I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 10:44:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  what potassium level is high?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: what potassium level is high?  (Read 24098 times)
*kana*

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 04:40:07 PM »

Be careful if you are a difficult  blooddraw like I am.  My clinic is terrible at blood draws and for 3 mths my pottasium has been 6.3 and this past clinic visit they were going to give me something to bring it down.  Mind you, I haven't had high potassium since I started D and force myself to drink tons of OJ to keep it up.  They noticed in my chart that I had repeat blood work at the hospital prior to my fistual surgery and my potassium was 3.2 only 2-3 days after their 6.3 draw.  If the blood draw is hemolized it will register higher then normal like in my case.  Good thing I didn't drink that stuff to bring it down or I would have died.   

PD started 09/08
PKD kidneys removed 06/17/09

Failed donor transplant-donor kidney removed,
suspected cancer so not used 06/17/09

Hemo 06/2009-08/2009

Liberty Cycler-11/09-5/13
Nx Stage-current tx
Diagnosed with SEP 2014
-Lady Noir-

Where's your will to be weird?

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 10:45:05 PM »

Yeap, they can get it wrong for sure. About 6 years ago Mike had to go into A&E with a supposed potassium level of 8.3 or something, turns out they got it wrong!

Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free

..Nik..

Fiancee to Mike
Mikes 'history'....
Born September 12 1983
Seizure July 2003 [Unrelated to kidney]
Diagnosed with 'Polycystic Kidney Disease' July 2003 (Wrong diagnosis)
Diagnosed with  IgA Glomerulonephritis April 2004
On active transplant waiting list 2006
Hyperparathyroidism developed gradually
Parathyroidectomy May 2009 (Affected kidney function)
Hospitalized for hyperkalemia June 2009
Catheter inserted June 2009

Started CAPD June 2009
Stared APD September 2009

ABO Incompatible transplant 01 December 2010
Donor = Mikes father Greg
lunadatura

Fate happens, Destiny is what you do with it.

« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2010, 11:27:57 PM »

I was in the hosptial on the neph floor for an undiagnosised mystery illness that they never identified but whilst i was there they said my K was at 6 and they gave my a potassium binder. The docs/nurses said that was pretty high.

Diagnosised FSGS via biopsy 11/2006
Started Dialysis 5/2009
hemo-dialysis except 9.09-6.10 = peritoneal then back to hemo
currently in center hemo 3x per week
Evaluation for transplant July 2010
Almost received transplant 8.13
repeated calls and admissions for transplant since then but no kidney yet
3.1.14 got ideal kidney and having exceptional recovery - creatine went from 8.5 to 1.1 in less than 2 weeks.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2010, 11:52:44 PM »

During my recent hospitalization my potassium was out of whack. In the ER they gave me everything they could to bring it down.  Terrible things, then they made me drink Kaexolate several times a day ( Can you say icky)  to keep it down. Heck, if they just dialyzed me regularly instead of waiting four days....

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
-Lady Noir-

« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2010, 04:47:47 PM »

Potassium binder??!! Really? What is this one called?
Not sure if we have one over here in NZ

Expose yourself to your deepest fear. After that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free

..Nik..

Fiancee to Mike
Mikes 'history'....
Born September 12 1983

Started CAPD June 2009

lunadatura

Fate happens, Destiny is what you do with it.

« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2010, 07:57:43 PM »

Kaexolate= potassium binder - its a gross gray liquid that taste awful and gave me constipation - YECK!!

Diagnosised FSGS via biopsy 11/2006
Started Dialysis 5/2009
hemo-dialysis except 9.09-6.10 = peritoneal then back to hemo
currently in center hemo 3x per week
Evaluation for transplant July 2010
Almost received transplant 8.13
repeated calls and admissions for transplant since then but no kidney yet
3.1.14 got ideal kidney and having exceptional recovery - creatine went from 8.5 to 1.1 in less than 2 weeks.
cookie2008

« Reply #31 on: April 29, 2010, 08:39:46 PM »

I have the opposite problem my is low my neph has me on meds and I can eat what ever has potassium in it, the meds upset my stomach and when I was in the hospital they put it in my iv I had them stop it, it burned and hurt so bad.

Started PD in 11/07
Started Hemo in 7/08
Started NxStage 5/09
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2010, 06:54:14 AM »

I think that more on the unsual side for a dialysis patient isn't it? The low potassium. Either way I do know that too high, or too low can be dangerous. Hope you get this straigtened out.

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
Razman

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2010, 12:50:02 PM »

Two years ago my level was up to 5.8  and I was given a perscription for  Kayexalate ( Sodium Polystyrene Sulfonate USP ) .  It is a powder and I take  2 1/2  tsp  per day (could take up to 16 ) and you mix with a glass of water.  Since I am not on dialysis I can take as much fluid as I want so there is no problem.  Quickly lowered my level to 4.2 .
-Lady Noir-

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2010, 02:24:34 PM »

Kaexolate= potassium binder - its a gross gray liquid that taste awful and gave me constipation - YECK!!

Oh THAT! Haha.. real chalky & revolting, i remember now. Made Mike vomit most of the time..  :lol;
No wonder they couldn't get his potassium down that much. They let him out of the hospital at 6.1  :urcrazy;

..Nik..

Fiancee to Mike
Mikes 'history'....
Born September 12 1983

Started CAPD June 2009

Bub

« Reply #35 on: May 03, 2010, 01:35:06 PM »

For the 1 1/2 that I have been on dialysis my potassium has been less that 4.5 and has lately been 4.0 each time it was checked.  I have had problems with phosphorus, but do not have to worry about my potassium.
-Lady Noir-

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2010, 03:31:52 PM »

Oh dang, Mikes potassium is 6.5 this month! Lately it's been sitting at about 4.0 - 5.0
 :(

..Nik..

Fiancee to Mike
Mikes 'history'....
Born September 12 1983

Started CAPD June 2009

Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2010, 04:50:52 PM »

Mum's was 7.9...

Mind you, her GP phoned me, and told me to get her to the hospital quickly before she had a heart attack!...

She went on dialysis within days....

Darth...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #38 on: August 16, 2010, 04:15:38 PM »

Latest results as of today were 6.9. It shows too high on the report. I can't believe they didn't say anything except that. To me, that's scary. WTHeck.....We will watch diet extra carefully this week. He's been taking better care of his diet lately.

woodsman

« Reply #39 on: August 16, 2010, 05:17:38 PM »

I take 8 teaspoons of Sodium Polystyrene Sulfonate mixed with water (tastes like sand and mud)  2xs a week to keep P down. No dialysis yet but it may be fast approching.
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2010, 06:07:04 PM »

he drinks one bottle of the stuff in the middle of the week. If it doesn't start coming down I bet that'll be increased. He actually drinks it on Wed. instead of going to dialysis. Don't ask! LOL You can lead a horse to water...

texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2010, 06:08:27 PM »

How has the binder been working for you? I'm sorry you have to even go go through that.

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #42 on: August 16, 2010, 06:41:19 PM »

Mine has been 6.1 and 6.0 the last 2 months.  I'd better cut out the M&M's.   ???

pdpatty

« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2010, 02:59:42 AM »

Texas,I hope your husband is AWARE that dialysis isn't just for controlling the potassium level in blood. Remember it is an artifucal means of ridding the blood of all those nasties our kidneys used to remove.

I don't like my 3X a week but it HAS to be done. He really needs to be compliiant so he will live longer.
Sax-O-Trix

« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2010, 03:57:58 AM »

I am not on dialysis (yet), but tend to have higher than I should potassium levels, even when I was at 50% function.  Three years ago when I was at 28% function or so, I had an emergency appendectomy.  I was under the care of a surgeon and my GP.  Apparently my potassium levels were high and my GP ordered a flipping enema in the middle of the night.  I refused it!  No way, it wasn't going to happen.  The next morning the surgeon came in and told me I had probably saved my own life by refusing the stupid enema...  He said the enema could have burst the fresh sutures in my intestines from the appendectomy!  He reamed out the GP, I heard about from one of the nurses.  My GP never mentioned it...  Has anyone heard of an enema as a way to help get K levels down?

Preemptive transplant recipient, living donor (brother)- March 2011
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2010, 06:03:49 AM »

My blood sample has to be tested almost immediately or it haemolyses and gives a false result (way to high) Now instead of the bloods being asessed at the D clinic they are sent to a hospital 12 miles away and by the time they are tested it is the day after.

I have not had an accurate K reading for about 3 months. I'm going to have to see my GP to get an appointment to an NHS walk in clinic. They can test for potassium within minutes of the blood test. Before all this my K was always about 5.2. Now it reads 6.2 but it's either partly or fully haemolysed.

Ken
pdpatty

« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2010, 07:03:36 AM »

I have posted this link before,many times. You do need Acrobat reader  to access it (PDF) BUT it is the best list of foods and their potassium content per 1 cup(8 fluid ounces) measurments.

I have it in my favorites so I can access it any time I need too,which is quite often

http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/Data/SR17/wtrank/sr17a306.pdf
Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2010, 08:50:36 AM »

Wow, I wish this thread hadn't been bumped!  No wonder they wanted Blokey to stay in hospital (his potassium was 7.2 on Friday and is currently still too high; yikes!).  I would like to add that they're convinced it wasn't due to diet, but due to his Blood Baby* as a result of his op last week! 

(* he has a collection of blood in his belly where his tenckhoff was taken out, creating a rigid swollen lump which could take up to three months to disassipate ... he's already had to come off his warfarin because of it; i have far too much to worry about now and will go and stick my head in the sand for a while ...)

;D

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2010, 07:22:06 PM »

I knew someone on dialysis who was put in the hosp. for high K. What ever they gave him there gave him severe diarrhea. I think that was how the K got of of his system. I guess an enema would run along the same lines but I'm wondering about this because if it's in your bloodstream, how would that actually work? Hhmm... maybe someone can help us out with that one. Aww Poppy, I', sorry he's still in the hosp.You DO have a lot to worry about. We're here for you. PS: when a thread is "bumped", what does that mean? I don't want to make any errors.

Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2010, 07:36:44 PM »

when a thread is "bumped", what does that mean? I don't want to make any errors.
With no posts to keep it active, a thread will become history and fall off the bottom of the visible page. If someone accesses it and posts, it will become active again and appear near the top of the list, i.e. it gets bumped to the top.

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »