I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 01:29:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  Morning after -- second thoughts
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Morning after -- second thoughts  (Read 9284 times)
dwcrawford
Member for Life

Getting the heck out of town.

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2009, 03:28:58 PM »

omg, tell me that's  joke...

Come to think of it, nothing is funny anymore.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2009, 03:32:49 PM »

Dw...the catheter is really no big deal.  I felt a little pressure when they put it in...and a little pressure when they took it out.  Never gave me a problem while I had it. (Gotta love lidocaine)

Now, man up and get this stuff done....so you'll be here to keep us smiling for a long time to come!  :2thumbsup;

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2009, 03:35:15 PM »

Yes, lidocaine....I asked for a doggie bag of that but nooooo.......and DW...I'm really bad at measurements but Saul is happy about that........    >:D

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2009, 03:36:41 PM »

thanks wenchie... hey you have a new picture...almost didn't recognize you.  Two week from yesterday is the day but don't expect me to be a man about it.  I am a wimp but I won't wimp out.

Nothing that I post here is intended for fact but rather for exploration into my personal thought processes.  Any slight, use of words with multiple connotations or other percieved insults are totally unintended.  I reserve my insults for private.
Wenchie58
Elite Member

Always carrying the big silly grin!

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2009, 03:38:23 PM »

I have faith in you DW...you're gonna do fine.  You will also have some interesting stories for us afterward....of that I AM sure!

Live your life in such a way that when your feet hit the floor in the morning Satan shudders and says "Oh s**t, she's awake!"

Right nephrectomy 1963
Diagnosed ESRD 2007
"Listed" summer 2007
Transplant 3/6 match  10/24/08
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2009, 03:39:14 PM »

Gma, I thought that was men who measured like that....

G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #31 on: April 08, 2009, 03:48:54 PM »

Actually all the men in my life taught me....and I raised 2 sons...you learn a lot.   :rofl;

ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
GOD IS GOOD
TynyWonder

Calvin

« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2009, 09:18:08 PM »

I'm really bad at measurements but Saul is happy about that........    >:D

:rofl; :rofl; :rofl;    ur funny G-ma!   cute!

Diagnosed with ESRD-November 2006
I have had 2 fistuals-neither one worked
I have had 2 grafts the last one finally "took"
I had 3 different catheters from Nov. 06 - Dec. 08
Got on the transplant list - Halloween Day 2008

You can easily judge the character of others by how they treat those who they think can do nothing for them.    I BELIEVE THIS TO BE SOOOOO TRUE!
Tinah1968
Elite Member

ME

« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2009, 05:13:30 AM »

You guys make me laugh every morning...  :rofl;

Tina
Fistula Oct 2007
Started Dialysis May 22, 2009
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #34 on: April 09, 2009, 12:03:50 PM »

DW, you are going to do fine.  You certainly have become an important part of this family.  Your sense of humor help all of us.  Wenchie and G-ma are going to keep you in line.  I will hold your hand and tell you eveything is going to be fine.  What a group!   :rofl;

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #35 on: April 09, 2009, 12:35:13 PM »

Thanks Paris.... when I start on here I was certain I was NOT going to do it.  After  I got to know   some of the people I felt more confident.  I  also have confidence in my  doctors and it looks like the center is going to be tolerable.   I am looking for laptops, cell phones, etc. as we speak.  I have enough things lined up to keep me entertain for several months.  Plus, with a laptop I can keep tabs on all you girls. 

You always say the most conforting things.  Thank you.

BigSteve

« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2009, 01:00:29 PM »

dw: Is this going to be a neck or chest catheter? I had a neck catheter in for a week after
my original fistula clotted and it was very uncomfortable. Then my surgeon put in a new fistula and
exchanged the neck catheter for a chest catheter which was fine and comfortable until the new
fistula matured. I won't tell you the story of taking the chest catheter out, but I would advise you
to have it removed by the same surgeon who put it in.

"I yam what I yam what I yam." Popeye's immortal words.
"Getting and spending we lay waste our powers"
If it's too big to fail, it's too big to exist.
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2009, 01:16:50 PM »

The neck according to the nephrologist... but I haven't seen the Surgeon yet.   I'll ask and relay your  concerns.  I will insist on the same surgeon  as you suggested.

G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2009, 04:55:57 PM »

Paris...I can see it now...you patting DWs hand, telling him it's all going to be ok while Wenchie and I attach the straps from the huge human slingshot around DWs chest and yelling Twirl, push the release button....yahhoooo......what a ride........   :rofl;

ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
GOD IS GOOD
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2009, 04:59:54 PM »

I would have them done at the same time too. Knocked out once and its all over.    :cuddle;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
MIbarra
Elite Member

Stopping to smell the bluebonnets

« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2009, 06:49:05 PM »

I had them both done at the same time, went home for a day or two, and then went back to the hospital for 2 days and started dialysis. My doctor told me she preferred patients be in the hospital for their first couple of treatments just to be safe. Everything went fine and I was out in the two days!

Cadaver transplant April 29, 2007
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2009, 07:14:22 PM »

thanks.  that's sort of what he was saying except i'm to stay in the hospital those two days.  Also he is going to have the nurses, etc. come but and get me oriented to the following week.  I wish it were not to get it over with.  Bigsteve says the cather in the neck area wasn't comfortable.  mmm.   

But I am more tired, sleepier than ever and I'm having flu lick symptoms -- light but a little strange. 

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2009, 06:47:05 AM »

as others have said it is not unusual to have a catheter and fistula done at the same time - I have seen plenty of them come through our unit. The thing is the fistula will take AT LEAST a month and probably 6 weeks to mature and be useable, so if you're really being effected by the kidney failure (like you said being extra tired etc) it seems he wants to get you started ASAP so you need the dialysis in his estimation.

I am confident you will be fine. I know it is scary but they will take good care of you - and so will we! :)

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2009, 06:59:23 AM »

Hey Richard.... when have you been?  Are you OK?  I've been missing all your good advise and encouragement and you are absolutelyl right about this.  I'm going to be fine.  Afterwards you might have to explain more of the terminology to me.  By the way, I'll be getting the first treatment in the hospital but some of the staff from the dialylsis center will come and get me oriented.

Dan

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2009, 07:02:42 AM »

Hey Richard.... when have you been?  Are you OK?  I've been missing all your good advise and encouragement and you are absolutelyl right about this.  I'm going to be fine.  Afterwards you might have to explain more of the terminology to me.  By the way, I'll be getting the first treatment in the hospital but some of the staff from the dialylsis center will come and get me oriented.

Dan

oh I'm still around... just taking it easy... and trying to get a girl to go to a movie with me - that's harder work than dialysis!!  :rofl;

Having some of the staff coming to orient you is FANTASTIC!!! Oh my gosh I've never heard of that. They must like you!! :) Awesome. I never had anything like that. My first experience was when I walked in the door and they said "OK weigh yourself.. now sit very quietly while we stick you!" - OK I am kiddinf there.. they were great, but I never had anything like what you're describing - and thta sounds really good - specially so you get to know and trust them and are introduced to everything you need to know. Sounds like a great start!

27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #45 on: April 10, 2009, 09:19:08 AM »

Just been wondering about you as I haven't see notes from you lately.  Question, Richard:  what would you do if all the women you flirt with were to show up at your door  all at one time?

Wallyz

« Reply #46 on: April 10, 2009, 09:31:19 AM »

I imagine something along the lines of "Come in ladies, make yourselves comfortable!"
Beth35

« Reply #47 on: April 10, 2009, 09:45:48 AM »

I had my fistula done first because they thought I had time for it to heal before I needed to begin dialysis.  But things didn't go as planned and I ended up in the hospital in intensive care due to really high bp that would not come down.  When they released me I made the appointment to have the catheter done.  Both procedures were outpatient procedures however I had to be awake for the chest catheter.  I forget why but I had to be awake.  They gave me something to numb the pain of course and all I felt was pressure.  I had no idea what they were putting in me.  When they took it out I was SHOCKED at how damn long that thing was!  I almost passed out.  LOL!  My mom said she was a bit queasy when they put it in.  But no pain. 

Found out I had kidney disease when I was 15.
Started dialysis when I was 20.
Got a kidney transplant when I was 25.
Kidney failed at 37 and I began my second journey on dialysis.
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2009, 05:45:52 PM »

Just been wondering about you as I haven't see notes from you lately.  Question, Richard:  what would you do if all the women you flirt with were to show up at your door  all at one time?

Well... I'd ...

1. Faint from surprise

2. After I came to I'd invite them in

3. I'd call the unit and ask for an emergency dose of Aranesp (EPO)  :rofl;

4. I'd set up one of those "take a number" machines outside my bedroom door. Right next to it I'd put a self serve bar (trust me, the ladies would need some strong spirits!)

5. I'd cancel all appointments for the next 3 weeks

:rofl;

dwcrawford
Member for Life

« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2009, 05:55:04 PM »

hehe.   sounds like a plan.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
« previous next »