they have you on their mind and they are looking at your options.
That's good news. My transplant center wants nothing from me. They tell me they'll call me, no need to call them, should they need some tests done.
That kind of attitude tells me they don't expect I'd be getting a transplant anytime soon. (my PRA is 86%).

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2010, 04:16:53 PM »

I waited this year for them to call me. Usually, I remind them that it is the anniversay of being listed and they schedule the tests.  This time, I waited and it only took them 4 months to figure out that it was time.    :rofl;    Really, the only thing gained is their revenue.   It is surprising how different each center is.  You would think there would be some consistancy between them.  Do you send blood draws to you center monthly?  If not, I wonder how they can match deceased donors when they are available.    Someone needs to get all the centers on the same page, at least to make it easier for all of us.       Anyway-- tests will be done. Mammagram, dentist, etc etc.  Yuck!  And then the day at the center.  Oh and I need to meet with the financial co-ordinator again, to make sure I still have the same coverage.   IE: to find out if I can afford to have and maintain a trasnplant.   Again, money.  Last year it was a redo with the social worker to determine if I have finally lost my mind from all of this    :rofl;       I was the one who had to ask about the infusions for PRA.  If I hadn't known what they were, they would have never said I word.  Thanks to IHD, I am a well informed patient.    :2thumbsup;

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2010, 06:44:22 PM »

The tests are done for another year.  There are a couple I need to do locally, but for the most part, I am done.  Nothing new - same as always.  PRA is still 100%. They tell me I am right at the top of the list and could get a call, but the PRA will be the problem.  Dr. said just keep hoping for a miracle.   Also said that she told me 3 years ago I would be on dialysis in a matter of months and she can't believe I am still hanging in there.  But, did mention I would probably feel better if I started.    We discussed aging and what would determine if a patient was too old to transplant.  She assured me they have had many in their 70's and that she wouldn't think about me being too old until I was 80!  They kind of look at me as their pet project.  I am unique compared to the "normal" patients.  HA!!    I am tired -- I think emotions can make you more tired than a workout.   Just glad the day is over. 

cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2010, 07:27:29 PM »

Congratulations, you did it! It sounds like your center is really pulling for you, and that cannot be bad. :cheer:

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2010, 08:19:59 PM »

Get er done. Paris ... don't make me come there and force you to do them...  :boxing;   :cuddle;
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2010, 11:24:14 PM »

Paris, when a patient is on dialysis the center usually sends a blood sample each month to the transplant team.

I am proud of you for taking care of yourself!

Jenna's PRA is 97% so it will be a long time for her, hopefully she can hang on to her Brave Little Kidney for a while.

I hope you get your miracle soon!  :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2010, 11:34:17 PM »

Apologies for being rather thick, but I'm not sure what PRA means; I'm assuming it is a sort of antigen and that the more you have of it, the lesser your chance of finding a good match.  Am I close?  How do you know what your PRA is?  I take it that IVG, etc is supposed to lower those levels?  I'd appreciate any explanation.  Thanks!

Oh, and good for you,paris, for just getting on with it.  Like others said, you gotta be in it to win it.

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 03:26:15 AM »

Panel Reactive Antigens  and yes MM, the higher the PRA, the harder to find a matching donor kidney.  Things like blood transfusions, pregnancies and kidney transplants will generally raise a person's PRA and one knows the number through the testing process.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 06:04:24 AM »

Paris, when a patient is on dialysis the center usually sends a blood sample each month to the transplant team.

The center provides me with red top tubes and mailing packages for monthly blood draws, so they have it for testing.  I just have it done with my regular lab work and they send it off to the center.

Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 02:41:53 PM »

Glad you ran the gauntlet and finished your testing.
Let's hope for that little miracle for you that does happen on occasion regarding a perfect match.
It should be noted here, that Paris did IVIG treatment and it did NOT lower her PRA's. IVIG treatment does not always work.I wish it had for you, though, as I am in the same predicament with PRA's so it makes me very aware.

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 02:48:01 AM »

Interesting. Our transplant bloods are done every two months. Mine's TOMORROW!!! They already have it all prepared in my folder(I saw it on Tuesday). I always sign the form and wonder "will THIS draw be the one?" lol.

Paris glad you got those tests done!!!  :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo; :yahoo;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: June 18, 2010, 07:10:17 PM »

See how well my threats work... 8)  glad you got them done Paris.
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2010, 02:13:40 AM »

Good for you.... we only get tested on a monthly basis once we reach the top 24 of the region list (top 24 including all bloodgroups) I am only no12 on the O bloodgroup list. I can't wait.!!!!!! Once this happens I know I will be taken into consideration for an available kidney.

I hope yours goes quickly.!!!!

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »