I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
September 30, 2024, 03:26:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Pet Therapy While on Dialysis??
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Pet Therapy While on Dialysis??  (Read 11145 times)
PMP

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2006, 11:20:42 AM »

Richard,

You are quite a good storyteller.  Are you a writer?

I got chills (and a tear or two) when I read the part about Celeste on the hospital bed with your mother.  I've told my husband that when I'm on my deathbed, I want my pets around me.  Hopefully I'll be in a situation like your mother was and will be able to have that wish come true.  I also told my husband that it would suit me just fine to be buried in a pet cemetery!  Don't think he'll do that, though :)

Pat
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2006, 04:13:21 PM »

Thanks, PMP! *blush*

No, I am not a writer. In fact my lowest high school score was in English (59). I'm a computer geek by trade... but I have been told before I am pretty good at writing letters and stories and stuff... but ty for the ego boost from the compliment :)

You know one of the biggest fears I have had recently is that Celeste (who is nearly 4) may end up outliving me (unless I get the miracle of a transplant that works for me) and I would always be wondering that she would be OK after I am gone. I guess that is how important our pets are to us. Of course I currently have no partner to give my heart to, so Celeste has to put up with being over cuddled and kissed most days! LOL.

Glad you liked the story. It certainly brought a tear or two to my eyes when retelling it, but I felt it was special and appropriate for this thread.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2006, 05:50:12 PM »

I have a friend who has promised to take my two little monsters if I should pass.  She will get some money to take care of them.  They bark at her when she comes to visit, but they to that to everyone.  I try not to tell her all the little stunts they pull. 

goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2006, 12:40:53 PM »

Richard, thank you for sharing that story, you have me in tears,  Please post pics of Celeste in our pets thread in the off topic section, i am sure we would all love to see this wonderful and very lucky (to be so loved) cat  :2thumbsup;

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=1036.0

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
angela515
Elite Member

i am awesome.

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2006, 06:57:54 PM »

First I wanted to say that story was soooo nice Richard... made me smile.  ;D

I want a puppy so bad, I am currently living withmy parents as they are helping me raise my 2 children while I am on dialysis... and I greatly appreciate all they do to help me since their father won't.. so needless to say, I need to respect the rules of their house, and my dad doesn't want a dog, at least yet while my children are still so young (4 and 5), maybe next year when they tun 5 and 6 (In Feb)... ill try to convice him... i just want a little puppy that stays small and dont get big... anwways, for all of you with pets, i think they are veryhelpful with relieving stress and such..

Live Donor Transplant From My Mom 12/14/1999
Perfect Match (6 of 6) Cadaver Transplant On 1/14/2007
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2006, 12:15:04 AM »

Richard, thank you for sharing that story, you have me in tears,  Please post pics of Celeste in our pets thread in the off topic section, i am sure we would all love to see this wonderful and very lucky (to be so loved) cat  :2thumbsup;

http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=1036.0

Thanks!!! *still blushing*

I put a couple of pics of Celeste in there. If only I'd thought to have a camera when I took her to the hospital to take
a picture of that inspiring and beautiful time... alas I was somewhat preoccupied :( I just take great comfort that, with
her days numbered(and knowing this) and the way she was feeling and all, that that small act by Celeste to just sit
there and let her pat her, or rest her tired hand on her back, or just look at her being pretty gave my mother some
happiness and pleasure.. and the smile on her face was worth it so much, and I remember just looking at Celeste at
one point, and she was looking up at her "grandma" at that point with big expressive eyes and I am *sure* she
understood _exactly_ what was going on.

I will never forget that day.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2007, 01:25:02 AM »

:bump;

Hey why not bump it? lol

I thought this vid was related to this thread ;)

Gus here from dailyhemo.org has 2 dogs while he is on dialysis at home ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfsUyBJ4RK4

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
brenda

« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2007, 07:45:29 PM »

I am a home patient and have my little pup Nelly with me all the time. She sits beside me on my chair during dialysis. She knows the lines are not part of play time. Before I had Nelly, I had a cat who slept on my chair all the time. I find it very comforting. When in ran in Port Alberni, B.C. there was a gentleman there who brought his German Shepard all the time. The dog sat very quietly, and the other patients seemed to look forward to the dog coming. Guess it's all what you like.

Life is what happens while your making other plans.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2007, 04:31:58 AM »

I am a home patient and have my little pup Nelly with me all the time. She sits beside me on my chair during dialysis. She knows the lines are not part of play time. Before I had Nelly, I had a cat who slept on my chair all the time. I find it very comforting. When in ran in Port Alberni, B.C. there was a gentleman there who brought his German Shepard all the time. The dog sat very quietly, and the other patients seemed to look forward to the dog coming. Guess it's all what you like.
WHen I was on CCPD my old cat could stay with me but the cat I have now couldn't be allowed in the room as she for some reason couldn't resist chewing the tubes :(  But now I go inclinic HD so I don't have anyone by me :( unless friends or family visit

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Wizard

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2007, 12:03:35 PM »

When I did home hemo my spaniel used to sleep at the foot of the bed for four hours and never hardly move until it was time to break the machine down.  Made the whole difference in the world and I never had an infection.  If I had a snack I would share with her ever loving support.
Kitty Cat

Lila & Smudgie

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2007, 02:11:39 PM »

I think Pet Therapy is wonderful. While my husband is in the hospital, on Tuesdays and Wednesdays they have a couple dogs cover the floors. When he was first admitted, our daughter and I saw the dog in the hallway, I happened to glimpse his ID and mentioned to my daughter that he was a pet therapy dog. She chased the guy down the hall to find out if he could come see her dad. It's been so hard for my husband to be separated from our Sadie dog, she's been completely out of sorts, I'm just not as good enough as he is and she's used to sleeping right next to his bed, she still sleeps there but one of my kitties who is a nurturing kitty has been sleeping on the bed so Sadie isn't alone at night. It's worked out well for them and Sadie is sleeping much better. But to get back to what I started here, my husband just lit right up and the dog was so sweet, just sat there and let my hubby sweet talk him and scratch his ears. I need to find out if that's a possibility still where he's located now, it'll be much easier once I can go visit at the hospital after I get over this virus.

Richard,

I love your story about Celeste and your mother. Our pets are a bigger blessing than we even give them credit for. I couldn't go through what I've been through without my kitties and my Sadie dog.
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »