I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 11:32:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Things To Do On Dialysis~
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Things To Do On Dialysis~  (Read 22020 times)
kevno

« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2006, 08:35:11 AM »

:-X :-X :-X

But this little saying keeps me going!!

"RENAL PATIENTS NEVER GIVE UP!!!!!!"
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2006, 01:11:40 PM »

Have you tried the game Kevno??  Oh, wait you have to be able to count to 9.   >:D

kevno

« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2006, 01:35:26 PM »

Thats what I thought about you over 5 and you have had it ;D I know that a few of the OLDER patients on the unit is all they do all the time"Sudoku" yawn! I just like to watch TV, DVD'S or torment the Nurses. The only trouble is I am stuck in a chair :-\ NO ESCAPE!!!! from the nurses. Plus yes tried, done many different levels, and bored not for me :-\ It's seems to be all the older one's on the unit who do "Sudoku" ;D Thats the thing for you Rerun "SUDOKU" Thinking about it katkatz should try it too >:D

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2006, 09:17:08 PM »

Hate Soduko.  Hate it!  I throw the puzzles away from me every time I try to do one of them! They just frustrate me! I guess I can't count to nine the way they want you to.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kevno

« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2006, 05:38:23 PM »

Yes I think it is for the OLDER patient to kill time on the machine. Rerun ;D >:D One of Epoman's Old 45's :D Right I'm off before I get in any deeper ::)

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2006, 09:33:14 PM »

Make up an imaginary world and populate it with all kinds of weird people.  Talk about it with the techs and nurses.  Go be in it for the four hours you are on the machine!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« Reply #56 on: August 24, 2006, 09:48:51 AM »

I have to say that a lot of people sound quite negative about their units.  All I can say about mine is, is that the nurses and staff there are excellent.  I can bring in any electrical gadgets I like (apart from mobile (cell phone) (do I have to explain things to our American cousins or do you understand our phrases in the UK?).  The only thing I get annoyed with (apart from being hooked up to a machine 12+ hours a week) is that my ass gets numb and no matter how much I move about or how many coushins I use, my ass still goes numb.  Anyone got a cure for this???

SCOTLAND NO.1
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #57 on: August 24, 2006, 12:46:09 PM »

I know it is hard to move when you are hooked up but i used to find a way to shift from side to side,  Mattyboy,  may i ask if they gave you the option of PD? 

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
MattyBoy100

What's dialysis?

« Reply #58 on: August 24, 2006, 01:16:43 PM »

Yes, I was given the option of PD (if that`s the one you do at home) but I don`t like the idea of a catheter coming out of my stomach and as I`m working full time I don`t want to empty a bag four times a day or be connected to a machine overnight cos sometimes I have to start early in the morning etc and as I live with my father I don`t think he could provide the necessary support should anything go wrong.  I may be wrong in my perception of all this but the main reason is I don`t like the idea of a catheter out of my stomach and I`ve heard that the dialysing fluid in your stomach can stretch your stomach.

SCOTLAND NO.1
Bear

« Reply #59 on: August 24, 2006, 06:46:26 PM »

I just lurrrv typing 2 parge paragraphs...only to be told I've timed out & lost it!  Aaaarrgh!

waves...Bear
Bear

« Reply #60 on: August 24, 2006, 07:59:19 PM »

Yes, I was given the option of PD (if that`s the one you do at home) but I don`t like the idea of a catheter coming out of my stomach and as I`m working full time I don`t want to empty a bag four times a day or be connected to a machine overnight cos sometimes I have to start early in the morning etc and as I live with my father I don`t think he could provide the necessary support should anything go wrong.  I may be wrong in my perception of all this but the main reason is I don`t like the idea of a catheter out of my stomach and I`ve heard that the dialysing fluid in your stomach can stretch your stomach.
O.K., I'm back for another go (if I can remember what I said!)......THere are pros & cons to everything, MattyBoy! First off, you can do Haemo at home too. I do.
But getting back to P.D......I did it for a year, but it didn't work for me. Clearances were crap. But they did say it didn't work well for big people, and I'm one!  ::)
Also, people have very different membrane efficiencies too....
*BUT* for those that it works for P.D. has a lot of advantages. You won't need support from your father, as exchanges are very straightforward. I used to do 5
exchanges a day: 2 @ home, morning & evening; 2 at work, at my desk; one overnight, attached to a machine that would do the drain/refill process automatically
for me at a set time (I had 02:00 set), while I slept. Doing it at work does depend a lot on you and your colleagues attitudes, I guess. You can pile the car up
with bags & travel away whenever you want. YOu can pre-arrange deliveries of bags to a distant/foreign location too, if you want.
 Like I said, it didn't work for me, so I _had_ to go to Haemo. But with nocturnal home haemo available where I am, I said "where do I sign!?"  ;)
I wouldn't swap & the clearances are great & I feel quite well now, after a year of haemo. But it can be a hassle & is restricting - difficult to get away,
with units needing a lot of advance warning & even then often t oo full to take you.
 But whatever you end up doing, I wish you well. Keep posting like the rest of us!!  ;D

« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 08:05:33 PM by Bear » Logged

waves...Bear
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #61 on: August 24, 2006, 08:06:13 PM »

This topic is "Things To Do On Dialysis".  You are getting way off subject.  But, most important, this is good information and should be put in a place where people will read it.

Rerun - Moderator

Panda_9

« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2006, 11:16:46 PM »

MattyBoy100, you generally dont need a care giver for doing PD. It is all very easily done on your own and is quite safe. The catheter isnt all that great, but Id prefer that rather than a fistula, at least a catheter is only temporary. Being on the machine overnight gives you alot more freedom and providing you are not on an extremely long treatment regime, it should be easy to work in with your working hours. Its quick and easy to set up, and you will know what time you need to hook up so that you can be finished in time to go to work. I really prefer PD any day! It doesnt stretch your stomach, it stretches your peritoneal membrane, which is the lining of your abdominal cavity. As far as I know, there are no common problems occuring as a result of this. After a couple of weeks your body gets used to it being stretched. I think it goes back to normal if you ever come off PD.
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2006, 02:24:00 AM »

Thanks for listening Amber.   >:(

Thread Locked - Rerun - Moderator

Panda_9

« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2006, 03:03:22 AM »

I didnt see your post rerun before I posted.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
« previous next »