I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:13:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  Update on my NxStage experience
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Update on my NxStage experience  (Read 2909 times)
Triker

« on: March 25, 2010, 01:23:44 PM »

I've been doing it for a while now, so I thought I'd update my experience. I started feeling better immediately, even as I trained! I'm becoming comfortable with the machine, and correcting the alarms without problem. The downside is I spend more time than I originally thought it would take, but I wouldn't go back to in-clinic care for anything. With machine setup time and taking myself off, it's close to 4 hours daily, rather than 4 four every other day. I feel so much better, and can do it in the comfort of my own home. I watch TV or play on my netbook, and my sweetheart is here to bring me a snack or what have you. My quality of life is much better compared to in-clinic treatments. The nurses, and techs were great at the center, and I miss some of them, but I guess I can visit if I want. I'm very happy to have joined the NxStage community!
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2010, 02:13:36 PM »

:clap;  Sounds really good to me too!  Thanks for the update and I hope more people will be encouraged to push for better quality dialysis.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2010, 08:43:03 PM »

Oh, that's superb news!  I am planning to get onto NxStage once I start D, so I'm particularly thrilled that you are finding it so beneficial.  Thanks so much for the update, Triker?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
Triker

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 09:25:09 AM »

The benefits far outweigh the time aspect. When I was doing in-center, I spent most of my time on the couch when I got home. I would be totally washed out after treatments, and was just beginning to feel better before it was time to do it again. With the NxStage, I'm feeling myself again. I actually have the energy to do the things I used to do. I never have the fluid imbalance problems that I had with in-center either. Oh yeah, and I'm not wearing out my vehicle going back and forth to treatments.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 11:15:06 AM »

To me, it went from being this miserable appointment that I couldn't get out of to a boring chore that I had to do on a regular basis.  Wash the dirty dishes, wash the dirty laundry, wash the dirty blood.  Rinse and repeat!

Glad it's working so well for you!   :clap;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

M3Riddler

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2010, 08:24:15 PM »

The benefits far outweigh the time aspect. When I was doing in-center, I spent most of my time on the couch when I got home. I would be totally washed out after treatments, and was just beginning to feel better before it was time to do it again. With the NxStage, I'm feeling myself again. I actually have the energy to do the things I used to do. I never have the fluid imbalance problems that I had with in-center either. Oh yeah, and I'm not wearing out my vehicle going back and forth to treatments.

Triker,

Glad to hear you feel much better with NxStage. Doing daily treatments is much gentler on the body since you do not have the ups and downs in toxin livels such as with in-center. And the best, you are in control.

Have you had the chance to travel yet with your NxStage?

///M3R

Admin of Dialysis Discussion Uncensored on Facebook