I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 01, 2024, 06:39:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Did anyone else have this surgery?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Did anyone else have this surgery?  (Read 5049 times)
Brianna!

I met adam lambert for my make a wish!

« on: August 22, 2009, 10:11:26 PM »

My fistula was too deep, so they had to move it. I have this HUGE scar from my elbow to my underarm on my right arm. My scar itches so much, and it's really thick towards my elbow. It looks so gross. But the one good thing is that the scar is facing my body, so I can hide it alot. And the other good thing, is that it allowed my fistula to be used!!! I had the surgery a while ago, and my arm was so sore for the longest time!!

I just want to know if anyone had this surgery done. I'm sorry I don't know what it's called!! My arm looks so gross, and i'm sick of all these scars. =[ I wouldn't mind them if I was older, but i'm only 16. Sorry, i'm getting a little off topic!

-Brianna
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2009, 10:25:46 PM »

Do you have a lower arm fistula or upper arm fistula......  And  why did they have to move it....I realize it was too deep.......  but wouldnt you just use a longer needle........  I just had my fistula put in 5 weeks ago... thats why I am asking......

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
Brianna!

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2009, 10:29:16 PM »

I have an upper arm fistula. hmm. I don't know why they had to move it. They just said it was too deep and they needed to move it up. Like I could only feel the buzz when my arm folds, by my elbow, and when they moved it, i could feel it right away like in the middle of my arm.
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 10:43:07 PM »

Ok      hey   really great pic of you and lambert.........    I bet that was real fun....lucky you....

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

- John Muir
Brianna!

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 10:44:39 PM »

haha. thanks. I had sooo much fun. and I met scott, and he was on dialysis for ten months. he hugged me for the longest time and we both almost started to cry. it was so much fun. and adam was super nice. =D
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 11:06:29 PM »

This topic has been discussed on the boards before, but can't remember the procedure. I didn't have it done, but know what you mean by the itchyness. I have a graft in my upper arm and have to have a prescription cream for it to stop..
Anyway from what I remember from reading, most of the people who had that type of surgery had it done on their lower arm/wrist area..

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
Pam

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2009, 08:36:19 AM »

I think the surgery is called repositioning. I had my fistula placed in Dec and the other surgery done in Feb. Started dialysis in May. I have an upper arm fistula. I had 3 incisions. For about 3 months the scars were ugly and the bruising was terrible. I've been doing button holes for a month now and the bruising is gone and the scars have faded so you really have to look to see them. some days my arm itches to no end but sometimes i think it is the tape. They use paper tape but that stuff sticks to me like super glue. Hopefully it will get better for you.

Pam
cookie2008

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2009, 08:43:22 AM »

I had mine raised in May and my scar is ugly but my fistula works, mine is in my upper left arm and you can see the scar. It was the best surgery I had out of all of them. :cheer:

Started PD in 11/07
Started Hemo in 7/08
Started NxStage 5/09
tyefly
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2009, 08:59:38 AM »

This sounds like a common surgery..... and it sounds like this can be done either after you start dialysis or before......    I am wondering if I will have to have this done.......  I was told by a nurse in the hospital that this procedure was a two step  and that I would have to come back to have the fistula raised... I didn't have a clue what she was talking about.......  Now I do.... funny the surgeon didn't say  anything about the possibility of a second surgery.......  but all information is not always given.......

CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

- John Muir

- John Muir
Manxcats

Old fashioned dinosaur type, all eyes and arms!!

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »

I had surgery on my left arm about 1inch from wrist just back from thumb, 10 days or so ago, i was told that they start at wrist and work up arm when it needs replacing! I was given a rubber ball to squeeze and told to use an arm clamp (one used for taking bloods), and use it daily to help pump up the fistula to help access after about 10 days (ie now). I have to say that i have some good surface veins which helps. I am due back for a US examination in 10 days presumably to check out the operation, but heard nothing about another procedure but then i am in the UK and we may have different methods.

Life is always better when you have tried it, well most of the time...!  e.& oe.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2009, 04:09:41 PM »

Repositioning is not always done, only if necessary to use your access properly. My fistula is in the same position as yours Manxcat on my left arm and I didn't need a repositioning. After the fistula clotted off as I was told, I had a graft put in my upper left arm.

Tyfly, have you had follow up visits with the surgeon to check on progress post surgery. He/She should say something then. If you have an upcomming appointment, just ask about it.

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Brianna!

« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 09:11:50 PM »

I think now it's becoming common procedure to reposition it. When I was getting ready for the surgery, the surgon said "oh, so you're doing the second part?" My nurse said that I can show the other new kids my scar, so they'll know what it will look like.  So, how long does it take for this scar to fade at least a little bit? I mean it's still so gross looking, I just want it to fade! It hasn't been that long though; it's been about 2-3 months.

pam: I didn't have any bruising after the surgery. And I just have one long scar and this little tiny one like in the middle of my arm.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 09:21:56 PM »

If this is becoming or is common, then it is piss poor planning then. Puts more strain and risk to the patient and adds cost that insurancewill gripe about, which means they will try to pass the buck at times on to the person.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Brianna!

« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 09:26:31 PM »

If this is becoming or is common, then it is piss poor planning then. Puts more strain and risk to the patient and adds cost that insurancewill gripe about, which means they will try to pass the buck at times on to the person.

exactly. why have more surgeries done than need be? It's really stupid. I don't want more scars than I need to have. Just get it all done in one surgery. How hard is that, really?
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 08:49:00 PM »

I'm supposed to get the "second part" done in October.  Not looking forward to it.  My left upper arm is being used now but won't last long so the started one in the right upper arm. 

Yes, my left arm looks like they let Jack The Ripper have at it.  Scar from my elbow to my arm pit.  I hate to reach for something because my arm stretches and it kind of hurts.

16 is way too young for this.  I hope you have a good support system.  Of course you have us!!

Brianna!

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2009, 08:56:04 PM »

I'm supposed to get the "second part" done in October.  Not looking forward to it.  My left upper arm is being used now but won't last long so the started one in the right upper arm. 

Yes, my left arm looks like they let Jack The Ripper have at it.  Scar from my elbow to my arm pit.  I hate to reach for something because my arm stretches and it kind of hurts.

16 is way too young for this.  I hope you have a good support system.  Of course you have us!!

Thank you.  :) I hate reaching for stuff too. The scar by my elbow is really thick and icky looking, and the skin is all pulled and tight, and it just hurts all around. But i'm acutally okay now wearing short sleaves. When I had school in june, I had to have my bandage on to cover it. I really didn't want anyone to see it. My scar looks okay towards the top of my arm, it's just the thick part by my elbow.

And you know what makes it worse? My grandma keeps showing everyone my scar! I mean, it's embarassing. The whole room goes quiet, and it makes me feel like crying.  :'( And it makes me mad. She doesn't understand that I don't want the world to see my arm!

I have a ok support system. My dad died a couple of months before I started dialysis (I started in december of last year, and he died in august) but my aunts and grandparents are really supportive. My friends. Not so much. But i'm fine with that. They're just like 'Oh I feel so bad for you.' I really hate pity. Like so much.

I'm getting off topic again!!

Good luck on your surgery in October though!! At least you'll know what it will feel liket this time.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2009, 09:28:49 PM »

Ask your friends if they want to see Grandma's boobs!  They are really neat and hang below her knees.
You are probably too young to think that is funny. But Grandma would understand!

:rofl;

Brianna!

« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2009, 09:38:48 PM »

Ask your friends if they want to see Grandma's boobs!  They are really neat and hang below her knees.
You are probably too young to think that is funny. But Grandma would understand!

:rofl;

actually, she just had a boob job! It was to fix a boob job she had a while ago, it started to leak and hang down really low!! :rofl; :rofl;

So they don't hang anymore!!!!

hahaha. that just made my day!  :yahoo;

« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 10:45:03 PM by Brianna! » Logged
Brianna!

« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 10:57:55 PM »

I thought I would show you guys my scar! haha. so then you'll know what i'm talking about!

Yes. My arm looks gross. =| And it looks flabby!  :rofl;
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 11:20:47 PM »

That almost looks like how my graft is in my arm, except mine is less red and hard to capture on film by myself.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

Brianna!

« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 11:24:15 PM »

I had that surgery about 2-3 months ago? Before school got out in june. I think it was late May? So it hasn't faded much. How long did it take for your (those that had it done) scars to fade a little bit at least? I would have thought it would have faded a little bit! My first fistula scar from like last year is still as bright as ever!
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 11:31:48 PM »

Mine have varied on each part of the body due to when they were done pre transplant and post transplant due to glucose control.. Most took over a year for me, but transplant scar took a little less.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

JScott1753

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2009, 03:40:20 PM »

From the descriptions, I believe this is the surgery I was going to have a couple of months ago, before the problem with my platelets flared up again, and they put in the catheter.
  It's called superficialization, and I was going to have it done because my 2-1/2 inch long fistula had started to have low flows.
  The vein is moved from its normal position on the bottom of the arm to its new place on top of the biceps muscle in order to establish an easier way to access the access   :waiting;.
  It is rather complicated; they do the large incision(elbow to armpit) because the vein is (according to my surgeon) disconnected up by the armpit and a "tunnel"is made under the skin, similar to a tunneled catheter, through which the vein is threaded up to on top of the biceps. Then it's reconnected up at the armpit. They have to be able to get to the entire vein. It's not just a simple anastomosis like in a fistula. I understand it's usually done in two steps, though a person can have it done all at once. Recovery is like a fistula.
  I ended up not having mine, and my new graft is working fantastically!
  Sound about right?
  Jon
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2009, 08:14:01 PM »

JScott, that makes a graft sound a whole lot better by that description. 2 small incisions (1 in the elbow area and 1 in the armpit) compared to the whole are you described. Now I wish I could see that on video.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

funnygarcia

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2009, 02:16:46 PM »

My husband's original fistula (left forearm) failed a few weeks ago, had it since 1996.
There was concern that his veins are basically shot in the lower arm, he also has been having some altered sensations in two fingers causing more concern that another fistula might cause more damage.

The vascular surgeon dug deep and used the brachial artery, incision runs from arm pit to elbow. Frankenstein creepy looking incision at this point, my dh is a middle school science teacher.. he's eager to show it to his students this fall and watch the reactions.  :rofl;
His fistula is happily buzzing on top of his bicep, no two part surgery needed.
He has an odd nerve response, he washed his armpit and could feel the nerve further up the arm, like something wiggling under his skin.. ewwwwww!

The surgeon ligated the old fistula, which now we wonder if he ligated (tied off) the artery, where is the blood going?  ??? There are days when his lower arm is very painful, the left hand is swelled twice as big as his right and the old fistula site feels hard. Not what we expected and worrisome that maybe blood is pooling in the arm? The upper arm no longer hurts (one week after surgery) but the lower arm -- YOUCH!
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »