I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 05, 2024, 06:24:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Dentist Visit
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dentist Visit  (Read 7548 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« on: September 28, 2006, 05:42:15 PM »

Girded up my loins today and in pain, so I took a trip to the local dentist.  The office is across the street from my school so easy trips to go. No excuses anymore.  They will come drag me across the street to make to appointment, (not really......I hope.) 
I have periodontal disease and need a really good teeth cleaning under the gums.  What fun.  Four wisdom teeth are coming out.

They are going to give me nitrus oxide (laughing gas) for these procedures.  Anyone know anything about possible reactions to this type of gas?  What about precautions I should take before I go in? I am scheduled for the tenth of October for the first extractions, then later for the others.  With insurance it will be out of pocket 800 bucks.  Good Lord!  Oh well!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2006, 07:07:20 PM »

I am looking forward to similar things (just need to schedule the appointment) so I feel your pain!  Wishing you good luck and good drugs. 

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2006, 08:12:08 PM »

I told dentist I did not want to feel the extraction and I was a dental coward.  So make it really easy on me, please! He says on a 1-10 scale the extraction is a point five to a one in doing it.  Yeah, like to him. He is doing it, I am having it done to ME.  *Cowering on corner of dental chair*  One thing they did right was they never left me alone in the dental chair.  Someone was always there with me.  If they leave me alone I will walk out on them.  Now Kevno and I can get together about our phobias.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2006, 09:10:00 PM »

Due to our lower immune system, I believe your nephrologist would prescribe amoxicillin or something similar.  And it is taken usually one hour before the dentist begins.  Your doctor should determine the dose, and whether you should take it after the dental work as well.

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2006, 09:25:41 PM »

I have the prescription sitting the car to go to Walgreens next week. I am currently on amoxicillin for tooth infections. Thanks for the advice.

lifenotonthelist.com

anja

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2006, 10:21:18 PM »

kitkatz, so sorry you have to go through this, but rest assured the nitrous oxide will be great!  I experienced no cares whatsoever, except...I thought that I could count the dentist's nose hairs-and proceeded to do so- hummm what a " gas"!!!
livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2006, 10:06:56 AM »

I'm not a big fan of anesthetic in dental offices because it isn't well controlled and they don't have facilities to revive a patient if something happens.  A number of people have emerged either dead or with brain damage from dental anesthesia.  A dentist in Chicago killed a 5 year old girl last week.  Novocaine is fine but laughing gas and intravenous anesthetics are extremely dangerous in the hands of a dentist.  Go with the local Novocaine and you'll be fine.  Don't accept any additional sedation or anything intravenous from a dentist.
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2006, 10:29:47 AM »

I'm not a big fan of anesthetic in dental offices because it isn't well controlled and they don't have facilities to revive a patient if something happens.  A number of people have emerged either dead or with brain damage from dental anesthesia.  A dentist in Chicago killed a 5 year old girl last week.  Novocaine is fine but laughing gas and intravenous anesthetics are extremely dangerous in the hands of a dentist.  Go with the local Novocaine and you'll be fine.  Don't accept any additional sedation or anything intravenous from a dentist.

Unless the dentist has an anesthesiologist on staff, or at least someone well trained and experienced with anesthesia, I would agree.  The last time my husband had oral surgery, because of his decreased kidney function, they did give him less anesthesia and used a different kind of pre-op med.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
Sara
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2006, 05:09:29 PM »

KK, my dentist prescribed some Xanax that I will take for the appointment because like you I am a dental coward.  Is that an option for dialysis patients?  I will be taking one the night before, one that morning, and I can take another in the office if I need to.  They told me at that point I won't care what is happening.   :beer1;

Sara, wife to Joe (he's the one on dialysis)

Hemodialysis in-center since Jan '06
Transplant list since Sept '06
Joe died July 18, 2007
KTangel

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2006, 05:42:13 PM »

Please be careful of what you post. My father is a dentist and I have worked in the dental field and I can attest to the numerous codes/rules/laws that are followed in regards to this. It is very well controlled and they would not be able to use the "laughing gas" unless they are well trained and know how to "revive" a patient. There will always be cases when something goes wrong-but the generalization that was posted can be dangerous. Next time you go see your dentist please discuss your concerns with them so they can give you information and places to turn to for that information.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2006, 09:14:09 PM »

It will be an oral surgeon working on me and the clinis seems to be state of the art.  Anyone want to hold my hand on October 10?
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 09:58:05 AM by kitkatz » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

livecam
Elite Member

World's Best Beach..Lanikai..Oahu, Hawaii

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2006, 07:50:28 AM »

Be careful about what I post?  This stuff happens periodically in Dentist's offices.  They are not qualified to administer many types of anesthesia period.  See link http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/09/30/D8KF72UG0.html
« Last Edit: September 30, 2006, 07:52:44 AM by livecam » Logged
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2006, 08:41:29 PM »

Let me update you on the dental visit today...Oh my God!   I have never been in a place that promised me no pain, and gave me lots of pain. No nitrous oxide even though I told them the dentist said I was to have it.  I was my normal cry baby self and made a scene when they pulled my bottom tooth. Pardon the expression, but HOLY GOD that hurt! He even numbed me up good before he did it.   Sheez!  The dentist promises nitrous oxide next time.  Okay so why not this time?  Did someone forget my anesthesia order? I am not happy right now even though two Vicodin are sitting in me saying "oh yeah, we have vicodin in us!"  I have no idea why the Vicodin are singing about themselves!  I just ate ramen noodle soup and applesauce just to have something to probably throw up in my stomach. Afraid of really cold things now.  Want a soda but afraid to drink it.  What a day!

lifenotonthelist.com

vandie

« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2006, 08:55:05 PM »

Oh. Kit.  I'm so sorry.  Hopefully the Vicodin will kick in and you can sleep tonight.  Hang in there.

Life is the journey, not the destination.

Miss you so much Susie. Will always <3 you!

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2006, 09:00:52 PM »

Oooooo, sorry to hear about that.  I hope your next appt. goes better.
I've been lucky so far.  Haven't had my wisdom teeth pulled.  Dentist said I have plenty of room in my mouth.  :clap;

Due to our lower immune system, I believe your nephrologist would prescribe amoxicillin or something similar.  And it is taken usually one hour before the dentist begins.  Your doctor should determine the dose, and whether you should take it after the dental work as well.

Last time I had my teeth cleaned.  The dentist said I would need to take an antibiotic.  Due to the heart murmur and kidney failure.  I think I took it one hr b4 the appt and 4 or 6 hrs after.[/color]

"To be happy is the choice I wish to make in spite of the circumstances that are strewn in my path."

1996 - started incenter hemo
a few months later, started PD
2005 - started incenter hemo
AGAIN
  - on transplant list as of August 7, 2009.
2011/June - 15 years on "D"
Transplant - Tuesday October 18th 2011
Black
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2006, 09:47:05 PM »

:o  Oh, KK, I am so sorry.  I hope the Vic kicked in before you went to bed, and they gave you plenty for later.  How many days off do you have before you go back to work?

Don't forget -- no straws!

Lorelle

Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2006, 08:43:46 AM »

I feel pretty awful today. Sat with the face on an icepack a good part of the night last night.  Thank God two Vicodin every six hours helps me tolerate the pain.  I have to go back to work tomorrow. I have a parent teacher meeting scheduled at 8:30 a.m. int he monring int he principal's office. The principal is going to translate to Arabic speaking parents for me. Then I have the campus police officers coming to speak on Police as a career 3rd and 6th periods.  Then I have an IEP at 2pm.  I hope I am up all of this tomorrow.

lifenotonthelist.com

anja

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2006, 08:47:39 PM »

Oh, Kit, I don't know how you could be up to all the meetings today!!  Not  much sleep, lots of pain... you poor thing !   :'(  I also have apprehensive dentist visits for good reason.  (They say I metabolize the novacaine too quickly. >:(  )  Hope you did not get sick to your stomach, that would complicate things even further.  Hope you got some sleep after your hectic day and wake up more refreshed for Friday.  Keep thinking, the weekend is coming, the weekend is coming...  TGIF !!!  Hoping things are better real soon ~  Anja :2thumbsup;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2006, 06:28:28 AM »

Going to get through today Friday, then collapse for the weekend. I am supposed to go to a buy back day at work on Saturday, but do not even have the energy for today, much less tomorrow.  We will see tomorrow morning. My jaw aches today.

lifenotonthelist.com

Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2006, 06:35:22 AM »

Things will get better in time.. I'm one of the lucky ones never had wisdom teeth. I hope I never do. Thinking of you today. :grouphug;
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2006, 08:57:18 PM »

I made it through the day and even accomplished some work!  Achy jaw, but no Vicodin today. I was higher than a kite after school yesterday.  I stayed till almost 4 oclock doing things at work becasue the Vicodin I took at 10:40 had whacked me out pretty good yesterday afternoon.  I am feeling better today!

lifenotonthelist.com

jollor

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2007, 01:04:24 PM »

Has anybody been to a dentist that uses a laser? I've been reading up on it online and sounds like it would be alot less stressful compared to a traditional drill. I know I need some work done and I've been putting it off for a long time. So if anybodies been to one I would love to know about your experience. Here's a link that talks about the laser dentistry. http://www.waterlase.com/
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2007, 09:35:14 PM »

I had a friend who worked for a dentist who had a laser for cleaning teeth. She said it was less painful, but slightly more expensive.  The dentist I go to has a gee-whilly-whiz-bang Xray machine that shoots the entire head in one shot.  Wow! He also has xrays that input directly into the computer.  They can see your entire mouth while you are sitting in the chair.  I go back on the 13th of February to see the dentist. 

lifenotonthelist.com

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2007, 04:07:45 PM »

I was back to the dentist twice this week.  It SUCKS!  I hate it. I have more work on the let side in January.  Today was awful, but somehow I sat in that chair and did it.  More chairs, more needles...sigh!

lifenotonthelist.com

Black
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2007, 05:51:53 PM »

I was back to the dentist twice this week.  It SUCKS!  I hate it. I have more work on the left side in January.  Today was awful, but somehow I sat in that chair and did it.  More chairs, more needles...sigh!

Twice in one week!  :thumbdown;   :thumbdown;   

Would be nice if they could do the dialysis at the same time.  :lol;  (Just keep working on getting that machine at home.)

Lorelle

Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »