I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:21:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Dialysis: Workers
| | | |-+  Dear Dialysis Patient:
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dear Dialysis Patient:  (Read 20991 times)
kitkatz
Member for Life

« on: September 19, 2006, 08:55:22 PM »

Okay folks, I have been on a rant about dialysis techs, nurses and dietitians.  If you as a tech or nurse or caregiver could write a letter to a dialysis patient what would it say.

My example:
Dear Patient:
     Why are you late again?  That makes two out of three days this week?  And you want to run your full time or you will be in the office with my boss complaining about me.  Get a watch.  Get whomever brings you rolling earlier. You are holding up my entire side by being late. I want to go home on time tonight and you are going to change everyone's schedule who is behind you in this chair! Please get here before you are scheduled to go on.

Tech or Nurse.

Moved to Dialysis Worker's Section - Rerun - Moderator
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 11:01:54 PM by Rerun » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 10:13:59 PM »

Maybe I put this in the wrong thread?  Mods want to move it over to workers area?

Done - Rerun - Moderator
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 11:02:23 PM by Rerun » Logged

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
a_dreaded_nurse

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2006, 04:09:54 PM »

Dear Patient:
   Its good to see you again.  I think about you when I go home...about ways I can make this lifestyle easier for you.  I do worry about you when you insist on ending your treatment early, and also when you have gained 8 kg. since your last treatment.  I know its going to be hard on your body to get through this treatment, but I will do my best to be prepared to help stabilize your blood pressure, and you can push against my legs when yours is cramping.  I will listen to your complaints about being here, but I do want you to know that you are more than just a job to me and it really hurts me when you curse at me. 
   I know you don't want to be here, I can see it in your face.  I can feel you want to hit me when I put the needles in your arm.  I hope you don't, and all I can tell you is it should get easier with time.  I really enjoy your company and your humor...I just wish we could have met under different circumstances.   No, I can't tell you where Mr. Smith is today, you know that violates the rules.  And no, you can't eat your snack while your here...I would rather hear you complain than choke.  I hope I am making a difference in your life, you are making one in mine.
     Dear patient, it is the weekend, and I hope to see you on Monday.  I hope the potatoes and tomatoes, the coffee and cokes are not too big of a temptation to you.  I will do my best to get you into your same chair, and I will pray that the machine won't break down and make you late.
   Have a good weekend,
   Your Nurse
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2006, 05:06:48 PM »

*thinking*  If only all the nurses felt the same way... (sigh) :-\   
I would've loved for you to have been my nurse  ::)

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2006, 07:05:56 PM »

That is a good nurse.  :clap;

Unfortunately, she is at some other center!  AND you touch my snack and you will know what "choke" is.     >:D

Black
Elite Member

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2006, 07:24:20 PM »

Dear Patient:
   Its good to see you again.  I think about you when I go home...about ways I can make this lifestyle easier for you.  I do worry about you when you insist on ending your treatment early, and also when you have gained 8 kg. since your last treatment.  I know its going to be hard on your body to get through this treatment, but I will do my best to be prepared to help stabilize your blood pressure, and you can push against my legs when yours is cramping.  I will listen to your complaints about being here, but I do want you to know that you are more than just a job to me and it really hurts me when you curse at me. 
   I know you don't want to be here, I can see it in your face.  I can feel you want to hit me when I put the needles in your arm.  I hope you don't, and all I can tell you is it should get easier with time.  I really enjoy your company and your humor...I just wish we could have met under different circumstances.   No, I can't tell you where Mr. Smith is today, you know that violates the rules.  And no, you can't eat your snack while your here...I would rather hear you complain than choke.  I hope I am making a difference in your life, you are making one in mine.
     Dear patient, it is the weekend, and I hope to see you on Monday.  I hope the potatoes and tomatoes, the coffee and cokes are not too big of a temptation to you.  I will do my best to get you into your same chair, and I will pray that the machine won't break down and make you late.
   Have a good weekend,
   Your Nurse

You have no idea how I pray that my husband gets a nurse like you.  Your patients are truly blessed.

Lorelle

Husband Mike Diagnosed with PKD Fall of 2004
Fistula Surgery  1/06
Fistula Revision  11/06
Creatinine 6.9  1/07
Started diaysis 2/5/07 on NxStage
goofynina
Member for Life

He is the love of my life......

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2006, 08:25:39 PM »

LMAO @ RERUN,  Girlfriend, you are too much... :2thumbsup;

....and i think to myself, what a wonderful world....

www.kidneyoogle.com
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2006, 03:47:19 AM »

Yep, I agree, touch my snack and DIE!.

lifenotonthelist.com

angieskidney
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2006, 06:10:45 AM »

Dear Patient:
   Have a good weekend,
   Your Nurse
You made me cry you are so nice and compassionate! Do a lot of dialysis nurses feel this way?

FREE Donor List for all Kidney Patients!

diagnosed ESRD 1982
PD 2/90 - 4/90, 5/02 - 6/05
Transplant 4/11/90
Hemo 7/05-present (Inclinic Fres. 2008k 3x/wk MWF)
a_dreaded_nurse

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2006, 11:51:34 AM »

Some do and unfortunately some don't...and sometimes the ones that do don't come accross in a very compassionate way.  I work with a nurse, and the best way I can describe her is like a chihuahua on speed.  She is loud and blunt, but she cares about everyone more than she can show.
John S.

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2006, 03:58:44 PM »

Dear Patient:
   Have a good weekend,
   Your Nurse

That was truly one of the best posts I've read on this site. In my 12 years of doing this, I've had about 4 nurses like that. Actually, one of them is posting on this site now, but I won't tell who it is. She saved me once from some real bad stuff.

john
Epoman
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

Want to help out? Become a Premium Member today

« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2006, 04:26:32 PM »

Dear Patient:
   Have a good weekend,
   Your Nurse

That was truly one of the best posts I've read on this site. In my 12 years of doing this, I've had about 4 nurses like that. Actually, one of them is posting on this site now, but I won't tell who it is. She saved me once from some real bad stuff.

john

Why?  ::)

- Epoman
Owner/Administrator
13+ Years In-Center Hemo-Dialysis. (NO Transplant)
Current NxStage & PureFlow User.

Please help us advertise, post our link to other dialysis message boards. You
tubes

Miss you so much Susie. Will always <3 you!

« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2006, 08:28:21 PM »

Some do and unfortunately some don't...and sometimes the ones that do don't come accross in a very compassionate way. I work with a nurse, and the best way I can describe her is like a chihuahua on speed. She is loud and blunt, but she cares about everyone more than she can show.

Wow, that sounds exactly like one of my nurses.  Jayne... :o whoops, did i say that? ? ? ::)

I have a great time w/ all my nurses.  I wish u were one of them.  Hmmmmmm....are you ? ? ?     :D  :lol;  j/k

"To be happy is the choice I wish to make in spite of the circumstances that are strewn in my path."

1996 - started incenter hemo
a few months later, started PD
2005 - started incenter hemo
AGAIN
  - on transplant list as of August 7, 2009.
2011/June - 15 years on "D"
Transplant - Tuesday October 18th 2011
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 06:04:57 PM »

My wish is that every dialysis patient gets a chance to be treated that way by their nurse. It makes a difference in the way a patient decides to follow their treatment.

Now if we could get them to dress like the Hooter girls, the patients might actually arrive early.  >:D  ;)  :thumbup;
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2007, 05:20:13 AM »

I think most people who take up a vocation like nursing are special people indeed. It takes something special to choose to do such a job. Yes, there are some bad apples, and some that to them it is just a job but I'm happy to say most nurses I have met in my unit, and just generally, have been wonderful caring people...

and one way I know that is when I come in and see one nurse after a few weeks and she asks after my family by name, and how my cat is, and if I enjoyed the restaurant I went to that I was telling her about etc. You know, someone who remembers YOU and the important things for you!!

Oh yeah and thet treat you properly.

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
boxman55
Elite Member

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2007, 07:07:34 AM »

at my unit the simple things impress me like how all the techs and nurses remember your name. It makes me try to do the same. Also the ones that remember things that you don't like and make sure you participate in your treatment discussion. Just simple things make a difference

"Be the change you wished to be"
Started Hemodialysis 8/14/06
Lost lower right leg 5/16/08 due to Diabetes
Sister was denied donation to me for medical reasons 1/2008
bigshot99

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2007, 11:04:32 PM »

Okay folks, I have been on a rant about dialysis techs, nurses and dietitians.  If you as a tech or nurse or caregiver could write a letter to a dialysis patient what would it say.

My example:
Dear Patient:
     Why are you late again?  That makes two out of three days this week?  And you want to run your full time or you will be in the office with my boss complaining about me.  Get a watch.  Get whomever brings you rolling earlier. You are holding up my entire side by being late. I want to go home on time tonight and you are going to change everyone's schedule who is behind you in this chair! Please get here before you are scheduled to go on.

Tech or Nurse.
hello,thats verry true,i have a patient and he come's in late,that put's the next patient that will use his chair late and also maybe not be able to get his full treatment,it also put's me behind when a patient come's in late.it's a snow ball effect that can impact other patient's
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2007, 12:12:31 AM »

Bigshot99,

Please go to the introduce yourself and introduce yourself. That way we can get to know you a little better.

Sluff, Administrator
« Last Edit: March 21, 2007, 04:26:30 AM by Sluff » Logged
Tech11

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2007, 12:46:14 AM »

My example:
Dear Patient:

Tech or Nurse.

My example:
Dear Patient:

Tech or Nurse.
hello,thats verry true,i have a patient and he come's in late,that put's the next patient that will use his chair late and also maybe not be able to get his full treatment,it also put's me behind when a patient come's in late.it's a snow ball effect that can impact other patient's
Bigshot99,

Please got to the introduce yourself and introduce yourself. That way we can get to know you a little better.

Sluff, Administrator
Tech11

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2007, 12:51:08 AM »

Maybe I put this in the wrong thread?  Mods want to move it over to workers area?

Done - Rerun - Moderator
Tech11

« Reply #20 on: March 21, 2007, 01:07:47 AM »

My example:
Dear Patient:

Tech or Nurse.

Hi, am a newbie and don't know my way around. Don't know where to go to introduce myself. Am a tech and I will be hitting my 12th year in  Sept. Not everyone that works in dialysis should be there but, they are.I have worked with some good tech and bad ones, also some good nurses and not so good.  My feeling  is, am there to help my patients and not to make friends with my co workers. I want  my cowokers to do their job and not think about how fast they can get out of there and go home. I will be happy to post more when I can figure out how this all works.
tech11
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #21 on: March 21, 2007, 04:30:09 AM »

Hi TechII

Follow this link: http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?board=14.0 to introduce yourself. Start a new thread with your information, can't wait to hear from you.

Then go here and read the site rules: http://ihatedialysis.com/forum/index.php?board=34.0

Sluff, Administrator
carolyn77531

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2007, 05:36:22 AM »

Jessica has great nurses..i love them...they have done more for me and Jessica..they went out of there way to help me...UTMB dialysis nurses..i will have to tell you guys the story one day

YOU are stronger than you realize.
Wiser than you know.
What was once your life is now your legend.........
YouDontKnowCecil

The more you know ...

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2007, 06:05:41 AM »

I'll say one thing, the nurses, techs and the late time slot at my current clinic is why I love it there, even though it's rather out of the way.

1987 summer (age 9), Renal biopsy confirms kidney disease (Alport Syndrome).
2001 January (age 22), Arterio-venous fistula put in left forearm.
2002 March (age 23), Started in-center hemodialysis (12 years!).
2014 April (age 35), Now training for self home hemodialysis with NxStage.
letaek

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2007, 06:23:22 PM »

Dear Patient:
   Have a good weekend,
   Your Nurse

this is a good letter::)

Will always love you Dad-hemo for 2 years & passed away 10.28.07
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »