I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:30:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Diabetes
| | |-+  sugar level rises after transplant...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: sugar level rises after transplant...  (Read 13555 times)
st789

« on: October 22, 2009, 06:02:24 PM »

Hello, anyone had transplanted but occasionally experience rise in sugar level.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2009, 06:19:42 PM »

A possible (and common side effect) of Prograf and Prednisone:
Increased blood sugar:  some patients who are not diabetic before the transplant may develop difficulties controlling their blood sugars after the transplant.  Doctors often have to administer oral medications and sometimes insulin to help control these high blood sugars.  This side effect is one that may go away with time.

Sometimes these drugs can cause diabetes as a side effect. Prednisone (a steroid), cyclosporin and tacrolimus can all cause diabetes.  People may be at extra risk of developing diabetes after a kidney transplant if they are of black or south Asian ethnic origin, or have several family members with diabetes.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2009, 04:41:43 PM »

I was not diabetic prior to transplant.  Right after transplant it was bad enough to require insulin injections 4 times a day.  Now that the meds (prednisone and prograf) have been reduced I take pills to control my blood sugar.  At times now I get too low so they are thinking about reducing the medications.  Things are always changing!  :)

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 09:10:10 PM »

boy am I diabetic now.... I mean I was before but only used pills and diet.... now I am shooting insulin.... 4 x a day.....  sugar is out of control..... not sure what to do.....  guess I better start eating nothng........  this diet is going to be way worst that any kidney diet I have every heard of.....   they have reduced my predinsone already because of the sugar....  I can range form 120 up to over 400 in just a half a day and think what did I eat to get that....  I am starting to count carbs now.....food journal and all of that..... 

I hope I can get control on this...hate to loose new kidney to diabetis.... didnt loose the last kidney to diabetis...  also having problems with high blood pressure.....  didnt have that problem either.....   its the pillls....  they are going to kill me I think....they certainly make me not feel good...tired all the time...  I feel like I am drug all day...then about 3pm in the after noon I finally start to feel a little better..... its the predinsone...  its got to be....   how are the rest of you guys with transplants doing with your sugars...are you counting carbs... not eating or what...

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Lindia

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 09:35:56 PM »

boy am I diabetic now.... I mean I was before but only used pills and diet.... now I am shooting insulin.... 4 x a day.....  sugar is out of control..... not sure what to do.....  guess I better start eating nothng........  this diet is going to be way worst that any kidney diet I have every heard of.....   they have reduced my predinsone already because of the sugar....  I can range form 120 up to over 400 in just a half a day and think what did I eat to get that....  I am starting to count carbs now.....food journal and all of that..... 

Hi Tyefly -   My hubbys been diabetic over 20 years.  One thing that helped his sugars was NO dairy products -  the lactose can really pump up the sugar.  He LOVES cottage cheese, and buttermilk, and cheese fondue, and yogurt -- but he had to stop eating them, as he was also getting lactose intolerant.  Then his blood sugar went down quite  a bit -  talked to his diabetic doctor about it, and he said -   "oh yeah -  when you cut out all milk products your sugar drops a lot "      I Thot --   why didn't anyone tell us this sooner ? ! ?

Edited: Fixed quote tag error - jbeany, Moderator
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 10:31:21 PM by jbeany » Logged
rsudock
Elite Member

will of the healthy makes up the fate of the sick.

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 09:43:38 PM »

My first transplant in 1999 my sugars were crazy high and I didn't realize it at the time...I was drinking tons of water at night and peeing constantly. The final straw came when my vision was so blurry I couldn't find my mom at the grocery store...I knew it was time to go to the doctor. I took insulin for 6 months. As they reduced the prednisone and switched me from Prograf to Neoral my sugar levels eventually went back to normal...

Now with my second transplant taking cellcept, prednisone, and prograf my sugars were a little elevated but they have never gotten to the point were I need insulin like I did before....I believe the reason for this is that the levels of antirejection meds I was on in 99 were much much higher then I am on now...I have been starting to excersise more 3 months post transplant as well....

Hope your sugar gets under control!!

xo,
R

Born with autosomal recessive polycystic kidney disease
1995 - AV Fistula placed
Dec 7, 1999 cadaver transplant saved me from childhood dialysis!
10 transplant years = spleenectomy, gall bladder removed, liver biopsy, bone marrow aspiration.
July 27, 2010 Started dialysis for the first time ever.
June 21, 2011 2nd kidney nonrelated living donor
September 2013 Liver Cancer tumor.
October 2013 Ablation of liver tumor.
Now scans every 3 months to watch for new tumors.
Now Status 7 on the wait list for a liver.
How about another decade of solid health?
iketchum

« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2011, 03:03:53 AM »

Yes, a Renal/Diabetic diet is difficult. I have been struggling with my blood sugars for years. Just three pancakes for supper throws my numbers sky high. I joke to friends that Candy gets a pizza, I get the box.
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2011, 10:50:10 AM »

I was never diabetic, but immediately after my transplant my sugar levels went sky high.  Suddenly I was getting insulin shots in my stomach and numbers weren't going down.  It was all due to the cellcept and prograf.  When they lowered that meds, within a few weeks, my sugar levels were at an acceptable level.  They still run a little high, but nothing that is worrisome to the transplant team.    Lots of side effects with the anti-rejection medicines.   

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Metalangel28

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 07:07:30 AM »

I am pre diabetic on astrograf and no steroids. But i have a slew of other health issues, so i have no idea if its because of my other health issues or from transplant meds.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »