I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 11, 2024, 05:32:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Fistula Gram?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fistula Gram?  (Read 3485 times)
Tinah1968
Elite Member

ME

« on: April 15, 2009, 12:56:10 PM »

Hey everyone just have a Question
I have not been feeling well. I went to the Dr yesterday and my Fistula moved. Not really sure how that happened. But I have to have a Fistula Gram on Friday. I hear it is not a big deal but, I thought maybe I would ask you guys since I know that you will tell me the truth. Does it hurt? Do you know how long I have to wait to use it?  Is there another option if it is no longer useable? As they said it does have a thrill and I do feel it but they said that the Fistula makes a Sharp turn in my arm and they don't know why. Just worried and not sure if I should be.

Tina
Fistula Oct 2007
Started Dialysis May 22, 2009
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 01:05:38 PM »

They should give you a sedative, so you won't feel much pain at all.  It probably won't be more than sore afterward.  I've gone to dialysis immediately after a fistulagram - it shouldn't interrupt your dialysis schedule at all.  I'm not sure about what they mean by "moved" in your arm.  Hopefully, they will be able to balloon it back into shape.  If they can't, though, it means they will put in a temp cath for you to use until the fistula can be fixed or another one can be placed.

Hope it all goes well for you.   :cuddle;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Tinah1968
Elite Member

ME

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 01:08:31 PM »

Thanks Jbeany the Cath is what I am really worried about... I am afraid of getting one as I hear infections are more frequent with a cath.  Just a little nervous.

Tina
Fistula Oct 2007
thegrammalady
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 01:14:07 PM »

i've had 3. they were no problem. i had a sedative with each (if they don't offer, insist on it) it's my understanding that if a vein becomes blocked it will look for an alternitave path. that happened to my first fistula. when the original path became blocked 2 new ones appeared.

s
......................................................................................
If you can smile when things go wrong, you have someone in mind to blame.

Lead me not into temptation, I can find it myself.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning how to dance in the rain.

Some mistakes are too much fun to only make once.

Meddle Not In The Affairs Of Dragons
For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 01:28:10 PM »

ewwww   that don't sound like a lot of fun...  I have to have the cather for 10 weeks... while the fistala heals.  Surely one can go that long without an infection...

Tinah... haven't seen you around in a while.  You been ok?  Yes, Methodist for me. 

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
Tinah1968
Elite Member

ME

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 01:31:49 PM »

Yeah been a little sick DW, feeling a little weak and hadn't logged in in about a week. But I hope this new medication helps me... I am serious if you need anything I will go to Methodist. Socks, crosswords anything let me know. I will come by.. Don't hesitate to ask. We are all praying for a quick recovery on your fistula.

Tina
Fistula Oct 2007
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 01:37:48 PM »

I appreciate the offer but I think I'm covered.  I like the surgeon.  He seem genuinely interested.  He said the fistala would take about three or four minutes but the cath would be 30 or so.  I think I dread that more.  Sorry you've been sick.. I kept looking for your name.  Hope you will feel better now.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
Tinah1968
Elite Member

ME

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 04:35:30 AM »

thegrammalady  I just wanted to say THANK YOU for your response. I will make sure to ask for a sedative.

Tina
Fistula Oct 2007
Tinah1968
Elite Member

ME

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 06:59:19 PM »

well tomorrow i have the fistulagram. i sure hopr it is fast and easy. gotta remember to get a sedative.. So much going throughmy mind. I hope that it is alot better than the thoughts i have running around in my head..  Wish me luck i hope this fistula will be useable.

Tina
Fistula Oct 2007
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 04:01:38 AM »

Tinah, I'll be thinking about you.  Let us know how things go. 

paris
Member for Life

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 03:13:06 PM »

Tinah, You have been in my thoughts all day.  Hope you are doing ok and everything went well.   :grouphug;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Tinah1968
Elite Member

ME

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 06:51:36 PM »

Hi everyone I just woke up and thought I would let you know it was doing well. I feel good and my fistula is useable. (YAY!) But they had to do Angioplasty on the vein to open it up... But it is okay now and will be able to work in 2-4 weeks. Thank you all for your prayers..

Tina
Fistula Oct 2007
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 06:56:19 PM »

Tinah, its good to hear from you.  I hope it wasn't too bad today.

Tinah1968
Elite Member

ME

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 06:58:54 PM »

It was alot better than I thought.. Not really knowing what I was getting into I feel good that I can use the fistula.. 

Tina
Fistula Oct 2007
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 08:33:23 AM »

It's always scariest the first time, isn't it?  Glad things turned out well!

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Tinah1968
Elite Member

ME

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2009, 03:31:20 PM »

Yes Jbeany I think being in this situation that your never sure and every first is scary. but, with lots of support from family my friends and IHD I went in scared but with  good thoughts.. I made sure to ask for a sedative like Grammy suggested and it all worked out.

Tina
Fistula Oct 2007
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »