I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:21:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Off-Topic: Talk about anything you want.
| | |-+  So, one year out from Transplant... I'm fat. HELP!!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So, one year out from Transplant... I'm fat. HELP!!!  (Read 3525 times)
American Airman

« on: October 12, 2009, 06:55:53 PM »

I'm back to my pre-Air Force enlistment weight.  I don't think it's the medication.  I'm sure it's just the fact that I can have cheese and peanut butter again.

What did you do to drop post transplant weight?

Thanks.

Who is more foolish, the fool, or the fool who follows him?
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 07:55:13 PM »

I gained too! The harder I try to lose the worse I do. The meds do mess with metabolism. It effects the glucose.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 08:21:47 PM »

I can't help there, I don't have that problem, I have trouble gaining weight (but may also be on different meds than you). Are you taking Prednisone? If so, are they still lowering your dose?

Try modifying diet a little smaller portions , but not increased amount and maybe not so often. Then there's the dreaded E word  :rofl; exercise with simple  but effective type exercises. That's what I have been told and read. Except I need the ability to eat more and feel hungry part. :banghead;
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 10:58:16 PM by Chris » Logged

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 08:30:40 PM »

I'll let you know as soon as I figure it out!   :rofl;   I have dropped about 8 lbs, but I'm still way over.  At least I'm not still gaining though.  I am happy about that.   :thumbup;  My one year anniversary is Nov. 5th.  I'd like to make it an even 10 lbs dropped by then.  But here comes the holidays.  That's what killed me - being on 30 mg of Prednisone, stuck at home during Thanksgiving and Christmas.   eek!

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
nursewratchet

"Either do it, or don't do it, don't try"

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 10:22:10 AM »

No transplant for me.  Just a hysterectomy and menopause.  One year out and I'm fat.  Is there anything else I can blame it on.  Turning 50???  Chris, I hate your suggestion of exercise.  I can't bring myself to do it! :banghead;

RN, Facility Administrator 2002 to present
RN, Staff Nurse 1996-2002
Vicki
lizabee

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 11:09:51 AM »

I am going to be getting a transplant in Nov/Dec, I never thought about gaining weight...I figured I would lose some!  I have been preparing myself for the foods I have been wanting for so long...maybe I should just continue to not eat them! LOL
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 02:27:24 PM »

Be careful Liz.  Don't deny yourself, but just be prepaired for that freaking Prednisone.  It will cause a hunger that is not satisfied by eating.  Keep your favorite bad foods out of the house until your dosage is way down - like at 10 mg!

I transplanted on Nov 5th 2008 and had to go through the holidays, which sounds like you will be doing.  That is VERY difficult if you're not very careful.  Being stuck at home over the holidays and on Prednisone was a killer.  AND I watched the Food Channel all day!  I don't advise that!    :rofl;

Congratulations on your transplant, though.  That's wonderful news!

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 02:46:17 PM »

A battle I'm going to have to start fighting soon.  Of course, by the time they let me out of here and get me back on solid food, my Prednisone level may be alot lower.  I'm on 40 right now, and I'm hungry all the time, but all I can do for the moment is ignore it.  They aren't giving me anything orally, not even water.  How low do the Prednisone levels have to be before you notice a drop in appetite?

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

rookiegirl

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 04:36:28 PM »

I will be post transplant on Oct. 20th.  Here is my current Meds:

Prograf 3/2
Myfortic 3/3
Prednisone 10mg
Valcyte 1
Bactrim 1 MWF
Baby Aspirin 1
Vitamin D 1/mo.

Since my transplant, I've gained 15lbs.  My Neph will not be happy to see me next week.  I'm eating the same things I ate when I was on PD, but this time I just want a little more and want sweet all the time.  I can't really do any vigorous exercise because I still have soreness. I've tried walking but I have to take shorter stride so the pain & soreness in the incision area & groin won't hurt much.

2000-Diagnosed IGA Nephropathy
2002-1st biopsy (complications)
2004-2nd biopsy
10/03/07-Tenckhoff Catheter Placement
10/22/07-Started Peritoneal Dialysis
03/2008-Transplant team meeting
04/2008-Transplant workup
05/2008-Active Transplant list
3/20/09-Cadaver Kidney Transplant
4/07/09-Tenckhoff Catheter removed
4/20/09-New kidney biopsy
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2009, 04:53:25 PM »

rookie-ask your neph about lidocaine patches.  I've got a huge incision that's been used for 4 surgeries, as well as 3 jp drains.  I couldn't even sit on the edge of the bed.  They started using a lido patch on my abdomen during the day and I feel very little discomfort at all while it's on.  It's gotten me walking and exercising.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 11:29:38 PM »

I am going to be getting a transplant in Nov/Dec, I never thought about gaining weight...I figured I would lose some!  I have been preparing myself for the foods I have been wanting for so long...maybe I should just continue to not eat them! LOL

Ask what your centers protocol is on what transplant meds they use. Not all centers use steroids, but a good percentage still do. Won't hurt to ask. However that can change post transplant if you can not tolerate a medication. But you can at least look up the medications they may use on their side effects. I have a .pdf file from 2000 regarding most immunossuppresants side effects that I post somewhere in one of the forum threads. I'll  have to look for it and post the link.

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Slywalker

« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 04:30:46 PM »

I ended up losing weight after my transplant - of course my neph also told me I had about 20 lbs of fluid in me - apparently that was partially correct.  I think I lost weight because after a few months I was back exercising and walking my dogs again.  As many know leading up to  ESRD energy gets zapped and I was anemic for quite awhile (even with arensp shots).  Dialysis did not help my energy level.  I'm just now two years out from my transplant and I have more energy than I've had for about 10 years.  Walking a couple miles a day with the dogs is no longer an effort.  In fact - it is down right pleasurable.  (And, of course, my newly acquired guitar hero habit helps keep me moving around the living room.)

Hang in there - I think that some weight gain may be expected due to meds and possibly having an appetite you might not have had previous to transplant.  Prednisone is famous for a side effect of weight gain.  I was never on prednisone.  I'm now down to one immunsuppresent - Prograf. 

Take care and good luck everyone.

:bunny:
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 04:58:33 PM »

Just remembered, when doing stomach crunches/ pull ups, do not rush into it. First wait till incision is well healed, so maybe up to a year (ask doctor also), 2 when first attempting, do not push yourself, if you go to the gym and they have the machine that helps you, use that, but either way just go half way up until you can tolerate doing that and then try going all the way.3. Start out with a goal of 5 and work your way up.

Check local community college also if they have a gym to use. One it's cheaper to use by either becoming a student to fit your time schedule when you want to go or if they have it like they do here, a specific time when residents can come in for free to use the gym. Here it's usually a night time slot(after 8 pm) and Sunday. However it is only for an hour here, but when it's free, can't complain, so use your tax dollars if they support your areas community college.

That's another of my  :twocents;

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

lizabee

« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 06:17:57 PM »

I didn't realize that they prescribed Prednisone.  Everyone I know that has been on that, for whatever reason, has gained weight.  I lost about 60 pounds a few years back and have been able to keep most of it off.  This may be vane and stupid, but I am very afraid of gaining it back...
lizabee

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 06:23:26 PM »

I guess I better start using my gym membership
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »