I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 02:09:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Things To Do On Dialysis~
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Things To Do On Dialysis~  (Read 22025 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« on: October 26, 2005, 06:35:48 PM »

I usually get the crapy chair that has poor lighting, no TV and cold air blowing on me.  So, I can't read, or do much.  I'm thinking about getting a DVD player to watch movies.  The center said I can't plug it in.  So, any suggestions on what kind to get?  I want a small one that is light so when I get tired of it on my lap I can throw it at one of the Nurses!  (JK)   >:D

Any other suggestions?  What do most of you do to pass the time?

LifeOnHold

« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2005, 06:56:04 PM »

I usually bring my knitting-- I sit up while I'm working on it.

I almost had to fight to be 'allowed' to knit while on the machine-- "You'll make the machine alarm if you do that!"  I said, "OK, if the machine keeps alarming, I'll stop... but let me try it first."  Guess what?  The machine DIDN'T alarm!  (Which really ticked some other patients off, because their machines alarm if they even breathe the wrong way!)  I knit for about 2 hours, then put it away and recline my chair.  If I was at home I'd be knitting, so bringing my projects in to dialysis makes me feeli like I'm accomplishing something and not just sitting on my ass doing nothing for 4 hours.

Still Kicking Deaths Ass
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2005, 08:01:35 PM »

Me, I have tried doing different things while on dialysis. I've tried writing, watching movies, listening to radio talk shows, reading, video games, but nothing really consistent. I think those 3 hours are the longest hours, I can't stand it. Maybe I'll try crossword puzzles next. I really wish I could browse the net while on dialysis, that would make the time fly for me. I am always on the internet and the time flies when I am at home. 

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
O in

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2005, 08:25:18 PM »

I usually bring my knitting-- I sit up while I'm working on it.

I almost had to fight to be 'allowed' to knit while on the machine-- "You'll make the machine alarm if you do that!" I said, "OK, if the machine keeps alarming, I'll stop... but let me try it first." Guess what? The machine DIDN'T alarm! (Which really ticked some other patients off, because their machines alarm if they even breathe the wrong way!) I knit for about 2 hours, then put it away and recline my chair. If I was at home I'd be knitting, so bringing my projects in to dialysis makes me feeli like I'm accomplishing something and not just sitting on my ass doing nothing for 4 hours.
I usually get the crapy chair that has poor lighting, no TV and cold air blowing on me. So, I can't read, or do much. I'm thinking about getting a DVD player to watch movies. The center said I can't plug it in. So, any suggestions on what kind to get? I want a small one that is light so when I get tired of it on my lap I can throw it at one of the Nurses! (JK) >:D

Any other suggestions? What do most of you do to pass the time?
Hi Rerun and LifeOnHold- try this for size

Sessions are Tues, Thurs and Saturday unit opens 6.50am -- after setting up and programming MY machine I get the techs to needle me (arthritis in my hands) put myself on the machine usually about 7.15 - fill out machine check and treatment observation forms - then settle down to sleep. 
The techs bring coffee around 8.30 - 8.45 - some times they wake some times not.  Anyway on awakening it's breakfast time - two manderines, a banana and a wholegrain bacon and egg sandwich now 9.00am (more or less)

Read part of last Sundays weekend newspaper now 11am (more or less) prepare saline syringe and tapes ready to come off. Then get tech to draw v needle (and this is the part I hate most with a very low platelet count it takes me up to 20, sometime 40 minutes to close (FOR EACH needle)  so there I sit like a big dummy while others finish and wave bye bye.   
That’s Tuesday - now Thursday is the same and I finish that Sunday paper.  Saturday also is the same except that I have to buy the Saturday paper which after dumping the sport, motoring, real estate and employment sections in the rubbish what is left is so full of advertisements there is hardly enough left for two hours reading.
I hate like hell having to pay for what I don’t read.   This is a rave site right?
cheers o in
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2005, 10:08:39 AM »

The thing I would most love to do is impossible.  I would love to be ablle to read, but I do not read in that position.  I read lying on my side with the book on the bed in front of me, or seated at a table.  the other thing that I would love would be as Epoman said - being able to use the computer while I was there.
My number one activity now is sleep.  In all, I sleep about 2 and  half hours out of the 4 hours.  My number two is watching television - if I am in one of the chairs which can see the TV.  Number three is chat with a patient who happens to be from my country, about my age group, and who, it turns out, was taught by one of my sisters.  But this also depends on if we get chairs near to each other.
If I don't get to do Two or Three, I just sleep and think.
LifeOnHold, thanks a lot.  I am going to do my knitting there.  I have a few unfinished things at home.  I will bring them and finish them there.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2005, 08:29:39 PM »

I bought a portable DVD player today.  I have to charge the battery, so I'll see how it works on Saturday.  I also bought a mini book light so I can see to read.  It worked okay until my hands got so damn cold I couldn't hold it.  Next is gloves! 

Bajanne2000:  Have you ever thought about books on CD or tape.  I really enjoy them.  But, hey if you can sleep, go for it.

LifeOnHold

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2005, 02:21:12 PM »

I went to dialysis wearing my Halloween face paint... a stylized beak and wings on my face.  Everyone got a kick out of it, but MAN did it itch after about an hour!  But I kept my hands busy with knitting and finally the itch went away-- I didn't want to smear the paint and had no way to fix it while on the machine.

I'm still wearing it now... I might keep it on until my friend Fred and I go out to dinner, unless it really embarrasses him!  It's washable poster paint so it comes right off with soap. 

(I was going to dress up like a dialysis patient, but when I got to the unit, everyone else had the same idea!)   ;D

Still Kicking Deaths Ass
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2005, 02:46:55 PM »

I went to dialysis wearing my Halloween face paint... a stylized beak and wings on my face.  Everyone got a kick out of it, but MAN did it itch after about an hour!  But I kept my hands busy with knitting and finally the itch went away-- I didn't want to smear the paint and had no way to fix it while on the machine.

I'm still wearing it now... I might keep it on until my friend Fred and I go out to dinner, unless it really embarrasses him!  It's washable poster paint so it comes right off with soap. 

(I was going to dress up like a dialysis patient, but when I got to the unit, everyone else had the same idea!)   ;D

I was thinking of going as a "Kidney" with a sign saying have you seen my owner?  ;)

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

cabarle

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2005, 06:10:00 PM »

I've been watching TV until I doze off. I have a portable DVD player (I hacked it to make it region free) >:D
I don't know if the VA will allow me to watch - I know they don't allow cell phones in the waiting area or in the chairs. I'll report back tommorow with my findings.
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2005, 07:56:51 PM »

I've been watching TV until I doze off. I have a portable DVD player (I hacked it to make it region free) >:D
I don't know if the VA will allow me to watch - I know they don't allow cell phones in the waiting area or in the chairs. I'll report back tommorow with my findings.

Man ALL the techs at my center use cell phones. Let us know about the DVD player.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2005, 08:19:22 PM »

I liked my DVD player.  The time went a lot faster and it gets a little warm which helps in that ice box.  I watched Ghost on Saturday and Sideways tonight.  These are ones I had.  The neighbors have offered to have me look through theirs.  They have 6 kids, so I bet I will have lots of movies to watch. 

LifeOnHold

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2005, 11:17:10 AM »

I also like to deface the propaganda literature that Fresenius stocks the waiting room with-- I like to 'creatively edit' the brochures while I'm on the machine.  It passes the time and makes me laugh... I like looking through past 'edits', it gives me new ideas for articles about dialysis.

Still Kicking Deaths Ass
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2005, 03:08:05 PM »

Please share some with us.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2005, 04:35:17 PM »

I also like to deface the propaganda literature that Fresenius stocks the waiting room with-- I like to 'creatively edit' the brochures while I'm on the machine.  It passes the time and makes me laugh... I like looking through past 'edits', it gives me new ideas for articles about dialysis.

Do you have a scanner?  >:D We would love to see your handy work.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

LifeOnHold

« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2005, 06:46:46 AM »

I don't have a scanner, but I remember one from the "Dialysis Dave" baloney:

Top Ten Reasons To Come To All Of Your Scheduled Treatments

(It had a numbered list, including Fewer Hospitalizations, Less Itching, etc.)

I crossed out Number 1 and wrote:  If you don't show up, we don't get paid!

It's still hanging on the wall in the Isolation room... I don't think anyone has noticed it, since nobody reads the crap they put up on the walls, anyway!

Still Kicking Deaths Ass
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2005, 07:28:54 PM »

I don't have a scanner, but I remember one from the "Dialysis Dave" baloney:

Top Ten Reasons To Come To All Of Your Scheduled Treatments

(It had a numbered list, including Fewer Hospitalizations, Less Itching, etc.)

I crossed out Number 1 and wrote:  If you don't show up, we don't get paid!

It's still hanging on the wall in the Isolation room... I don't think anyone has noticed it, since nobody reads the crap they put up on the walls, anyway!

;D

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

cabarle

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2005, 06:23:03 AM »

Man ALL the techs at my center use cell phones. Let us know about the DVD player.

Life is good at the VA Hospital. I am able to watch my movies so long as I use my own headphones. Even with the TV's that are provided, headphones are mandatory.
LifeOnHold

« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2005, 06:31:46 AM »

Oh, how I wish TV headphones were mandatory at my unit!

With approximately 90% of my unit consisting of people over the age of 70, it seems that EVERYONE is hard of hearing and likes to blast the TV... as if it's not loud enough in there already with the machines and yakking, yelling nurses!  Then I look like the bad guy when I ask the nurses to turn down the speakers.

Headphones were handed out last year when we all got our own TVs, but most patients conveniently lost them, and the unit doesn't have any more.

(I would like to know why the same people who blast the TV also SNORE at top volume, too!)

Still Kicking Deaths Ass
cabarle

« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2005, 05:20:41 PM »

With approximately 90% of my unit consisting of people over the age of 70, it seems that EVERYONE is hard of hearing and likes to blast the TV... as if it's not loud enough in there already with the machines and yakking, yelling nurses!  Then I look like the bad guy when I ask the nurses to turn down the speakers.

Headphones were handed out last year when we all got our own TVs, but most patients conveniently lost them, and the unit doesn't have any more.

(I would like to know why the same people who blast the TV also SNORE at top volume, too!)

Funny. The nurses demand headphones in my dialysis unit. Also, they're nice enough to get ice and all the lollypops I want! If any of you are vets in the NorthEast Ohio Area, the VA Dialysis unit ROCKS.
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2005, 12:02:45 AM »

Funny. The nurses demand headphones in my dialysis unit. Also, they're nice enough to get ice and all the lollypops I want! If any of you are vets in the NorthEast Ohio Area, the VA Dialysis unit ROCKS.

OK!  >:( now your starting to sound like "oldborris"  ;)

Members who remember "oldborris" posts before he passed know what I mean.  >:D

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

cabarle

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2005, 07:23:26 PM »

Sorry, I don't know who "olldborris" is, but today's selection was musical (Pink Floyd). I watched a couple of bootleg concerts: "The Wall - Live @ Earls Court", some post Roger Waters concerts from 1994, Roger Waters RADIO KAOS in concert, and "Battle Royal" - A japanese movie about kids fighting & killing each other on a Japanese Government controlled island. I have to say, it was better than watching the TV.

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2005, 10:08:59 PM »

Sorry, I don't know who "olldborris" is, but today's selection was musical (Pink Floyd). I watched a couple of bootleg concerts: "The Wall - Live @ Earls Court", some post Roger Waters concerts from 1994, Roger Waters RADIO KAOS in concert, and "Battle Royal" - A japanese movie about kids fighting & killing each other on a Japanese Government controlled island. I have to say, it was better than watching the TV.

Yeah I saw "Battle Royal" In fact I watched it during dialysis a few years back. I really enjoyed it.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2006, 08:36:10 PM »

In the old clinic, they had hooked up a DVD player to the TV system, so I was able to watch all the Netflix movies I wanted.  It's a great deal for Dialysis patients, becuase you can have 3 movies at a time.  Your whole week is set up right there.

We just moved to the new clinic a month ago and it's nice and shiny, but only 22 channels and no DVD player.  The clinic manager keeps asking me what would make me happy and I keep telling her that we need the DVD player back.  I can't afford a portable right now and I'd rather they hook up the DVD player that they transferred from the old center.

But as you know, if it isn't considered "necessary" they won't take care of it.

Keeping me from going mad and distracting me from my burning needles, you think that would be filed under "Patient Needs."

I'm on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday afternoons and let me tell you...there's nothing on TV in the afternoon.

Sigh.

Stacy Without An E
http://stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
kevno

« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2006, 05:11:20 PM »

Your lucky Stacy, in the UK in our Unit we can only get 4 channels >:( I am on Tues, Thurs and Saturday mornings. If you think the TV is bad in the afternoons. Try it in the morning. Got a portable DVD player to try to keep me sane ;)

Kevno

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2006, 08:27:48 PM »

Things to do to make dialysis time go faster:

Ask the nurse if you can use your other arm.

Sing silly songs off key to the techs.

Ask everyone Do they come here often.

Bring a slinky and use it from the chair arm, to the table, to the floor. Ask your tech to pick it up every two minutes.

Play Frisbee with other patients.

Bring a Battle ship game. Play with another patient. Yell out the numbers really loudly as you play.Every five minutes yell "You sank my Battleship!"

Complain every few minutes that you forgot your headphones. Leave the headphones dangling from the TV.

Bring a ketchup packet, open it,pour it on your arm, and yell "I'm bleeding!"

Describe in great detail the last dialysis treatment you had. Compare this one to it.

Make up a wrestling name, refuse to answer to anything but it.

Wear sunglass and a hat in the unit the entire time you are there.

Call the unit on your cell phone, ask to speak to you.

Ask them if you can have your treatment "to go".

Play a tape of tropical sounds, use a Jamaican accent.

As you are leaving yell "Free, free, free at last. Thank almighty God, free at last."

Tell the doctor your life story in detail when he comes by to ask you how you are feeling.

Call the nurses and tech by the wrong names.

Add to the list......

Katherine

« Last Edit: July 29, 2006, 01:17:07 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »