I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 06, 2024, 08:20:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  I am rejecting my artificial kidney!!!!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: I am rejecting my artificial kidney!!!!  (Read 9542 times)
Lucinda

Life is great!

« on: March 25, 2009, 12:33:19 AM »

Went to my neph today and it seems I am allergic - and rejecting - my artificial kidney so they are going to try me on a new type but they say in rare conditions some people can be allergic to dialysis.  That could prove to be a tad unfortunate. :sarcasm;  Personally, I have never heard of that before.  Evidently you can be allergic to the fibres in the kidney. Anyhow, I am going to cut my hours for the next few treatments and see if the reduced time helps eliminate the reaction I am having during the treatment.  I rang RichardMel up to let him know what was going on and he said it could only happen to me!  Anyhow, I will go back tomorrow and see what the new day brings.  My neph is now REALLY pushing transplant.  I don't want a transplant so this could get really interesting!!  I'll keep you in the loop.  Much love - Cindy. xx
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2009, 12:40:31 AM »

Well yes Lucinda of course it could only happen to you my dear. You are this amazing, wonderful person who somehow.. life likes to throw curve balls at (mmmm curves... oops, I got distracted  :rofl;) - and so far you've come through all the trials and tribulations pretty darn well it seems!!! Amazingly well I think!! So I am almost NOT surprised this seems to be going on. I mean who could go on dialysis, have 600ml taken off and come off 2 KILOS over??!! I mean.. what the...???? In a bizarre way it's quite funny really. I know it is serious too.. but as you said on the phone "You're supposed to get a transplant and reject the kidney.. not get on dialysis and reject the kidney" (dialyser I think they're talking about - the artificial kidney). Do you know what type they have been using and what type they will try? I use a FX-80, and sometimes FX-100 (a big one.. you know what they say about guys with big.. dialysers....) Anyhoo how interesting.

At least you can NEVER claim your life is dull, uninteresting and nothing ever happens!! I mean you had your house flood, roof fell in with workman on your bed, you've had all kinds of ups and downs medically with your graft, medications and so on, and now you're rejecting dialysis (but aparently doing better without it anyway). I mean WHAT IS NEXT???? I'd almost propose to you just for the amusement factor of it all, but I forget you're already married!!  :rofl;

Please keep us updated as this "adventure" unfolds. Who knows you may wind up being some PhD case study or even better still the beginning of a dialysis cure!!! :)  :bow; :bow; :bow; :bow; :bow; :bow;

3/1993: Diagnosed with Kidney Failure (FSGS)
25/7/2006: Started hemo 3x/week 5 hour sessions :(
27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

BE POSITIVE * BE INFORMED * BE PROACTIVE * BE IN CONTROL * LIVE LIFE!
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2009, 12:44:18 AM »

Oh Cindy.... Only you could be allergic to dialysis!! I have never heard of that before either.    :cuddle;

Are there more than one type of filter they could try? There must be more than just one.

I know you are adverse to having a tube hanging out of your stomach..... but what about giving PD a go. Even if you think of it as a short term solution. PD really is OK. The tube sucks thats a given but you do get use to it.

Sending hugs. Dialysis is tricky enough without this added crap.   :cuddle;

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
charee
Elite Member

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 02:11:45 AM »

When i did my training we had 2 people allergic to the dialysers , they changed them to a more expensive one  apparently they start us off with the cheaper one and see how we go , i went fine on the cheaper one so hang in there  a different one might make all the difference :cuddle;

Home Hemo  18 months
Live donor transplant 28th October 2008
from my beautiful sister
Royal Prince Alfred Sydney Australia

Live donors rock
Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 02:51:42 AM »

Thanks guys....and of course RichardMel it is the FX80 that I am allergic to.  They are trying a new one tomorrow so I will let you know what it is.  They have a doctor coming over tomorrow for my whole session so I thought that was pretty good of them to organise that.  I am dropping back to two hours this week and up to three next week but they are keeping me at three hours for a few weeks to get me back into the swing of things.  Hey Richard...you thought you were safe thinking of proposing to a married woman didn't you.  Hey, being the first renal bigamist is quite appealing. Just think...now I am becoming a wiz at priming and needling you could have dialysis at home.  Hey....come back here.....I haven't finished....... :rofl; 
Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 02:56:17 AM »

By the way I forgot to mention that it isn't all bad.  My potassium was really low so I stuffed my face tonight with hot chips and banana sandwiches followed by a huge bar of chocolate.  Gross I know but the best thing is that I did it with my neph's blessing. 
Zach
Elite Member

"Still crazy after all these years."

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 03:02:58 AM »

There are several types of dialysis filters (dialyzers) available--some more biocompatible than others.  And the type of sterilization used in the manufacturing process can bring about reactions.

Here's just one study:
http://ndt.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/18/7/1370

Also, several years ago there were allergic reactions to the AN69 Filter by patients taking ACE inhibitors (BP medication).

8)

Uninterrupted in-center (self-care) hemodialysis since 1982 -- 34 YEARS on March 3, 2016 !!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
No transplant.  Not yet, anyway.  Only decided to be listed on 11/9/06. Inactive at the moment.  ;)
I make films.

Just the facts: 70.0 kgs. (about 154 lbs.)
Treatment: Tue-Thur-Sat   5.5 hours, 2x/wk, 6 hours, 1x/wk
Dialysate flow (Qd)=600;  Blood pump speed(Qb)=315
Fresenius Optiflux-180 filter--without reuse
Fresenius 2008T dialysis machine
My KDOQI Nutrition (+/ -):  2,450 Calories, 84 grams Protein/day.

"Living a life, not an apology."
RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2009, 03:24:46 AM »

Thanks guys....and of course RichardMel it is the FX80 that I am allergic to.  They are trying a new one tomorrow so I will let you know what it is.  They have a doctor coming over tomorrow for my whole session so I thought that was pretty good of them to organise that.  I am dropping back to two hours this week and up to three next week but they are keeping me at three hours for a few weeks to get me back into the swing of things.  Hey Richard...you thought you were safe thinking of proposing to a married woman didn't you.  Hey, being the first renal bigamist is quite appealing. Just think...now I am becoming a wiz at priming and needling you could have dialysis at home.  Hey....come back here.....I haven't finished....... :rofl;

Yes well that figures.. you're alergic to my dialyser so you're alergic to ME!!!! hmm you want to prime my machine and needle me at home?? oooh baby yeah I'll be on the next flight up... along with a few of my bikie mates!!! :)

xoxoxoxo

27/11/2010: Cadaveric kidney transplant from my wonderful donor!!! "Danny" currently settling in and working better every day!!! :)

David13
Member for Life

A meow massages the heart.

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2009, 05:14:16 AM »

I hope the new dialyzer works out, Cindy.  Sorry to hear about this.  Keep us updated.   :cuddle;

“The first human being who hurled an insult instead of a stone was the founder of civilization” - Sigmund Freud
Sluff
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2009, 06:31:44 AM »

Totally weird Cindy but I hope they get to sorting through this correctly.

I would like to hear more about how this guy was working on your house and ended up in your bed. Hmm sounds a little suspicious to me.   ;)
willieandwinnie
Elite Member

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2009, 06:52:28 AM »

Lucinda  :rofl; I just love reading your post. I hope they get stuff figured out fast. Len had problems with the kidney also and I had to flush the machine for at least 15 minutes before I hooked him up. Maybe they could try that. Please let us know how it goes.  :cuddle;

"I know there's nothing to it, but I want to know what it is there's nothing to"
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 07:21:09 AM »

That sounds maddening!  I'm so sorry, Lucinda.  I hope you get it all worked out and soon!

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 10:46:26 AM »

everytime I leave dialysis I have a headache and green sinus mucus
I am afraid to tell anyone
kellyt
Elite Member

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 11:27:34 AM »

Green mucus is never good, Twirl.  Be carefull.   :cuddle;

1993 diagnosed with glomerulonephritis.
Oct 41, 2007 - Got fistula placed.
Feb 13, 2008 - Activated on "the list".
Nov 5, 2008 - Received living donor transplant from my sister-in-law, Etta.
Nov 5, 2011 - THREE YEARS POST TRANSPLANT!  :D
G-Ma
Elite Member

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2009, 03:24:08 PM »

TWIRL....tell someone..nurse, Dr...someone......cheeeezzzzz....    :puke;

Lucinda...love your posts and unfailing sense of humor about this thing we call life.....hope the next dializer works and can we please have pictures of you "needling" RM????      :rofl;
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 05:51:22 PM by G-Ma » Logged

Lost vision due to retinopathy 12/2005, 30 Laser Surg 2006
ESRD diagnosed 12/2006
03/2007 Fantastic Eye Surgeon in ND got my sight back and implanted lenses in both eyes, great distance & low reading.
Gortex 4/07.  Started dialysis in ND 5/4/2007
Gortex clotted off Thanksgiving Week of 2007, was unclotted and promptly clotted off 1/2 hour later so Permacath Rt chest.
3/2008 move to NC to be close to children.
2 Step fistula, 05/08-elevated 06/08, using mid August.
Aug 5, 08, trained NxStage and Home on 9/3/2008.
Fistulagram 09/2008. In hospital 10/30/08, Bowel Obstruction.
Back to RAI-Latrobe In Center. No home hemo at this time.
GOD IS GOOD
kitkatz
Member for Life

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2009, 03:45:01 PM »

Found out I was allergic to certain dialyzer fibers, too in 2004.  It was fun. Fevers of 102 for six months and test after test and emergency room visits like you would not believe.   Lymph nodes inflamed.  Fevers after a dialysis run. A nurse and I finally back tracked it to a dialyzer change in the unit.  Changed me to a different one, wham- all symptoms disappeared!
Weird, huh?

lifenotonthelist.com

Ivanova: "Old Egyptian blessing: May God stand between you and harm in all the empty places you must walk." Babylon 5

Remember your present situation is not your final destination.

Take it one day, one hour, one minute, one second at a time.

"If we don't find a way out of this soon, I'm gonna lose it. Lose it... It means go crazy, nuts, insane, bonzo, no longer in possession of ones faculties, three fries short of a Happy Meal, wacko!" Jack O'Neill - SG-1
Slywalker

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 05:50:24 PM »

I must admit I learn something new every day on this forum.

Lucinda - I hope this gets straightened out soon for you - sounds like you have resceived a bunch of good info to start checking out.

Good Luck

Sandyb

:bunny:
lola
Elite Member

I can fly!!!

« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 06:23:26 PM »

Cindy my dear only UUUUUUUUUU xoxoxo

RichardMEL
Member for Life

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2009, 06:37:33 AM »

I spoke to head Dialysis nurse today (18+ years experience) and she said she'd only ever heard of this sort of thing happening once!

What can we say - Lucinda is unique... but she's our kind of unique and special!!!  :bow; :bow; :bow;

okarol
Administrator
Member for Life

Photo is Jenna - after Disneyland - 1988

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2009, 09:20:44 AM »

:grouphug; She is special!
I hope they find a better way for you Cindy!

Admin for IHateDialysis 2008 - 2014, retired.
Jenna is our daughter, bad bladder damaged her kidneys.
Was on in-center hemodialysis 2003-2007.
7 yr transplant lost due to rejection.
She did PD Sept. 2013 - July 2017
Found a swap living donor using social media, friends, family.
New kidney in a paired donation swap July 26, 2017.
Her story ---> https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
Please watch her video: http://youtu.be/D9ZuVJ_s80Y
Living Donors Rock! http://www.livingdonorsonline.org -
News video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-7KvgQDWpU
MandaMe1986
Elite Member

« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2009, 11:11:41 AM »

Wow!  Well you are very speacial  :clap;  But I do hope you guys can find something that works for you.  I would hate for transplant to have to come up if you really don't want one. Best of luck!

Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theres is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they who mourn, for they will be comforted.
Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the land.
Blessed are they whohunger and thirst for righteousness, for theywill be satisfied.
Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy.
Blessed are the clean of heart, for they will see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.

Matthew 5:3-9
glitter
Elite Member

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 12:04:50 PM »

:flower; hi

Jack A Adams July 2, 1957--Feb. 28, 2009
I will miss him- FOREVER

caregiver to Jack (he was on dialysis)
RCC
nephrectomy april13,2006
dialysis april 14,2006
deahuff

skiing in the backcountry in Alaska

« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2009, 12:15:29 PM »

Hi there,
My friend was allergic to all the dialyzers  and had to go on PD, she liked it better because she traveled for work. I have only done hemo. It sounds awful. Hopefully, a different kind works.
Good Luck,
Dea

ESRD March 96
Dialysis March to July
Transplant from Mom July 96
Transplant failed Sept 2006
Dialysis Sept 2006
New PosXmatch kidney transplant 02/24/2009 from Trevor, friend in Alaska
paddbear0000
Elite Member

Dogs & IHDer's are always glad to see you!

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2009, 12:19:44 PM »

What kinds of symptoms do you get when you have a reaction to the dialyzer Cindy? I ask because I just started at my new clinic on Monday and have been having a horrible reaction afterward that lasts for a good 24 hours or so--muscle aches, back spasm, vomiting and hot flashes.

I HAVE DESIGNED CKD RELATED PRODUCTS FOR SALE TO BENEFIT THE NKF'S 2009 DAYTON KIDNEY WALK (I'M A TEAM CAPTAIN)! CHECK IT OUT @ www.cafepress.com/RetroDogDesigns!!

...or sponsor me at http://walk.kidney.org/goto/janetschnittger
Twitter.com/NKFKidneyWalker
www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1659267443&ref=nf 
www.caringbridge.org/visit/janetschnittger

Diagnosed type 1 diabetic at age 6, CKD (stage 3) diagnosed at 28 after hospital error a year before, started dialysis February '09. Listed for kidney/pancreas transplant at Ohio State & Univ. of Cincinnati.
Lucinda

Life is great!

« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2009, 02:28:34 AM »

Hi guys....Sorry I haven't been back to you but I had to go to a writing seminar all day today.  Trying to do a million things at once per usual.  Paddbear...I am so sorry you are having such a bad reaction to your treatments.  I felt pretty much the same and just when I started to feel normal again I had to go back to the clinic for another dose.  My guess is you are also having an allergic reaction.  Are they using the same dialyser they were using at the hospital?   

Yesterday I used a new dialyser and I also took off no fluid and I had no headache and I felt terrific.  Won't really know until I use the same cocktail on Monday if all is OK but I certainly feel much better today. Sounds like Kitkatz also had the same thing happen.

Feels amazing to feel well again.  Did my needles yesterday and for the first time everything with the priming seemed to fall into place so I am in a much better place myself now.  I am starting back at the gym on Monday afternoon as they have cut my hours down to three so it gives me time to go after dialysis training.  I hope I get a bit of a break now so I can get things back to normal.  Because of the hiccups I probably won't get home for about another four - five weeks but I don't think I am going to have too many problems if all goes as well as yesterday.

Love to you all.  Cindy. xxxx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
« previous next »