I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 04:19:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Beware the Flu Shot
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beware the Flu Shot  (Read 5005 times)
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« on: November 11, 2006, 11:41:44 AM »

They were giving free flu shots at work the other day so I thought why not.  Better to walk down the hall and get it out of the way than drive over to Kaiser, go up to the third floor, and then fight to get back on the freeway.  Anyway I had the shot mid morning, by night I was really beat, just about falling asleep by 7:30.  I was out of Cellcept and had to get to the local Kaiser pharmacy that night to pick up the order so I pushed myself out the door and ran over there half asleep at the wheel.  By the next morning I felt almost hungover which is pretty unique since the last time I was really that way was in 1986.  Anyway the next two days were a blur of aches, pains, sleep, sleep, and more sleep.  Now on day 3 I'm starting to feel more like myself and am ready to go do something.  I can't think of anything that would have caused this other than the flu shot. Be careful with this year's flu vaccine, it might mess you up. 
Fighter

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2006, 01:37:40 PM »

I'm getting my flu shot on Monday, and I'm sure that it's such a great idea. Apparently even having taken the shot you can still catch the flu and a lot of people spend a rough couple of days after the shot. In your case I guess the immunosuppressive meds didn't help. That being said, dialysis patients also have a weakened immune system... We'll see what happens.
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2006, 03:21:21 PM »

I have the flu shot every year and this year i had a reaction the injection site got really hot, red and swollen and the side of my face started to swell i had a really fat lip, went back to the DR and they could put it down to the flu needle not sure if I'm game to have one next winter..

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2006, 09:23:19 PM »

I received the flu shot at the end of October.  I had no problems.

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2006, 08:02:13 AM »

I have put a request in at my dialysis unit for the flu shot in around two weeks. I want to give myself time to heal from the surgery before I get another thing going!  Besides it hurts to cough and sneeze right now and Lord knows what the flu shot will do to me!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2006, 09:54:07 AM »

Got mine in October also.  No problems.
AlasdairUK

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2006, 11:58:49 AM »

I have never had a flu shot. I do not see the point as you are only protected against the one strain of flu. The virus could mutate and you are not protected. Most people I know normally have some symptoms after the shot.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2006, 10:53:10 PM »

It was recommended that Jenna get a flu shot so as to be healthy in the event a transplant became available. When I took her in the
nurse said "What about you Mom?" Since I am so needle phobic I said I didn't think so. (Poor Jenna, going to dialysis 3 days a week
and I can barely look at a needle! I am such a wimp!) The nurse then said that the caretaker especially needs to get a flu shot, and it
would be a good idea for other household members as well. So I did it. Didn't hurt a bit. No side effects. (It was "live" virus, which
the nurse claimed was important, not sure why..?)

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Joe Paul
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2006, 02:01:20 AM »

Got my flu shot early last month. Got a couple of side effects, such as stiff joints and a nasty headache. I wasn't the only one with those symptoms, was 3 others at the clinic who had similar effects.

"The history of discovery is completed by those who don't follow rules"
Angels are with us, but don't take GOD for granted
Transplant Jan. 8, 2010
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2006, 07:51:18 AM »

Everyone is different. I don't get side effects but they warn me to keep a watch on my arm they stick it into. Some people get side effects. Do what is best for you. My dialysis unit asks if I want it so I have a choice. One of my friends are totally against ever getting it and has never had the flu without ever getting the shot (but he is healthy) and he went over seas to Korea and still has never had the flu in 40 years.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 12:40:01 PM »

I have never had a flu shot. I do not see the point as you are only protected against the one strain of flu. The virus could mutate and you are not protected. Most people I know normally have some symptoms after the shot.

It's more than just one strain - they try to predict several that are the most likely to be a problem that year.  They don't always get it right - but it will still protect against a couple versions, even if it doesn't cover them all.  I figure it's worth it to avoid at least a few chances of getting sick.

I got mine yesterday - no problems so far.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 04:17:54 PM »

I've had flu shots for the past 3 or so years without problem. I consulted my nephrologist beforehand and he was very keen on getting it done for general health and since you don't want to be sick AND on dialysis/suffering from ESRD. So far I have had no problems with the shots. We get the same doctor every year and every year she goes to do my left arm and I have to point at the fistula and say "Other arm, please!" and then she remembers and says "oh it's you. You really need this more than most..."

and of course I go in there not worrying about the relatively tiny needle whereas other staff are all looking a bit green at the prospect... I really would love to take in a 15 giuage dialysis needle sometime, whip it out in the line and say, Paul Hogan style "That's not a needle! Now *THIS* is a needle..... and I get 2!" :D

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
coravh

« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 04:19:05 PM »

It's more than just one strain - they try to predict several that are the most likely to be a problem that year.  They don't always get it right - but it will still protect against a couple versions, even if it doesn't cover them all.  I figure it's worth it to avoid at least a few chances of getting sick.

I got mine yesterday - no problems so far.

That's right. They include several strains and you are also partially protected from other strains that are similar.

I've gotten my flu shot every year for the last 6 or 7 years. Sometimes my arm gets a bit red or sore but that has been it except this year. Now maybe it's just coincidence, but about 8 hours after I got the shot I started getting cold sores on my lip. I do get one every now and then, but by the next day my upper lip was so swollen that I looked like Bubba in Forest Gump. I ended up getting an oral anti-viral in addition to my topical stuff. The swelling has gone down (I got the shot Mon., and today is Wed.) and the antiviral stuff helped, but I'm going to have a lip full of scabs for a few days. Yuck. I suspect it was the flu shot because I have never had an experience like this before. I'll still get the shot next year though. I had the flu once as a kid and because of my diabetes it landed me in the hospital. Never again!

Cora
« Last Edit: May 03, 2007, 02:50:29 PM by coravh » Logged
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2007, 09:10:26 AM »

My husband got his flu shot Oct 31st got the flu within couple days finally made him go get labs Dec 20th since he was'nt getting better he was starting to have swollen legs and just really tired next morning we get call his creatine was 4.9 was at transplant center within the next hour found out after biopsie that his body went crazy making antibodies to fight off the flu and they turned around and attacked his transplanted kidney he had for 14yrs they were able to clear acute rejection but not chronic his creatin is now down to 3.1 so he's going back on the list March 30th. Transplant Dr's said if he never wants to get a flu shot again he won't give him a hard time. What happened to him  is Very rare just wanted to share our story though. Amy

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2007, 09:13:53 AM »

This year's flu shot had no effect on me whatsoever when I got it two months ago. Ususally I get sick but this one, nothing. Thank goodness.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2007, 10:30:17 AM »

I got my flu shot, still got the flu too... however, I got the flu after my transplant so, no immunse system really. I expected it.

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2007, 10:10:36 PM »

Diabetes and Flu/Pneumococcal Campaign - National Center for Chronic Disease Prevention and Health

Although people with diabetes are more likely to die with the flu, about 50% do not get an annual flu shot. Pneumococcal disease kills more people in the United States each year than all other vaccine-preventable diseases combined, and people with diabetes are at greater risk.

CDC's Diabetes and Flu/Pneumococcal Campaign, a part of the ongoing public service campaign, Diabetes. One Disease. Many Risks., encourages people with diabetes to get flu and pneumonia shots.

State and territorial partners working on this campaign at the state and local levels may use the following materials and, if desired, localize them by adding state contact names and statistics. Please do not alter the CDC logo, CDC staff quotes, or any of the scientific facts and statistics.

For more information go to http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/projects/cdc-flu.htm,
or call toll-free
1-800-CDC-INFO
1-888-232-6348 TTY or contact your local diabetes prevention and control program. (http://www.cdc.gov/diabetes/states/index.htm)

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »