I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 08:34:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Site Requests, Comments, Technical Help.
| | |-+  This site is a gem, let's treat it as such
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: This site is a gem, let's treat it as such  (Read 14492 times)
BASSMAN

« on: February 18, 2010, 06:43:28 PM »

You may be thinking who is this new guy, but I have been a member here 2 years now.  I find it hard to believe myself sometimes.  So, I feel comfortable with posting this.

I have scoured the internet for information on dialysis, transplants and all things concerning CRF.  I am convinced and was convinced two years ago that this site is the best source of information on the net.  That is why I joined.  I think the admin and mods do an outstanding job of running this site.  I am familiar with internet forums.  I have been a member and I actually moderate on a guitar forum on the internet.

Besides the valuable information, this site has a memorial section for deceased members.  Let's keep it a family.  Love your brother, forgive your brother and continue to support each other.

Be cool!!!

We all have bigger fish to fry, KIDNEY DISEASE!!!

EDITED:Moved the site comments threads-kitkatz,Moderator
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 12:59:27 PM by kitkatz » Logged

Membranous Glomerulonephritis confirmed by biopsy in  April 1989
currently Stage IV CRF
GFR 18
Creatinine 3.9
AV fistula (radiocephalic) placed September 24, 2009
Began transplant evaluation November 11, 2009
Completed transplant eval and approved for transplant February 10, 2010
Received confirmation letter I am on the UNOS list February 18, 2010
Wife began donor testing March 1, 2010
Received living donor preemptive transplant from spouse July 22, 2010

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/phillipjohnsen
Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2010, 07:28:34 PM »

Amen Bassman, Amen.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2010, 07:39:33 PM »

You may be thinking who is this new guy, but I have been a member here 2 years now.  I find it hard to believe myself sometimes.  So, I feel comfortable with posting this.

I have scoured the internet for information on dialysis, transplants and all things concerning CRF.  I am convinced and was convinced two years ago that this site is the best source of information on the net.  That is why I joined.  I think the admin and mods do an outstanding job of running this site.  I am familiar with internet forums.  I have been a member and I actually moderate on a guitar forum on the internet.

Besides the valuable information, this site has a memorial section for deceased members.  Let's keep it a family.  Love your brother, forgive your brother and continue to support each other.

Be cool!!!

Well said Bassman.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
rocker

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2010, 08:05:29 PM »

Be cool!!!

I totally agree.

It's been a lot of years since high school, I'd really rather not deal with people shoving other people into lockers and generally being the cool kids.
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2010, 08:08:13 PM »

:2thumbsup;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 07:50:46 AM »

Thanks everyone.  :thumbup;
hurlock1

THIS MEMBER IS BANNED FROM IHD

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 09:53:08 AM »

I Hate to bring this up. Having had some of my posts, topics, moved from "Dialysis: general disscussion  because they were "off topic", thinking that "dialysis: general disscussion" was general disscussion and findng that it's general disscussion about dialysis. This topic is off topic. I wouldn't mention this except for the fact that my "off topic" posts were moved to a different place.
Yesterday, there was a post that was off topic that had gone into two pages. I wrote a similar reply and the topic magically dissapeared. No "this topic has been moved to. . ."
It seems to me that I'm being singled out. I realise that this is probably paranoia. But I do know something about people in a position of control that have had their jobs too long. They may have the best intensions, and they may not even know they are doing it, but they let things slide if it suits their purpose and put the hammer down, when that suits their purpose.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 10:28:59 AM »

I Hate to bring this up. Having had some of my posts, topics, moved from "Dialysis: general disscussion  because they were "off topic", thinking that "dialysis: general disscussion" was general disscussion and findng that it's general disscussion about dialysis. This topic is off topic. I wouldn't mention this except for the fact that my "off topic" posts were moved to a different place.
Yesterday, there was a post that was off topic that had gone into two pages. I wrote a similar reply and the topic magically dissapeared. No "this topic has been moved to. . ."
It seems to me that I'm being singled out. I realise that this is probably paranoia. But I do know something about people in a position of control that have had their jobs too long. They may have the best intensions, and they may not even know they are doing it, but they let things slide if it suits their purpose and put the hammer down, when that suits their purpose.

James,
I moved the thread you mention at your suggestion.
http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=17801.msg310340#msg310340
We do not post alerts that topics were moved to the proper place.
We cannot please everyone and we do the best we can.
If you find a better forum, let me know.

okarol/admin

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
2_DallasCowboys

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 10:42:20 AM »

I totally agree with Bassman!!!   This site saw me thru my
most horrible days, when my husband went into abrupt
kidney failure.   I did not join rite away, but spent so much
time reading and reading.
It gave me the knowledge about his condition that I so
desperately needed.  I thank Epoman for starting it, and
the mods for their unselfish work in maintanining it.
Prayers and best wishes to all,

Anne
hurlock1

THIS MEMBER IS BANNED FROM IHD

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2010, 04:05:23 PM »

okarol,
I'm not complaining. This ain't no party, this ain't no disco. After reading the post from Sluff, I realize that this is yall's toy. We are just the parts. It's OK.
James,
I moved the thread you mention at your suggestion.
http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=17801.msg310340#msg310340
We do not post alerts that topics were moved to the proper place.
We cannot please everyone and we do the best we can.
If you find a better forum, let me know.

okarol/admin
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2010, 04:10:17 PM »

I should "fix" the quote so it is not all in blue, but I'm NOT touching it!

:rofl;

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2010, 04:26:51 PM »

:banghead;
James, I am not going to fix your last post so you can see for yourself the types of things we usually have to repair whenever you post -- since you typed your new message right in the middle of my quote. Got it?

okarol/admin

dh514

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2010, 04:30:14 PM »

I found this site the week I started  PD training which was 16 months ago. I still work a full time job, so do not post much but I do read daily. When I started PD I would have been totally lost without this site. I am grateful for all those who give their time to this site especially Karol as I know it takes an enormous amount of time to find and post all of the articles you do.

Again thanks to everyone who makes this site possible.

Debbie
BASSMAN

« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2010, 05:08:19 PM »

hurlock1

You are correct, I did post in the wrong section and I should have known better.  I must confess, I did do it on purpose and that was wrong to do.  I was going for maximum exposure.  I would post it in every section if I wouldn't be banned as a spammer.  I felt that strongly about it.  My apologies to the members, mods and admin. 

Take a breath and relax.  Let it go.  Be my friend. I'll chat with you, get to know you.  You can bend my ear.

You don't want to leave the site.  I can tell.  People that leave an internet site just leave and don't return.  The dramatics of people threatening to leave and demanding change gets old.  The shear numbers in membership alone are testament to the quality of the site.  People join and stay because they like the site.  They are doing something right.  I rarely see spam on the site and things stay civil most of the time.

Anyway,  I just wanted to show support for the mods and admin.  It seemed like they were getting bagged on. I ain't kissing ass either.  Just calling in like I see it.

I won't be the least bit upset if the thread gets moved.  My fault, Sorry.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 09:32:10 PM by BASSMAN » Logged

currently Stage IV CRF
GFR 18
Creatinine 3.9

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2010, 05:16:38 PM »

I have scoured the internet for information on dialysis, transplants and all things concerning CRF. 

This actually qualifies it as General Discussion - because dialysis is mentioned, just FYI.

okarol/admin

BASSMAN

« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2010, 05:20:45 PM »

Well, thinking about, I guess it does, good point!

currently Stage IV CRF
GFR 18
Creatinine 3.9

galvo
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2010, 05:38:18 PM »

Bassman, I'd just like to add my support to your comments.

Galvo
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2010, 06:20:41 PM »

i say *right on*....... hugs and support to ALL.....

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2010, 07:30:44 PM »

Yes, this site is a gem. It is a lifeline for many. It is a place for support. It is a place for some to vent, and vent, and vent. It is a place for some to find community among those who simply understand something about their situations. It is a place for some silliness. It is a place for some to play games. And it is a place to just say hi or sit quietly and listen.

For me, it has been a place to find some happiness in helping others. That has been the surest way for me to fight back the demons of depression.

But I have also been able to get to know many wonderful folks and understand some of their journeys that are very different from mine. I’ve seen amazing strength, amazing sorrow, darkest depression, wings of happiness. I’ve witnessed deep conviction alongside outright bigotry. There is youth and age, inexperience and wisdom. Rich and poor, and every color of skin imaginable, because after all, we are all color blind in cyber space. There has been genuine love and empathy and some of the utmost pettiness imaginable. There has been whining and there has been the sharing of triumphs.

There have come pleas for help from the depths of despair and there have been helping hands reaching out across the empty miles.

There has been life and there has been death.

In short, I’ve seen all sides of humanity in all its beauty and ugliness.

IHD is a living breathing entity, filled with the souls of all of those who have come and those who have gone from its pages.

Several times while reading through the threads I have heard people say that they know what Epoman wanted when he started IHD. I find that interesting but not a compelling reason for maintaining the status quo. Is IHD a shrine to Epoman or a site for the living? Can it grow and change or will it stagnate because its followers must carefully interpret the will of Epoman in all their decisions? Are the leaders more concerned about delivering edicts from the grave or listening to the concerns of members and looking for ways to improve an already fabulous site? Is IHD a community of equals or a cult? I don’t ask these questions lightly.

I hear concern among the members about being treated like children. On more than one occasion, I have observed threads evolve as the adults struggle with ways to better understand one another. It isn’t always pretty, but it is usually a critical component of a strong community. And I really, really worry when “authorities” tell the community members that they may not air criticisms publicly. What message does this send regarding trust and respect?

I grew up with a father who had issues with anger control and I can recognize that tendency in others. It would be good policy for folks (including administrators) to refrain from posting when angry. Many difficulties could be prevented if that simple rule were followed. I know from many years of experience dealing with parents of students in my class that when writing a response to communication during a period of high emotion, it is best to let is sit before sending. I have been able to avoid many unnecessary conflicts this way, while also letting my emotions escape in an appropriate way. I edit my response when I feel more rational about the situation and then send it.

I have seen many instances where there has been a response that flows from high emotion. Ironically, the only apologies I have seen for this behavior have come from the side of membership and not administration. Admission of human error garners respect. Maintaining the pretense that one makes no mistakes looks foolish or even worse, arrogant and unkind.

I have also seen cases where humor has been misconstrued. The written form of communication misses all the nuances of voice and gesture. Even now, I can hear my tone of voice perfectly and feel the loving emotion I am trying to send through the soft smile on my face, while the gentle reader receives none of that important essence of my communication. The emotionless written words, by contrast may feel harsh, humorless, or haughty.

The members on IHD represent a vast resource, not only of information regarding renal failure, but of ideas for improving the site. It is a shame that instead of treating the members as folks who may have valid points to make and positive suggestions for change, the attitude is, IHD: Love it or Leave It.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
BASSMAN

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2010, 09:13:47 PM »

I have seen internet forums that are not strictly moderated and I would not join one.  IHD does reflect the REAL WORLD of kidney disease with all it's warts, but a site not moderated would quickly turn sour just as the real world would fall into anarchy without laws and people to enforce those laws.  I have seen sites turn to crap by under moderation or no moderation.  I prefer a moderated site.  That is why "I" joined the site. 

Everybody here joined the site because they liked it.  I have not witnessed or experienced any of the mistreatment you describe so again, "I am just calling it like I see it".

The following paragraph not directed at anyone in particular.  Just my 2 cents.
If I didn't like a site I would leave it.  I wouldn't expend the time or energy to try and sway hundreds of people to see it my way or try to start anarchy within the site.  That's silly.  Life is too short.

I look at an internet site as a big social gathering and I prefer to behave the way I would in a real life situation.  Some people like to hide behind the internet and act like a horses ass because they have anonymity.  Cyber bullies.  It is really sad.  Without moderation, even this gem of a site would quickly turn sour.

currently Stage IV CRF
GFR 18
Creatinine 3.9

Mimi
Elite Member

For any who do not like me I use - prayer.

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2010, 11:58:42 PM »

We are all adults.  Adults are supposed to be mature and mature adults are not rude to other people.  They are not rude to people on a forum with them, nor are they rude to people in real life.  Being rude is not acceptable in any circumstances  Each person that comes here to post is sick or they are caregivers to a loved one who is sick with kidney failure.  The fact that each of us is sick still does not alter the fact that we must always be courteous to all others.  As the old saying goes 'we will forget what people say, we will forget what people do. but we will never forget how people make us feel.'  We can disagree with others without being sarcastic and mean.  This site is a lifesaver to many of us.  It teaches us how to cope with this horrible disease, how and what to eat, the medications to take or not and the symptoms that are dangerous and those that are not.  Let's all band together and make this site the biggest, best and most informative site there is and most important the most caring site of all.  Amen to all of the good things that have been said and let's keep it up.  Thanks to all of the admins and moderators.

Love, Mimi   

Death is not extinguishing the light;
it is putting out the lamp because the dawn has come.
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2010, 03:30:26 AM »

Mimi, I agree with every thing you say. Its time we drew a line under this.
Ken Shelmerdine
Elite Member

Life's a bitch and then you go on dialysis!

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 05:57:34 AM »

Just to add my 2 penn'orth: This forum has been a godsend to me since I started dialysis. The knowledge I have gained and the friends I have made  is immense. Thank you from the bottom of my heart to our moderators who mange the site so well and give so much of their time. This is Epoman's
fantastic lagacy. Long may it continue. LONG LIVE IHD!

Ken
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2010, 08:32:38 AM »

We are all adults.  Adults are supposed to be mature and mature adults are not rude to other people.  They are not rude to people on a forum with them, nor are they rude to people in real life.  Being rude is not acceptable in any circumstances 

I really don't agree with that sentiment. Such a lack of banter would make life very dull. As an example, here's a delightful quote of Jay Leno being rude to George W Bush:

He says he works out because it clears his mind. Sometimes just a little too much.

On the other hand, it mustn't get out of hand. It's the moderators' job to set the general tone of the forum. I think they have it right for IHD.

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
Slywalker

« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2010, 08:54:06 AM »

I might as well lend my two cents.  Bassman thank you for this thread as it gives people a chance to thank the creator of IHD as well as the moderators and administrators.   :clap; :clap;

I found this forum when I was about to start dialysis after a 10 year odyssey of kidney failure.  I lurked for months.  The great thing I loved about this sight is it validated my feelings, medical experiences and the community gave support to each other.   Living with a chronic disease can be a lonely time.  Especially if you are living with a disease that doesn't show on the outside a problem.  If you have a broken limb it is obvious and people can have an understanding of the issue. Unless your PD tubing is hanging outside your clothes or your fistula is evident because of its location and short sleeves there is no outward sign you have a chronic disease.  Family members and friends don't understand what you are going through because they are not living it.  That is another great reason for this site - people who hang out here know you are tired, they know that you may have been fighting with an insurance company, they know that within the medical profession there are unkind workers, they know our meds are pricey - just to name a few of the issues.

Having disagreements and feelings getting hurt is not unique to this site.  It happens on every forum I have been a part of - including a breast cancer forum where you think there might not be unrest.  But every six months or so someone would post some bratty post and all #$%#$ would break out and people would threaten to leave, feelings would be hurt and the support portion of the forum would disappear for a few days.  Eventually someone would start a thread, much like this one, and calm would once again come over the land.

This post of mine is way too long - usually I'm still a lurker more than a poster - but people really need to sit back and take a deep breath or chill pill before responding to a post they don't like or perhaps just not respond at all.  Just like Mimi said being rude is unacceptable.  Everyone needs to respect each other. 

The administrators and moderators have a thankless job.   I think they are doing a terrific job.  My guess is this takes up a lot of their time.  this is a volunteer effort for them and we should thank them every day for their dedication.

IHD live long and prosper.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »