I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 09:30:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  Not sure what to do ... pls help
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Not sure what to do ... pls help  (Read 3434 times)
Lyuda

« on: December 09, 2009, 06:54:53 AM »

Hi,
I am new here.. I am 40 years old and knew about my condition for a long time....  I am on the transplant list for almost 2 years at John Hopkins. I am not on dialysis and my husband  approved to be my donor. Well, yesterday my doctor called me and my test results are not so good and he want to proceed with the surgery...... My questions to you all , what should I do ???? My husband has same blood type, but we are not a match... I feel so far good , or I make my self think I am feeling good....  should I stay longer and wait for a better match or do it...scare to death... My doctors saying " it up to you , but I don't want you to get sick....."   I will appreciate any advice.

Thank you.

Edited: Fixed subject line error - okarol/admin
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 07:55:14 AM by okarol » Logged
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 07:56:18 AM »

Hi, Lyuda,

What is the number match between you and your husband? Even a 1/6 living donor match is better than a 6/6 cadaveric donor match.

I know this is a difficult decision to make, so get as much information as you can.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 07:59:18 AM »

Hi Lyuda,
I am sorry about the matching problem with your hubby as donor. Did they say if it is an antibody problem? Try to get more information if you can. It can help determine your options as far as a transplant.

Surgery - is that for a fistula? They usually do it before you get too sick, giving it time to mature. You can continue to work on getting a transplant even while you have this done.

I know you will get more answers from other patients. Welcome and good luck to you!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Lyuda

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 08:29:59 AM »

we are 0/6 match, but same blood type and don't have antibodies. Surgery = transplant

Thank you
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 08:45:14 AM »

Oh I see. I was confiused.
My daughter's donor was a 1/6 match. Right before the surgery they found a mild B cell antibody mismatch, but did plasmapheresis and went on to surgery. She is nearly 3 years post-transplant and is doing great.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 10:36:20 AM »

I got a kidney from my sister-in-law (0/6 match) in February and so far things are going very very well.  I'd go for it if I were you.  My understanding is that the newer drugs make the numbers far less important than they used to be and only a 6/6 gives any significant edge but still not crucial.  Don't let your body get too run down.

And of course Karol is correct that a living donor kidney is always better.

Best of luck whatever your decision.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
greco02

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 10:39:03 AM »

What about a Kidney Swap program?   Here is a link to a recent story.   

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local-beat/COUPLE-SWAP-KIDNEYS-72999792.html

My husband and I are having our first consult this next Tuesday.  At our first class we were told about these new swap programs.   I am more than willing to give my kidney to a stranger if Jim is assured that he will get a kidney from someone else...and I am told that is exactly how it is done.   Don't give up hope.  They are doing some wonderful things these days. 
billybags
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 11:13:03 AM »

First of all Lyuda welcome to the site you will get lots of info from The family Do not be afraid to ask any thing you want. About the transplant, I went with my husband who is on pd to a seminar, xmas get together last week. The neph did a speech and transplants were brought up. he said "not to quote me" that having a live donor is so much better, even though the match is not too good. With the drugs that are available now, things are so much better. Sad to say my husband is 69 and we have now been told that his age is against him for a transplant.  it is very rare for them to do a transplant over the age of 65, and also you have to be really healthy. Wish you all the best.
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 02:21:21 PM »

I'd say go for it.  Believe me, they wouldn't be letting you do it if they didn't think it would work!  Wow - what a choice to make though...

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 05:16:37 PM »

4 years on the list, I would jump at it!   You can't know if there will ever be a better kidney to come along.  "A bird in hand is better than two in the bush" --- my Mom use to always say that.  Your transplant team wouldn't recommend this if they didn't feel good about it.  Let us know what decision you make.  It is hard, especially when you feel ok. But, you could feel wonderful again!   Good luck   :2thumbsup;     :cuddle;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 09:56:02 PM »

I would say : go for it!

You will go through a rough period but in the long term it seems the right thing to do.

I know because I am in exactly the same boat. I feel relatively good, are pre-dialysis and are having my transplant from a friend next year.

It is the most difficult decision I have to make and I change my mind almost daily..... but so far  my positives outway the negatives.

Good luck.

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
Wallyz

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 12:03:01 AM »

Prayers for you and your Husband.  If you can get a transplant before dialysis, you have a better chance of a really positive outcome.  If I were in your position, I would do it now.
Jie

« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2009, 09:13:17 PM »

I would probably go for it too.  A 0/6 match living donor transplant is better than a 6/6 deceased donor transplant.

Here are the 5-year draft survival rates for HLA matching from OPTN for all transplants:
                     C.I.
0/6  65.6%  64.1-67.2%
1/6  66.7%  65.7-67.8%
2/6  68.2%  67.2-69.2%
3/6  72.2%  71.3-73.0%
4/6  75.0%  73.9-76.0%
5/6  75.0%  73.3-76.8%
6/6  77.2%  76.1-78.2%

So, there is no statistically difference between 0/6 and 1/6. The survival rate is better for matches higher than 1/6. 

The 5-year draft survival rates for living and deceased donors:
                                               C.I.
Living donors:       66.5%      79.1-80.3%
Deceased donors: 79.7%      65.9-67.0%

The difference is 13.2% between living donors and deceased donors, and the difference is 11.6% between 0/6 and 6/6 matches for all donors. I think survival rate difference for matching is higher for deceased donors than for living donors.

Of course, if your waiting time is not too long, it may be a better option to get a deceased donor transplant first and then your HB can be a backup if you need a second transplant.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »