I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:07:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Working while on Dialysis
| | |-+  getting fired/hired with kidney disease
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: getting fired/hired with kidney disease  (Read 6580 times)
sullidog
Elite Member

« on: April 21, 2010, 05:20:35 PM »

Diannes post inspired me to make this one. If you were fired from your job because you just had bad atendence do to your kidney disease, and  if you went somewhere else, what is the likelyhood of you being hired? I mean I think if I were let go, it would be hard for me to find another job because of my atendence. They'd see my record and they'd be like well he misses work all the time, we don't need someone like that. Also this brings me to this question, do you discuss your kidney disease in an interview?
Troy

Edited: Fixed error in subject line - okarol/admin
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 07:20:50 PM by okarol » Logged

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 06:37:58 PM »

I have not directly discussed my kidney disease in an interview - I do not think that is appropriate to go into details like that prior to hiring. What I *did* do when I was hired for my current job, which started as a half time job, which was appropriate for me at the time was they asked me why I would want to work only 50% in a job was that I said that it suited my lifestyle to do so. That is absolutely true, but doesn't reveal why.

When I was employed I had a meeting with my manager and director and explained exactly what the situation was. At the time I had not yet started dialysis, but knew it was coming up in the near future. I felt it better to explain to them up front what will happen at some point, rather than deliver a nasty surprise(to them) down the track.

I found they were very supportive and basically said whatever I needed to do for ME would be fine and they would support it. I started D 2.5 years later, and they have been true to their word. They've upgraded my job to 80% time now because they liked my work. They wanted full time, but because of my D commitments 2 afternoons a week we agreed to 80% - that way I wouldn't feel like I was cheating them out of work or anything. I honestly think they would have been happy to pay me the 100% but I prefer it this way.

Now there's talk of potential transplants and again they are like "don't worry about work when you get that call. You just get that bloody kidney and take as much time as you need. We'll worry about work"

I couldn't feel more supported or secure with this - but I feel it also goes both ways in that they appreciate that I have always been up front and honest with them about where I am at. I guess also I do enough good work that they are happy to keep me on. YAY!

I understand and appreciate this is a difficult situation for many and I feel blessed I have such a supportive employer - I know many do not :(

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 07:25:19 PM »

I wouldn't hire me.

:urcrazy;

sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 04:56:30 PM »

I'm glad you have a job like that richard, mine use to be until corperate said it's getting to be too much.
Troy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 05:30:32 PM »

First of all, explain to your employer you need accommodation due to your kidney disease. They are legally required to accommodate you due to the American with Disabilities Act. You will need your nephrologist to write a medical report explaining your limitations or your Company will have a medical disability form for you doctor to fill out.Start documenting everything your employer does if they fail to make accommodations. If you continue to have problems, talk to the Human Resource Dept and explain your issues regarding work.If you want to keep this job, don't let them push you out.But it can't just be based upon your word. Your doctor will have to back you up and you will need medical verification.
       Secondly, if you do apply for a new job elsewhere, you are not required to discuss medical issues with prospective employers. They cannot reject you if you are otherwise qualified.However, they do have the right to ask whether you can perform the work for which you are being hired and choose not to hire you if you can't to the work in the job description.
       Your best bet is to keep the job you have, especially if you need medical insurance and your current employer provides it. If you feel you are being treated unfairly, hire an attorney specializing in employment discrimination. I don't mean to be so blunt about all this, except that this is exactly what I had to do when my kidney disease first started to affect my job productivity. Stand up for yourself, or you may find yourself out of as job with no new prospects due to your illness.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
carson

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 07:20:54 PM »

my dialysis and health in general has no bearing on my work - I have less sick days than most of the staff! And, no, I have never disclosed my illness to a potential employer - People who don't know are too ignorant to make a proper judgement!

2009 infection treated with Vancomycin and had permacath replaced
2009 septic infection that wouldn't go away
2007 began Nocturnal Home Hemo with Permacath
1997 began Peritoneal Dialysis
1982 had cadaver transplant
1981 diagnosed with GN2 and began Peritoneal Dialysis
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »