I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 08:46:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Cell Phones
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Cell Phones  (Read 27583 times)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« on: October 14, 2005, 05:57:08 AM »

My Dialysis Center bans cell phones.  They say it could mess with the machines.  We have Fresenius machines.

I think this is "BS".  I can understand no cell phones on air planes, but Dialysis Machines?   You can't tell me that the folks who are on home use machines don't have protable phones, remote controlls, microwaves, wireless internet etc. 

What do you think??

Iowagirl

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2005, 07:46:46 AM »

My unit doesn't have issues with cell phones.  for staff or patients :)

Life is not about how fast you run or how high you climb, but how well you bounce.
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2005, 09:00:55 AM »

I go to Davita and I use my cell phone all the time. Even the workers talk on their cell phone. They better not tell me not to use it, because my son is in school while I am on dialysis and I need it on in case of an emergency at his school. If they told me not to use it I wouldn't care I still would, what are they going to do to me ruin my kidneys, break my hips, enlarge my heart, stick needles in me? too late been there done that.  >:D

If you go to a center that doesn't allow phones just put your phone on vibrate and talk softly. I personally have my ringer on the highest setting.  ;D

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
babi68

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2005, 09:24:12 PM »

Sounds like a little bit of bs to me. Everyone here has their phones. I sit and play games on mine sometimes and no-one even seems to notice. I would still use it >:D Liz
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2005, 04:18:59 AM »

Thanks for all your replies.  I think I'll contact Fresenius and get their information. Hmmmm although, they may say no cell phones just as a "CYA" clause.   But, if nothing else you have given me some ammunition to take to the director of the unit.  :-* :-\ :P

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2005, 12:05:27 AM »

Liz, thanks so much for that idea.  I will play games on my cellphone when (a) I can't sleep (b) the television programme on is blah (c) I'm bored.
I think they prefer us to have cellphones at my centre.  Then they wouldn't have to answer phonecalls from our relatives or friends checking up on us, or making calls for us for someone to pick us up. (They do this easily without any complaint, however)

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Jamie

What's life with out alittle magic?

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2005, 11:56:37 PM »

My unit is ther same they do not allow the use of cell phones either.....Jamie-G

What's life with out a little magic?
Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 11:06:31 PM »

I've switched centers and am at DaVita.  I hate it there too, but at least I can use my cell phone and on Saturday I get free minutes.  I talked to my Aunt and a friend and the time went by quickly.  I feel like I'm being productive.  Ya know.... getting a few phone calls out of the way.   :o

ohhmygolly

patient care tech 4 yrs.equp. tech past 16 yrs

« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2005, 08:27:03 PM »

i have been worked in diailysis for over 20 years and have never seen or heard of a cell phone to be a problem with a fresenius machine 2008D all the way to the  2008k
but
fresenius has said it may or may not be a problem ( i don't think they know but cya )
in my unit it's ok for patients but not for staff
i want my staff to pay attention to the patient not the phone
calypso

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2006, 08:08:22 PM »

Anyone ever see that show Mythbusters? They did an episode on cell phone's affect on plane avionics and the 800mhz cell phone affected it very negatively but the higher frequency ones 2.5ghz, etc. didn't. But basically the conclusion was that it could be a hazard.

Don't know about dialysis machines though. But I doubt they are as sensitive to EMI as the plane's avionics.

"The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views ... which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.
-Doctor Who, "Face of Evil"

"The trouble with the world is not that people know too little, but that they know so many things that ain't so." - Mark Twain

"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr.
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2006, 06:45:53 AM »

I work as an equipment technician for a Fresenius clinic so I can help out on this one.  The no cell phone thing is out there for a few reasons.  The first is that all electronic equipmet must by law accept any incoming interference.  That means that the signal coming to or from your phone has the possibility of messing with the electronics in the dialysis machine.  Just for example if you hold your phone near your computer speakers when you turn on your phone and you will probably hear some ticking interference sounds from your speakers.  It happens with mine and some others that I have talked to.  I have Nextel.  There have been plenty of debates about this and some phones have been proved to cause problems.  Newer phones don't seem to have these problems, so if you have an old phone better safe than sorry.  This rule is put into place for everyones protection.  The second reason is to help keep the noise down on the floor.  Your stuck there for several hours, do you really want to be forced to be sitting next to someone on the phone.  I find that really annoying in the clinic and other places like the train.  Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 05:50:39 PM by Hawkeye » Logged

It's not easy being green.
Naggy6

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2006, 01:32:52 PM »

cell phones are not a problem at my clinic.

I know plenty of times when visiting family members in the hospital they say no cell phones. then your in there and the nurses are all walking around with them so how bad can it be.

I can understand not having them in some places (movies) and places like that but really what dif. does it make if the person on the train sitting next to you is talking on their phone or talking to another person on the train.

I realize that some people talk louder on the phone but then again my sister talks that loud all the time, so it's all the same to me.

Isn't it nice to go where every body knows your name.
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2006, 03:59:07 PM »

I work as an equipment technician for a Fresenius clinic so I can help out on this one.  The no cell phone thing is out there for a few reasons.  The first is that all electronic equipmet must by law accept any incoming interference.  That means that the signal coming to or from your phone has the possibility of messing with the electronics in the dialysis machine.  Just for example if you hold your phone near your computer speakers when you turn on your phone and you will probably hear some ticking interference sounds from your speakers.  It happens with mine and some others that I have talked to.  I have Nextel.  There have been plenty of debates about this and some phones have been proved to cause problems.  Newer phones don't seem to have these problems, so if you have an old phone better safe than sorry.  This rule is put into place for everyones protection.  The second reason is to help keep the noise down on the floor.  Your stuck there for several hours, do you really want to be forced to someone sitting next to you on the phone.  I find that really annoying in the clinic and other places like the train.  Hope this helps.

Hello Hawkeye,

Welcome to the site, you are not the only employee of a center on here, we have a few.  I welcome your posts and hope you will continue to post and help answer questions from the other members.

- Epoman
Admin/Owner

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

jdat

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2006, 06:01:18 AM »

Here in France they're not too happy about cellphones in the centers.

I had my cellphone in plain sight a couple weeks ago and a nurse told me to shut it off as it could interfere with the wireless transmitters from the dialysis units ( they transmit reports etc back from the unit to the main computer ).
I think I call bs but what can you do really  ???  :-X

I do still play games with the phone all the time but I keep the phone mode off  ::)

nkviking75

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 04:21:37 PM »

In my center cell phones are not allowed.  However, I have forgotten to turn mine off on several occasions and there's never been a problem.  Once in awhile they've allowed me to use their cordless phone without incident.  So I'm hard pressed to believe there'd be a problem with cell phones, at least with our unit's equipment.
Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2006, 06:00:24 PM »

Like I said in an earlier post all electronic equipment must accept any incoming interference.  Does this mean that using your cell phone will cause the machine to go berserk....no.   Does this mean that using your cell phone can cause the machine to act goofy and alarm...yes.  It may even cause readings like BP and kt/v to not record properly.  With the newer machine and phone technology this really isn't a factor.  It really is an outdated rule that dialysis companies keep around to protect their own butts should something happen.

Rerun
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2006, 06:02:22 PM »

Like I said in an earlier post all electronic equipment must accept any incoming interference.  Does this mean that using your cell phone will cause the machine to go berserk....no.   Does this mean that using your cell phone can cause the machine to act goofy and alarm...yes.  It may even cause readings like BP and kt/v to not record properly.  With the newer machine and phone technology this really isn't a factor.  It really is an outdated rule that dialysis companies keep around to protect their own butts should something happen.

Exactly.  Thank you Hawkeye.

Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 06:05:00 PM »

Exactly.  Thank you Hawkeye.

My pleasure Rerun.

livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 07:16:24 PM »

My unit had a no cellphone policy but didn't really enforce it.  I thought the whole thing was bunk so I tried a little experiment.  With the phone in a call and transmitting I moved it physically close to the CPU in the dialysis machine which was a Fresenius 2008 I recall.  Sure enough the machine started alarming.  Since once is never enough I tried it again with the same results.  Was the machine just alarming or could the RF have changed a programming parameter?  That I don't know but the experiment proved that there are valid reasons for such bans.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2006, 08:34:52 AM »

As Jamie said before he died, my hospital does NOT allow them .. but in my Self Care unit I can use mine as much as I like .. because it is not in the actual hospital. So I get the impression it is not the actual dialysis machines but other machines that are related to hospitals. I am on the Fresenius 2008K.

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2006, 10:30:19 AM »

My unit had a no cellphone policy but didn't really enforce it.  I thought the whole thing was bunk so I tried a little experiment.  With the phone in a call and transmitting I moved it physically close to the CPU in the dialysis machine which was a Fresenius 2008 I recall.  Sure enough the machine started alarming.  Since once is never enough I tried it again with the same results.  Was the machine just alarming or could the RF have changed a programming parameter?  That I don't know but the experiment proved that there are valid reasons for such bans.

Well could it be that you were moving to get the cell phone that close to the machine and you cause an alarm to go off because of the venous or arterial pressures? I have asked several people about the cell phone paranoia and many say it's just like the "Turn your cell phone off at gas stations" ever see the show "MythBusters" they tried EVERY possible scenario to get the cell phone to cause a explosion, but nothing. The techs at my old Davita always used to use cell phones in the treatment area right next to the machines. I personally believe it is just a myth because only some centers do not allow cell phones, every center I've been to allows cell phones. I have used my cell phone(s) for the last 13 years at dialysis many different brands over the years and have never had a problem. And if I am correct the "CPU" of the Fresenius machine is in the back which is accessed through a access panel toward the top of the machine.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator

Hawkeye
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2006, 11:20:24 AM »

And if I am correct the "CPU" of the Fresenius machine is in the back which is accessed through a access panel toward the top of the machine.

Very close but not quite.  The CPU is on the Function card of the machine towards the middle of the top section in the card cage. Basically if you undo two screws on the back the whole front panel (area where the touch screen and other main buttons are) pulls out for access to the card cage.

bluedove57

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2007, 10:35:55 AM »

:clap;  I understand what you mean about cell phones. We can't have them either but it all depends who is working. If you're expecting an important call it's ok. If it's from a doctors office that's ok too. But if it's your pregnant daughter calling to tell you she is having a misscarriage that's a no-no. Screw them. I go under my blanket and use my phone when I want. What they can't see they can't complain about. Try it sometime.  :2thumbsup;
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2007, 02:18:40 PM »

i go to a Fresenius run unit and they have no such rule. i do keep my phones ring on silent though. i have heard cel phones ringing so i know not everyone does. the center i use when i am in oregon, which is run by a local hospital doesn't have a problem with them either. i have a severely, developmentally disabled child, i really don't care where i am i need my phone. the only exception is in the air, because there i can't do anything about problems anyway.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2007, 05:24:12 PM »

It seems crazy to me, that patients who are waiting for years for "the call" would be denied cell phone access during a big chunk of their day.

If it were me, I would leave it on vibrate (I would probably use a headset under the pillow too, if I had to make a call.)

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »