I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:47:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Nocturnal
| | |-+  I So Want To Do Nocturnal Hemo!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I So Want To Do Nocturnal Hemo!  (Read 4326 times)
Bub

« on: February 04, 2010, 07:07:28 AM »

I so want to try nocturnal hemo. I have always had a problem with my phosphorus too high from day one. I understand nocturnal might give me better control.  I have fistula pain with high pump speeds, with nocturnal the pump is slower. Many other benefits that make nocturnal interesting to me.

But there is only one nocturnal center is Tulsa and there may be transportation problems.  But the biggest obstacle is that I would have to change centers.  I am such a creature of habit that I hate change.  Even change for the better is stressful.

Oh what to do, what to do?
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2010, 07:18:55 PM »

I love nocturnal.  Although Thursdays morning it is hard to crawl out of bed and go to work. My bloodwork almost always hits the mrk and my phosphorus is good now.  I feel awake and that dull walking in a cloud feeling has left.  I go in at 7:30 to 7:40 and set myself up on the bed, then they hook me up and I tease the techs.  Then I put on my headphones and watch TV until nine. I have some Benadryl and slide off into sleep until 2:30 or 3 in the morning. I am off by 3:40 or 3:50 usually and in the car by 4 a.m.   

« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 11:23:12 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 05:21:13 AM »

Could you take a "vacation" to the other center? Ask to visit as a transient patient for a couple weeks. Then you would know what you're switching to; if after a week it is obviously the best fit for you then you can make the switch permanent.

You could have fun with it and do other tourist activities in your town - visit Tulsa.

One possibility too, is that once you give it a try you could report back to your home unit how much better you feel etc and maybe they would decide to give offering a nocturnal shift a try.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
mogee

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2010, 09:58:24 PM »

Is nocturnal home hemo an option for you?  It is much better than in-centre.

PKD and IgA Glomerularnephritis
Nocturnal Home Hemo since 2004
Deceased Donor Transplant November 6, 2012
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »