I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 07:26:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Sure seal
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sure seal  (Read 9199 times)
hurlock1

THIS MEMBER IS BANNED FROM IHD

« on: April 18, 2009, 04:40:44 PM »

I've just read a couple of posts mentioning SureSeal bandages. At my clinic they have the tape locked up on a chain and they have to tear off long strips of tape and  go around and tear off 5" strips and stick'm to the side tables then distribute little stacks of 2x2s. Which they fold and put on the site and then put the little strips of tape on and then we have to hold the sites for 5 - 10 min. Or they have these big clamps that many of us aren't allowed to use for one reason or another. In my case I'm suposedly healthy enough to hold my site so I'm not allowed to use the clamps. Recently, I've been coming off at 95/58 or lower so I've not been able to hold and stand for standing so after getting off dialysis I have to sit there long before going over to weigh. I'm thinking that they are either just to cheap to buy sureseal pressure bandages or they don't know about them. I wonder if I should either just go buy some or maybe ask them if they know about them, or if there's something intrinsically wrong with them, making them impractical.
After noticing things written about them here at I hate, I went on the web and looked'm up and their all over the web, they don't have'm at Walgreen's. If they had'm at the local drugstore, I would buy some. I hate to get things over the internet and have to wait and then have it be the wrong thing and have to send it back and wait some more and bla bla bla
Tell me about sureseal pressure bandage,xl. Do they work? I'd hate to buy something that doesn't really work.  I hate the idea of getting something really cool that does work just for myself. But I'd do it. If we just had'm in the clinic, for general use for everybody, It seams that It would save a lot of effort and a lot of tape that they seem to want to save anyway, It would cut down alot on 2x2s as well. What do you think?
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2009, 07:40:35 PM »

I use them and I love them! They are just like bandaids, but instead of a cotton pad, they have a cellulose like material pad that stops that bleeding quickly. I have no idea how it actually works though. Instead of having to hold the tape and gauze "contraption" for 15 minutes, I clot off in 5 or less with the Sure Seals. I would ask if your clinic has them. If they don't, it's probably because they don't want to pay for them. The tape they use is cheap. Ask your pharmacist if they can order it for you. My clinic uses it, but my pharmacist was going to order it for me if they didn't.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2009, 08:00:09 PM »

I think some where on this site, someone said Walmart Pharmacy area carries Sureseals.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
silverhead

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2009, 08:10:41 PM »

The best way I can describe the action of the Sure-Seals is this: The cellulose pad is compressed, just like some of those sponges you have seen that have been compressed and after you soak them in water expand to full size, the pad on the tape absorbs the blood and expands, creating a pressure point on the opening, after it clots off and you remove the strip you can see a depression in the skin where the pad was located. We use them every time, but after an hour or so Sharon removes it and puts a standard band-aid on it along with a dab of antibiotic salve, when we remove it for the next needle stick the scab comes off with the band aid and she is ready to go........
Tom

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
hurlock1

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2009, 06:14:34 AM »

The best way I can describe the action of the Sure-Seals is this: The cellulose pad is compressed, just like some of those sponges you have seen that have been compressed and after you soak them in water expand to full size, the pad on the tape absorbs the blood and expands, creating a pressure point on the opening, after it clots off and you remove the strip you can see a depression in the skin where the pad was located. We use them every time, but after an hour or so Sharon removes it and puts a standard band-aid on it along with a dab of antibiotic salve, when we remove it for the next needle stick the scab comes off with the band aid and she is ready to go........
Tom
I found a PDF, URL: http://www.dayspringmed.biz/main/Docs/SureSeal%20Brochure.pdf , that explains How they work.
 What I want to know is in the cost of tape, pads, and running to the "tape station" pulling off a long  strip of tape, coming back, tearing off little strips of tape, folding the ends, taping the little strips of tape to the side table, then later using the strips to tape the 2x2a to make a makeshift bandage as opposed to just using a Sure seal bandage made specifically for dialysis patients. I wonder what the difference in cost is. I would bet that the dialysis biller would know.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2009, 06:36:07 AM »

The difference is, they have to pay the techs and nurses to be there anyhow, so it's cheaper to use tape and gauze.  I have a non-profit clinic, so if you need something, you can get it.  But the sure seals are still expensive enough that they only use them on patients who are having bleeding problems.  When they gave me my "emergency kit" for bleeding that happens on the way home from clinic, they included some sure seals, though. 

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

silverhead

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2009, 07:32:23 AM »

I did a Google search and found this site: MetroMedicalOnline.com , they have the sure seals for $16 with a special shipping of 2.50 (box of 100)

Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
hurlock1

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2009, 10:24:39 AM »

Other than just the clinics being understandibly too cheap to purchase the sure seal bandages, What I'd like to know if there's any intrinsic flaw with the bandages that they would be shy to use them
qwerty

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2009, 12:05:00 PM »

Last 2 companies I worked for rid of sureseal's due to cost only! They are great bandages and I would prefer to used them routinely but average a cost of .11 to .18C apiece. I did manage to get SuperStoppers for my clinic which patients so far really like over just a 2x2. They also have told us to not use regular bandaids either.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2009, 01:11:04 PM »

Other than just the clinics being understandibly too cheap to purchase the sure seal bandages, What I'd like to know if there's any intrinsic flaw with the bandages that they would be shy to use them

It is strictly a money thing. No medical professional is going to refuse patients the use of a proven medical product just because they "don't feel like it" or for vengeance. I have a number of family members who work in the medical billing and insurance fields and trust me, it all comes down to money. The sure seal bandages cost far more per piece than a simple piece of tape. The complexity of the manufacturing processes between the two products are vastly different and this is what determines most of the cost of something.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
hurlock1

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2009, 03:58:23 PM »

It is strictly a money thing. No medical professional is going to refuse patients the use of a proven medical product just because they "don't feel like it" or for vengeance. I have a number of family members who work in the medical billing and insurance fields and trust me, it all comes down to money. The sure seal bandages cost far more per piece than a simple piece of tape. The complexity of the manufacturing processes between the two products are vastly different and this is what determines most of the cost of something.
I know that it's pointless to argue, and I understand, but If a package of a hundred, retail is 16 dollars, That comes out to be about, 16 cents each. 2 per treatment comes out to be 32 cents per treatment. It seams petty when you figure the time and trouble saved. In my facility, they Guard the tape. I guess that people would take the sureseals home and use them for bandaids. It's a heck of a world we live in. I did look on the internet and Bought a package of 100 for 16.00+ shipping.(I can barely afford that) I will just take 2 per treatment for my own use. I hate to do that in front of others, it may not even matter to them and I will look like a buffoon, namby pamby bozo, "look, he brought his own bandages" kind of guy. I don't care.
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 04:30:00 PM »

If you have to buy your own, maybe there's a way to get your doc to write a script for them and get them thru the pharmacy?  Depending on your insurance and copays, it might be cheaper that way.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »