I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:34:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Off-Topic
| |-+  Political Debates - Thick Skin Required for Entry
| | |-+  Health Care around the world (Germany, Japan, Taiwan, Switzerland and Britain)
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Health Care around the world (Germany, Japan, Taiwan, Switzerland and Britain)  (Read 16106 times)
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« on: August 31, 2009, 08:09:31 AM »

Someone has already posted this link I believe but I watched this program online again this morning and found it extremely interesting.  I'd like to see Canada look for tweaks to our system too by seeing what others might be doing better than we are.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/sickaroundtheworld/

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2009, 09:26:18 AM »

A good variety of heath plans, including private non-profit insurance companies.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2009, 01:14:07 PM »

Private nonprofit insurance companies?  Can it be?

Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2009, 03:54:56 PM »

Private nonprofit insurance companies?  Can it be?

In the "good old days" Blue Cross and Blue Shield was non-profit.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2009, 09:26:52 PM »

very interesting...

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Zach
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2009, 09:33:28 PM »

very interesting...

And should be viewed by all.

8)

I make films.

Schulthess

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2012, 03:56:50 AM »

:secret; Yes Dialysis is a process of any good treatment.
Schulthess

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2012, 04:42:51 AM »

I also watched the above link.Very interesting video clips.
Schulthess

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 05:57:11 AM »

I am aware to much of Zurich health system.Very well organized system.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2012, 08:12:47 AM »

Warning....long post.

In the USA the medical system is controlled by the insurance industry. I have had the opportunity to learn this first-hand through my journey with Lyme Disease.

In March I was bitten by an infected tick and became seriously ill on April 1. My doctor prescribed 4 weeks of doxycycline. At the time I did not know what would be coming down the road for me, but I started researching Lyme, and found that this treatment was "standard" but did not cure all patients.

As soon as the 4 weeks of treatment ended, I was struck down by massive headaches. I thought these were due to a concussion form two fainting spells caused by the Lyme. At the time I did not realize that it was the infection returning with a vengeance. By May 6 I was desperate for any kind of relief from the pain. I could not even stand to hear the faint buzzing of florescent lights as even that amount of noise caused excruciating pain. I had an MRI on May 18, which showed that I had "unremarkable" results. Finally on May 23, my doctor found the right mix of serious pain medications to make life tolerable. I had to wait from the time of my MRI until June 6 to see a neurologist to discuss the results of my MRI. And that was only because I called every neurologist in two counties to find the one who could see me the earliest. By June 6, the mix of three pain meds was only marginally effective. I enjoyed about 4 hours each day free from pain.

The neurologist informed me that the pain was caused by the spirochetes from the Lyme that had invaded the meninges around my brain. She took me off the pain meds and put me on an anti-inflammatory to get at the cause of the pain (but not the cause of the inflammation). This was good until June 17. Then I started having intense pain in my knees. I went to my GP. By this time I knew enough about Lyme to know that it attacks the organs and large joints. I convinced my GP to prescribe more doxycycline. That gave me 2 more weeks of prescription. Before the end of that 2 weeks I tried going off the anti-inflammatory to see what would happen. Oh oh. Massive headache, so I knew the spirochetes were STILL doing their thing; I just couldn't feel it. So I called my neurologist who extended the doxycycline by 3 more weeks. That gave me a lovely month of July, pain free!

But August 6 the headaches returned. By August 8 they were debilitating, even though I was STILL taking the anti-inflammatory and the pain med cocktail. My neurologist put me on a stronger IV antibiotic for two weeks. Less than a week ofter completing that treatment all symptoms returned. I am now on my second round of IV antibiotic at twice the strength of the first round. I am so weak that I can barely manage to get my own meals and must rest for a while after simply walking to the bathroom! My neurologist had made plans to have me seen by the Department of Infectious Diseases at Vanderbilt Hospital if this round of treatment was not successful in eradicating the infection. She began that process because she said that it might take some time to get me in.

That was a week ago, on Friday, September 14. On Monday, her office called me to let me know that Vanderbilt would not take me. I was not surprised. Here is why:

When doctors agree to accept insurance payments they must sign a contract that states they will NOT treat patients beyond the accepted “normal” treatment for any condition. In other words, they must treat patients as part of a group that is normal. They cannot deviate from this prescribed treatment without serious consequences (being sued by the insurance industry and/or losing their licenses). So, doctors who want to treat the patient as an individual have their hands tied. If doctors deviate, they are reviewed by a board of their peers that is chosen by the insurance companies.

I am very fortunate that my neurologist increased my dose of Rocephin to 2 grams/day instead of 1 gram (as from what I can tell, 1 gram is what is allowed, but 2 -4 grams for 6 -8 weeks is the minimum needed for patients like me). I have to pay the difference in cost from the 1 gram treatment to the 2 gram treatment. It remains to be seen whether this 2 week treatment will do the trick. The symptoms came back even worse than ever after the last 2 weeks of Rocephin. I can only hope that this will work as I am still fairly “soon” in the whole Lyme journey, having caught it “only” 6 months ago. It is unlikely that this treatment will cure it, but that is all I can do at the moment.

But all is not lost. We can go to a doctor who is willing treat Lyme outside of the insurance network. Of course, that means we will have to pay out-of-pocket. The cost of the antibiotics alone runs around $4000/month. The lab test I had done was $1300 (that I had to pay since insurance will not cover out of state testing), not counting the $102 to ship it. But this is all part of the process that I have to go through to get the treatment I need.

At least now I know that I will not be able to slip through the insurance net un-noticed. That means that I can start my “new” journey sooner rather than later. And that is a good thing. 

As it is, my neurologist may get in trouble for upping the dose of IV Rocephin at my request. I hope not. She originally was going to prescribe only only 1 gram, but I argued that 2 weeks of 1 gram only killed off the weaker spirochetes and left the stronger ones to reproduce.

I watched the link that you provided, Monrien. I can only imagine the hue and cry insurance companies would put up if there were a serious movement to change the system here.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2012, 08:26:16 AM »

What I left out of the previous post is how Lyme has affected my life and the cost it has put upon the health care system:

Before April 1, I was a healthy, active adult, working full time and running two businesses. I am now home-bound, barely able to walk, at stage 3 kidney failure, signs of heart disease and possible COPD (all because of the Lyme disease that insurance doesn't want my doctors, or any doctors, to treat). I was hospitalized with chest pains last week after trying to spend a day at work. I only made it until 10:30 before collapsing and being taken to the ER.

If my business fails because I cannot be there to run it, all my employees will lose their jobs.

How's that for penny wise and pound foolish? Insurance will pay for the treatments against the kidney failure, heart disease and COPD, but not the infection that is causing them!

Aleta

Poppylicious
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2012, 11:31:05 AM »

I am now home-bound, barely able to walk, at stage 3 kidney failure, signs of heart disease and possible COPD (all because of the Lyme disease that insurance doesn't want my doctors, or any doctors, to treat). I was hospitalized with chest pains last week after trying to spend a day at work. I only made it until 10:30 before collapsing and being taken to the ER.
Gosh Aleta, I had no idea about some of the medical issues you're having because of some stupid tiny blood-sucking tick (coupled with ridiculous insurance woes).  Sending you oodles of *huggles*. 

- wife of kidney recepient (10/2011) -
venting myself online since 2003 (personal blog)
grumbles of a dialysis wife-y (kidney blog)
sometimes i take pictures (me, on flickr)

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt.
willowtreewren
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2012, 11:57:01 AM »

I am now home-bound, barely able to walk, at stage 3 kidney failure, signs of heart disease and possible COPD (all because of the Lyme disease that insurance doesn't want my doctors, or any doctors, to treat). I was hospitalized with chest pains last week after trying to spend a day at work. I only made it until 10:30 before collapsing and being taken to the ER.
Gosh Aleta, I had no idea about some of the medical issues you're having because of some stupid tiny blood-sucking tick (coupled with ridiculous insurance woes).  Sending you oodles of *huggles*.

*huggles* gladly accepted.  :cuddle;

It has been a long hard journey, but I will persevere! This is what I'll do to the Lyme:  :Kit n Stik;

Aleta

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »