I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 08:35:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Seating Preference ??????????
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Seating Preference ??????????  (Read 5726 times)
Designstudent

« on: October 15, 2006, 04:46:20 PM »

Hello everyone, we have a problem that we are looking to solve in our initial concept stage  :banghead;, we would like to ask all of you to look at the following items and rate them in order of importance to you, so that the first one you list is most important to you and the last one you list is the one you would give up first.

Here they are:
(a) Having your own window or outdoor view
(b) Having the ability to interact with another patient (your neighboring patient)
(c) Having the ability to interact with a group of patients (more than 3)
(d) Having the ability to interact with all the patients in the treatment center via webcam/conferencing rather than face to face.

*Note* with all of these options you would have the choice to participate or not, so dont assume that choosing any one of them would take away from your privacy.

thanks!!
alan and tony   :thx;
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 10:41:43 AM by Designstudent » Logged
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2006, 06:20:41 PM »

Importance in design answer:
1, A window would be nice but not if it looks out onto the garbage or a wall or some such ugly place.
2. Most dialysis patients are older in some units and do not want to interface with anyone else so it is difficult to answer your next questions.
    a. I would like to be able to talk to my neighbor once in a while.
    b. It would ne nice to interact with anyone in the unit. To play games or to talk or to share a movie or just IM each other across the unit.
    c.  Interact with the patients in the area around me would be last. 

Note: When you plan interactions take notice that most patients now are not computer savvy.  It would have to be a volunteer thing for patients to do. Make sure it is an easy interface to use.  Not every patient wants to talk to another patient and can be down right rude to you when you talk to them. Sometimes they just want to be left alone and sleep it out or be alone.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 09:07:20 PM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Fox_nc

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2006, 09:01:28 PM »

I currently have a window and love it!  As far as interacting with other patients, it really depends on the day I'm having.  Some days I want to sit and chat with them, others I want to be by myself.  I think having a option of either one that could be changed at any time would be best.  The ideal setting would have a option of either.  To put them in order it would be ... a, c, b, d

Being normal is not necessarily a virtue. It rather denotes a lack of courage. -- from the movie Practical Magic
Designstudent

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 08:57:39 AM »

Importance in design answer:
1, A window would be nice but not if it looks out onto the garbage or a wall or some such ugly place.
2. Most dialysis patients are older in some units and do not want to interface with anyone else so it is difficult to answer your next questions.
    a. I would like to be able to talk to my neighbor once in a while.
    b. It would ne nice to interact with anyone in the unit. To play games or to talk or to share a movie or just IM each other across the unit.
    c.  Interact with the patients in the area around me would be last. 

Note: When you plan interactions take notice that most patients now are not computer savvy.  It would have to be a volunteer thing for patients to do. Make sure it is an easy interface to use.  Not every patient wants to talk to another patient and can be down right rude to you when you talk to them. Sometimes they just want to be left alone and sleep it out or be alone.

thnaks kitkatz...  what you mentioned at the end is something we considered... the fact that we are posting this poll online means that all of our test audience is already somewhat "tech savvy", so its not the most objective polling method  :-\ but we are at least aware of that, and we will spend alot of time working on interface and how the system works, we wont just throw a computer in the area and say "there.. now you can chat" , im looking forward to getting some of our concepts refined and showing them to you all.   ;D

.........more feedback please  :2thumbsup;
alan and tony
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 10:45:23 AM by Designstudent » Logged
Designstudent

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2006, 10:44:53 AM »

Hey everyone It would be greatly appreciated if we could get somemore responses, we need a variety of people's preferences.  The reason is that we can't really make an conclusion off what two people like.  Everyones efforts and time are appreciated.    ;D

:thx;   Thanks again,

Tony & Alan
« Last Edit: October 17, 2006, 10:47:02 AM by Designstudent » Logged
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2006, 11:30:51 AM »

I had assumed the lack of response indicated that everyone agreed w/ Kat.  I can't really voice an experienced opinion because I'm not a patient and my husband is not yet on dialysis, and when he does start he hopes to be at home on a NxStage.

BUT, I do know for my husband, if he were to have to go in center, the #1 most important thing would be privacy, #2 would be quiet, #3 would be internet access.  He would not be that interested in interacting with other patients -- he's just not naturally gregarious.  If he were, he'd be posting here instead.   ;D

IMO, there is nothing wrong with relying on previous studies which have already shown the benefits of having a window as opposed to a wall, especially in a small space.  Dialysis patients already deal with claustrophobia like issues, so I think we could safely assume that a window with a nice view would be even more beneficial for them. :twocents;

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 12:11:03 PM »

Most of the patients on my shift are rude, blast their TV's or are just plain crazy (one guy screams everyone's name when they're on the other side of the clniic.)  I was much more willing to meet other patients on the night shift where they seemed to be much more open, friendly and considerate.

So in response to your survey, I wouldn't want any interaction with other patients, IM or otherwise.  As far as a window, we have them but we're faced in the opposite direction from them and have to have the shades closed because the light reflects off the TV.

Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983 (Mom)
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996 (Sister)
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now...

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 04:02:20 PM »

Think about the people you are going to be putting into the unit.
Do they work?
Are they older?
Are they capable of using a computer?
Do they want communication with others?

Are you going to divide the unit into haves and have nots by what they want to do while they are there?  How do you make it equitable across the board for everyone?

And all of it has to cleanable and be able to be disinfected regularly throughout the day.

Think about the quiet we all desire after a long day of work.  I do not want the senile old lady yelling at the nurses all night long sitting next to me. Nor do I want the crier(the lady that cries in a pitiful whine all treatment long) in the unit next to me.  Give them a sound proof area and let them go to town. Some days I just want to get off of my feet and sleep, others I would not mind a little conversation with someone.   Email and IM and computer access would be nice at that time.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2006, 04:05:16 PM »

You already have it set in the way I would prefer it -
(a)
(b)
(c)
(d)

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
AlasdairUK

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2006, 05:51:35 AM »

In my last unit I enjoyed talking to the people around me. We where all 25 - 40 either working or in full time education. It was during the evening shift and we where all relatively healthy. We had a good atmosphere and there was good friendly banter.

In my new hospital I hardly talk to anyone. I think the layout of the room has a big role to play. At the end of the day they try get as many machines into the room to maximize space to treat as many patients as possible.

A window would be at the bottom of my list. I have dialysis at night and it would either be dark or I would have a view of another wing of the hospital.

Many people are older or unwell on dialysis so interactive methods might not be for everyone.

At the end of the day in-centre dialysis is a medical facility and the staff have to be able to get to patients quickly as and if required so a chair with too much clutter around it may not be ideal.

I'm interested to know how you plan to improve the standard chair. I take in my psp or laptop to watch movies if I want. Some days I take a book in to read or I might take my mp3 player or even a combination and this meets all my needs.

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
AlasdairUK

« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2006, 05:53:43 AM »

To answer your question:

1. B
2. C
3. A
4. D

94 - PD for 3 months
94 - HD Permcath for 3 months
95 - RLD Transplant 10 years
2005 - HD Permcath 6 months
2006 - 2008 HDF Fistula
2008 - 2nd Transplant
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2006, 02:42:43 PM »

Dialysis patients already deal with claustrophobia like issues, so I think we could safely assume that a window with a nice view would be even more beneficial for them. :twocents;

I don't know about the claustrophobia like issues on dialysis, what do you mean?  I never heard that before.  Anyway I'd like a window view.  My center is part of the hospital and there's always something going on so it would give me something to look at instead of the TV. 

Facebook: DonnaMarieMenard
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2006, 04:15:47 PM »

I don't know about the claustrophobia like issues on dialysis, what do you mean?  I never heard that before. ...

Some patients feel confined and have great difficulty sitting still and restrained in one place for hours when they know they cannot just get up and walk out at any time.  Some have symptoms similar to a panic attack and need a relaxing medication before they go to the clinic or immediately on arrival.  It  has been discussed here before, but I do not recall which thread.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2006, 04:25:40 PM »

A - Window

I think I'm the only one who specks ENGLISH and I refuse to learn Spanish, so keep me by myself!

meadowlandsnj

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2006, 04:37:46 PM »

I don't know about the claustrophobia like issues on dialysis, what do you mean?  I never heard that before. ...

Some patients feel confined and have great difficulty sitting still and restrained in one place for hours when they know they cannot just get up and walk out at any time.  Some have symptoms similar to a panic attack and need a relaxing medication before they go to the clinic or immediately on arrival.  It  has been discussed here before, but I do not recall which thread.

Thanks for explaining.  I've felt like that a few times myself having a panic attack on the machine.  I don't know what bought it on or why it happened. 

Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2006, 04:58:07 PM »

If I were still in-center, I definately would love cubicles, so I would have privacy. However what I have noticed is that many patients at my old center didn't get out much, and their social interaction was mainly at dialysis. So I know that many of the elderly patients enjoyed the social interaction. I however hated the social interaction. I tried to keep to myself as much as possible.

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
meadowlandsnj

« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2006, 06:33:21 PM »

I however hated the social interaction. I tried to keep to myself as much as possible.

Yeah, I can understand that.  I don't go to dialysis to make friends or socialize.  I go because I have to go.

Designstudent

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2006, 06:58:21 PM »

:clap;  Great feeback so far everyone, all the responses have been great.   The more variety of responses the better our direction will go.  "a,b,c,d"  there is no wrong answer.  I guess for the socail interaction part we thought that may would like it to pass the time with the option of having privacy, if wanted.  It might just depend on your day.  Buy great job everyone and keep em coming if you can. 

Thank you for your time........... ;D

Tony & Alan
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »