I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 04, 2024, 10:17:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Transplant Discussion
| | |-+  I got the call and a new kidney!!!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I got the call and a new kidney!!!  (Read 4906 times)
andykinney

« on: June 02, 2009, 11:51:36 PM »

Sorry for the length of this, but it's a month's worth of information

We got the call at 3:50 a.m. on May 7th to come to Yale New Haven Hospital, that there was a kidney "offer" for me.  This was the first time that I had an offer; prior to this, I had received calls that I was the first or second backup.  Yale is about 35 miles from us, which is no distance at all in the middle of the night!

Jim (my husband) and I got up, prayed, showered and got dressed.  At that time, I had to call to awaken my neighbor and good friend - the Baxter delivery was scheduled for that morning and, if things did not work out, I was going to need my supplies!  She came over and we headed out.  When we got to Yale, they had a room ready for me (looks like the real deal!).  They started to run additional tests and people began to come into the room.  My pre-transplant coordinator came in to give me a hug and tell me how wonderful it was and that she had told the nurses that I was going to make a great patient!  That was a fun conclusion since she and I had never met, only corresponded via fax and over the phone, but she told me that I had always complied with the necessary testing and she'd never need to chase me down to get test information. The social worked came in and gave me a big hug as well; turned out to be great that she remembered me 'cause we needed her a lot during the 12 days I was in the hospital.

The wheeled me into the OR about 3:45 that afternoon; I got back into my room about 11:30.  I woke up on on Friday in the most euphoric frame of mind ever!  I felt wonderful!  I started to call people and tell them the great news, laughed and giggled my way through Friday; I think I felt better than Jim did since I had had lots of sleep and he had been awake for hours and then back at the hospital first thing in the morning. The kidney was totally on-board and working great! 

On Saturday, another IV was started; it was my second dose of thymoglobulin (the first had been given to me during the surgery).  My reaction was extreme - my temperature rose to 105 degrees, I became incoherent, unable to identify myself or my husband, didn't know where I was or why, fought with those who were trying to help me.  I now know that this is one of the reactions described in the literature, but it was the first time that most of the nurses had seen it.  I was finally moved to the "step-down" unit (one step down from ICU) because they felt I needed closer supervision than they could give me on the transplant floor.  My kidney stopped working and they still needed to give me another dose of thymoglobulin.  Jim stayed overnight in the hospital with me to ensure that my every symptom would get attention.  Of course, since they slowed the delivery of the drug and gave me Tylenol and Benadryl before starting, I had no problems.

But my kidney had stopped working and after a few days, my transplant surgeon decided to do a biopsy to be sure there had not been any damage to the kidney.  The biopsy showed that there was nothing wrong, that the kidney just needed to "wake up".

I was released on Monday the 18th, back to clinic on Tuesday the 19th and have been going there every Tuesday and Friday since.  Keep your fingers (and toes and eyes!) crossed for me - everything seems to be going well.  I'm feeling stronger every day, but they can't seem to get my prograf stable - I'm now up to 7mg in the am and 7mg in the pm, which seems like overkill, but I can't find grounds to fight it.

I wouldn't have been able to get through the 2 1/2 years of dialysis, the transplant, the thymo reaction (which every doc in clinic has heard about and says "oh, you're the one!"), or this aftermath of slow steps and twice-weekly clinic visits without Jim, who has been my rock and became my boulder when my PKD was diagnosed in my 50's and I rapidly moved from CKD to ESRD.

"Out of the night that covers me, Black as the pit from pole to pole.
I think whatever gods may be, For my unconquerable soul."

Diagnosed with PKD in 2003 - consider myself a mutant, since
no ancestor seems to have had it.

Started dialysis in 2007; much of the time between catheter
surgery and 1st dialysis is hazy (if I don't think about it, it ain't true!)

Was on dialysis only 2 1/2 years and am blessed to have
received a kidney from a remarkable guy and family!

Deceased donor transplant on May 7, 2009.
okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2009, 11:58:30 PM »

Thank you for all the details - I love transplant stories! :yahoo;

What blood type are you? How long were you on dialysis? What did you ask about the donor?

:cheer:   :cheer:   :cheer:  Congratulations - I hope it last you for a long long time!!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 02:17:36 AM »

Awesome news!  I hope this kidney lasts a lifetime, thanks for sharing your story.  :2thumbsup;
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 04:32:02 AM »

Yea, yea, yea! :cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

Always brings tears to my eyes.

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2009, 04:55:22 AM »

:yahoo;  Here is to many many years with your new kidney.   :wine;

Prayers going out to the family of the donor.   :cuddle;

MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2009, 10:43:03 AM »

:beer1; :beer1; Lets keep that kidney working for a really long time.  My fingers, legs, arms, toes, eyes and everything else are crossed for ya.  Good luck!

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theres is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:3-9
Hanify
Elite Member

Hadija, Athol, Me and Molly at Havelock North 09

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 05:54:13 PM »

Thinking of you and your new kiddley.

Diagnosed Nov 2007 with Multiple Myeloma.
By Jan 2008 was in end stage renal failure and on haemodialysis.
Changed to CAPD in April 2008.  Now on PD with a cycler.  Working very part time - teaching music.  Love it.  Husband is Paul (we're both 46), daughter Molly is 13.
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2009, 07:17:06 PM »

The yo-yo of Prograf seems to be expected until a nice trough level is established! I am so happy for you and your family! :clap;
donnia
Elite Member

me and my donor Joyce

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2009, 08:36:50 PM »

Fantastic!!!

So they kidney has awaken right????  So, how are ur labs looking?

Mucho prayers for you to have a long lasting relationship with ur new kidney!!!!!!

Born with one kidney 1972
Ureter re-constructured 1975 (reflux had already damaged the kidney)
Diagnosed and treated for high blood pressure 2000
Diagnosed ESRF October 2006
Started dialysis September 2007
Last dialysis June 4, 2008
Transplant from my hero, Joyce, June 5, 2008
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2009, 09:26:14 PM »

:cheer:

Go kidney, go!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2009, 02:45:35 PM »

I hope things are going well for you now and that your kidney is wide awake at this point. Hope it lasts a long time.

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2009, 03:18:31 PM »

Congratulations!  Please keep us posted. 

I see that you are in Norwalk.  I was born at Norwalk Hospital and grew up in Weston.  Small world.
andykinney

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2009, 05:50:28 PM »

What blood type are you? How long were you on dialysis? What did you ask about the donor?

My blood type is A.  I was on peritoneal dialysis for 2 years and 7 months.  I was told that I had "a strong,sturdy kidney; my husband was told that it came from a young person.  No one would answer any of our other questions!

So they kidney has awaken right????  So, how are ur labs looking?

The kidney is (mostly) awake.  My transplant coordinator has expressed concern that my creatinine seems to be stuck st 3.5 and a decision is to be made this week regarding a needle biopsy to check things out; I almost want them to leave me alone 'cause I don't want Kerry Kidney (since I don't know if it came from a man or a woman I'm spelling it with a "K") to get upset with all the prodding and poking!

"Out of the night that covers me, Black as the pit from pole to pole.
I think whatever gods may be, For my unconquerable soul."

Diagnosed with PKD in 2003 - consider myself a mutant, since
no ancestor seems to have had it.

Started dialysis in 2007; much of the time between catheter
surgery and 1st dialysis is hazy (if I don't think about it, it ain't true!)

Was on dialysis only 2 1/2 years and am blessed to have
received a kidney from a remarkable guy and family!

Deceased donor transplant on May 7, 2009.
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2009, 06:02:38 PM »

:rofl;  I named mine Kalvin...then later found out he came from a she...so now she is named...well...Kalvin!  Kalvin and I have had three biopsies in 7 months, I was assured my my transplant surgeon and neph that getting some tissue was the only SURE way to know what was going on, my creatinine went from 1.3 at best to 3.3 at worst post transplant.  The biopsies showed rejection that wouldn't have manifested any other way until it was possibly too late to save poor lil Kalvin.  I still have issues, but creat is down to 2.1 and I am feeling great. Finally after all this time, numbers are going down.....ever so slowly.

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »