I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 10:27:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  fistula veins and arteries.....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: fistula veins and arteries.....  (Read 4848 times)
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« on: August 28, 2009, 05:41:29 PM »

Ok    I have got a question......   I had my fistula looked at by the surgeon  and he said that it is ready to go after 6 weeks.....  so I guess I can use it now...   I ask him  how will someone know where to stick both the needles.....    he said that they will   and they will probably stick them here ( pointing to a area ) and then stick the there ( to another area...)   these areas are with in a inch or maybe  a inch in a half of each other....  its that too close to gether..... also... He said that we only stick the vein.... never the artery.... So both needles will go in to the vein.....   I thought that we stick the artery and a vein... so that we can get arterial pressure amounts and venous pressure amounts....    I guess I don't get it.....  Do we only stick veins.....    and how far apart should they be..... 

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2009, 05:59:42 PM »

sorry   wrong  place  to post

Moved to correct topic
Rerun - Guest Moderator
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 06:19:46 PM by Rerun » Logged

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

- John Muir
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 06:22:29 PM »

The whole thing you see is a vein.  A fistula is when they connect an artery to a vein.  That way the forceful artery blood goes into the vein and makes it expand creating an access for you to dialyze with needles.  You will be amazed how they fit 2 needles in and how they find a new spot everyother day.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 12:28:29 PM by Rerun » Logged

Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 06:39:56 PM »

i sometimes  have  my  needles  kissing,  there  that  close(1 up 1down),never  had  a  problem thus,  i  find  it  good  so  when  you  hold  you sites  you  have  some  wiggle  room  if  you  fingers  get  tired  or  cramp

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 07:57:29 PM »

So   when a person is talking about  sticking their venous   and how sometimes their venous is hard to  stick.....   what makes it a venous and why would it be harder to stick..??     

is it called a venous because that is where the blood comes back.....  and the arterial still the same  vein but it where the blood comes out....???

Sorry about the really dum question .... I just had a completely different picture in my head.....

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

- John Muir

- John Muir
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2009, 06:53:32 AM »

There are no dumb questions!

The arterial stick is the one that has the blood coming FROM the body into the machine and the venous stick has the blood coming FROM the machine into the body. The arterial stick is lower on the fistula and the venous is higher.

I hope that helps.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2009, 07:05:51 AM »

So why is the highest one on the arm (venous?) the hardest for them to stick and the most painful?  And why does it sometimes have a burning sensation during the dialysis?  And why won't they let me press on it to relieve the buring?  And why  does it go in too far sometimes and you can feel the stick (on the other side I think)? 

And the surgeon made them a picture of it with depths, etc. so why didn't they look at the picture?

Well, at least mine is working now -- a full week now and it hurts a little less each day.  Maybe I am becoming a "Man" about this?

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
silverhead

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 10:05:17 AM »

If you reversed then Venous and Arterial lines you could get a loop of  the returned blood being pulled back into the machine endlessly.  Venous blood is going back to the heart for recirculation so you want it closer to the heart.....

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2009, 11:19:26 PM »

Thx  guys...... sometimes it is   just that easy.......     Sometimes I can make things harder than they need to be.....   too much time on my hands..... :thx;

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

- John Muir

- John Muir
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2009, 12:02:25 PM »

So why is the highest one on the arm (venous?) the hardest for them to stick and the most painful?  And why does it sometimes have a burning sensation during the dialysis?  And why won't they let me press on it to relieve the buring?  And why  does it go in too far sometimes and you can feel the stick (on the other side I think)? 

And the surgeon made them a picture of it with depths, etc. so why didn't they look at the picture?

Well, at least mine is working now -- a full week now and it hurts a little less each day.  Maybe I am becoming a "Man" about this?

The venous is often deeper, sometimes way deeper, than the arterial because the vein that becomes the fistula (once they hook the artery into it during fistula surgery) is closer to the surface in certain spots and deeper in others.  This is especially true for an upper arm fistula.  A picture of the depths is useful but sticking still requires some experience with the feel of the vein and the gauging of the depth by feel.  That's why it takes skill to become a good sticker and why you need someone with excellent skills to teach a patient or a new tech how to develop this skill to insert needles.  If a fistula is too too deep then surgery can be done to raise the thing closer to the surface.   Pain depends on nerve endings and the deeper a needle must go the more chance of running into nerve endings.  Over time, pain can lessen as scar tissue has less sensation than fresh flesh.  I think the burning is the nerve ending saying "hey bud, what's with all this abuse and assault?"  Enflamed nerves can feel like burning.  When or if you rub the area, there's a needle in there and you run the risk of sending the point through the fistula wall which will "blow" or infiltrate the vein, sending blood into the surrounding tissue (big bruising).

I don't understand what you mean by "go in too far sometimes and feel the stick on the other side".  If you stick the needle in too far, meaning you go into the vein and then out the other side, well that's just a bad stick and your vein is "blown".  In the beginning the fistula is tender and can blow quite easily but it toughens up as it gains experience...much like us people.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2009, 01:29:53 PM »

Thx  Monrein...... you always have a nice way of describing things.....   The surgeon did not give me any idea how deep or anything,,, he just took a look and did some feel and said its good to go....... I ask him where he thought someone should stick me first...... he said  into the vein .....   and smiled..... he said do worry they know what they are doing......   and he left...... so I am hoping when its my turn for my first stick.... I will have someone who is good and not just saying they are good......
       thx again

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

- John Muir

- John Muir
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »