I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 10, 2024, 12:18:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Centers
| | |-+  My new dialysis center SUCKS!!!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: My new dialysis center SUCKS!!!  (Read 16463 times)
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« on: March 26, 2009, 01:28:05 PM »

:rant; I was finally transferred to my new clinic this week (on Monday), and it is horrible! I think they were trying to kill me! I can not run any higher than a 250 pump speed and 600 dialysate without major problems. The new clinic has their own protocols and ran me at 350 speed and 800 dialysate. They fought me the whole way too. I started with a BP of 185/105, yet only half way through, I crashed bad. They stopped pulling off fluid (which wasn't even close to what is normally taken off), yet my BP kept going down, to the point where it hit 60/44 and I told them to take me off the machine. I was sick, had a horrible headache and leg cramps (I have never crashed that bad before). By the time i got home, every muscle and joint in my body hurt like hell. My back was spasming so bad, I was on the floor in tears. I had to take 2 vicodin to stop the pain. I was like this, including vomiting until my Wednesday treatment, but things were getting better. I had to have Greg call the dialysis center  and yell at them. After that, they decided to change me back to normal treatment. The fact that I called Davita to see if I could switch to them may have helped too (Davita called them to get my info). I was in this condition until Wednesday morning. Then I had to go back!!

Everything seemed to be going much better yesterday. They didn't take any fluid off. But then again, I hadn't been able to keep anything down since monday morning and I hadn't gained any weight at all. As soon as I left, my headache came back, as did the intense muscle aches and back spasms. I don't know what the hell they are doing to me, but geez. I've spent the last 3 days either in severe pain, crying, sleeping or vomiting. I don't know how much more of this I can take.

This center also sucks because they do not have wireless internet access (or any internet for that matter). Nor do they have cable tv. All they have are 3 local channels, one of which is mostly snow. My chair is located in a corner, facing a closet! I would love to read, but I can barely read a sentence before my brain feels like it's getting foggy and I can't comprehend what I'm reading.

I want to switch so bad!! I called Davita, hoping to switch, but I later found out my insurance doesn't cover them. We have 2 companies that provide dialysis anywhere around here (except for the hospital where I started)--Davita, and the company that owns the one I'm at (owned by the same hospital I just mentioned too). And I can't do home hemo because the only place that offers it is the Davita clinic. Arrrgghhh!!!   :rant;

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 01:56:37 PM »

I'm sorry  :boxing; in the eye next time they don't listen

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theres is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:3-9
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 02:18:16 PM »

Sounds like a torcher chamber. How do they get away with this?

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 03:38:28 PM »

I am so sorry
hope it gets better
you deserve so much more
sorry about all the pain and I know how it hurts like hell :bunny:
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 04:54:43 PM »

Check with a nephrologist..they should be able to push any dialysis center to any insurance...this sounds crazy....Sounds like you are having the same dialysis problems I had when I started in ND...my partner says all the patients used to crawl out of there hanging onto the railings.  I have never heard an insurance not covering a dialysis center   :Kit n Stik;

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
Stacy Without An E

God's Action Figure

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 05:38:14 PM »

One thing I've learned about having your treatment done properly is you must speak up when things are affecting you so dramatically.  You should proud that you had the courage to at least have someone speak on your behalf to get them under control.

Of all the stories I've read about Davita on IHD (always fortunate to have avoided them) it seems they live in Bizarro Dialysis World.  They have no intent on treating patients properly, just shuffling them in and out so they can get their next check.  That was proved by calling another clinic and having them attempt to transfer your medical files.  Good move.

I was tired of being forced to listen to the TV of the patient next to me, so I wrote the clinic manager explaining what a safety hazard this was for everyone.  A month later and you now can't hear the TV's without headphones.

The clinic is there for you, not the other way around.  They may want to calll you "bitch" or "pain in the ass" but let them.  Its not their life on call everyday, only their job.

Stacy Without An E

1st Kidney Transplant: May 1983
2nd Kidney Transplant: January 1996
3rd Kidney Transplant: Any day now.

The Adventures of Stacy Without An E
stacywithoutane.blogspot.com

Dialysis.  Two needles.  One machine.  No compassion.
Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 05:56:37 PM »

If I remember right, you have BC/BS insurance. If things do not improve, you have to self advocate yourself to your insurance so you can go to a center they do not cover in your area which only sounds like  you have 2 outpatient. If you fight with the insurance, they usually make a specialexemption for you to go there. Explain to them what is going on and how it is affecting your life.

Hopefully your center improves, stays that way, or if you do move, I hope they have better ammenities.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 08:31:18 PM »

One thing I've learned about having your treatment done properly is you must speak up when things are affecting you so dramatically.  You should proud that you had the courage to at least have someone speak on your behalf to get them under control.

Of all the stories I've read about Davita on IHD (always fortunate to have avoided them) it seems they live in Bizarro Dialysis World.  They have no intent on treating patients properly, just shuffling them in and out so they can get their next check.  That was proved by calling another clinic and having them attempt to transfer your medical files.  Good move.

I was tired of being forced to listen to the TV of the patient next to me, so I wrote the clinic manager explaining what a safety hazard this was for everyone.  A month later and you now can't hear the TV's without headphones.

The clinic is there for you, not the other way around.  They may want to calll you "bitch" or "pain in the ass" but let them.  Its not their life on call everyday, only their job.

Stacy, I'm not at a Davita center. Mine is so bad, I actually want to transfer to a Davita center! I don't have any other option.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 10:39:22 PM »

The ass kicking should start immediately.  :Kit n Stik;

Good luck!

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2009, 03:55:24 PM »

:cuddle;

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

Rerun
Member for Life

Going through life tied to a chair!

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2009, 04:45:36 PM »

Call your insurance company yourself.  Don't rely on what "they" tell you.  I was once told that my insurance would not cover DaVita, but I called and they certainly DID.  I switched.  DaVita isn't the best, but they do LISTEN to you and they know if you aren't happy with them you will switch back.

You are in HELL right now and I hope things get better.  Have Greg go sit with you the whole time.  Insist on it.  They shape up when family is around.

Break down and buy a protable DVD player and get lost in the movies!   

Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2009, 10:18:08 PM »

:cuddle;   That stinks Paddbear.

I don't get the insurance crap. Do what Rerun suggested and ring them yourself.

All I can offer is {{hugs}}.

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2009, 04:15:41 PM »

Call your insurance company yourself.  Don't rely on what "they" tell you.  I was once told that my insurance would not cover DaVita, but I called and they certainly DID.  I switched.  DaVita isn't the best, but they do LISTEN to you and they know if you aren't happy with them you will switch back.

You are in HELL right now and I hope things get better.  Have Greg go sit with you the whole time.  Insist on it.  They shape up when family is around.

Break down and buy a protable DVD player and get lost in the movies!   

I did find out from my insurance company that they don't cover Davita. And I'd love to have Greg there with me, but he has to work. I go MWF at 11:30. Plus, they don't allow anyone except patients in the treatment area.

dialysisbiller

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 02:49:03 AM »

that is terrible. I hope it gets better for you.

did the DaVita clinic tell you that they don't take your insurance? they will have a specialized registration rep to go over your insurance plan and verify your coverage directly with the insurance, it's possible that they don't cover it but most BCBS plans are ok with DaVita. send me an IM if you don't get anywhere on your own :)

in the meantime, take care ... best wishes to you.
hurlock1

THIS MEMBER IS BANNED FROM IHD

« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 12:17:53 PM »

I can't believe that they treat you so badly. I think that I've got it bad at my center. The people are so nice , except for the nurse practitioner ( I could rant about her for hours, days, weeks!) They ask me every 30 min if I'm doing ok. The TV is satellite. I've even thought about complaining that they don't have channels that they don't have, but after hearing about your TV I think that I'll keep my mouth shut.  I've been on dialysis for a year and I've learned a little. But what I learned today ias how good I've got it at my center. It's a Fresenius facility. I really don't know about other centers. 
Brightsky69

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 01:50:13 PM »

Davita ain't much better.

Transplant June 11, 1991 (1st time) my mom's kidney
Received my 2nd kidney transplant Oct. 19th 2010.
paddbear0000
Elite Member

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 08:08:30 PM »

Things have gotten somewhat better thankfully. I just don't even bother turning the tv on. My husband puts movies and tv series on my laptop which keeps me entertained most of the time. My battery only lasts about 2 hours if I watch video, so the rest of the time I read magazines. I bought a memory foam cushion to sit on, so my pain is gone.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2009, 07:32:16 PM »

That's good about the pain, sucks about battery life though and a extra battery cost a lot too.

Diabetes -  age 7

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

McJetter

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2009, 01:41:43 PM »

http://www.medicare.gov/Publications/Pubs/pdf/10128.pdf - This link talks about Medicaid for ESRD patients on kidney dialysis - If you are on dialysis you should be covered under Medicaid no matter what age you are.  So you're private insurance shouldn't be the deciding factor.  Hope this helps and good luck to you!
kidneyless_In_PA

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 10:13:54 AM »

I been on dialysis almost a year now. My dialysis center is a Fresenius center. It is also has on the sign BMA OF POTTSVILLE. I read the post about other centers and I never seen what is going on at mine anywhere else. This girl started dialysis about 2-3 months ago and her boyfriend likes to cause trouble. The first time he did I was home sick. He didn't know I wasn't there and he asked another girl who is on first shift to sit by him cause he said I flirt with him (I don't)  and if this girl don't sit by him I will sit there. Ok a bunch of told the lady in charge of the center and they talked to him and gave him a warning. Then on June 11,2009 I was rushed to the hospital because I was almost dead, the put me in critical care unit, he didn't know most of it or cared. So while I was fighting for my life he put it around dialysis center that this old guy and I are having a sexual affair. Well the lady said they can't or won't do anything to him cus nobody complained about him well I know for a fact most of everyone complained more than once. So my husband had enough and when I text him from dialysis that they aren't doing anything to him, he called her up and said since they aren't doing anything or won't do anything then he has no choice to sue them, she goes u can't sue us, he said yes he can. The guy harasses me to no end, us patients go there for our treatments and get this, he sits in the waiting room till she is done. They let him go back to where we get our treatments which is a privacy thing. A bunch of us complained and now he isn't allowed back there anymore thank goodness. It is to the point we don't want to go there and a lot of us get physically sick in our stomachs when we have to go. When I and another lady and 2 guys stand in between the doors waiting for them to open them he stands in the parking lot with his arms crossed and legs spread, we know he is trying to intimate us. One day he is gonna do what he does to make us mad and we (my click) is gonna go off on him, I told the guys I am gonna make him cry especially if he gets me when I am in a really bad mood.

Busy 3 times a week and the other 4 days so cold and weak etc.
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 10:41:09 AM »

get in touch with the owner of the center -- and tell your doctors --- file a harassment report -
dialysis is hard enough without being treated like that --- he needs to find another unit --
call the main BMA of Pottsville --
I have a better idea -- pm Nurse Hachette and she will help you -- she helped me
I don't think I spelled her name correctly but she is a member of IHD and she will help you ---

I got so mad I replied before I finshed reading your post   ------ sorry
« Last Edit: July 24, 2009, 10:42:55 AM by twirl » Logged
kidneyless_In_PA

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2009, 12:31:13 PM »

according to the dialysis center he can do what he wants, he is her support. He made the remark when they first started there that he is her support and cus our families have to work and aren't there we don't have any support... That is so wrong in my case I have a lot of friends and a husband,in fact one friend told me to smile when the diet lady yells at me, it did make her mad, I love it.. I thought GEEEZE my albumin is 3.7 and she yelled at me. my phosurous was normal limits and on weekend I only gained point 2 kelos. I think she needs to get a life. :clap;

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 09:20:46 PM »

Sounds like the cops should be involved for sexual harassment since the center is not doing a thing and they would then have to be secondary to an investigation which could make it in the news (print or TV investigation) which then would make them embarrassed. They would just hate to be in the spotlight negatively. :rofl;

And what an idiot the girlfriend is to let this happen.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012

kidneyless_In_PA

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2009, 09:55:42 AM »

today when I was there for my treatment I heard since we are suing them cus of him, they are suppose to bring in their lawyers this week coming. Sounds to me they are starting to get scared. Oh from my chair I caught him looking in the door 4 times, so much for privacy act. I am just really sick of him and his childlike behavior.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2009, 03:50:50 PM »

Sorry I don't know a guy who knows a guy who could do something  >:D:o ;D :rofl; :rofl; :rofl;

So in essence he's a peeping tom to which is a misdomeaner by law or something by law.

Grab them both by the horns of the law I say. If the center is not going to do anything, time to get the law in your hands against them both. Needs of many outweigh the needs of the few on this one. Support my  :sir ken; he is giving her.

Diabetes -  age 7

Knee Surgery 2010