I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 11:27:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis - NxStage Users
| | |-+  What is your dry weight?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: What is your dry weight?  (Read 3497 times)
Malibu

« on: January 28, 2010, 07:52:11 AM »

What is your dry weight?  Is it in round number, I mean 82.5, 83, 83.5, etc.  Or 82.7, 83.3, etc.
Zog

« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 08:14:11 AM »

I don't know if some people would be willing to give that number.  Good thing it is in kilograms and no one (in Amurika at least) things of being fat in kilograms.

My wife is down to 64.5.  She was at 82 when she gave birth to our daughter and 77 before she was pregnant.

My wife is JDHartzog. In 1994 she lost her kidneys to complications from congenital VUR.
1994 Hydronephrosis, Double Nephrectomy, PD
1994 1st Transplant
1996 PD
1997 2nd Transplant
1999 In Center Hemo
2004 3rd Transplant
2007 Home Hemo with NxStage
2008 Gave birth to our daughter (the first NxStage baby?)
Malibu

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 09:34:54 AM »

OOPS, I was not meaning to find out what people weighed.  What I really wanted to know is...is your dry weight a round number or a number ending in 5 or 0 only or is your dry weight whatever you have decided it needs to be no matter what the number, such as 92.4 or 98.8.  :embarassed:
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 09:41:40 AM »

If you are in-center, they do seem to be obsessed with keeping it at a round number or one ending in .5.  I never could figure that out.  It's not like it's harder to punch in a number ending in .3 or .7.  It's bad enough they seem to expect us to be the exact same weight every day of the week, now it has to be a round number, too?  I always seemed to be running something ending in an odd number when it came time for clinic and the doc would officially reset my dry weight to match the real weight I had lost over the past month.  He likes to round down to the next even kiliogram or half-kilogram.  At one point I just shrugged and told him he could write down whatever he wanted - it wasn't gonna make my ass instantly smaller just because it was in writing!  (He just laughed - he was used to me by then.)

One more reason to keep track of your own weight, and set your own goals for each run.

Zog is right - uh-uh, no way am I posting my weight on here!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Zog

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 11:59:07 AM »

We found that some scales in centers are always rounding to the nearest 0.5 kg.  We do home hemo and the center provided us with a cheap digital scale that read in 0.5 increments and seemed to malfunction.  Some of those scales will automatically repeat the last reading to make it seem like they are accurate.  We thought about buying a balance scale when she was pregnant on dialysis (miscalculate dry weight = placenta raisin), but we settled on a weight watcher's scale from Target.  It reads in 0.1 kg increments, and is pretty accurate, although it is off sometimes.

IMHO most small digital scales use strain gauges which can be affected by temperature, battery voltage, etc.

My wife is JDHartzog. In 1994 she lost her kidneys to complications from congenital VUR.
1994 Hydronephrosis, Double Nephrectomy, PD
1994 1st Transplant
1996 PD
1997 2nd Transplant
1999 In Center Hemo
2004 3rd Transplant
2007 Home Hemo with NxStage
2008 Gave birth to our daughter (the first NxStage baby?)
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 12:51:18 PM »

When doing home hemo, it was standard for me to take three different weights and average them.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 07:39:48 PM »

I'm at 77.8. I was 78 for ages, but challenged and went down by 0.2 I was going to wind up at 77.5, but when I next challenged it wasn't so good, so decided to leave at 77.8. In general I think they tend to like to keep the numbers round because it's easier to add up the difference (sometimes the math is a bit beyond some of them  :rofl;). They are happy for me to keep it at .8 though.

I don't care who knows my weight. My BMI is perfect at 23! WOOHOO!  :rofl;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 08:29:03 PM »

If you are in-center, they do seem to be obsessed with keeping it at a round number or one ending in .5.  I never could figure that out.  It's not like it's harder to punch in a number ending in .3 or .7.  It's bad enough they seem to expect us to be the exact same weight every day of the week, now it has to be a round number, too? 

:rofl;

fc2821
Elite Member

Just another hamster on the dialysis W.O.F.

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 06:42:33 AM »

Right now I am at 87 kg.  I have gained some weight   (my wife is a good cook  :clap; :clap;), and as usual it was a struggle to get them to raise the dry weight.    I was at 85 kg.  Which is about what I have weighed for years, dialysis didn't change that, luckily.  Changed a lot of other things in my life, but not that  :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

In center hemo dialysis since Feb 14, 2007. 

If I could type properly, I'd be dangerous!

You may be only one person in the universe but you may mean the the universe to someone else.
Malibu

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 02:04:42 PM »

jbeany: "they do seem to be obsessed with keeping it at a round number or one ending in .5.  I never could figure that out.  It's not like it's harder to punch in a number ending in .3 or .7.  It's bad enough they seem to expect us to be the exact same weight every day of the week, now it has to be a round number, too?"  Hahaha, This is so true.  What is the deal?  I guess I will have to inform them of this as well.....MM is not a round number, deal with it.
sullidog
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 04:14:13 PM »

They can't find a dry wait for me because I urinate normal and have and never have had any fluid retention. It's around 55 kg but even that is unsure since like I said no fluid retention.
Troy

May 13, 2009, went to urgent care with shortness of breath
May 19, 2009, went to doctor for severe nausea
May 20, 2009, admited to hospital for kidney failure
May 20, 2009, started dialysis with a groin cath
May 25, 2009, permacath was placed
august 24, 2009, was suppose to have access placement but instead was admited to hospital for low potassium
august 25, 2009, access placement
January 16, 2010 thrombectomy was done on access
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »