I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 06:31:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  Fat nephs, fat nurses
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fat nephs, fat nurses  (Read 19665 times)
RightSide
Elite Member

« on: April 22, 2009, 06:43:53 AM »

Two of the nurses in my dialysis center are so fat that they waddle when they walk across the dialysis floor between stations.  And my neph, wihle not grossly obese, could easily stand to lose 15 or 20 pounds.

This is simply wrong.  Nephs and nurses who work with ESRD patients should know damn well about the dangers of obesity, all the illnesses it can lead to.  And they're not setting a good example for their patients. 

Some patients have been struggling to lose some weight, and it would inspire them to see nurses with slim waists, and nephs with powerful muscles and washboard abs.
peleroja
Elite Member

I have 16 hats, all the same style!

« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2009, 07:13:08 AM »

I know what you mean.  I am appalled at the number of people in my center who are clinically obese.  Bottom line, though, is you can't change other people, only yourself.  I knew I was fat when I weighed 233.5, but it took a BMI table to show me that I wasn't just overweight or obese, I was in "extreme obesity."  As of yesterday I weighed 175, which still puts me in the "obese" category, and I still have the "overweight" category to go through before I even get to normal!  It sure is a lot easier and more fun putting the weight on than taking it off!
Deanne
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2009, 07:36:14 AM »

They're human, just like we are. I think it's wrong to judge them for their weight just because of their career choice.

Deanne

1972: Diagnosed with "chronic kidney disease" (no specific diagnosis)
1994: Diagnosed with FSGS
September 2011: On transplant list with 15 - 20% function
September 2013: ~7% function. Started PD dialysis
February 11, 2014: Transplant from deceased donor. Creatinine 0.57 on 2/13/2014
Wallyz

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2009, 07:48:44 AM »

Planks and motes.
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2009, 08:13:00 AM »

:waving; hi deanne.

Judge not, that ye be not judged. 
For with what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged: and with what measure ye mete, it shall be measured to you again. 

Matt:7: 1-2

(sorry folks, i just couldn't resist - having once been 230 pounds)

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2009, 08:21:57 AM »

Yup, had a couple of nurses and techs at my first center with some very serious weight problems.  There are plenty of over-weight hospital staff everywhere around here.  I get that it's hard to lose the weight; I guess I just wonder that they haven't seen their own future in the faces of the patients they take care of, and gotten scared enough to do something about it.  You would think listening to us cramp and crash and puke would be some incentive to live a healthier lifestyle.

One of the heaviest was always the first to lecture about fluid gains and diet restrictions when a patient's numbers were too high.  That always seemed hypocritical to me - to have her lecturing about self-control.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2009, 08:23:52 AM »

I guess the old saying:  "Do as I say and not as I do" applies here.   :bow;

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2009, 08:43:31 AM »

At least the nutritionist at our center is slim.

But I don't have room to talk! LOL!

:o

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
del
Elite Member

del and willowtreewren meet

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 09:31:53 AM »

I know what you mean.  I am appalled at the number of people in my center who are clinically obese.  Bottom line, though, is you can't change other people, only yourself.  I knew I was fat when I weighed 233.5, but it took a BMI table to show me that I wasn't just overweight or obese, I was in "extreme obesity."  As of yesterday I weighed 175, which still puts me in the "obese" category, and I still have the "overweight" category to go through before I even get to normal!  It sure is a lot easier and more fun putting the weight on than taking it off!

Congratulations peleroja!! :yahoo; :2thumbsup; That is a fantastic weight loss.  bet you feel a whole lot better.  I was almost the same weight as you and am down to 185 lbs.  I still have the obese and overweight category to go through too!!! So true that it is more fun putting the weight on that taking it off!!!  Keep on taking the pounds off LOL!!!

Don't take your organs to heaven.  Heaven knows we need them here.
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 12:52:41 PM »

my nep doc used the be as round as he was tall
he lost tons
I never said -- anything about his weight
he does understand the difficulties of weight loss
I have lost 38 lbs and I like to keep track in my head as of who I am now weighing less than -
since Dec 9 --- I know it is not a mature thing to do ---- add to the things to be done while on dialysis -
aharris2
Elite Member

Volcan Pacaya, Guatemala

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 02:32:37 PM »

So is ours. I think it makes her unable to relate to the patients who don't always follow that strict dialysis diet, especially during the holidays.

Life is like a box of chocolates...the more you eat the messier it gets - Epofriend

Epofriend - April 7, 1963 - May 24, 2013
My dear Rolando, I miss you so much!
Rest in peace my dear brother...
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 04:18:13 PM »

Oh dear RS...there are so many things I wanted to say, instead just said a prayer for you.  I have noticed in my center that the techs that are overweight are the ones who tell the others..you just go take your break or lunch, I'll stay here and keep and eye on your patients and these same individuals then finally go on break when the others are done and are back in 15 min after throwing their food down and continue caring for US.  I really try to avoid talking nasty about people because I probably..no I know I have been there and am still there, unfortunately you might be one of the people who were so mean to many of us when we were growing up and that still hurts so many of us.  Think about it please.

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 04:57:46 PM »

I think the point is if you are in the health care field and see all the consequences of bad choices that you would make good ones.  If you are around dialysis it should scare you enough to eat right and quit smoking.

At my old clinic (DaVita) they would come in from break and reek of smoke.

Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 05:59:04 PM »

I am struggling with weight issues. I go to a gym and walk. Since I joined the gym almost a year ago I gained 7 pounds. One doc made me feel better when he said that he struggles with weight too. Most of them just preach like it is easy.
rocker

« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 07:26:43 PM »

So is ours. I think it makes her unable to relate to the patients who don't always follow that strict dialysis diet, especially during the holidays.

Oooooooh, be careful about this one.

I lost a third of my body weight about 10-12 years ago.  I haven't gained it back, but I still struggle with it every day.  Ten times a day I have to tell myself "No, do not eat that."  Now certainly it's worth it!  I feel a million times better than when I was fat.  But I can't tell you how many times someone has snarked at me "Oh, you're skinny, you don't know what it's like. You can eat anything you want!" 

Yeah, I can.  But I don't. 
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2009, 08:25:31 PM »

I am struggling with weight issues. I go to a gym and walk. Since I joined the gym almost a year ago I gained 7 pounds. One doc made me feel better when he said that he struggles with weight too. Most of them just preach like it is easy.

And remember, muscle weighs more than fat.

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 09:04:53 AM »

I think the point is if you are in the health care field and see all the consequences of bad choices that you would make good ones.  If you are around dialysis it should scare you enough to eat right and quit smoking.

At my old clinic (DaVita) they would come in from break and reek of smoke.

how about these two??   :sarcasm; oh well i just can't resist....

you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink...... or

there, but for the grace of god go i

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 12:24:17 PM »

And remember, muscle weighs more than fat.

8)

I am one strong sunofagun!!!

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 03:07:34 PM »

I think we need to be careful of making snap judgments about people over how they look.  I have been over weight most of my life, however it doe snot make me a bad person. It makes me have a project to work on- myself.  And who knows maybe those nurses and neph are battling their own health problems already.  When we leap to judgments we often miss the person that is there.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
bioya

« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2009, 07:33:43 PM »

Two of the nurses in my dialysis center are so fat that they waddle when they walk across the dialysis floor between stations.  And my neph, wihle not grossly obese, could easily stand to lose 15 or 20 pounds.

This is simply wrong.  Nephs and nurses who work with ESRD patients should know damn well about the dangers of obesity, all the illnesses it can lead to.  And they're not setting a good example for their patients. 

Some patients have been struggling to lose some weight, and it would inspire them to see nurses with slim waists, and nephs with powerful muscles and washboard abs.

I was shocked that a dialysis patient would be so judgemental to make such a post. Maybe, if there is Karma... this posters nurses and physician will stop keeping him/her alive because he/she wears white socks or maybe his/her hair is the wrong color or maybe they will refuse his/her care because he is right handed or left handed...  This poster, who suffers from one of the most horrible disease processes that there is, should get on his/her knees and ask for forgiveness for being so judgemental.    I guess he/she should be happy that nurses and doctors are not judgemental about who they keep alive.. huh?
MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2009, 08:12:58 PM »

Oh dear RS...there are so many things I wanted to say, instead just said a prayer for you. 

Amen, G-ma! You have the right attitude. Some people make you  :stressed;. But it is all in the way you react to those people. I wish I could be like that more often!

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
RightSide
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2009, 08:14:04 PM »

Yup, had a couple of nurses and techs at my first center with some very serious weight problems.  There are plenty of over-weight hospital staff everywhere around here.  I get that it's hard to lose the weight; I guess I just wonder that they haven't seen their own future in the faces of the patients they take care of, and gotten scared enough to do something about it.  You would think listening to us cramp and crash and puke would be some incentive to live a healthier lifestyle.
That was my feeling.  I really wasn't trying to judge anyone harshly who has to struggle with a weight problem.  I've struggled with my own share of other problems.  It's just that if you work in a dialysis center (or a cardiology unit), you certainly get to see firsthand what health problems obesity can cause.  So why not be "scared straight"?

Makes you wonder how many doctors and nurses in Oncology departments still smoke cigarettes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYgLAPhbyKg
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2009, 11:05:27 PM »

I am sure that doctors and nurses look t obese patients and wonder why we let ourselves get this way over time.  I know losing weight seems to be a great battle many of us face everyday, myself included.  I think if we are fit and can move and get around in our daily lives we may actually be better than being rail thin.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2009, 01:30:16 AM »

KK..Thank You...I'm going to try to look at myself as a project..I enjoy craft projects when I can see so I've put myself on a list of things to attempt to do each day.   
 :bow;

MiBarra...there were lots of tears to get me to the point where I could just say a prayer for people like this...at 4 years of age my "dad,s father...yes my grandfather' started telling me daily how ugly and fat I was..actually every time he was in a room with me..I never told and he carefully did not say it when anyone else was in the room and so I became "fat and ugly" just for him I guess....the last time he said this to me my other grandpa had just walked up behind him at a wedding..I was 15 and in a pretty fat dress and cruel grandpa had just said you are still ugly and look like a barn door...I just stood there and instantly  good grandpa had his arms around me and I melted and grandpa proceeded to tell cruel one in front of the wedding guests exactly what he would do to cruel g if he ever walked within speaking distance of me..and you know what??? cruel one never said another word to me and died at 99 when I was about 40...but he had done his cruelty for 15 years and it is very imbedded ...I still look in a mirror and see ugly and fat...my 2nd husband and Saul are the only men I've told and they both have done a lot toward repairing my mirror image in my head and within the last year I've become determined to pray at least one time every day and extra prayers if I see someone being treated cruely...hopefully this will help me also. 

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2009, 03:08:05 AM »

lol none of our nurses could be like that - they do 8 and 12 hour shifts often on their feet for hours at a time so they'd get good exercise..

but hey.. each to their own - it's their life choices.. who am I to criticise that?

I though often shake my head when I walk into the hospital past the crowd of medicos, nurses and the like all puffing away on their cancer sticks... human nature I guess!

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »