I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:03:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Diabetes
| | |-+  dialysis daughters questions about an insulin pump for diabetic dad ????
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: dialysis daughters questions about an insulin pump for diabetic dad ????  (Read 10334 times)
girliekick

« on: October 12, 2009, 02:54:04 AM »

i am learning about the diabetes, as my dad seems to be having more trouble keeping bs under control.  he has been on insluin shots 4 15 years & this week he drove swirving and unaware for 20 miles until the cops pulled him over for drunk driving. I.e. Low bs. They gave him some sugar and had someone drive him home. His bs was prob in the 40s & this was by far the most dangerous situation from him botteming out. 

He is uninsured and a self employed electrician.  my hope is through HIDers can help me understand the world of pumps, pros & cons. I've been reading and am simply overwhelmed by the models and parts I  dont know what  these words mean.   dads not intrested in a pump. He has two good reasons against it....... Money & ability to work. I have one for it....... Health. 

can he crawl in an attic with one?
Are they really 5000 dollars? What about supplies? A monthly figure?
is there any surg in prep for it? How does it connect to ur body?
Should i keep learning about it, is it a realistic an option for him? Is there a safer alternative for him?
Thanks
girl

-Christmas '03 get news of esrd
-June '08 start hemo
-Thanksgiving '08 pd surg
-Feb '09 Stop hemo and manual exchanges
... start cycler
Setp 3 '09 On UNOS list (27th b day)
Dec 09 peritonitis
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 09:50:47 AM »

My friend has a pump.  I'll ask her your questions and get back to you.
Keith98058

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2011, 08:30:20 AM »

I have been using a pump for the last 10 years so maybe able to answer some of your questions :)

can he crawl in an attic with one?  Most certinally yes, just depends on if you tape the site up or not and have a good waistband to hold the unit. .. I use a cellphone holder to put mine in.

Are they really 5000 dollars? What about supplies? A monthly figure?  Mine was 7,500 for purchase a Medtronic, and the monthly supplies run around 750 for all the hookups.. if Uninsured this would be very difficult.

is there any surg in prep for it? How does it connect to ur body?  You change sites for it every 30 days, you can get a infusion setup for your stomach or Leg.. depending on which choice you go by it's just a difference in angle of the needle you must stick in.. Much like hooking up a site for an I.V. and you can unplug it for a shower and then rehook it upto the site.

Should i keep learning about it, is it a realistic an option for him? Is there a safer alternative for him?   It could easily be a realistic option for him except on the cost if he remains uninsured or not on disability to pay for it.  However, You will have to do bloodsugars at least 8 times a day to stay on top of it otherwise your bloodsugars will go low as it runs 24/7.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »