I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 08:20:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Wrong Reuse dialyzer Wrong Patient
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Wrong Reuse dialyzer Wrong Patient  (Read 7520 times)
qwerty

« on: October 24, 2009, 03:31:32 PM »

does anyone have copy of Davita's P & P on checks of reuse dialyzers prior to putting pt on. Also what are your protocols for when the wrong re-use dialyzer is placed on another patient step by step? Also risk to patient if he recieves another patients re-use dialzyer? I need specifics for documentation if anyone is able to help. This is primarily related to a chart review in which pt recieved wrong patients dialzyer. Thanks ahead of time
bioya

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 03:40:35 PM »

I don't have it but last time I was FA and that subject come up the dialysizer had to be checked by two employees (oops teammembers) and initial the sticker that it was the correct one. That was awhile back and things may have changed.

does anyone have copy of Davita's P & P on checks of reuse dialyzers prior to putting pt on. Also what are your protocols for when the wrong re-use dialyzer is placed on another patient step by step? Also risk to patient if he recieves another patients re-use dialzyer? I need specifics for documentation if anyone is able to help. This is primarily related to a chart review in which pt recieved wrong patients dialzyer. Thanks ahead of time
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 09:41:46 PM »

Patient should also be checking the dialyzer before sitting down in the chair.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
sico

wheres my bike gone?

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2009, 04:03:05 AM »

When I was on HD here in Australia they used a new one every time, totally avoids this situation ever arising.

Brad      "Got myself a one way ticket, going the wrong way" - Bon Scott

6/11/08 diagnosed with ESRF, dialysis that day

HD and PD

8th of April 2010 Live kidney transplant from my father.
qwerty

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2009, 08:58:31 AM »

Thank you as I'm looking for specifics due a case review for an attorney. I can have the attorney petition the info but takes very long to do dependant on the specific clinics cooperation. I was hoping someone had Davitas follow-up of what happens once the error is realized and thier protocol afterwards so I can move my report quicker. Such as incident report, blood work protocol etc.  Davita utilizes re-use in the area in question so that's what I have to concentrate on. The non-davita clinic I work for uses dry packs. I havent worked for Davita in awhile so imagine somethings have changed.
nursewratchet

"Either do it, or don't do it, don't try"

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2009, 12:36:32 PM »

Two person checks and initials.  The patient also checks and initials.  IF the patient is put on wrong dialyzer:  Patient is NOT rinsed back.  Patient given Saline.  Put on a dry pack.  Labs are drawn: CBC and K+. (stat). Hep and HIV labs are drawn on the "OTHER" patient, if they consent.   MD of course is called.  The initial "risk of reuse" consent is reread to patient and copies given.  AFTER labs are drawn, if patient is symptomatic, are sent to ER.  Risk management is notified, incident report is filled out.  The dialyzer and lines are saved in fridge until risk management investigates the incident.  It is then discarded and not processed. 
As far as the employee is concerned, the process is suspension until further investigation.  Usually termed.  That is out of step for corrective action, but anytime ther is a safety concern, it is an immediate suspension.  I've NEVER had anyone come back from a suspension.  Hope this helps...

RN, Facility Administrator 2002 to present
RN, Staff Nurse 1996-2002
Vicki
qwerty

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2009, 07:14:37 AM »

Thank you very much Nursewratchet!!!  It will help a great deal with my review and report. Pt wasnt notified until a week later and it was only by a slipup from another staff member that he was.He noticed them messing with machine and changing things out the day of the occurence and asked what the issue was. He was told "its just a machine issue".  None of the above done from what I can tell. In fact it appears it may have been swept under the rug so to speak. Thing is if I remember correctly Snappy wont allow you to move forward on charting until the initials are in documenting the check for dialyzer and renalin check, therefore it was documented without doing the appropriate checks per guidelines? I appreciate your help.
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 10:46:08 AM »

Another reason not to continue with a reuse program.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »