I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 09:19:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Got Perotinitis
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Got Perotinitis  (Read 3013 times)
Dana Renee

« on: October 23, 2009, 04:32:44 AM »

So...I went to the doctor and I do in fact have perotinitis. I got some antibiotics in me and Im already feeling 70% better. I think Im gonna stick with the CCPD for a while but I will not use the drain line anymore, I believe it is the cause of my perotinitis. This is my first case of perotinitis and I must say it is much more painful then I imagined it would be. Now I just need to do what I got to do to get on transplant list and then everything will feel much better to me. :flower;
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 05:43:13 AM »

I'm not sure what you mean by "drain line."  You have to drain into something!  If you mean extensions, I use two in order to reach the toilet.  My only peritonitis (after 5 years) was due to a ruptured abdominal hernia leaking into my peritoneal fluid.  Just wondering why you think it was your drain line.  The drain line only runs one way - out of the body.  No fluids enter the body from the drain line.
lizabee

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2009, 10:42:36 AM »

Feel better soon!
bear807

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2009, 10:53:05 AM »

I hope you are feeling better soon and take care cause I care
Restorer

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2009, 04:18:10 PM »

I'm on a Fresenius cycler, so what I say doesn't perfectly apply to the Baxter cycler if that's what you're on, but in general it should be similar.

The drain line can't cause peritonitis any more than drain bags would. It's a one-way trip - fluid comes out of you, through the cycler, then to the drain line. It's closed off when you're filling. There's no flow of fluid backwards along the drain line, so there's no way anything on the end of the drain line will affect you or the safety of your fluid. I'm guessing you're thinking that, because the drain line is hanging in the toilet/bathtub/wherever, it's not staying clean.

I've used a drain line and drain bags, on two different cyclers, and I had peritonitis more often with the drain bags than the drain line - but neither were the cause of my peritonitis. Don't give up on the cycler just yet.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 04:21:11 PM »

yeah I agree. THe only time you are suspectible to that horrible infection is when you are connecting and disconnecting, unless you are like me and you get it when you poke heprain into your bags on the machine, and i poked my skin instead and continued on!

Lisa
 I think it is best to stay on the cycler. You are not constantly opening up your tube.

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
Dana Renee

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 05:07:34 AM »

I have decided to stay on the cycler, I am on a fresenius cycler.  I just assumed my perotinitis came from the drain line because it goes into the toilet and I just dont see how this can be sanitary. I know that the fluid is flushing out of the drain line and not into it I jus thought that since bacteria is live it could maybe swim its way up the tube and somehow into my catheter. My nurse tell me to never let my drain bags touch the bare floor and to always make sure there are chucks under the bags. I was thinking if the drain bags, which are completely closed all around, cannot touch the floor, then why is it that a drain line, which is completely open at the end is perfectly fine being in the toilet.
Restorer

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 12:31:09 PM »

With the drain bags, the only thing I can think of is that full drain bags might put enough pressure on the line to push fluid back up, but with a Liberty cycler that would only happen if something went wrong with the pumping (or it would alarm at the first sign of it). It might be more that bags resting on the bare floor might risk getting small holes from whatever else is on the floor, and might leak all over your floor.

The entire point of the drain line is to put it into some kind of drain, usually the toilet, which definitely wouldn't be sterile. Without backwards fluid flow to help bacteria along, it would take a looong time for them to "swim up" the line. When I was on the Newton cycler, which had separate detachable drain lines, I was told it was even fine to use the same drain line for up to a week.

My PD nurse has also told me to never let a fresh fluid bag (fresh dialysate) rest on the floor, presumably because it could get punctured and infected.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 05:11:48 PM »

So...I went to the doctor and I do in fact have perotinitis. I got some antibiotics in me and Im already feeling 70% better. I think Im gonna stick with the CCPD for a while but I will not use the drain line anymore, I believe it is the cause of my perotinitis. This is my first case of perotinitis and I must say it is much more painful then I imagined it would be. Now I just need to do what I got to do to get on transplant list and then everything will feel much better to me. :flower;
Glad to hear you're doing well.

How long were you doing PD before you got your first case of peritonitis?
Lillupie

wedding 12-10-11

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2009, 07:56:30 PM »

lol yes i have a drain line that goes right into the toilet. No bags to empty!
Lisa

I'm not sure what you mean by "drain line."  You have to drain into something!  If you mean extensions, I use two in order to reach the toilet.  My only peritonitis (after 5 years) was due to a ruptured abdominal hernia leaking into my peritoneal fluid.  Just wondering why you think it was your drain line.  The drain line only runs one way - out of the body.  No fluids enter the body from the drain line.

Check out my Facebook profile for CKD "Help Lisa Spread Awareness for Kidney Disease"

It is my utmost dream and desire to reach out to other kidney patients for them to know that they are not alone in this, also to reach out to those who one day have to go on dialysis though my book i am writing!

dx with lupus nephritis 5/99'
daughter born 11/2005
stage IV CKD 11/2005-6/2007
8/2007- PD cathater inserted
9/2007- revision of PD Cathater
10/2007 started PD
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »