I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:53:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Nocturnal
| | |-+  reduced anemia with nocturnal dialysis????
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: reduced anemia with nocturnal dialysis????  (Read 6500 times)
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« on: July 28, 2009, 08:47:27 PM »

I have been researching anemia managment with CKD and ran into several written docs describing that people who do nocturnal dialysis do not need or have a reduced need for EPO.. which I guess would mean that your anemia is much better because of the nocturnal dialysis..... Is this correct....  Has this happened with any of you ......  I was trying to find more information on the subject....  I thought that our kidneys did not produce enough of the hormone because of CDK and that is why we needed the EPO shot so that we have that added hormone... to help with our Hemoglobin/HCT.....  I am puzzled as to why a person would not need the EPO just because of the nocturnal.....   

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2009, 09:57:00 PM »

I still get epo, but not as much now. My hematocrit is in the 12s pretty regularly. I think because you are run slower, the body has time to adjust to the blood being cleaned better than the four hour fast treatments.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Hemodoc
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2009, 11:49:51 PM »

There is compelling evidence that the anemia of renal disease has more than one factor. Lack of EPO is assumed to be the entire cause, but improved iron stores improves anemia as well as improved clearances reduces the affect of anemia of chronic disease.  I am fortunate to not need EPO as of yet and hopefully for a while to go since there are many potential adverse side affects of EPO.

In addition, before we had EPO, there was a handful of studies showing that exercise can improve anemia and reduce the need for transfusions in renal patients.

Anemia thus in renal patients has many factors.  When you minimize each one including by optimal dialysis, EPO requirements diminish in many people.

Peter Laird, MD
www.hemodoc.info
Diagnosed with IgA nephropathy 1998
Incenter Dialysis starting 2-1-2007
Self Care in Center from 4-15-2008 to 6-2-2009
Started  Home Care with NxStage 6-2-2009 (Qb 370, FF 45%, 40L)

All clinical and treatment related issues discussed on this forum are for informational purposes only.  You must always secure your own medical teams approval for all treatment options before applying any discussions on this site to your own circumstances.
tyefly
Elite Member

This will be me...... Next spring.... I earned it.

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2009, 08:44:31 PM »

My doctor wants to start me on EPO shots....guess they have a pharmacy program that maintains and oversees all of this..... I dont not take iron or any other supplements... but I have been rather tired for a few months now.....   maybe I do need more exercise....  I already walk my Sib Huskies on the beach daily...  I will try to increase that time...maybe get the bikes out.....   I am concern about my labs at times as I do see a trend in some areas which are now out of the normal ranges....  I have never been like that before either.....  Sometimes I just cant believe it.....  Its just the acceptance part....and then deal with it and make the best of it.....  I am not even on dailysis yet  and I still have that to adapt to .... 

IgA Nephropathy   April 2009
CKD    May 2009
AV Fistula  June 2009
In-Center Dialysis   Sept 2009
Nxstage    Feb 2010
Extended Nxstage March 2011

Transplant Sept 2, 2011

Hello from the Oregon Coast.....

I am learning to live close to the lives of my friends without ever seeing them. No miles of any measurement can separate your soul from mine.
- John Muir

The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness.
- John Muir
mogee

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2010, 10:15:40 PM »

After my first year on nocturnal home hemo I stopped taking epo.  My hemoglobin is now around 160 (normal range: 120-150).  My nephrologist would like to see a lower hemoglobin since high hemoglobin is a risk factor for clotting.  In part, the anemia associated with kidney disease is caused by chronic uremia.  In my case, once the uremia was resolved so was my anemia.

PKD and IgA Glomerularnephritis
Nocturnal Home Hemo since 2004
Deceased Donor Transplant November 6, 2012
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 10:13:31 AM »

The life cycle of red blood cells is part of the issue as well.
Normally, red blood cells can live between 110-120 days.

For those on standard dialysis, the red blood cells may live only 20-40 days.

Optimal hemodialysis, such as nocturnal, removes more toxins from the blood (and tissues) so the result may help increase the life span of red blood cells.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
Dan.Larrabee

Dialysis Dan

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 10:10:57 PM »

All interesting stuff, wonder if mine will change.

I have been on nocturnal for more than a year and still take the same dose.

AKA Dialysis Dan
Feeling the best I can because of Home Hemo
Doing it the best way I can by making it Nocturnal
Sharing it to help everyone feel they best they can
www.youtube.com/dialysisdan
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 06:41:11 PM »

Hubby has been on dialysis for 13 years and hasn't taken epo since he started hemo 10 years ago. He did need it pre dialysis and when he was on PD.  He does take venefor twice a month

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »