I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 08:21:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  One more surgery scheduled. . .
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: One more surgery scheduled. . .  (Read 6093 times)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« on: March 24, 2010, 04:52:19 PM »

My skin graft is scheduled for April 13.  They are going to cover the giant gaping wound the transplant complications left behind.  Finally!  It's been ready to be grafted since the end of December, and it took this long to get the paperwork, scheduling and pre-tests done.  I had my pre-op appointment this morning in Ann Arbor, almost 5 hours from home.  $100 in gas and lodging blown for a 20 minute appointment to hand me a folder of information about skin grafts, confirm that I would be spending at least week in the hospital while the skin graft seals in place, decide which thigh I want cheese grated, and to have me sign the consent forms.  Honestly, they couldn't have mailed all that to me and called me on the phone?  Yeesh. 

I am looking forward to not having a red, disgusting hole in my gut, though.  I'm tired of twice daily dressing changes, and looking at the giant divot every day in the mirror.  I currently look like I've been attacked by a killer clown wielding an ice cream scoop.  :P If all goes well, I'll at least have skin over it again, even if I'll still have the divot for another 6 months or so.  If everything heals nicely with the skin graft, then they will go again within the next year, and slice me apart and pull the hole edges back together.  They could have done that without the graft, but since the wound has been open so long, my risk of infection for the major revision would have been very high.  With the graft first, when they do go in for the final plastic surgery, it won't be on an open, weeping wound.  Much less chance of any nasty, hitchhiking bugs coming along for the ride.

And hey, I get a free tummy tuck out of all this in the end.  I still don't know if I ever get a belly button back, though! 

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2010, 05:07:13 PM »

Good luck with everything!
Troy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2010, 05:12:08 PM »

Oh my, what a palaver!  I so hope that everything goes well for you!  Keep us all posted, OK?

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 05:40:10 PM »

jbeany, you are so incredibly courageous!  Not that we have much choice, but I really admire your get-to-it, do-what-needs-to-be-done attitude.  I told my husband about all the stuff you've been through and he regularly asks me how that girl from Michigan is doing.  When I tell him this latest thing he'll be bummed.  Need that wound fixed though for sure.   :cuddle;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2010, 05:54:46 PM »

Jbeany, what an amazing woman you are.  It just makes me want to cry thinking about what you still have to go through.  I am glad things are moving forward. I just hate that it has all been so complicated for you.   On the flip side, I am thrilled your kidney is going strong.  Keep us updated.  You know how much we all care   :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2010, 06:39:23 PM »

Best wishes to you! :flower;

Galvo
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 06:46:47 PM »

Good Luck jbeany.

I understand about the pre-surgery folder stuff. since  am dealing with that now for my knee.  Mine had me do test that now have to be repeated. I was rushed to get those test done when I didn't need to since they need ekg, blood, and something else withing 30 das of surgery.

The drive you had sounds like a pain besides the dressing changes. Hope you got a lodging discount if it was by the hospital.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2010, 06:50:28 PM »

Sure hope all goes well for you jbeany. At least you will be rid of the "gaping hole"

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2010, 09:23:41 PM »

Made me laugh with the clown comment hehehe, that's an image for a good nightmare!  :rofl;

You are so tough and I hope you get through this just fine. You really deserve a break, but look like it's going to be a challenge for a bit longer.

Hey who needs navels?

:cuddle; :cuddle; :cuddle;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 03:06:29 PM »

Made me laugh with the clown comment hehehe, that's an image for a good nightmare!  :rofl;

Goofy would have smacked me, wouldn't she?

Ahh, but there are things that have made it sooooo worth it.  Like my latest A1C test result - 5.1!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2010, 03:08:49 PM »

Goofy would have smacked me, wouldn't she?

Ahh, but there are things that have made it sooooo worth it.  Like my latest A1C test result - 5.1!

Hahaha yes, she would have!
That's fabulous about the A1C - wooo hoooooooooooo!!  :yahoo;

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
texasstyle
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2010, 03:11:16 PM »

Belly buttons are over rated anyway lol. Wishing you the best.

caregiver to husband using in-center dialysis 4 years
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2010, 05:01:23 PM »

Good A1C jbeany, that is what mine is also now.

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 07:50:32 AM »

I had no idea you were living with this hole.  They really ripped you a new one!  I hope all goes well for you.  I'm amazed you have kept this so clean everyday with no infection.  Congratulations!  You did it girl!

Best wishes!             :pray;

Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 10:09:39 AM »

:kiss;

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2010, 03:19:00 PM »

Cross your fingers for me, everyone.  I'm headed downstate tomorrow for the surgery on Tuesday.  I'm supposed to stay at least 5 days in the hospital, so I won't be online for a while. 

I'm hoping the only thing I nearly die from this time is boredom.  Excitement is vastly overrated!

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2010, 04:13:02 PM »

( I just changed this post since I had pasted something by error here.)

Excitement is definitely overrated jbeany.  I'll be thinking of you all week.   :grouphug;
« Last Edit: April 11, 2010, 09:27:47 PM by monrein » Logged

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 04:39:45 PM »

Hiarious! But, unfortuneately, true. Same here in Oz.

Galvo
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2010, 08:42:42 PM »

Hope all goes well jbeany. If it's not the hospital, it's the trafic that get's yah before the boredom can kick in.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 05:50:18 AM »

OMG I could just here Susie's comment to your Clown and the icecream scoop analogy.. :rofl; good luck bean we will be praying for a good turn out. No belly button no more dust collector..one less thing to keep clean... :) .
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2010, 06:42:17 PM »

Ahh, home sweet home!  My hospital stay was pretty much completely boring, which is exactly how I wanted it.  I had to do 4 days of strict bed rest, only out to use the commode, so my butt is completely numb.  A few more days and it would have died of lack of circulation and fallen off. . .  but no such luck for now.  The skin graft set well, and I just need a follow up appointment in 10 days to take out staples and see if it's safe to stop bandaging it.  The donor site on my leg is on fire like a bad sunburn, but only when I'm moving, so not too bad to deal with.
I did spend some of my time banging my head against the wall from sheer frustration.  They started me on a combination cardiac wellness and diabetic menu for meals.  I told the dietitian that I didn't need either - my cholesterol is so low now (LDL of 48!) that I've stopped the statin meds, and the new pancreas was working perfectly, so my sugar is under control.  They did manage to change the diet setting in the computer - today, when I was on my way home.  They never did manage to update it that I wasn't on the statin, so they brought me the pill to refuse each and every night, right along with the multivitamin they decided I had to have, with the iron in it that makes me throw up.  I just kept refusing to take them, and each new nurse just kept acting confused. And the diabetic diet planner in the computer system cracked me up with every meal.  Diabetics are supposed to average 50 carbs per meal.  I stopped eating bread or drinking juice for the most part ages ago, so I would never mark enough carb choices on my menu selections.  The computer would read that, and pop out random menu selections to fill the carb count.  I got some of the strangest things - saltines with breakfast, and 3 servings of peaches for one lunch dessert!

The most exciting thing that happened all week was the transport team getting the wheels of my stretcher stuck in the elevator flooring, and listening to them swear in rapid Spanish when they couldn't get it to budge and kept pinching their fingers trying to wedge it loose.   ;D

Other than the usual idiot hospital policy frustrations, it wasn't too bad.  I got lots of sewing done for the next craft show, watched lots of cable that I can't afford at home, and finished 4 novels.  Now, I'm off to sleep in my own comfy, non-plastic bed.  I'll be back over the next few days to catch up on all the posts I've missed!

MooseMom
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2010, 07:50:15 PM »

I'm so glad your butt didn't fall off as that would have made you kinda off balance... :sir ken;   Time for you to resume normal operations and quit lazying about!  Seriously, though, I know it has been a long road for you, and I hope that now you can heal well and enjoy your life again. :cuddle;

"Eggs are so inadequate, don't you think?  I mean, they ought to be able to become anything, but instead you always get a chicken.  Or a duck.  Or whatever they're programmed to be.  You never get anything interesting, like regret, or the middle of last week."
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2010, 08:04:39 PM »

Jbeany, you always make the best of the situation you are in. Most of us would be moaning and groaning, but you were sewing and reading!  You are an exceptional lady.  The things you have been through the past few months would have brought most of us down.   You make us all stronger just by your example.   How are you feeling?   Sending good wishes and healing thoughts your way.  And a little love too!  :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2010, 09:15:47 PM »

Glad your home and made it out ok jbeany.
Don't they go over your meds with you when admitted? Everytime I am admitted they go over my meds. I also bring copies of a list of my meds I made in Word that I based off a hospital discharge sheet, just more colorfull.

I hate it when they put me on the diabetic renal diet at first. I always tell the doc so that they will change it.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2010, 10:04:59 PM »

Good news, jbeany. Aren't hospitals wonderful places to leave?

Galvo
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »