I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 10:32:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  A question for those who no longer urinate.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: A question for those who no longer urinate.  (Read 6205 times)
paul.karen
Elite Member

« on: September 09, 2009, 08:57:14 AM »

This will sound silly but i am curious.

Do you feel like you have to pee and just cant?
Or does the feeling of having to go just fade away altogether.

In other words will i just stand in front of my toilet for many many minutes waiting to go just to realize i cant or wont go?

Moved from Off Topic - Rerun, Moderator
« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 07:13:53 PM by Rerun » Logged

Curiosity killed the cat
Satisfaction brought it back

Operation for PD placement 7-14-09
Training for cycler 7-28-09

Started home dialysis using Baxter homechoice
8-7-09
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2009, 09:10:44 AM »

Usually you won't feel a thing.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
BigSky
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2009, 10:17:38 AM »

In other words will i just stand in front of my toilet for many many minutes waiting to go just to realize i cant or wont go?

Never feel the urge myself.

Just dump a cup of water into the toilet and pretend if you miss it. ;D
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2009, 10:23:56 AM »

LOL

No i still go for now.
Just wondered if you had that feeling or not.
So no 3AM urge to get up just to use the bathroom on a cold winter night.

Curiosity killed the cat

8-7-09
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2009, 11:10:08 AM »

for the first year on dialysis I could pee lots and lots and it made me not have to worry about fluid restrictions -
now I pee a little -- and I feel like I have to go -- doesn't last long ----
I miss it
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 06:31:48 PM »

my husband would occasionally have the urge to pee, especially after sex. and I know this sounds crazy but every now and then two or three or five drops of clear fluid would come out when he had the urge.  - they said it was 'condensation like' from his bladder, he had no kidneys in his body at all.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 07:13:15 PM »

The only reason people feel the urge to pee is when the bladder gets full it sends messages to the brain (the one in your head) that you have to empty your bladder.  No pressure on message.  You will feel just like you do right now if you don't have to pee.

Yes, every once in a while a few drops come out but that is just the bladder staying healthy.

RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2009, 08:55:01 PM »

For added realism, add some yellow food coloring to the cup of water before you pour it into the toilet.

For even more realism, pour the yellow water into a kid's water pistol and then spray the water pistol into the toilet.

If you're a guy, for maximum realism, sprinkle a few drops of yellow water on the floor around the toilet.
Inara

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2009, 12:08:48 AM »

If you're a guy, for maximum realism, sprinkle a few drops of yellow water on the floor around the toilet.

:rofl;

So true.....

*Primary Caregiver of Leslie, my best friend.  She's been on dialysis for 9 years.
*Dialysis Nurse for 9 years
*HUGE Sci-Fi fan!! (Yes, I'm a dork)
*Recovery from broken leg.....85% healed and that's the best it will ever be.....a slight limp is kinda sexy, huh?
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2009, 03:05:25 AM »

:rofl;

So true.....

If your a guy and don't have to pee anymore just go in the bathroom every once in awhile and put the seat up and leave. 
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2009, 04:41:06 AM »

to pee or not to pee.... that is the question.

hahahahahahahahah

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2009, 05:16:46 AM »

For added realism, add some yellow food coloring to the cup of water before you pour it into the toilet.

For even more realism, pour the yellow water into a kid's water pistol and then spray the water pistol into the toilet.

Dont forget the Fairy washing up liquid for realistic foam as well !!!

EDITED:  Fixed Quote Error - Bajanne, Moderator
« Last Edit: September 10, 2009, 07:47:59 AM by Bajanne » Logged

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Mizar

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2009, 06:47:22 AM »

Not to make Light of this Subject, but from the other end of the Spectrum -------  True Story.

My Husband ( the KP ) and I, had to make a Car Trip, from Tennessee to Michigan, this Summer. The Conversation, went like this.

ME - " Oh, Good, a Rest Stop, I'm pulling in "

Him - " What? Again? Didn't You just do that Two States, ago? "       

Bajanne
Member for Life

Goofynina and Epoman - Gone But Not Forgotten

« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2009, 07:52:09 AM »

I started dialysis in Sept 2005, and up until a few months ago, I was still urinating.  Now it is only a veru small amount thorughout the day.  I suppose it will soon be nothing at all.

"To be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own ...but that which is based on faith"

I LOVE  my IHD family! :grouphug;
Bub

« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2009, 08:02:14 AM »

I too am still urinating but my doctor told me that my kidneys are hardly filtering the blood at all and my urine is almost clean enough to drink.  My response was "Ok, but you go first".

I do produce quite a volume of urine and get up once a night (which I dont mind) but I am taking 120 - 160 mg. of generic for Lasix per day and when I ran out my output dropped dramatically.

When my kidneys first failed I went a month with no output.  No urges, didn't even really notice as I was in hospital and had catheter. But the catheter bag never had to be emptied.

I fondly remember the good old days when I got up 4 times a night!
paul.karen
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2009, 08:13:34 AM »

Im still getting up four times a night.  As well as waking up at 5AM for work.  it is killing me.  On top of that i keep looking at JuJu.  Thats my cyclers name.  To see if im in dwell or draining.  If draining i change my position to drain completely. Which keeps me up another 15/20 minutes.
I do this while taking sleeping pills.  So by noon time im half drained and ready for bed....  But still have four hours of work to go.

But i keep thinking, It could be worse.

Curiosity killed the cat

8-7-09
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2009, 10:08:37 AM »

I was prescribed Lasix as I still urinate.  On average I was .5-1.5k over my dry weight.  Just recently my neph told me to stop taking the Lasix and I did not ask why.  In the last week my urine production has dropped I think significantly and yesterday I was 3 k's over my dry weight.  Unfortunately due to a family emergency my neph won't be back for a week and a half.  Would anyone know why my neph would have stopped this medication?  Obviously I have curtailed my fluid intake to compensate until his return.  I don't want congestive heart failure.
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2009, 10:45:28 AM »

I have a ghost sensation of peeing occasionally after 15+ years of not peeing (I can't remember my last one). It feels like I need to pee - I'll just be standing there or sitting - and I'll just let go and it can feel as if I am peeing. When this would first happen I'd look down and expect my pants to have a wet spot.

Now I do it all the time. A guy I work with knows this is going on and says I sometimes have a far away look while standing still and he assumes I'm ghost peeing. I figure if anything ever did come out it'd be great no matter if it was socially inappropriate.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2009, 03:07:41 PM »

Bill, are you sure you're not having prostate problems? When it enlarges, you get that same sensation of needing to pee.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Bill Peckham
Elite Member

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2009, 08:36:04 PM »

Bill, are you sure you're not having prostate problems? When it enlarges, you get that same sensation of needing to pee.

I'll mention it next visit with the neph but I have the sensation OF peeing. It's a weird sensation of relaxing the muscles and feeling like I'm letting ot go ... of course nothing comes out but I feel like I'm peeing.

http://www.billpeckham.com  "Dialysis from the sharp end of the needle" tracking  industry news and trends - in advocacy, reimbursement, politics and the provision of dialysis
Incenter Hemodialysis: 1990 - 2001
Home Hemodialysis: 2001 - Present
NxStage System One Cycler 2007 - Present
        * 4 to 6 days a week 30 Liters (using PureFlow) @ ~250 Qb ~ 8 hour per treatment FF~28
Jess21

« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2009, 03:15:50 PM »

Not to make Light of this Subject, but from the other end of the Spectrum -------  True Story.

My Husband ( the KP ) and I, had to make a Car Trip, from Tennessee to Michigan, this Summer. The Conversation, went like this.

ME - " Oh, Good, a Rest Stop, I'm pulling in "

Him - " What? Again? Didn't You just do that Two States, ago? "       

:rofl; :rofl; Sounds like me and my boyfriend's family...before my transplant, we went on vacation to visit his family in NC, we flew back, get off the plane, and he and his parents had to use the bathroom.  I blurt out "I'll hold the stuff while you guys go in!"  His mom turns to look at me like "don't you have to go?!?!?" for a few seconds and then realized why I said it.  Now, after my transplant, she says "you use to be a good travel buddy, now you're a BAAAAAD travel buddy"  :rofl;

Hospitalized w/ renal failure- Nov. 2007
Diagnosed w/ ESRD w/ unknown cause- Jan 2008
Lower arm AV Fistula created- March 2008
On IL transplant list- Oct. 8th, 2008
On WI transplant list- June 25th, 2009
Pediatric 2 kidney transplant- July 6th, 2009 (3/6 antigen match)
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2009, 04:53:07 PM »

I'll mention it next visit with the neph but I have the sensation OF peeing. It's a weird sensation of relaxing the muscles and feeling like I'm letting ot go ... of course nothing comes out but I feel like I'm peeing.

My husband has had that exact problem before. Twice. Both times, it turned out to be a urethral stricture, where scar tissue builds up in an area of the urethra. He had never had surgery before the first occurrence. Apparently something can irritate the area, causing the tissue to form. The doctor said it could continue to happen. He's had 2 surgeries because of 2 seperate incidences in the last 10 years. They just use a balloon to unblock the stricture. Ask him about that too.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
*kana*

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009, 06:44:34 PM »

I have no kidneys but every once in a while I have an urge to pee.  I do get a sensation of something in my urethra, but like someone else said it is condensation.  This might be too much info, but right after I had my kidneys removed and tried to have a bowel movement it was very difficult.  It was like I couldn't relax my bladder or like something was stuck.     

PD started 09/08
PKD kidneys removed 06/17/09

Failed donor transplant-donor kidney removed,
suspected cancer so not used 06/17/09

Hemo 06/2009-08/2009

Liberty Cycler-11/09-5/13
Nx Stage-current tx
Diagnosed with SEP 2014
spacezombie

Melissa: ESRD since 1992, transplant June 10, 2008

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2009, 11:01:21 AM »

You just don't feel as if you have to go. It would have been convenient if not for the kidney failure thing since I hate going in public restrooms. ;)

I have Alport's Syndrome. My kidneys failed when I was 14 and I was on PD for five years before receiving a kidney transplant from my mother. That kidney failed in 2004 and I've been back on PD ever since. I am undergoing treatment for my high antibodies at Cedars-Sinai medical center. I had a kidney transplant on June 10, 2008. My boyfriend was the donor.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »