I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 11:25:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  smell of waste ....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: smell of waste ....  (Read 10104 times)
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« on: February 17, 2010, 09:31:58 AM »

Ok  now I have a problem with smell from the waste line....  stinks up the whole room...   so what are the rest of you doing about the smell..... 

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
HubbysPartner

Our first New's Year's together - A new beginning

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 09:37:04 AM »

If you look in your pureflow manual, you will find the procedure for cleaning the waste line under the maintenance tab.  What we do is flush the line with vinegar once a week and then do the bleach cleaning according to the instructions in the book, usually once a month or more often if it gets really bad.

It can get nasty, can't it Kathy???     :puke;

Caregiver to husband, Lou, diagnosed 2/2008
4/2009 - Fistula
10/2009 - Started NxStage training
112009 - Finished training; at home with nxstage

Our family - husband, Lou; me, Marge; sons, Marc & Keith; daughter, Liz
Be still and know that I am God. - Psalm 46:10
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 09:39:10 AM »

No  mine is very new I have only used it 4 or 5 times yet.... so its not that type of mess.... yet.....LOL

I am talking about the smell from the waste it self.....   it has a order of chemical  or something...... 

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

- John Muir
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 01:03:08 PM »

Where are you draining it? Ours goes in the tub and after treatment we run water in the tub to wash it out.

When we travel we run the line into the toilet.

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Malibu

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 04:01:07 PM »

I know what smell you are talking about...we had that smell the 2nd week of training and were told it sometimes stinks during dialysis.  It went away and we have not experienced it yet.  A plumber came to our house and we have the drainline going into a drain he put in near the sink.  He attached a semi-permanent thingy that came with the equipment.  The waste is not visable with this set up so perhaps we can't smell it because of that.  ? 
Zog

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2010, 06:24:27 PM »

Where does your waste line dump?  Where ever it dumps there is most likely a drain trap that stays filled with the last water put in the drain.  Run some fresh water down the drain after dialysis to clean it out.  Ours dumps in our washing machine drain.  If it smells bad, we just wash some clothes and it goes away.  We used to have it in another room where it ran it to a bathroom sink.  We tried to run enough water in that sink everyday to empty the trap of waste dialysate.

Don't be afraid to move your machine into a separate room far away from the drain.  Our water and drain line snake along the baseboard and through two small holes I drilled in the baseboards through the wall to our laundry room.  There isn't anything special about the waste line for the pureflow.  You can buy very similar 1/4" tubing and connectors to the ones NxStage supplies at just about any Home Depot or Lowe's.  I think you have to keep your drain lower in height than the machine or you will get high waste line pressures.

We got tired of cleaning the waste line for the pureflow and just use a disposable line for the cycler.  We replace it every two months or so.  Needless to say, don't ever pipe your waste line directly into a house waste line without an air gap or you will have backflow problems.

If it smells bad, that's good you are getting urea out of your blood.  Urea contains nitrogen and that makes ammonia and ammonia smells.

My wife is JDHartzog. In 1994 she lost her kidneys to complications from congenital VUR.
1994 Hydronephrosis, Double Nephrectomy, PD
1994 1st Transplant
1996 PD
1997 2nd Transplant
1999 In Center Hemo
2004 3rd Transplant
2007 Home Hemo with NxStage
2008 Gave birth to our daughter (the first NxStage baby?)
silverhead

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2010, 06:46:07 PM »

I believe the connector (gray) on the back of the Pureflow is a back flow preventor,  I ran the line to a place in the wall that backs up to the bathroom, made a small hole in the wall and it plugs into a NxStage provided device that clamps around the drain line, you drill a small hole through the drain pipe then simply push the drain line into it. The trap above it prevents any smell from entering the room, just remember to flush the line once a week and we have no problems......

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Zog

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2010, 05:55:51 AM »

I think you are right about the built in backflow preventer.  We stopped using the pureflow waste line for our cycler waste after a year or so because it seemed to clog up way too often.  I think I remember being up at 3AM for a high pressure alarm while it was making a batch being the last straw.  I was able to save the batch after pumping bleach through the waster line with a 30 mL syringe, however I was very sleepy the next day.

We should probably just replace the whole pureflow waste line sometime (it will turn 3 this year), but running separate lines is working fine.  Whatever works...

My wife is JDHartzog. In 1994 she lost her kidneys to complications from congenital VUR.
1994 1st Transplant
1996 PD
1997 2nd Transplant
1999 In Center Hemo
2004 3rd Transplant
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2010, 08:36:02 AM »

Ok   I see the fix..... Right now  we were lazy and just have the machine hooked up in the dinning area and running waste into the kitchen sink...   I know .....but  it is temp....   Need to get some strong hands to get that machine and pureflow up stairs....  into the sitting room and plum it in to the bathroom....  I guess I better get those helping hands over here to help.....   and get it done......    I hate to ask for help  and  I hurt my arm last week so I was waiting for it to get better so that I can do it myself.....   I like to do everything myself....  LOL     the pureflow is a heavy unit....   I think it weights about 100lbs.....  but if my arm was normal.... I would get it done..somehow....  LOL

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

- John Muir

- John Muir
Zog

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2010, 12:35:36 PM »

You can take the aluminum tub and the computer out of the pureflow box to make it lighter and then reassemble upstairs.  If you have a Pak in it you may have to prime a new one when you remove it to move it.  Make sure you leave enough time to prime a pak and make a batch before you move it.

1994 1st Transplant
1996 PD
1997 2nd Transplant
1999 In Center Hemo
2004 3rd Transplant
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »