I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 18, 2024, 11:31:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Introduction
| |-+  The IHD Family - Our Members
| | |-+  2009 Holiday Gift Exchange
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 2009 Holiday Gift Exchange  (Read 82401 times)
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2009, 11:48:14 AM »

:snowman;   this is the most fun! we're off to a fantastic start. and i get the best gift of all, all of you!!!!   :santahat;

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2009, 12:12:26 PM »

Dan, start a new thread in Off Topics.  I think it would be fun to see what people thought were the best and worst Christmas gifts.  I will have to give this some thought. 

Who else is signing up for the gift exchange?   Last year I got a beautiful, miniature crystal clock from Australia and I keep it set to their time so I always know what time it is where Tamara lives.   :thumbup;      :christmastree;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2009, 01:35:42 PM »

1.) What is your favorite dessert? Anything chocolate
2.) What are some of your favorite hobbies? I love paper of any kind. I do card making and scrap-booking, but I mourn the arrival of computers that have made lovey paper things less necessary.
3.) What colors do you like? blues, teals, greens... and just about any other colors
4.) What is your favorite candy? Dove dark choc!
5.) Do you collect anything? gray hair!  :rofl;
6.) What is your style? (ie..country..victorian..punk) utilitarian. I don't really have a style.
7.) Allergic to anything? strong perfumes
8.) If t-shirt or sweatshirt is ok - give size: x-large. I like 'em roomy.   :2thumbsup;
9.) Would you like a local item from your SS's home town? Absolutely
10.) Anything else your SS should know? Can't think of anything except that I'm a teacher.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
nursewratchet

"Either do it, or don't do it, don't try"

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2009, 02:02:02 PM »

WOOHOO!!!!! I'm in!!!  :bandance;

RN, Facility Administrator 2002 to present
RN, Staff Nurse 1996-2002
Vicki
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2009, 02:50:04 PM »

Excellent idea, O'Karol....

Okay, As my darling mum is taking part this year, I'll start with her... Her name is Elsie, by the way...

1.) What is your favorite dessert? Ice cream, Cookies, Sweets of any description, espicially fruit flavoured sweets, and LOVES jellybeans!... No chocolate though... Banned due to it's phosphate content... :banghead;

2.) What are some of your favorite hobbies?... Reading, loves biographies, TV (HUGE Judge Judy fan!), Fancies Judge Joe Brown... I won't tell you what she says she'd like to do with him, suffice to say, it involves getting him drunk and taking advantage of him! :rofl;..., Senior Citizen's Club... Drinking, or it used to be... Now she'd get drunk on a small packet of wine gums!... Does like a little white wine, though!... Doesn't like sport...

3.) What colors do you like?... Pink, Red, Yellow, Green, Orange....

4.) What is your favorite candy?... Jelly Beans (by the truckload!), Fruit flavoured sweets, Mints...

5.) Do you collect anything?...  Nephrologists!!!!... Wrinkles!!!...   :rofl;... Really likes Silverback Gorillas... Did I mention her taste in husbands???...  :rofl;....

6.) What is your style?... Conservative, but loves sparkley, blingy broaches, pins etc to 'brighten things up a bit'....

7.) Allergic to anything?... MEN... Just kidding Lads... Mum loves men... She says that she couldn't eat a whole one, though!!!!!!.....  :rofl;

8.) If t-shirt or sweatshirt is ok - give size.... Yes please... Sweatshirt if possible... Always too cold to wear t-shirts (this is Ireland!)...  Medium, or if close fitting, Large... PD makes her look pregnant!... She says IHD stuff would be VERY much appreciated!... While she doesn't come online, she keeps very much in touch with what's going on!...

9.) Would you like a local item from your SS's home town?... Yes, please...

10.) Anything else your SS should know?.... Powered Wheelchair user,  Widowed (Open to offers... Careful Lads, Mum's buried two husbands!)... Likes smellies, perfume, shower gels, etc... No bath things, please... We just have a roll in shower... Always has dry skin, so loves moisturising creams...  Likes picture frames, and small mirrors (Hangbag ALWAYS has a small mirror)... Goes through Pill boxes like nobody's business... Seems to wear them out.. That's what she says anyway... Personally I think she's eating them along with the Renagel she carries in them!... She's ALWAYS cold....Cold hands and feet... LIVES in warm fleece jackets, and soft rugs while sitting... Always checking her bag  for gloves, and I'm always buying warm socks etc..... Oh, and we have a Juvenile Deliquent, otherwise known as a small dog called Dougal... Mum adores her 'Little Man'!.... Wary of candles... Bit of a fire hazzard where there are people with disability... Oh and Mum has a wicked sense of humour, and is not averse to things that are a bit risque (You should see what her toothbrush is shaped as!)... Now you all know where I get my quiet, shy, retiring, nature from!... :rofl;... Oh and Mum loves Christmas things... We have several of those reindeer, turkeys, etc that 'sing'... Sing??? :sarcasm;

Now me.....

1.) What is your favorite dessert?...Ice cream, Cookies, Cheese, Fruit... (LOTS of cheese and fruit!!!!!).... I LOVE Strawberry licquorice...

2.) What are some of your favorite hobbies?... Volunteering, Reading, (LOVE True Crime, and humour!), Listening to music, particularly Ronan Tynan, Love Star Trek, and Star Trek, The next Generation (Oh I fancy Jean-Luc Picard... I'd stir HIS Earl Grey, anytime!), and I absolutely love the first trilogy of Star Wars films... LOVE Darthvadar... Am a bit of a TV fan... Favourite shows, Mythbusters, Deadliest Catch, and news programmes...

3.) What colors do you like?... Like green, yellow, purple, blue... I HATE pink with a passion!!!!!!.... YUCK!!!!... Mum used to dress me like a flipping Christmas Tree in pink when I was a kid... Now I won't even wear pink foundation garments... Nightmare... Pink is Satan's own creation!!.... :puke;

4.) What is your favorite candy?...  Any strong flavours, fruit, clove, aniseed, mint, liquorice, etc.... LOVE chocolate, but having a nut allergy, there aren't many types of chocolate I can eat (Check the pack for allergy advice!)... Marshmallows...

5.) Do you collect anything?... Elephants... Particularly ornaments, but just about everything elephant.. If it has tusks and a trunk, I love it...

6.) What is your style?... Conservative, but love sparkley broches and pins...

7.) Allergic to anything?... NUTS!!!... Severe allergy... There are about twenty Anapen (adreneline) injections dotted around the house!...

8.) If t-shirt or sweatshirt is ok - give size:... Sweatshirt please... Extra Large, please... Love my comfort!... I would also love IHD stuff (Got to keep up with the mum... If she looks cool, I'd like to as well!... Just because it's not me who's in ESKF doesn't mean I like D any more than she does!....

9.) Would you like a local item from your SS's home town?... Yes please (Particularly if that 'item' is male, tall, dark, handsome, rich, available, with one foot in the grave, and the other one on a bar of soap!)... No???.. Oh well, no harm in trying, and a girl can dream!... Bring it on!....

10.) Anything else your SS should know?... Powered Wheelchair user, Carer to my mum,... Love nice smellies... Wary of candles (scared of fire!)... Picture frames are nice, too... Like Christmas ornaments... I am joint owner to the little hooligan, otherwise known as a little dog called Dougal... Great little chap (Much as I hate to admit it!)... Write a lot of letters, so nice pens are popular... Dreadful memory due to high doses of steroids, so diaries and calenders are great... Like mirrors too... In fact, I know I'll love anything given with a loving heart (apart from nuts, that is)... I'll take a gift of a Snickers bar as a murder attempt!... :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;... Mum would take it as assistance and would probably share the Life Assurance payout!.... :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

Oooooh Boy... I'm getting SO excited about this already!!!!!....

Love to all...

Darth...

« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 05:03:58 AM by Darthvadar » Logged

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2009, 03:12:27 PM »

16 people already, boy you guys are good!

:snowman;  :christmastree;  :snowman;  :christmastree;  :rudolph;
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 11:29:28 PM by thegrammalady » Logged

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2009, 03:13:44 PM »

We do like to keep you on your toes, Grammalady! :yahoo;

Love...

Darth...

Cared for my late mum, Elsie who had Kidney Failure... Darling mum died on July 15th 2014... May her gentle soul rest in peace....
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2009, 03:21:39 PM »

OMG, I love Jelly Beans ( I like the black ones best and then fruit) and I love Ronan Tynan.

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2009, 03:23:22 PM »

I'll have to think on what to post on  my list. Forgot what I posted last year and things may have changed.

By the way, they do have A&W Rootbeer Floats in a bottle. Not sure how they tatse though, never bought one since they are not in diet rootbeer form. They also have an Orange Crush Float in a bottle by the same company.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2009, 04:02:11 PM »

OMG, I love Jelly Beans ( I like the black ones best and then fruit) and I love Ronan Tynan.

Hi Dan... Yes, Mum LOVES jelly beans.... Particularly the orange flavoured ones.... She's been known to eat three 250gram bags in the same day!....

I'm the Ronan Tynan fan... LOVE him!... I'd say the poor guy remembers me well... When he was a doctor in a Dublin hospital, I threw up all over the poor man... Nice, eh???.... :rofl;

Mizar

« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2009, 04:30:34 PM »

Question? I didn't get in on this last Year, because of Health Issues. soooo, what else is new on an IHD Site? Anyhoo, if You did participate, and You wanted to remain, a SS, till Christmas Day, did You put a Return Address, on the Box, You sent?
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2009, 04:34:54 PM »

Regarding the return address: if you don't put you name, just your address it may remain a mystery.   Doesn't work if you have to mail it overseas though!   :rofl;   

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2009, 04:54:03 PM »

I want in!!!  Just pmed my info!!!

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
del
Elite Member

« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2009, 05:03:18 PM »

Here's my list:

1.) What is your favorite dessert? anything!!!
2.) What are some of your favorite hobbies? Photography, gardening, cardmaking, scrapbooking, sewing, reading
3.) What colors do you like? almost all colors
4.) What is your favorite candy? No favorite - trying to lose weight lol
5.) Do you collect anything? miniature clocks,
6.) What is your style? (ie..country..victorian..punk) traditional
7.) Allergic to anything? allergic to anything scented
8.) If t-shirt or sweatshirt is ok - give size: Women's large
9.) Would you like a local item from your SS's home town? (ie...ornament, bar glass, coffee mug, fridge magnet, etc.) YEAH!
10.) Anything else your SS should know? I would like anything I am sent. Would really like something unigue from my secret santa's part of the world!!
 :snowman;

I can't wait until Christmas now!!!

willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2009, 05:07:29 PM »

Yeah. I can hardly wait to find out who I'll be giving to.

The wait is so haaaaard!

:rofl;

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
del
Elite Member

« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2009, 05:09:28 PM »

I always have fun trying to find something from Newfoundland that I think that person would really like.  If I get dw's name I already know what I would get for him!!  LOL :beer1;

dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2009, 05:10:07 PM »

This is so good for more reasons than one.  Actually I gave away my favorite ornaments after last Christmas because I thought it  would be my last Christmas...  It was a jazz band to my good friend and great jazz musician.  lol  I won't ask for them back.  But now here I am on dialysis - a slight nuisance and interruption of my daily life but now a part of my life.

Dartvader... I love Ronan's voice but I love it more because he is such a good man.  Hope I don't get your mum's name cause I'd never give away any of my jelly beans. lol

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
cariad
Elite Member

What's past is prologue

« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2009, 05:11:03 PM »

I would really like to participate, but will wait until it is closer to the deadline to confirm. I theoretically have a transplant coming up soon, and need to know what the date is before I can promise to be out gift hunting.

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle. - Philo of Alexandria

People have hope in me. - John Bul Dau, Sudanese Lost Boy
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2009, 05:12:16 PM »

Del, when (if) I get my digital camera working I'll photograph  some photographs in my bathroom and show you what you've already given me.

Photographs hanging in the bathroom I mean (before Hanify smarts off).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 05:13:48 PM by dwcrawford » Logged

del
Elite Member

« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2009, 05:16:39 PM »

Del, when (if) I get my digital camera working I'll photograph  some photographs in my bathroom and show you what you've already given me.

Photographs hanging in the bathroom I mean (before Hanify smarts off).

OMG dw!!!  I was wondering what in the name of goodness you were going to photograph in your bathroom!!  :rofl;  I hope it is the photos of sunsets that I posted LOL!!!

del
Elite Member

« Reply #45 on: September 15, 2009, 05:18:55 PM »

Hubby wants in too!!  I just pmed the info for him!!  Now I'll have to do a list for him!!!  He doesn't even know how to turn the computer on!!!  No interest at all in computers. 

dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #46 on: September 15, 2009, 05:21:15 PM »

Yes Del.  They turned out very well.  Four of them in plain black frames hanging on a light green wall.  You'd think a decorator did it. 

I figured it would be Bernette with that comment so I fixed it really fast.

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #47 on: September 15, 2009, 05:27:53 PM »

1.) What is your favorite dessert? rich, dark chocolate. (Like you don't know that already!)
2.) What are some of your favorite hobbies? Reading science fiction, swimming, movies, old sci fi DVDS
3.) What colors do you like? royal colors- blue, green, purple
4.) What is your favorite candy? Dark chocolate
5.) Do you collect anything? neat looking boxes, unusual boxes, lighthouses
6.) What is your style? early junk?? Is that a style?
7.) Allergic to anything? allergic to anything scented
8.) If t-shirt or sweatshirt is ok - give size: XXL
9.) Would you like a local item from your SS's home town? (ie...ornament, bar glass, coffee mug, fridge magnet, etc.) YEAH!
10.) Anything else your SS should know? Just have fun!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Darthvadar
Elite Member

« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2009, 05:55:02 PM »

Dartvader... I love Ronan's voice but I love it more because he is such a good man.  Hope I don't get your mum's name cause I'd never give away any of my jelly beans. lol

I'd say Mum's thinking EXACTLY the same, Dan... Can't see her willingly parting company with her jelly beans, either!... :rofl;

Yep, I'm with you about Ronan... He's a big guy with a huge heart, and a great sense of humour... EXACTLY my kind of guy!...
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 05:59:19 PM by Darthvadar » Logged

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2009, 06:01:37 PM »

1.) What is your favorite dessert? rich, Milk Chocolate or White Chocolate, some Dark Chocolate

2.) What are some of your favorite hobbies? Driving, Computer stuff, keeping truck clean, reading low vision tech magazines, tech mags, auto and truck  mags, Also like to read automotive history.

3.) What colors do you like? Black, Blue (not light), Grey, White

4.) What is your favorite candy? White Chocolate Nestle Crunch, Hunk Bar or just White Chocolate, Fudge w/o nuts (Ryba's in WI  :2thumbsup;)

5.) Do you collect anything?  Medical Bills for sure!  Money, but oh wait that's saving! :rofl; Actually Horse stuff, Half used Starbuck's cards

6.) What is your style? I don't know, need an example

7.) Allergic to anything? Yes, bills! Along with flower smells

8.) If t-shirt or sweatshirt is ok - L to extra large if not preshrunk

9.) Would you like a local item from your SS's home town? (ie...ornament, bar glass, coffee mug, fridge magnet, etc.) You Betcha!

10.) Anything else your SS should know? I like humor such as Craig Ferguson)! Looking for a stash of Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies or the Samoas (sp?)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 04:15:37 PM by Chris » Logged

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012