I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 02, 2024, 11:22:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  catheter removal
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: catheter removal  (Read 7108 times)
glitter
Elite Member

« on: October 02, 2006, 01:23:07 PM »

My husband has had the Dr who is removing his catheter cancel several times now-the outer stitch is already broken-what could happen if he just pulls it out? He has threatened to do it himself at dialysis wed. coming.

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
LT514

« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2006, 08:19:07 PM »

That wouldn't be a good idea. Have your husband talk to the doctor about why it is not being removed. Is his access working? They may want to keep the catheter in a few days so they can run through the fistula/graft. I am guessing the catheter is in his chest, in the sub-clavial artery. If he pulled it out, there is a high likelihood that an infection would happen. This artery is also close to your heart, and that may become infected. Not good in any situation.

Leslie Taylor
1989 - Diagnosed with ESRD/CKD; began PD
1991 - Transplant from my mom
3/2000 - Transplant rejection, began in-center hemo
8/2000 - Deceased donor transplant #2
11/2003 - Rejection
07/2005: Deceased donor transplant #3 - R.I.P Steven Ecklid
04/2007: Graduated with an MSW
10/2007: Began working as dialysis social worker

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent - Eleanor Roosevelt

I will get by, I will survive - Grateful Dead
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2006, 04:51:51 PM »

I know it is not a good idea,the thing is- its ready to come out-the kidney center and the neph. says okay fistula is fine-but the Dr who put in the fistula is supposed to remove the cath and you must wait 4 to 6 weeks for appointment-
believe me I would not pull one out of me,but I am taking care of a very big,bullheaded guy-who was never sick a day in his life-until now-never had to even know any of this stuff-dialysis and diets,his frustration level is way up there. And someone told him he wouldn't bleed to death...lol I know it isn't funny,but it is like dealing with a kid sometimes

I will miss him- FOREVER

RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
Animal

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2006, 12:01:49 PM »

My appointment is Oct. 11-I can wait that long..... :angel;
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 01:16:17 AM »

Ya I just had mine out. It didn't come out as easy as i thought. Please wait for the appointment ;)

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
Panda_9

« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2006, 01:23:19 AM »

Tell him to stop being stupid and wait. If he takes it out himself well thats his problem. He could not only cause infection, but he could bleed. Its not just a simple matter of yanking it out. It needs to be done by someone who knows what they are doing.
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2006, 06:11:28 AM »

Especially since it is so close to the heart!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2006, 08:02:24 PM »

I did ,actually tell him not to pull it out-but in any case he had it out today and in the process saw how involved it was and realized his foolishness.
   However,in his defense,when the stitch broke-the dialysis nurse said he had to keep a tagederm bandage on it,and she indicated it could fall out.Not one time did they explain how far into his body it was-or that it had that little cuff that your skin grows to.The staff he is dealing with doesn't want to give much information,and we are just learning the right things to ask.And even when we ask,we don't always get a straight answer.

I will miss him- FOREVER

RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2006, 02:52:05 AM »

I did ,actually tell him not to pull it out-but in any case he had it out today and in the process saw how involved it was and realized his foolishness.
   However,in his defense,when the stitch broke-the dialysis nurse said he had to keep a tagederm bandage on it,and she indicated it could fall out.Not one time did they explain how far into his body it was-or that it had that little cuff that your skin grows to.The staff he is dealing with doesn't want to give much information,and we are just learning the right things to ask.And even when we ask,we don't always get a straight answer.
The problem with staff at times is they don't realize how little you know. So they don't know to tell you. This is why it is best to research everything on your own and ask questions here and to the docs ;)

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
billable

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2006, 06:03:56 AM »

Usually it isn't that the staff is trying to keep things from you.  They don't know themselves.  But that is OK.  Why should they know the details of how a double lumen catheter is inserted or how the cuff is designed?  They are trained on how to hook up to it and to practice safe techniques to prevent infection.  Just because someone is very good at driving a car, doesn't mean they need to know how to rebuild an engine.  Same here.  You, however, have this contraption hanging out of your body and need to educate yourself on every aspect of it that you can, which is what you are doing by asking questions here.  God job.

The good news is that we are no longer dependent on our doctors and nurses for all of our information regarding our health.   For example, this is the information on the catheter that my wife has.  http://www.arrowintl.com/pdf/literature/canii-c0406.pdf.  The internet has helped level the playing field as far as access to information access.  There are many times that we will have much more information than the nurse we are dealing with and quite often, maybe even more than the doctor.  That doesn't mean they aren't good at what they do.  They do this to make a living.  You do this to live.  Your motivation is more than theirs.

www.caregivertalk.org
Online Support Group
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 11:02:07 AM »

Usually it isn't that the staff is trying to keep things from you.  They don't know themselves.  But that is OK.  Why should they know the details of how a double lumen catheter is inserted or how the cuff is designed?  They are trained on how to hook up to it and to practice safe techniques to prevent infection.  Just because someone is very good at driving a car, doesn't mean they need to know how to rebuild an engine.  Same here.  You, however, have this contraption hanging out of your body and need to educate yourself on every aspect of it that you can, which is what you are doing by asking questions here.  God job.

The good news is that we are no longer dependent on our doctors and nurses for all of our information regarding our health.   For example, this is the information on the catheter that my wife has.  http://www.arrowintl.com/pdf/literature/canii-c0406.pdf.  The internet has helped level the playing field as far as access to information access.  There are many times that we will have much more information than the nurse we are dealing with and quite often, maybe even more than the doctor.  That doesn't mean they aren't good at what they do.  They do this to make a living.  You do this to live.  Your motivation is more than theirs.

WOW that is a GREAT post!

(that link is what is the best part!  :2thumbsup;)

That catheter looks so much nicer than the one they used for me :) Nice!

I didn't know it went THAT far into the heart!! I was told it was like on top or something ..

I see that pic from the pdf is 2.2cc while mine was 2.0cc.  Why are they all different?

Also it says that the one  you displayed can flow at 400cc/min while mine was much slower.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2006, 11:08:53 AM by angieskidney » Logged

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
billable

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2006, 11:58:56 AM »

Denise's catheter is 2.4 and 2.6.  The length of the catheter determines the volume.  I think it is .3cc per cm. or something like that.  It is posted somewhere on their website.  I don't remember where.  Also, did you see the video of the catheter insertion?  It requires registration, but then you can see an actual procedure of how it was inserted.

www.caregivertalk.org
Online Support Group
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2006, 02:06:50 PM »

Denise's catheter is 2.4 and 2.6.  The length of the catheter determines the volume.  I think it is .3cc per cm. or something like that.  It is posted somewhere on their website.  I don't remember where.  Also, did you see the video of the catheter insertion?  It requires registration, but then you can see an actual procedure of how it was inserted.
What is the link? All you posted was a link to the pdf file. Is it free to register? It would be interesting to view. Also it looks like in the pic that one is 2.2 and the other is 2.4cc.  And you said Denise's was 2.4 and 2.6. Both my ends were 2.0. Is it common to have 2 different ones?

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
billable

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2006, 04:43:48 PM »

What is the link? All you posted was a link to the pdf file. Is it free to register? It would be interesting to view. Also it looks like in the pic that one is 2.2 and the other is 2.4cc.  And you said Denise's was 2.4 and 2.6. Both my ends were 2.0. Is it common to have 2 different ones?
Ok, the link is http://www.arrowintl.com/products/critical_care/videos/ASP-CD/default.asp

www.caregivertalk.org
Online Support Group
billable

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2006, 04:47:06 PM »

I'm not sure about yours.  Arrow makes a double lumen catheter.  In other words, it is one tube that is divided into two sections.  The outlets are not together so you aren't sucking back in blood that has already been dialyzed.  You may have a Tesio catheter that actually is 2 separate tubes, I'm not sure.

www.caregivertalk.org
Online Support Group
billable

« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2006, 04:51:00 PM »

Oops.  Sorry, I forgot you posted that pic.  Here is the webpage of the brand you have.

http://www.cfdrc.com/serv_prod/biomed_dev/catheter.html

www.caregivertalk.org
Online Support Group
angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2006, 11:01:42 AM »

Oops.  Sorry, I forgot you posted that pic.  Here is the webpage of the brand you have.

http://www.cfdrc.com/serv_prod/biomed_dev/catheter.html
That is really cool info. Thanks!  :thx;

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2006, 08:27:42 PM »

Ya I just had mine out. It didn't come out as easy as i thought. Please wait for the appointment ;)

What happened and did they put you out ??

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2006, 02:23:22 AM »

What happened and did they put you out ??
Ah NOW I see this thread after I just made the other thread! lol

No they didn't put me out.

I just made a thread about it here: http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?topic=1682.0

diagnosed ESRD 1982
Transplant 4/11/90
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »