I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 03, 2024, 02:17:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I feel like giving up
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I feel like giving up  (Read 7520 times)
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2009, 02:30:13 AM »

Billybags  ..sound like your husband and myself are twins  :rofl; We seem to be at the same stage! but i havent managed a walk to the shops ! I slept well last night for the first time in ages , although for some reason i did wake at 4am with a blinding headache , but a cup of tea and 2 tablets put it right and i went back to bed for a while longer ! Now all i have to do is get the other unit to carry on pulling fluid off, this is the next step !

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
Des
Elite Member

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2009, 02:33:46 AM »

KS

I cannot tell you how relieved I am that you are feeling better. I was really worried about you there.

Keep on top of it and I hope you feel even better.

Hugs

Please note: I am no expert. Advise given is not medical advise but from my own experience or research. Or just a feeling...

South Africa
PKD
Jan 2010 Nephrectomy (left kidney)
Jan 2010 Fistula
Started April 2010 Hemo Dialysis(hate every second of it)
Nov 2012 Placed on disalibity (loving it)
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2009, 03:22:48 AM »

KS are you restricting your fluid intake? You know on hemo you should (well it's the recomendation) to keep fluid gains between sessions to around 2kg. I know with PD that's not really an issue, but with hemo it's very important to try to keep your fluid intake low - specially with the extra fluid you're carrying you should probably try extra hard so that when they do take off that 3L(or whatever) that they aren't just taking off "new" fluid gain but also some of the rest that you're carrying.

I hope they can get it off and get you to a stable dry weight and work from there. I think once you stabalise things will be much easier for you. Maybe ask them to do a BVM on you - it will show how "wet" you are.... they also have these special scales that can somehow determine the body water percentage, which also gives an idea how wet you are.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2009, 05:16:46 AM »

Hi Richardmel   dont talk to me about fluid restrictions , :stressed; my gawd they would have me drinking nothing if they could ! Yeah since i started hemo ive cut back even more  , i was always carefull on pd as well though. Funnily the nurse yesterday mentioned BVM  but its still all new to me. I gather it should be between 85-95 ? In actual fact disregarding the excess fluid left on me from the change to hemo i havent actually put on anything near 2kg , so once they pull off the excess i should do ok , if im not gaining near 2kg between sessions

OH NO!!! I have Furniture Disease as well ! My chest has dropped into my drawers !
sico

wheres my bike gone?

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2009, 05:27:30 AM »

Hope you're feeling better KICKSTART! One of the worst experiences i've had was being overloaded to the point that sleep is impossible, really was hell.

Brad      "Got myself a one way ticket, going the wrong way" - Bon Scott

6/11/08 diagnosed with ESRF, dialysis that day

HD and PD

8th of April 2010 Live kidney transplant from my father.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2009, 07:13:08 AM »

yep KS a BVM should be done. Blood Volume Monitoring(I think that's what it means) and yep if you refill to around 90 you're apparently just right. much over 90 and you're too wet and much under and you're too dry. That's what they've told me anyway. I like watching it when they set it up. Specially with my profile you can see it pull out when the UFR(rate of pulling fluid) is high, then it goes back up when the UFR is low.

I know the fluid restrictions are the hardest thing for me - it will take time for you to get used to.  :cuddle;

27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

KICKSTART
Elite Member

In da House.

« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2009, 08:02:19 AM »

RichardMel   :beer1;  have one on me !

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2009, 08:39:31 AM »

Sure KS.. just don't mention the name FREDDY to me!!!!  :rofl;

hurlock1

THIS MEMBER IS BANNED FROM IHD

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2009, 04:23:25 PM »

Kickstart,
It always seem like you're giving up or something. I know that you have something to be glad about! I think that maybe ending the PD and having to go back on hemo might be a good thing. Don't worry, Be Happy!
jmz
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2009, 04:37:28 PM »

Read some of her other threads -  she had a good day and posted about it.   :2thumbsup;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
jpearce

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2009, 05:21:07 PM »

In regards to the BPV, mine will drop to 65 - 70% within the first hour of dialysis, The "good nurses" know that's just my body type, it's really about getting to know your body, it will tell you what works best for it. I have 4 - 4.5 Lts taken off in 4 hours. MWF.

diagnosed lupus - June 2007
Lupus nephritis resulting in dialysis- Jan 2008
On the waiting list for transplant May 2009
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2009, 08:49:02 PM »

In regards to the BPV, mine will drop to 65 - 70% within the first hour of dialysis, The "good nurses" know that's just my body type, it's really about getting to know your body, it will tell you what works best for it. I have 4 - 4.5 Lts taken off in 4 hours. MWF.

You're right. Everyone's body can tolerate different levels of fluid removal. I usually go into meltdown at over 3L, so I never get close to that anymore. Yesterday I only had 2.1 to take off and I had a horrible time.. so sometimes your body just won't co-operate no matter what you do. Of course we dropped my target to 1.9, AND added 200ml of saline (so the equivalent of a target of 1.7I(when I was 1.6 over when I came in). I had a drink and food(as per usual) and so the washback was the usual 0.5. I came off just 0.1 over. Go figure (of course I wound up sweating horribly for 2 hours during the session which was most blah).

Anyway the point is that your body DOES tell you, and different people can tolerate different amounts of fluid draw.

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »