I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:52:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: Pre-Dialysis
| | |-+  Starting Dialysis: What You Need to Know
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Starting Dialysis: What You Need to Know  (Read 24907 times)
cassandra
Elite Member

When all else fails run in circles, shout loudly

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2017, 09:48:40 AM »

My docs are watching my function and keep saying that I had to have the fistula (which clotted twice and I had to have additional procedures) but are now putting the breaks on actual dialysis. What can I do to get them to either move me to dialysis or fighting to just get me on the transplant list?

Hi bionicci is your fistula working now? And maybe introduce yourself in the introduction section so more members get to read your post.

Love, Cas

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left

1983 high proteinloss in urine, chemo, stroke,coma, dialysis
1984 double nephrectomy
1985 transplant from dad
1998 lost dads kidney, start PD
2003 peritineum burst, back to hemo
2012 start Nxstage home hemo
2020 start Gambro AK96

still on waitinglist, still ok I think
smartcookie

LMSW

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2017, 08:16:35 AM »

Hi, bionikki!  There are several things to look at when going on dialysis.  First of all, what is your GFR?  If it is under 20, in the United States at least, you can go on the transplant list.  Typically, is better to wait to go on dialysis, but not for everyone.  What sort of symptoms are you having? 

I am a renal social worker.  I am happy to help answer questions, but please talk to your clinic social worker for specifics on your particular situation.
Simon Dog
Administrator/Owner
Elite Member

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2017, 12:13:49 PM »

Typically, is better to wait to go on dialysis, but not for everyone.  What sort of symptoms are you having?
Starting PD before you really, really need D can preserve residual function a bit longer.  If you are considering PD, discuss this issue with your neph.

When I started PD, I was told "Now is a good time to start PD; if you were going on HD we would wait a bit longer".
irvinsen5

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2018, 07:50:54 PM »

Great info!
Charlie B53
Elite Member

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2018, 01:56:03 PM »

While my kineys were still at 20%, NO sickness at all, but my legs had already been massively swelling every day, leaking clear fluid from my shins, running down soaking my socks and shoes.  I would occasionally get a terrible infection in either leg at the leaky site(s) which would turn the whole leg bright red, run my temp up to 104 and land me in the hospital.

Dr's kept telling me I had to quit work, stay at home with my legs raised. I was forced to go on disability.

Almost a year later I asked my Neph if Dialysis would reduce the swelling.  He told me it would, so I started PD.  Lost 40 pounds of water weight within that first week.  My legs began to look near normal sized once again.  Haven't leaked again.

Vegetarian isn't the only survival diet.  Google 'Renal Diet' and check out both Fresenius and DaVita as both companies have series of cookbooks on their websites for renal patients.  Literally whole libraries of low phosphorus and low potassium foods catering to those with kidney problems. Here at IHD we have a food forum with recipes you can follow and/or give you ideas on how to modify those things you prepare to make them more renal friendly.

Take Care,

Charlie B53

Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
« previous next »