I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 11:18:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Hæmo or peritoneal? I can't make up my mind
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hæmo or peritoneal? I can't make up my mind  (Read 2530 times)
Stoday
Elite Member

« on: April 18, 2009, 06:07:40 PM »

I shall be talking about my preference for dialysis at the hospital next Tuesday.

I've done a lot of homework on the web and I've been to the hospital's pre dialysis seminar, but I still can't make up my mind.

The main merits and disadvantages balance out finely for me. So, it will be the little differences that will tip me one way or the other. I'd like to hear of the less important issues that might stack up on one side or the other.

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 07:16:17 PM »

I chose in-center hemo over PD because I'm diabetic, but I would have chosen it anyway even if I wasn't diabetic. I prefer it because I wanted to meet others in my position and needed to get out of the house. I enjoy talking with the nurses and techs and patients. I also get computer work done while there that I always seemed to procrastinate on when at home. I did not want PD specifically because I did not want a tube sticking out of my stomach. I am very self conscious. I also didn't want a bloated stomach. Those are my reasons. Hope I can be of some help!

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 07:21:07 PM »

You may want to choose PD because there are no needles and you can do it by yourself and at home.

djgaryb11

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 07:38:46 PM »

It really depends on your lifestyle and personal preference.  For me, PD was the way to go, since you do it yourself at home ( or away from home if you travel)...there are no needles and no blood to worry about....its much more flexible, since you can do it at night when you sleep ( using the cycler), or you can do it the "manual" way ( usually this means 4 times a day) and you are not locked into a set schedule as to exactly when you have to do it, unlike Hemo when you have a very set schedule for when you have to be in the clinic and getting your dialysis.  It really just depends on you...for many people Hemo is a good fit, for others PD makes more sense.

7/2001 Diagnosed with Hypertension and Chronic Kidney Disease
2/2008 Diagnosed with End Stage Renal Disease
4/2008 Surgery to Create Backup A/V Fistula in Left Arm
7/2008 Placed on "UNOS" list for a Kidney Transplant
10/2008 Surgery to place PD Catheter
10/2008 Started CAPD
11/2008 Started on Baxter HomeChoice PD Cycler ( CCPD)
Ang
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 04:35:30 PM »

have  a  chat  to  your  neph  and  be  guided  by  what  he  /  she  says, i  could'nt  do  pd  cause  my  kidneys  were  to  fat

live  life  to  the  full  and you won't  die  wondering
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 04:39:09 PM »

I've done only hemo - Pd not being an optimal choice for an overweight, brittle diabetic.  I've done both in-center and home hemo.  I preferred home by far.  I liked having the control and the ability to adjust my schedule to my life, instead of the other way around.  I think that's also true of PD.  I'm currently back on in-center, and it feels to me like I have a 4 day week now.  The day spent at the center on MWF is pretty much shot by the time I get home, and stagger off to bed for a nap.  I can't schedule anything for those 3 days - I simply don't have the energy.  From what I've read, PD doesn't give you that washed-out, no energy feeling like hemo does.  If I was starting and had the choice, I think I'd try PD first.

Regardless of which you pick, you can always switch if you want to.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 05:42:23 PM »

Hi, Stoday!
Everybody has their own preferences. For my husband, it was always going to be Hemo. He has never liked things on his skin - watches, bandages, etc. He couldn't tolerate the idea of the catheter in his abdomen. On the other hand, needles don't bother him at all. (He gets the bandages off after treatment ASAP!)  :rofl;

We do NxStage at home which gives us flexibility with our schedule instead of the 3 days of in-center dialysis.

There are several options. Good luck with your choice!
Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
monsterman

Impossible Is Nothing

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 10:29:32 PM »

I chose in-center hemo over PD because I'm diabetic, but I would have chosen it anyway even if I wasn't diabetic. I prefer it because I wanted to meet others in my position and needed to get out of the house. I enjoy talking with the nurses and techs and patients. I also get computer work done while there that I always seemed to procrastinate on when at home. I did not want PD specifically because I did not want a tube sticking out of my stomach. I am very self conscious. I also didn't want a bloated stomach. Those are my reasons. Hope I can be of some help!

My thoughts exactly I figured if I went with the PD I just wouldnt get as good of care as I would if I went with Hemo.. I enjoy getting out of the house and pretty much hanging out with the other patients for the few hours in my day it takes to get cleaned out..

Chris
willowtreewren
Member for Life

My two beautifull granddaughters

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2009, 07:49:29 AM »

Chris,
You may want to consider your assessment of getting better care in-center rather than at home. If you read through the many posts here you'll find that there is a wide range of quality of care.

The important thing is to stay informed and in control. You will know your body and what it needs far better than any staff at the treatment center. Speak up and be pro-active. Don't just accept whatever the staff tell you, especially if it doesn't seem right.

Aleta

Wife to Carl, who has PKD.
Mother to Meagan, who has PKD.
Partner for NxStage HD August 2008 - February 2011.
Carl transplanted with cadaveric kidney, February 3, 2011. :)
Stoday
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2009, 08:16:56 AM »

Thanks to everyone who took the time to reply.   :thx;

In the event, I didn't really have a choice. I've just got back from the hospital and a consultation with the big cheese of the nephrology department. It really has to be hæmo for me because:
1) I had only recovered from ulcerative colitis 21 months ago and it could return.
2) I've got a slight aneurysm of the aorta.
3) I had an undiagnosed stomach problem which disappeared 3 months ago.

Oh well, I don't have to have my umbilical hernia repaired.

Got a consultation with the fistula surgeon 1st week in May. I have about six months before I start dialysis.

Happily I had not set my heart on peritoneal...

Diagnosed stage 3 CKD May 2003
AV fistula placed June 2009
Started hemo July 2010
Heart Attacks June 2005; October 2010; July 2011
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »