I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:15:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Traveling Tips and Stories
| | |-+  Any dialysis concert goers?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Any dialysis concert goers?  (Read 5645 times)
Savemeimdtba

« on: March 30, 2009, 07:12:01 AM »

Before I ended up on dialysis, I used to LOVE to go to shows.  I was front row at all of them and traveled all across the country to see my favorite bands (examples: Lifehouse, Jack's Mannequin, Matt Nathanson, etc.).  Most shows I attend don't have seats (that would be nice!) Just a crowd of people all huddled together towards the front.   I haven't been to a show since July of last year (before dialysis) and I'm planning to get started again this summer.  I don't think I'll be doing front row.. since it can get pushy up there and I don't want my PD catheter to get damaged or hurt.  I'm a little scared to get out there and start doing the things I love again... the past few months have been about just trying to live and now that I'm feeling better I'm really frightened of something happening again. 

I'm going to take it slow and try to chill in the back (which is really hard for me :P) and just enjoy myself.  I worry about running out of energy to stand.. or getting dizzy but I guess I'll have to address that if it comes up.  Does anyone else here love to attend concerts? Here's a list of what I'm thinking about going to this summer:

April 16th - Matt Nathanson - Spartanburg, SC
May 2nd - Matt Nathanson / Jack’s Mannequin - Atlanta, GA
June 6th - Lifehouse - Myrtle Beach, SC
June 12th - Jack’s Mannequin / The Fray - Atlanta, GA
June 25th - Dane Cook - Columbia, SC

I obviously won't be going to all of them (not made of money these days!) but a few I think would definitely bring some life back to me and make me feel somewhat normal again. 

-Kristi-
12/2008 - Began Hemodialysis
03/2009 - Began P.D.

"You gotta swim, swim for your life, swim for the music that saves you when you're not so sure you'll survive"
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 02:48:27 PM »

I love to do the normal things in life. Concerts sound great! Go baby go!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 05:36:52 PM »

I agree with Kitkatz.   :2thumbsup;   Go and do all you can.

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Savemeimdtba

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 08:28:34 AM »

Thanks guys :)

-Kristi-
12/2008 - Began Hemodialysis
03/2009 - Began P.D.

"You gotta swim, swim for your life, swim for the music that saves you when you're not so sure you'll survive"
Brianna!

I met adam lambert for my make a wish!

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 12:11:47 AM »

:bump;

I love going to concerts! I don't like being up in the front, because people push and I don't want them to do something to my fistula. Even before I got my fistula, I didn't like to be up in front, because everyone pushed.

I just had my fistula surgery (the second part, that caused my big scar) and my arm was bandaged up, and I still went to concerts! I just stayed towards the sides. But this one girl pushed my arm, because I guess I was in her way, so my aunt (who was very drunk, by then) dumped her beer on her head! So the girl stormed off, and I didn't have any other problems during that show!

I just wear longer sleaved t-shirts, when I go to shows. It covers up most of my scar. But I really don't care about it showing at concerts. Because no one will notice it, really!
fc2821
Elite Member

Just another hamster on the dialysis W.O.F.

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2010, 11:57:34 AM »

I agree with Kitkatz.   :2thumbsup;   Go and do all you can.

Me too. I always try to do thing as "normal" as I'm able.  Get out there enjoy your life, it sucks if you don't.   :bestwishes;

In center hemo dialysis since Feb 14, 2007. 

If I could type properly, I'd be dangerous!

You may be only one person in the universe but you may mean the the universe to someone else.
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 04:12:58 AM »

I agree with everyone else.. GO!  I'm going to Micheal Buble in Ottawa next month.  As long as you feel up to it, don't let dialysis stop you from doing anything.  Just because you are on dialysis doesn't mean you can't have a life

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
Beth35

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 06:12:57 AM »

I had that same fear when I was on dialysis the first time.  I was only 20 and all my friends and my boyfriend were out doing things that I feared a little bit because of my condition.  I was afraid of the heat and having to stand and possibly needing medical attention.  And like you said, many of the concerts were far away.  But I decided to bring a little tiny fold up chair with me to concerts where there were no seats.  My boyfriend and their friends actually thought it was cool and wish they had their own.  It literally had no back and was just big enough for your butt.  It was a tiny thing - so easy to carry.  So if I got tired in line, I just popped it up and sat down.  And then when we got into the arena or field I would pop it up again and sit on it instead of having to stand.

I went to see "Live" and "Bush" as well as "Green Day" and others.  It was so much fun!

Found out I had kidney disease when I was 15.
Started dialysis when I was 20.
Got a kidney transplant when I was 25.
Kidney failed at 37 and I began my second journey on dialysis.
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 07:53:44 AM »

I have been to a number of shows since my kidneys failed.  I had to walk to the side and have a little sit for a moment at a couple of them but then went right back in.  Definitely go.  I LOVE live music.  I have been to hundreds of concerts.
 :guitar:
Riki
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 07:35:53 PM »

I went to The Colbert Report in NYC in May, and what they do is make you stand in line for 2 hours before they even let you inside, and once you're in, they squeeze everyone into this little holding area and they squeeze everyone in like sardines.  They kind of made us stay there another 45 minutes or so while they rehearse and do rewrites for the show.  My legs started getting tired while in there, so I just sat on the floor.  I used to hate getting down on the ground or on the floor, cuz I usually needed someone to pick me back up again, but I've worked on that, and I can get up on my own now without any help.  So when they finally called to let us into the studio that you actually see on tv (or as I call it, the inner sanctum of Mecca. *LOL*) it was nothing for me to get up and go in, except I had to put my shoes back on. *G*

Dialysis - Feb 1991-Oct 1992
transplant - Oct 1, 1992- Apr 2001
dialysis - April 2001-May 2001
transplant - May 22, 2001- May 2004
dialysis - May 2004-present
PD - May 2004-Dec 2008
HD - Dec 2008-present
YLGuy
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 08:31:16 PM »

Very cool.  The fact that you went to The Colbert Report.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »