I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:48:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Dialysis: Workers
| | | |-+  Do you like your dialysis nurse?....I just want to know if they are nice to you?
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Do you like your dialysis nurse?....I just want to know if they are nice to you?  (Read 33455 times)
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #50 on: August 28, 2008, 02:26:21 AM »

we have a big turn over for techs and nurses mainly b/c of the administrator
she is the one who needs to leave
we have had good nurses leave b/c this lady is hard to work with
the techs leave also
there are a few techs who are her pets and they stay and they are not very good
go figure---- the let good nurses and techs go and keep her
ask the patients who are the employees worth keeping-------- we know
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2008, 05:04:36 AM »

our nurses are very nice. but there are a couple of techs that need to go.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Gramapat

« Reply #52 on: November 13, 2008, 01:55:31 PM »

I like all of the nurses I have had in my unit except for one.  He is not a regular nurse in my unit but one they call in when he is needed.  When another nurse is taking a vacation or calls in sick, etc., they call him in.  I tried really hard to like him but you know "that straw that broke the camel's back" happened a week ago.

First of all, several months ago he didn't check my chart to see that they couldn't pull off the amount of fluid it appeared I had gained.  I still didn't know how to check my machine and didn't know to ask what was being taken off.  At that point, the very most that had ever been pulled off without my BP dropping and me getting sick was 2.0 (liters?) He "tried" to take off 3.4!!!  I got so sick!  He kept giving me back fluid but I was so sick, I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital.  I didn't go to the hospital but I was sick even after I got home from dialysis.  This stupid nurse said he thought there must be "something in the air or something going around" and that was why I was sick.  :urcrazy;

A few months later I noticed that whenever he was there, he just sat playing on the computer even when the techs needed help.  One time one of the techs actually had to yell to him 3 times!! that he needed help before this nurse quit playing on the computer to go help.

So - the straw that broke the camel's back.  Last week I had weighed in but my chair wasn't ready yet so I was sitting waiting near the front desk.  This nurse was behind the desk and was getting injections ready.  I could not believe my eyes!  Evidently he had a cold or something.  First he got up and was coughing and went and spit in a waste container.  Ewww!  Grossed me out.  Then he wiped his mouth with his hand.  He then goes and sits down to continue preparing injections without washing his hands or putting on gloves.  He coughs all over the injections while he is preparing them, wipes his mouth and continues.  As soon as I was called to my chair, I complained to my tech and my nurse.  They were going to talk to him.  I hope they did.  I am waiting to see the director to complain personally to him also.  I will NEVER allow him to be my nurse ever again.

I absolutely love all the other nurses in my unit but it just makes me sick to think about the bad nurse.
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #53 on: November 13, 2008, 02:34:01 PM »

Oh Lord..I think I would have had to have a tantrum right there in that chair......no way would I have allowed any of that stuff near me..I am bad enough about watching that they use gloves etc...    :Kit n Stik;

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Wallyz

« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2008, 05:05:15 PM »

Liked all the Hot Nurses and techs.  Especially the single Moms.  My wife didn't for some reason.
Gramapat

« Reply #55 on: November 13, 2008, 06:19:52 PM »

G-Ma

I did not let any of the stuff he prepared near me!  I asked my nurse who prepared my injections before I told her what had happened.  She had prepared mine.  I was not quiet about complaining and to their credit, both my tech and nurse did nothing to try to quiet me down.  Other patients could hear me and I wanted them to.   ;D
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #56 on: November 13, 2008, 06:32:32 PM »

I'm very very fond of all the nurses and machine maintenance guys and receptionist and two techs at my small unit.  They joke around with us and we actually have a lot of fun quite often.  I always feel they care and some of us aren't always "easy".  I don't use the staff for anything at all now but we chat and catch up and I feel very attached to everyone there, patients and staff alike.  One very sweet older guy who I make a point of stopping by to say hello to, always lights up when he sees me and when I ask him how he is he says "Much better now you're here".  I wish I worked there rather than dialyzed there but it's a good spot I think.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2008, 12:59:46 AM »

I just wanted to say that I was very touched by my nurses yesterday when I went into dialysis.

They gave me a card (with a cat with a birthday cake on the front and a kidney on the back!!) and they had all signed it with lovely kind messages and sweet things. I've not seen them do that to many other patients... I guess that means they like me (although it could also be the rather expensive cake I brought in for everyone to enjoy !!!! :) ). It just really touched me that they would go to that effort and they all came and wished me a happy birthday and it was just very kind.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Gramapat

« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2008, 12:35:52 PM »

Last night when I walked in to my center, I saw who my nurse was going to be - HIM!  I realized that I hadn't told anyone that I didn't ever want him as my nurse again.  So I marched straight over to one of the techs at the desk and had a little discussion with her.  She took care of it for me and the other nurse on duty took over my care for the night.  I don't know what they told him and I really don't care.  Monday I will be calling early to make sure it is in my chart that I don't want him as my nurse.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »