I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 02:23:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  kidney disease and periods
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: kidney disease and periods  (Read 6796 times)
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« on: November 22, 2009, 09:08:58 PM »

To all the women out there on dialysis. I was told when i first started dialysis that it is rare for a woman to have peroids! Why am I still having a peroid?? I am sick of this. If I dont have any kidney function left why am I still getting a monthly cycle??
Anyone else with me?

Lisa

Edited: Fixed subject line error - okarol/admin
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 06:31:53 PM by okarol » Logged

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2009, 09:27:49 PM »

I wasn't told that - but it did happen.  They all seemed to be surprised though, and I didn't get the impression anyone thought it had stopped because of dialysis.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
boswife
Elite Member

us and fam easter 2013

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2009, 09:30:08 PM »

im gonna be a big help here  ::)  ....... and please dont laugh  :embarassed:   but kidneys have to do with *that*???   Gosh i hope i dont feel too ignorant when i hear the answer ..(yikes, should i really ask??)

im a california wife and cargiver to my hubby
He started dialysis April 09
We thank God for every day we are blessed to have together.
november 2010, patiently (ha!) waiting our turn for NxStage training
January 14,2011 home with NxStage
jennyc

First day of school 08'

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 10:13:29 PM »

I was told that too, then they started freaking when my period didn't stop and every month i got the 'are you pregnant?' considering how dangerous it is for me to go through it again we got my tubes done.

I still get my period 7 years on. Ok, so from what i've learned Renal failure 'can' send us into early onset menopause. It has to do with the effect of the renal failure on our hormones and our anemia.

Mine have changed a lot since having CRF, they have gone from 28days cycle and 7days period to 28days ish and 3 days period, i say ish becuase if my glob is low and i'm really anaemic then i wont get a period till i up my epo and get my levels ok.

Eg, after my fistula operation due to tthe blood loss i became very anaemic and i was late with my period till i upped my epo, about 2 days after my 2nd epo injection in a week (80) i got my period.

It is called Secondary Amenorrhoea (failure of a woman to menstruate when she previously has before) it happens not only to us but also elite athletes, some diabetic, ballet dancers etc. It can be associated with stress on the body wether emotional or physical (due to sickness or rigorous training, poor diet). Hey as CRF patients we have heaps of physical and emotional stress and i guess some times the body just says enough is enough i can't cope with all this so i'm shutting down a non-critical system.

2003 January - acute renal failure
        March/April - Started PD
2009 October - PD failing, First fistula put in.

Cadaveric Transplant 27/1/2010
Maker

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 03:30:33 AM »

Lisa,

This may surprise you, but I am jealous!  I haven't had a period for many years, like one in the past 5 years.  I can't even remember what its like!  It took a very long time for anyone to be able to explain to me that they stopped because of CKD.  I just want to be normal...I just want to know that having kids is an option someday... 

It sounds like this situation varies a lot.  Be glad your reproductive system is working at least.  It's no fun to feel like you are 30 years old going through menopause  :(

- Lori

33 years old
Diagnosed February 2007
Started In-Center Hemo October 2009
Trying to qualify for a living donor transplant

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"  Philippians 4:13
Bub

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 05:50:56 AM »

Now that you guys mention it, I have not had a period since I started dialysis either.  Should I be worried?
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 07:37:16 AM »

Bub, You are sooo funny!  :rofl; :rofl; ;D :sarcasm;

Now that you guys mention it, I have not had a period since I started dialysis either.  Should I be worried?

EDITED: Fixed smiley tag error=kitktaz,Moderator
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 04:15:55 PM by kitkatz » Logged

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

daughter born 11/2005
10/2007 started PD
jennyc

First day of school 08'

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 12:19:39 PM »

You should really get to the Dr, to see about that. Could be really dangerous!  :sarcasm;

March/April - Started PD

Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 12:22:39 PM »

Erm, Bub.... Have you been up to any mischief???... Could we be due to hear the pitter-patter of little feet???.... ;D

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2009, 12:49:05 PM »

During the 5 years I spent on D, I averaged a period or two every year.  After my first transplant I got my period on day 3 after the surgery.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2009, 01:45:45 PM »

Sometimes I don't know why I bother going to doctors - that it the best (and only) explanantion I have have about the menopause thing Jenny.  Thanks.
And Bub - get the hell out!!  There's women here talking about periods!!  Ha ha.  I thought all the guys would be running a mile hee hee.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2009, 01:50:23 PM »

Mine never stopped in 3 years on D.  Mine actually got heavier, thanks to regular doses of heparin.  As I've said on here before, any sentence that begins with "All dialysis patients. . ." is usually followed by a certain amount of bullshit, since we all react differently.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

cookie2008

« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2009, 05:15:03 PM »

When I was in center I asked about my period if I would still get it or would it stop, I was told it would probably stop, well it has been about a year and a half and my period is so heavy recently I had it for 2 weeks stopped for 4 days then started heavy again for 8 days my doctor gave me a perscription to stop it which it did, today I had ultrasounds to check to make sure everything is ok I will know wed the results.  Im 44 I hope im going thru the beginning of menopause.

Started PD in 11/07
Started Hemo in 7/08
Started NxStage 5/09
Swee_tone

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2009, 05:27:32 PM »

edit: nevermind!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2009, 09:18:35 PM by Swee_tone » Logged

Diagnosed in 2000, not on dialysis yet
jennyc

First day of school 08'

« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2009, 07:23:19 PM »

Mine never stopped in 3 years on D.  Mine actually got heavier, thanks to regular doses of heparin.  As I've said on here before, any sentence that begins with "All dialysis patients. . ." is usually followed by a certain amount of bullshit, since we all react differently.

I agree totally, that is why i put'can' to stress it's only some of us who are affected. Mine have never really stopped. I'm actually worried now because the Dr has double my dose of aranesp since my op. I actually spotted a bit longer after this one, hoping my period doesnt stretch to 4 or 5 days. I still get really bad PMS and PMT and headaches have started again. I would hazard a guess to say it could have something to do with the initial cause of deterioration, mine was acute so i have no underlying health issues. But there are so many factors and hormones that the kidneys affect it could be any number of things that cause it to stop.

My ancient history teacher at school was a dancer in her younger years, she didn't get her period till she was in her 20's when she stopped dancing (ballerina, lots of physical stress, diets etc). I've heard of some models stopping their periods through poor diets. I had some friends in highschool who stopped having periods at HSC time (our year 12 finals) another stopped due to severe depression, another when she was suffering from annorexia (isn't it wonderful what catholic school do to girls, the stress they put you under to be perfect is unbelieveable). Another friend was a cheerleader for the NRL back in the early 90's (cowgirl for any NSW people) and it was common amongst them to not have their periods whilst they were training hard, but some of them now have children

So as i said it's the bodies reaction to mental stress, physical stress and health and well being.

BUT........... there is nothing to say that it is permanent in some cases, i don't see why after a transplant they wouldn't come back for some people. I hope that's the case anyway  :pray;

March/April - Started PD

Melissa

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2009, 09:42:10 PM »

Mine stopped for two years and have been back now for 3 months, no explanation!

Also, I need to find out more information, but there is a woman here on dialysis who got pregnant and had her (healthy) baby while on dialysis.  I know she went for treatment 7 days per week in order to carry the baby, but she did it and it was a success.  A real miracle....so, for those who are young enough still it seems like it is still possible.  Although very high risk I imagine...
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2009, 07:39:17 AM »

wow how was she able to go on Sunday, well all 7 days a week?
Lisa

Mine stopped for two years and have been back now for 3 months, no explanation!

Also, I need to find out more information, but there is a woman here on dialysis who got pregnant and had her (healthy) baby while on dialysis.  I know she went for treatment 7 days per week in order to carry the baby, but she did it and it was a success.  A real miracle....so, for those who are young enough still it seems like it is still possible.  Although very high risk I imagine...

daughter born 11/2005
10/2007 started PD
Goofy

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2009, 11:09:11 AM »

BUB, you're just too funny!  I'm at work reading some of the postings and all of a sudden I burst laughing.  People came running over asking what was so funny.  Of course I could not tell them because I'm "at work".

THAT WAS REALLY A GOOD ONE!!!!!!
jennyc

First day of school 08'

« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2009, 01:43:27 PM »

here is an article i found, it ties in with what i was saying earlier:

http://renux.dmed.ed.ac.uk/EdREN/EdRenINFObits/PregnancyLong.html

Pregnancy and contraception in renal disease

Can women become pregnant if they have kidney disease?
The answer is yes. Kidney disease makes women a bit less fertile, but as our management of kidney disease improves, so the numbers of women who become pregnant with kidney disease, with a kidney transplant or even when on dialysis are increasing.

How do you detect pregnancy in renal disease?
Kidney disease interferes with the hormones that normally regulate periods, so many women with kidney disease find their periods become irregular or stop completely. It can become difficult to detect pregnancy. Some women only suspect that they are pregnant when they develop other unexplained symptoms like nausea and fatigue. Standard pregnancy tests including home kits are still reliable in kidney disease, unless your urine output is very low when a blood test can be done.

Does having kidney disease make pregnancy more complicated?
Having kidney disease can make pregnancy more complicated. The more severe your kidney disease, the greater the risk of having a difficult pregnancy. By 'risks', we mean risk to the baby and risk to the mother.

For most people with mild kidney disease, the risks may still be pretty low, even though they are higher than for someone with normal kidneys, but if no one has discussed this with you, you should ask your doctor. For some people, usually those with quite significant kidney disease, or with other health problems, the risks may occasionally be very high.

The worse your kidney function, the higher your blood pressure, and the more protein in your urine, the higher the risk.

The risks include the fact that pre-eclampsia is more likely (see next section), the risk that your kidneys may suffer further damage during pregnancy, and the risk to the baby.

What is pre-eclampsia?
Pre-eclampsia is a combination of high blood pressure, and a leak of protein from the kidneys into the urine. It only happens in pregnancy. Most cases are mild, but some are serious and require early delivery of the baby. Babies may be small as well as premature. High blood pressure is more common in people with kidney disease, and this makes pre-eclampsia more likely.

Blood pressure in pregnancy
A lot of attention is paid to the blood pressure in pregnancy. The higher and more difficult it is to control a woman's blood pressure before pregnancy, the more likely it is that pregnancy will be complicated. Starting pregnancy with uncontrolled high blood pressure makes the chances of a miscarriage high.

Does having kidney disease harm the baby?
Having kidney disease itself does not harm the baby. However a few kidney diseases are inherited and may be passed onto a child. The table below lists the commoner of these; if you are not sure, ask your doctor if your kidney disease is inherited.

Kidney Disease
Risk of Inheritance

Autosomal Dominant Polycystic Kidney Disease (Polycystic kidneys) 1/2 Risk

Alport's Syndrome Variable

Reflux Nephropathy Unknown

Having kidney disease might result in slower growth of a baby but this rarely causes any problems. More important is the fact that some babies will be delivered earlier than at the normal 40 weeks; this may occur naturally, or might be "induced" in order to protect the mother from pre-eclampsia.

The earlier a baby is born, the more likely it is to have problems with breathing, feeding and growth; babies who are born early often need special care in hospital for a while. If a baby is born before 22 weeks the outlook for survival is very bleak. From 22 weeks to 28 weeks the chances for survival improve with each extra week in the womb but still this prematurity carries a risk of complications. From 30 weeks on the overall outlook for the baby is good but the baby may still need a special care baby unit.

Medicines in pregnancy
It is known that many drugs cross the placenta and could harm a baby. If you are on any medications, especially those used to control blood pressure, you may find that they are stopped and changed for others instead. You may be prescribed a small dose of aspirin as this may be helpful. You should remember that smoking, drinking alcohol and the use of non-prescription drugs could all harm a baby.

The best thing for a healthy baby is a healthy mother! It is important to balance the risks as best as possible, and not to stop important medicines that are keeping you well. SafeFetus.com lets you look up some information about risk of drugs in pregnancy, but remember they don't know anything about you - discuss with your obstetrics and renal team. The information they provide is quite complicated. Some drugs that are definitely harmful to babies are:

ACE inhibitors (such as enalapril, ramipril) and ARBs (angiotensin receptor blockers, such as candesartan, irbesartan)
Some immunosuppressive drugs including methotrexate, cyclophosphamide. Some others are quite safe though - for instance many transplant patients have had healthy babies without altering their drugs.
THESE ARE ONLY EXAMPLES. Others may need to be altered or stopped.

Does being pregnant harm the kidneys?
A kidney that is already diseased might suffer some further damage during pregnancy. This is more likely if the kidney disease is severe at the start. People with kidney failure who expect to need dialysis in the future may find that pregnancy hastens their progression to dialysis. Rarely it is necessary to start dialysis during pregnancy.

The risk of losing kidney function during pregnancy increases with increasing severity of kidney disease (lower GFR, higher creatinine) before pregnancy. The risk is probably low if your creatinine was below about 140 micromols/l; and moderate if it is 140-170. However there is a lot of variation. Having a lot of proteinuria and difficult blood pressure probably increase the risk.

What if I become pregnant when I'm on dialysis?
Women on dialysis rarely become pregnant; those that do usually develop complications. Dialysis needs to be done more frequently, sometimes every day. Premature delivery usually happens, and unfortunately miscarriages are common.

What if I become pregnant with a kidney transplant?
Having a kidney transplant does not rule out pregnancy. A transplant that is functioning very well gives the best chance of a perfectly normal pregnancy. If the transplant is not absolutely normal, then all the possible complications noted above will apply, including the chances of a deterioration in the function of the transplant itself. It is essential to take anti-rejection therapy throughout pregnancy, and careful attention to drug doses will be needed.

Who will look after me when I'm pregnant?
Your GP and the team who normally look after your kidney disease will keep a close eye on you. You will also see specialist obstetricians who have a detailed knowledge of pregnancy and kidney disease; they will have a team including nurses and midwives. If you live a long way from a city, you may find that to get the best specialist care, your clinic visits are not at your local hospital, but in the city. Clinic visits can become very frequent, and sometimes admission to hospital is necessary during the pregnancy in order to monitor everything safely.

How will I deliver the baby?
If at all possible, delivery will be by the normal vaginal route. If pregnancy is complicated, especially if an early delivery is needed, then a caesarean section may be needed. These options will be discussed with you.

Breast Feeding
Breast feeding is best. Some medication comes out in breast milk; your doctors will try to alter your medication to allow you to breast feed, but this may not always be safe.

Planning pregnancy
If you have kidney disease, and if you wish to become pregnant, it is advisable to discuss this with your doctors. They will be able to say when or whether pregnancy is advisable, and they will be able to adjust your medicines appropriately. Folic acid supplements to reduce the chances of spina bifida should be started early if pregnancy is planned.

Contraception and renal disease
If you have kidney disease and wish to be sexually active, avoiding pregnancy by using contraception is advised, until your pregnancy plans are made. Many women with kidney disease have irregular periods, and therefore think that they are infertile; this is not the case, even if periods have disappeared completely. There are no problems in using barrier methods of contraception eg. condoms. Coils are not advised for women who are on immunosuppressive drugs. The pill is convenient but may interfere with blood pressure control. Your GP or kidney specialist will advise you on what may be best.

March/April - Started PD

Maker

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2009, 06:16:35 PM »

Wow Jenny, that was an awesome article!  Definitely answered many of my questions.  Getting pregnant is something I would very much like to do in the future...after I meet Mr. Right that is, marry him, and hopefully I'm not too old by that time   :(  Obviously it will be ideal if I can get a transplant first. 

While we're on the subject, does anyone else find it funny that every time you go to the hospital for any test, procedure, or surgery they give you a pregnancy test?  I say, "it's impossible, I'm not sexually active."  They always protest, then force the test anyway.  As if I would lie about that just to avoid peeing in a cup  ::) Whatever, its a waste of the insurance companies money if you ask me.

During the 5 years I spent on D, I averaged a period or two every year.  After my first transplant I got my period on day 3 after the surgery.

Thanks Monren, this is encouraging!  I can't wait  ;)

- Lori

33 years old
Diagnosed February 2007
Started In-Center Hemo October 2009
Trying to qualify for a living donor transplant

"I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"  Philippians 4:13
jennyc

First day of school 08'

« Reply #20 on: November 24, 2009, 07:03:51 PM »

Lori,

There is always hope. Even for me, i'm hoping one day to have another if i can't i'm still going to look into fostering after Christmas. See how it goes this time!!!

March/April - Started PD

bette1

My dear daughter

« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 08:31:34 PM »

Since my transplant failed in 2006, I have had regular periods.  My nurse at dialysis told me that I was the first patient he'd treated who still had a period. 

There is also a woman on my unit who had a baby on dialysis.  She had to come to treatment everyday and the baby was born small.  She's 10 years old now and seems fine.  So there is hope for us.

I also had a baby after my first transplant and although she was premature, she is totally healthy.

Diagnosed with FSGS April of 1987
First Dialysis 11/87 - CAPD
Transplant #1 10/13/94
Second round of Dialysis stated 9/06 - In Center Hemo
Transplant  #2 5/24/10
girliekick

« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2009, 01:11:07 AM »

j beany- im on my phone so i cant quote u, but i want to tell u i really LOL 'w/ the certain amount of BS' line. !!!!maybe that should be r sub subtitle.

Irregular periods for me
girl

-Christmas '03 get news of esrd
-June '08 start hemo
-Thanksgiving '08 pd surg
-Feb '09 Stop hemo and manual exchanges
... start cycler
Setp 3 '09 On UNOS list (27th b day)
Dec 09 peritonitis
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »