I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 09, 2024, 12:20:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Home Dialysis
| | |-+  Making Your Own Hand Sanitizer
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Making Your Own Hand Sanitizer  (Read 10681 times)
Restorer

« on: October 06, 2009, 12:11:26 AM »

I'm very careful about keeping my hands clean while doing my PD business. In addition to washing beforehand, I also use hand sanitizer multiple times through the process of setting up my cycler, and before disconnecting in the morning. I've been using Germstar since I started PD, mostly because my first PD nurse gave me as much of it as I needed. The one thing I never liked about hand sanitizer gels like Purell was the gel itself - the moisturizers and such that felt like they coated my hands and left a residue. Germstar is as thin as water - just isopropyl alcohol, fragrance, and a small amount of special emollients just so it doesn't dry out your skin. And rubbing alcohol smells better to me than ethyl alcohol.

Now that I've switched clinics, I don't have a source of free Germstar anymore. I looked it up online, and 16 oz bottles cost $15 each. I could save some over the long term by buying a dispenser and the 32 oz bags, but I'm wondering if it would be a good idea to mix my own hand sanitizer.

I figure I can mix straight rubbing alcohol with a small amount of Purell to provide some of the emollients, and put that back into my Germstar pump bottle. What I'm wondering is if there's any conflict between doing this and really good aseptic technique. For early cleaning of my exit site using hydrogen peroxide, I was instructed not to pour any excess back into the bottle, so refilling any bottle that I use with my PD goes against my training and makes me think twice.

There's no problem with mixing and using my own sanitizer, right? Is there any better combination than rubbing alcohol (70%) with a bit of Purell?

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

3/2007Kidney failure diagnosed5/2010In-center hemodialysis
8/2008Peritoneal catheter placed1/2012Upper arm fistula created
9/2008Peritoneal catheter replaced3/2012Started using fistula
9/2008Began CAPD4/2012Buttonholes created
3/2009Switched to CCPD w/ Newton IQ cycler            4/2012HD catheter removed
7/2009Switched to Liberty cycler            4/2018Transplanted at UCLA!
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 04:09:59 AM »

I've read that the best action against germs is to wash your hands with soap and warm water and rinse the germs away.  The gel is for when you don't have access to soap and water.  So, what I'm thinking is you are relying too much on the gel when the sink is right there.  Get one $15 bottle and make it last.

:waving;

Restorer

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 12:28:57 PM »

Like I said, I do wash my hands first, very well. Then I go into my room, shut the door, and start setting up the cycler. The Liberty has several annoying "set-up" periods, where I tend to sit at my computer and do a couple things while I wait, which means touching the keyboard and mouse. So when I get back up to continue setting up the cycler, I use a couple pumps of hand sanitizer to be safe.

I also can't head to the bathroom to wash my hands before I disconnect from either the cycler or my manual fill, as the sink upstairs doesn't work. So I scrub away all the gunk and germs from my hands before I connect, then there's less problem with using just the hand sanitizer before I disconnect.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

Jean
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 01:07:56 PM »

I think that is an interesting post restorer. Perhaps you could come up with the right combination. Dont know how, but I am sure you figure it out, you are a smart guy. Let us know.

One day at a time, thats all I can do.
Jie

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 08:10:30 PM »

In my more than 8 months of PD, I used hand sanitizer for less than 5 times. So, I am not sure it is necessary to use hand sanitizer after washing hands.
Restorer

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 09:08:16 PM »

It's probably not necessary in most cases, but it depends on the person. For one, I connect to the cycler at 11:00pm and then stay up another 2 or 3 hours on my computer, often snacking on things. I feel safer sanitizing my hands before I disconnect in the morning so that nothing remaining on my fingertips poses a danger to my cleanliness.

I want to be able to act normally while connected, whether it's to the cycler or to a manual bag. Things like scratching your head or your nose can easily pick up bacteria like Staph aureus, which could transfer to your catheter when you disconnect. Rather than avoid touching anything while I'm connected, I let it be and just rub on some sanitizer when I need it.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

CCStan

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2009, 09:36:27 PM »

Restorer, I do not think mixing your own santizer is a good idea.  Resoning you would be mixing non sterile ingredients, and bottle and pump can lose their cleanliness, and inviting mircobes into your homemade solution.  Better to look at ingrdients in the cheaper generic brands, you may find find one you like and would be safer.  Just my opinion
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2009, 02:36:50 PM »

In the UK we used Hibiscrub to wash our hands and then Hibisol on our hands every single time. It was clear and didnt have a sticky feeling and dried in a few mins. I used these every time (not one or the other , but both) and never had peritonitis. Also you clean your exit site with Hydrogen peroxide ?? !!!! We use sterile water , previously it was Betadine , but now even sterile water had been replaced with some , er how do i describe them ? sterile sticks that snap open and have a cleaning agent (dont know its name!) but they have been using it on my line (hemo) and it stings like **** .

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Restorer

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 03:23:34 PM »

The hydrogen peroxide was to break up drainage and clean off scabs and such in the first week or two while the exit site was still healing.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

djgaryb11

« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 10:24:19 PM »

I get a big bottle of Hand Sanitizer from Sam's Club...it's their own brand, and its 64 oz for $ 6.99 ....one big pump bottle lasts me several months...if you have a Sam's Club in your area check it out !

7/2001 Diagnosed with Hypertension and Chronic Kidney Disease
2/2008 Diagnosed with End Stage Renal Disease
4/2008 Surgery to Create Backup A/V Fistula in Left Arm
7/2008 Placed on "UNOS" list for a Kidney Transplant
10/2008 Surgery to place PD Catheter
10/2008 Started CAPD
11/2008 Started on Baxter HomeChoice PD Cycler ( CCPD)
Restorer

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2009, 12:55:00 PM »

Looks like there's a Sam's Club near me. I've never been to one, and I've never had a membership there. I used to have a membership at Costco, and I still have the card to sneak in past the door checker >:D, so I'll check there sometime. I think my sister has a Sam's Club membership, so maybe I'll wait until she visits for Christmas. I'm very particular about hand sanitizer - I don't like the gels, which is why I like Germstar. It's extremely light and doesn't leave anything behind. The problem with buying giant bottles is that, if I don't like it, it's more of a waste. I'll check out Costco and Sam's Club and see what they have.

It seems like the only issue is reuse of the pump bottle. I wonder how they do it with the installed dispensers. Maybe it's built into the bag - something like how the cycler pumps without touching the fluid. Maybe I'll just buy a dispenser and the bags of Germstar. Each bag should last me at least 3 months, and each bag is $25 if I buy six at a time.

Oh, now I see how they do it. Apparently the bags have a dispensing tube with a magnetic valve. The dispenser just opens the valve for a certain amount of time to dispense the right amount of sanitizer. Smart. These kinds of things interest me. ;)

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

murf

« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2009, 01:15:39 PM »

Probably a dumb question from newbie to PD. But why not use surgical gloves as the nurses do at my hemo centre?

Started Hemodialysis Anzac Day 2005
Patiently waiting for a transplant
Started PD New Year 2010
Taken off transpalnt list, Jan 211
Restorer

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2009, 12:11:30 AM »

Gloves are more expensive, more hassle, and produce more waste than hand sanitizer, as far as I can tell.

Also, I don't know enough about how clean non-sterile gloves are to start, and how clean they stay as you go.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

calypso

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2009, 05:29:23 AM »

I would think non sterile gloves are for doing the dishes if your hands are sensitive or working under the hood of your car to keep your hands clean. For medical use such as PD set up sterile procedure, it's medical grade sterile gloves or nothing.

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
Restorer

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 02:30:10 PM »

calypso, that's what I thought too, but to do the spiking of my bags with antibiotics, I was given a box of non-sterile latex exam gloves. Both my PD nurses have also used the same type of gloves when dealing with my catheter and exit site. The only time my PD nurse used sterile gloves was when changing my transfer set, and those came wrapped in pairs in a sterile package.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2009, 04:52:03 PM »

I get a big bottle of Hand Sanitizer from Sam's Club...it's their own brand, and its 64 oz for $ 6.99 ....one big pump bottle lasts me several months...if you have a Sam's Club in your area check it out !

I just saw a giant bottle of hand sanitizer at Lowes.  I think it was 64 oz for $11.99.  A lot more than Sam's Club, but no membership involved.

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2010, 10:39:25 AM »

I came across this from ehow.com. I think I'll just keep buying the big cheap bottle - but here's how, if you're interested:

How to Make a Gel Hand Sanitizer

By Lisa LaVergne
User-Submitted Article

Using a hand gel sanitizer has become quite common these days. However, store bought sanitizers can be expensive and often contain harsh chemicals. Learn how to make your own hand gel sanitizer that is more affordable and much safer than what you will buy in the store.
Difficulty: Easy

Instructions
Things You'll Need:

* 100% pure aloe vera gel
    * Witch hazel
    * Tea Tree Oil
    * Peppermint Oil

Step 1

To make your own gel hand sanitizer, you will need to purchase a few ingredients. Most of these ingredients are very inexpensive and will allow you to make a great deal of hand gel sanitizer.

Step 2

You will need to purchase 100% pure aloe vera gel, Witch Hazel, Tea Tree essential oil and Peppermint essential oil. All of these ingredients should be high quality and contain to additional additives.

Step 3

Place about 1 cup of your pure aloe vera gel into a bowl.

Step 4

Slowly mix in 1-2 teaspoons of Witch Hazel. You do not want the consistency of the gel to become too thin.

Step 5

Add 3-4 drops of Tea Tree essential oil, and 3-4 drops of Peppermint essential oil. Slowly stir ingredients together.

Step 6

If you find the consistency to be too thin, add more aloe vera gel a teaspoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency.

Step 7

Store in your desired container. Use as you would any other hand sanitizer as necessary.

Step 8

All of the ingredients in this mixture are safe and natural to use on your body. Witch Hazel, Tea Tree Oil and Peppermint all have antiseptic and astringent properties to them, which make them great for killing germs and also healing small cuts and wounds. The aloe vera gel will help soothe skin and keep skin from drying out.

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
phyl1215

« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2010, 09:49:46 AM »

I am new to PD and I have been told to wash my hands at the beginning and use hand sanitizer twice during the proceedure.  Seems one bottle will last a very long time using it this way if you have to use the more expensive type.

PD 3 yrs.
TX list 4 yrs.
Deceased donor PERFECT MATCH Kidney transplant July 8, 2012

Learning To Dance In The Rain
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2010, 06:36:49 PM »

An organic, non-toxic hand sanitizer is made by blending vodka, water, vegetable glycerin and essential oils, creating a safe, anti-bacterial salve that's easy on the wallet as well as the environment.
VIDEO: http://www.greenwala.com/community/videos/all/3278-How-to-Make-Non-Toxic-Hand-Sanitizer

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
noahvale
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2010, 07:27:47 PM »

« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 02:10:58 AM by noahvale » Logged
tito

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2010, 11:41:43 AM »

Started off scrubbing with Dial soap and using paper towels before PD set up. I had a hip replacement in June and am walking now with a cane. By the time I walk into the room with my cane, holding on to things as I go, I feel I am no longer sterile - so I use hand sanitizer before set up.

Also, the Dial has tryclosan, and I've read some negative things about this chemical. The alcohol in sanitizer is harmless, so I feel better using it. Plus, I've read some studies that seem to indicate that your hands are actually cleaner with sanitizer. You just have to use it properly and get all the spots.
traceyls

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 01:53:37 AM »

I also have tried a few products.  Being a woman, it was ugly to have my hands look old and dry from using the traditional sanitizers.  I love the Gold Bond sanitizer/lotion.  It takes a min or so to soak in so my hands are not slippery when I do my treatments. The other ones dry much quicker in your hands.  My hands feel great and I know I'm as germ free as possible.
Restorer

« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2010, 06:03:54 PM »

I mentioned at the beginning of this thread that I like Germstar because it's thin and dries quickly and completely. Some brands of hand sanitizer gel leave my hands feeling sticky. Once very important thing is that dry hands are safer. The sanitizer/lotion coats your hands and makes it easier to pick up contaminants again.

- Matt - wasabiflux.org
- Dialysis Calculators

BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2010, 09:02:49 AM »

Check with the Costco pharmacy to see if they can order Germstar for you.  Where I live, they have the best prices around.   Georgia also has a law that says if a membership club like Costco and Sam's Club have pharmacy and eye care services, they have to allow anyone to use them without paying for a membership.  See if it is the same where you live.

There is a federal law that requires them to give access to the general public to their pharmacies and eye care services  regardless of location.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »