I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 04:29:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I have a question for all you parents out there
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I have a question for all you parents out there  (Read 5978 times)
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« on: March 26, 2009, 10:57:18 AM »

Okay so like all of us I can't have sodium.  So I keep just about all premade stuff out of the house.  Now I have two 4 year old kids as a lot of you know. And I have been thinking a lot latley, I don't have stuff  normal kids eat.  I don't have boxed mac and cheese for them. I don't get them forzen pizza pockets, corn dogs, hot dogs for that matter.  I can't have them so I just don't get them.  Do you guys buy stuff like that for your kids?  I mean I want my little ones to be healthy of course, but I also want them to be kids.  They are healthy little ones a little  bit of sodium here and there isn't gonna kill them.  I don't know, I was just wondering if you guys keep stuff like that in your  house for your  children, or am I not all that crazy? 

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theres is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:3-9
Beth35

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2009, 11:19:49 AM »

I have a three and four year old at home and although I buy healthy food for them to eat, I still buy them snacks that I can't have.  I don't give it to them all that much but I do have it in the house for them.

Found out I had kidney disease when I was 15.
Started dialysis when I was 20.
Got a kidney transplant when I was 25.
Kidney failed at 37 and I began my second journey on dialysis.
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 11:29:28 AM »

Thanks Beth. Like what kind of stuff do you buy them to have?  Everything I get them is ogranic and all natural.  I think I might go a little far. But I do get them like little fruit snaks and stuff. 

Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.

Beth35

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 11:54:17 AM »

I have to say that my kids enjoy eating fruit for snacks.  So I buy them lots of different fruits.  They also like things like cheese.  I will get crackers and put cheese on them.  When I buy them "treats" I will get them pretzels or potato chips but I won't eat them.  Sometimes I will buy them animal crackers or ice pops.  I buy cookies and cupcakes every few months but hardly ever.  I will take them to McDonalds once in a while too.  Fruit snacks once in a while as they are bad for teeth.  They also like carrots and celery with cream cheese on it. 

My kids actually prefer fruit over junk food. 

MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2009, 11:56:35 AM »

Mine do too.  So I usually don't think about it much.  I was just thinking that maybe its only cause they don't get that kind of stuff..  Well thanks, I don't feel all that bad  now. 

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2009, 12:39:57 PM »

your children are learning healthy eating habits at such an early age -
what a good example you are giving your children
you should be proud of yourself
I am proud of you
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 12:49:07 PM »

Twirl I missed you! And thank  you.  I am proud, I think its good.  Haha. I just feel like a mean momma sometimes.  Don't let my kids have hot dogs.  I hear that is worng. 

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 01:01:20 PM »

I missed you also
do you know what goes into those weiners
I don't know but Lord, I have heard some awful rumors

MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 01:06:29 PM »

Haha yes I have heard all those awful rumors too. I personally don't like hot dogs, never have.  Yes I am one of those weird kids. But my kids do. I have been told it is un American not to like hot dogs, and super un American not to let your children eat them either.

Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2009, 01:13:41 PM »

My kids will eat veggies if they are cut up and easy to grab. I don't see anything wrong with a treat once in a while.
rose1999
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2009, 02:28:46 PM »

I think you're doing a great job, there are too many children eating unhealthy food, the more healthy their diet the better chance they have of growing into healthy adults - well done Manda  :thumbup;
Sunny
Elite Member

Sunny

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2009, 02:37:08 PM »

Teach them young how to eat healthy and it will last their lifetime. I did the same for my kids and they are now 18 and 19 yrs old.
However, I must admit, I do allow them some junk food now and then: Hot Pockets, chips, boxed mac & cheese. I rarely eat this myself but I don't see why they should have to have my own dietary standards imposed on them relentlessly.
(p.s., they are perfectly healthy and of normal weight).

Sunny, 49 year old female
 pre-dialysis with GoodPastures
Beth35

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2009, 04:17:10 PM »

Yeah, my kids have hot dogs every now and again.  As long as they eat healthy most of the time I feel good about that.  With our without my health problems, I told myself that I would not let my kids eat a ton of junk food simply because of them possibly becoming overweight.  I am a teacher and I see so many little ones who are really big and it's tough on kids like that.  Not just health wise but socially.

MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2009, 04:22:54 PM »

Yeah I was a fat kid.  And it brakes my heart to think of my kids having to go through that.  So I try really hard to keep them healthy and active now. 

kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 08:49:45 PM »

Let them have healthy snacks. It is good for them to learn these things early so they do not have to struggle with weight or food issues.

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2009, 01:18:47 PM »

I think that we often tend to like the foods we grow up with as they are familiar and comforting. Stick with the healthy foods Manda (and all you others with little ones) your kids' health will make it all worth it.

We have a godson from France who came here for 3 years in a row starting at 13 to spend time with us in the summer.  When the North American kids wanted boxed Mac and Cheese he was excited to try it but immediately spat it out and said how to him it tasted sweet and nothing like real cheese of which he eats a wide variety and every day.  He also found bread to be sweet and crackers and lots of other things.  He taught the kids here to try his version of grilled cheese, involving a chunk of french bread, split down the middle, topped with a slice of ham then slices of aged white cheddar and broiled.  They soon were all saying that the North American grilled cheese sandwiches were greasy and yucky.  He also needed to have a salad at every meal, with a variety of greens and only homemade vinaigrette as he found bottled dressings to be too sweet again.  The first summer he fell in love with potato chips and root beer, ate too much and gained weight but the next year he refused to eat much of that stuff because his friends told him he was starting to be pudgy and they teased him about being "an American (or Canadian for that matter) tourist" meaning that he was overweight.  He did fall in love with submarine sandwiches from Subway but was disgusted by the hot ones.
It was also very striking how much more Sam knew about different fruits and veggies (eggplant, pomegranates, fennel, as just a few examples) and he often talked about all the chemicals and unpronounceable ingredients in frozen pizza or other things at the store.  He always went food shopping with me and had strong opinions. He often asked why people didn't make their own pizza since his Mom made it and it was considered a fast meal to prepare.  She bought the dough from the bakery and whipped it up in a flash.  He liked my meals but his one big complaint was that I wasn't very good in the dessert department although I did one or two things that he liked enough to get the recipes.  When we went cheese shopping he was amazed at the huge selection of processed cheeses here and he called them "industrial" cheeses which were to be avoided in favour of smaller production, more local varieties.  Thank goodness Quebec supplies Ontario with some good cheeses.
He asked me to make a Tabbouleh salad once and so I started with a boxed version to which I add a lot of fresh ingredients, way more that required by the box's recipe.  I've always liked it but Sam was appalled and called his Dad to get the entirely fresh version, a bit more work but in the end I have to admit it was better tasting.
I was completely amazed at all this stuff coming from a 13 year old kid but having experienced the French way of food shopping and eating, I can't say I blame him.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2009, 03:49:00 PM »

Beth, I wish my parents had given me healthier eating habits!  I don't think there's anything wrong with not buying them junk.  They will certainly be exposed to enough of it when they get older, so why feel guilty now?  You buy them some treats, and take them to McD's once in a while, so it's not like you are obsessing over every bite they eat - you are just feeding them the food they should be eating.  (When you become the mom who has to bring special food for her kid to all the birthday parties so they don't eat a bite of birthday cake, then you know you have a problem!) 

If my mother had done that, instead of stocking the house with an endless supply of chips and doughnuts, and giving me candy as a reward for every good thing I did, I might not have the issues I do with eating and weight control I've got now.

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2009, 04:58:53 PM »

My son managed to grow up without eating a bunch of junk food.  If he complained I always nicely explained to him that he was building a body that he would have to rely on for the rest of his life and that my job as his mother was to ensure that it was built with quality parts.  8)

Now he calls me from college to tell me that his misses my cooking and sometimes has cravings for broccoli or soy milk.  :bow;  He doesn't eat much candy, doesn't drink soda and is generally not into junk food. 

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2009, 03:44:03 PM »

My son managed to grow up without eating a bunch of junk food.  If he complained I always nicely explained to him that he was building a body that he would have to rely on for the rest of his life and that my job as his mother was to ensure that it was built with quality parts.  8)

Now he calls me from college to tell me that his misses my cooking and sometimes has cravings for broccoli or soy milk.  :bow;  He doesn't eat much candy, doesn't drink soda and is generally not into junk food. 
:2thumbsup;

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Jill D.

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2009, 06:53:13 PM »

MandyMe - I wish more parents fed their kids such healthy food. Good for you (and good for them!!)  :thumbup; :thumbup; :thumbup;

Diagnosed with FSGS in1990.
Started hemodialysis in April 2006.
Received a new kidney from my sister on Dec. 5, 2006.
Transplant rejection in March, 2009
Approved for second transplant in May 2009
Sister-in-law approved as donor in Dec 2009
skyedogrocks

Rob showing off his pot of gold!

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2009, 07:11:18 AM »

We have a 10 year old son and don't stock the house with a lot of foods that Rob can't eat.  Thankfully, my son loves fresh fruit, cheese sticks, yogurt.  Health stuff that even though Rob can't eat some of it, I know I am keeping my son healthy.  We have balanced dinners and I pack his lunch.  He loves my lunches so much that he prefers them over the school lunch.  His favorite is peanut butter and even though there is sodium and high calories, it's protein and I prefer that over processed luncheon meat.

His one weakness?  Chocolate chip cookies, so we allow him to have 2 cookies each day at lunchtime.  He's very active, does sports, plays outside and doesn't seek out a lot of junk food because he gets his cookie fix.

It's up to us as parents to not allow our children to become obese and not reward them with food.  Our rewards are books because he LOVES to read.  We also do not let our son play video games or watch tv during the daylight hours.  Once he comes home from school he completes his homework and then if it's not raining, he plays outside or goes to swimming or rockclimbing at the YMCA.  We don't overload his schedule, but make sure he is active enough.

Wife to Rob who is currently doing Nx Stage Home Hemo Dialysis.

11/17/09 After 4 years on dialysis, Rob received a kidney from our George.  Kidney is working great!  YEAH!!!!
bette1

My dear daughter

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2009, 05:08:04 PM »

As long as you are not overrestrictive your kids will be OK.  My mom was really into health food growing up but she became the food police and even forbade us from having birthday cake at our parties or eating junk outside of the house.  We went the opposite and now all of my brothers and sisters and I are overweight.  I think my mom should have allowed a little junk now and then and it would not have caused us to crave it so much.  just my  :twocents;

I allow my daughter to have foods that I can't have, but she is not a junk eater.  She prefers homemade burgers and the like.  She eats lots of fruits and veggies and very few sweets.  She doesn't even like chocolate!

Diagnosed with FSGS April of 1987
First Dialysis 11/87 - CAPD
Transplant #1 10/13/94
Second round of Dialysis stated 9/06 - In Center Hemo
Transplant  #2 5/24/10
jbeany
Member for Life

Cattitude

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2009, 06:40:32 PM »

Our parents have no idea how badly they are screwing us up, do they?  If my mother and her "clean plate club" only knew how hard I've fought to start recognizing when I've had enough so I'd could stop constantly overeating. . .

I used to babysit for kids whose godparents owned a candy store.  They could have candy whenever they wanted.  It was not a reward, or a treat - it was just there, and if they thought about it at all, it was just another set of chores to do - pack, wrap, ship.  If I took them into the grocery store, and gave them a dollar, they would run to the fresh fruit section and get blueberries or raspberries. 

"Asbestos Gelos"  (As-bes-tos yay-lohs) Greek. Literally, "fireproof laughter".  A term used by Homer for invincible laughter in the face of death and mortality.

pelagia
Elite Member

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2009, 07:35:08 AM »

I agree that it is not a good idea to forbid certain foods, sweets, etc.  We just kept them out of the house most of the time.  My son always had an easter basket and went to birthday parties, ate sweets on the holidays, etc.  We did not use sweets as a reward and I did not like when the teachers did that.  I am going to his race this weekend and he asked me to bring his favorite cookies (I use 1/2 whole wheat pastry flour with 1/2 white flour and cut the sugar by half; the cookies also have white chocolate chips, dried cranberries and nuts so they are sweet enough) And he also asked me to bring a fruit salad  8)

As for me, I'll borrow this thought: "Having never experienced kidney disease, I had no idea how crucial kidney function is to the rest of the body." - KD
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2009, 10:25:50 AM »

Thanks everyone.  I agree with what a lot of you guys  have said. And I want my children to be healthy.  They are very actvie now and I want to keep it that way.  I just didn't know if I was taking it a little to far with not having stuff in the house.  And they do get treats every once and a while. It isn't like I never give them stuff, I just don't keep it in the house.  That way there snakes usually are fresh veggies or cheese and crackers.  So yeah thanks

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »