I Hate Dialysis Message Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
October 07, 2024, 08:18:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
532606 Posts in 33561 Topics by 12678 Members
Latest Member: astrobridge
* Home Help Search Login Register
+  I Hate Dialysis Message Board
|-+  Dialysis Discussion
| |-+  Dialysis: General Discussion
| | |-+  How Many Transplants Have You Had?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: How Many Transplants Have You Had?  (Read 3979 times)
Beth35

« on: March 22, 2009, 02:57:39 PM »

So I just joined this forum yesterday and I was curious about how many of you had more than one transplant?  I kind of thought my transplanted kidney would last me at least 20 years.  I was hoping my kids would be a lot older so that things would be easier on me but here I am ten years later and still fairly young needing another kidney.

When I first went to get worked up so that I could be put on the list, I remember a lady coming to speak to a group of us about her transplants.  She had like five or six! :o  I wanted to cry but they assured me that technology was better now and so kidneys last longer than they did in the past.

So I'm curious.  How many transplants have you had?  What was it like being told you had to do it all over again?  Did you wait on a donor list or did you get a kidney from a family member?  I'd love to hear your stories.

Found out I had kidney disease when I was 15.
Started dialysis when I was 20.
Got a kidney transplant when I was 25.
Kidney failed at 37 and I began my second journey on dialysis.
Jess21

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 03:21:34 PM »

What info I've heard is "Average" life of a deceased donor kidney is 7 years.  Live donor tends to be averagely a little longer.  Of course, this is all averages.  My neph has seen people with transplants over 30 years and still going strong.  It all depends on your body's factors..why you have the disease, your anitbodies, etc etc etc.
I'm 22.  I haven't had a transplant yet.  I know with current medical knowledge, I'll probably have atleast 2 transplants in my life.  I can't say I'm thrilled about it, but hopefully thru biopsies and everything, doctors will be able to tell when my kidneys are failing again (if they fail again...they still can't figure out why they did in the first place!) and I'll be able to skip having dialysis again.  Only time will tell.

Hospitalized w/ renal failure- Nov. 2007
Diagnosed w/ ESRD w/ unknown cause- Jan 2008
Lower arm AV Fistula created- March 2008
On IL transplant list- Oct. 8th, 2008
On WI transplant list- June 25th, 2009
Pediatric 2 kidney transplant- July 6th, 2009 (3/6 antigen match)
Romona
Elite Member

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 03:40:11 PM »

I had one transplant, but got both kidneys. My donor was 13 months old when he died. When I first started going through all of this I was discouraged. I knew two people with transplants and met another one at my family doctors office. These people were all on the second transplant. I had no confidence that my transplant would work like it did. It will be three years in June. I have met so many people since my transplant that are doing so well. I have met people that have had multiple organs transplanted. I would do it again if I had to. I hope not. It has taken a long time to feel as well as I do. I had so many minor things crop up that I feel like I haven't had a chance to really enjoy my transplant.
bette1

My dear daughter

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 03:47:30 PM »

I had one transplant that lasted almost 12 years.  I am currently waiting for a second transplant.  I would get another transplant in a second even if it only lasted for a few years because the quality of life is soooo much better with a transplant vs dialysis.  I was only 19 when my kidneys failed so I was prepared that I would have to have multiple transplants throughout my life.  I just wish there wasn't such a shortage of organs.

Diagnosed with FSGS April of 1987
First Dialysis 11/87 - CAPD
Transplant #1 10/13/94
Second round of Dialysis stated 9/06 - In Center Hemo
Transplant  #2 5/24/10
Beth35

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 04:17:16 PM »

I was 20 when I first started dialysis and I guess my head was in the clouds because I thought I'd be old before I had to have another one.  LOL!  The thing for me is surgery scares me.  I worry about dying in surgery.  Now that I have two kids I have a whole new set of fears as I don't know who would help me take care of them while I recovery.  But one step at a time.  I'll worry about that when I get there.  I'm sure that once my kidney fails I will wait at least five years on dialysis.

petey

MEMBER BANNED

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 04:51:02 PM »

My husband Marvin has had one transplant and is currently waiting for his second.

Marvin was 39 years old when he first went on dialysis (four days after his diagnosis of IgA Nephropathy -- talk about a shock!).  He was on dialysis the first time for 5 years and 6 months.  I was FINALLY approved as his living donor, and we had the transplant surgeries on July 26, 2000 (the day before our 14th wedding anniversary).  We have the same blood type (O+), but we were a very low (1/6) antigen match.  His doctors thought he'd very likely reject my kidney (they were wrong), and when he didn't reject immediately, they said if we took care of Marvin, the transplant could last 15+ years (average life of a living donor transplant, according to the statistics at that time).  We were so pumped, and we took every precaution and followed the doctors' orders to the T.

Three years later, Marvin's transplanted kidney showed signs of IgA Nephropathy, too.  A biopsy confirmed that the transplant had contracted the same disease that destroyed his original kidneys.  The transplanted kidney lasted another three months after that (October, 2003) before Marvin had to go back on dialysis.

I was devastated!  I wanted the "average" 15 years out of that transplant!  I felt like Marvin had been cheated.  I was angry, sad, heart-broken, and at my soul's end.  Marvin, however, was extremely accepting.  He said this was his fate.  He went back to the center for hemo and just seemed to pick back up where he had left off three years and three months before that.  He was so brave and so optimistic.  He said another transplant would come along for him.

That was 5 and a half years ago, and he's still waiting for that second transplant.  Marvin now has a very high antibody (PRA) level -- 98% -- (because of my kidney), so, to me, it doesn't look promising.  However, Marvin still believes his time will come.  Sometimes, I think I'm just pretending to believe because Marvin believes so vehemently.

We have been doing home hemo for the last 20 months, and this makes dialysis -- to us -- much more bearable.

twirl
Member for Life

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 05:02:06 PM »

zero
Beth35

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 05:04:06 PM »

Wow, I had IgA Nephropathy too.  They tell me that is what caused my kidney to fail.  I have B+ blood type which they tell me is a rare blood type.  So having a transplanted kidney can make it harder to find a match for another one?  I didn't know this.

Chris
Member for Life

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 05:17:22 PM »

I thought more would have replied that they had more than one transplant already.

Diabetes -  age 7

Neuropathy in legs age 10

Eye impairments and blindness in one eye began in 95, major one during visit to the Indy 500 race of that year
   -glaucoma and surgery for that
     -cataract surgery twice on same eye (2000 - 2002). another one growing in good eye
     - vitrectomy in good eye post tx November 2003, totally blind for 4 months due to complications with meds and infection

Diagnosed with ESRD June 29, 1999
1st Dialysis - July 4, 1999
Last Dialysis - December 2, 2000

Kidney and Pancreas Transplant - December 3, 2000

Cataract Surgery on good eye - June 24, 2009
Knee Surgery 2010
2011/2012 in process of getting a guide dog
Guide Dog Training begins July 2, 2012 in NY
Guide Dog by end of July 2012
Next eye surgery late 2012 or 2013 if I feel like it
Home with Guide dog - July 27, 2012
Knee Surgery #2 - Oct 15, 2012
Eye Surgery - Nov 2012
Lifes Adventures -  Priceless

No two day's are the same, are they?
paris
Member for Life

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 06:05:46 PM »

I know we have several members that have had two and some have gotten a third one.  Hopefully, some will respong to this question.

FYI --     Blood transfusions, transplants and pregnancies can raise your antibody levels.  You body keeps building antibodies to fight off these "foreign objects" that are in our body.    Something I knew nothing about until donor after donor was rejected.  There are ways to get around the antibody problem. 
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 06:07:48 PM by paris » Logged

It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.
Beth35

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2009, 06:10:46 PM »

Wow Paris, thanks for the info.  I knew that blood transfusions had that effect but I had no idea that pregnancies or transplants had the same effect. 

monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 04:34:06 AM »

Just had my second one, four weeks ago today.  My first was cadaveric (I was 31) and it lasted 23+ years. 

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 03:09:57 PM »

:stressed;  Still waiting for my first.

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
Beth35

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 05:01:47 PM »

Yeah, it took my five years of waiting on dialysis to get my first.  I was hoping I wouldn't need a second but here I am.  How long have you been waiting Wattle?
Just had my second one, four weeks ago today.  My first was cadaveric (I was 31) and it lasted 23+ years.

Wow, monrein, that is great, 31 years for cadaveric!  I wish mine lasted that long.  Good luck with your new kidney.

babi68

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 11:22:35 PM »

zero for me. been waiting nearly 6 years. hope one will come soon. liz :flower;
monrein
Member for Life

Might as well smile

« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 05:12:14 AM »

Yeah, it took my five years of waiting on dialysis to get my first.  I was hoping I wouldn't need a second but here I am.  How long have you been waiting Wattle?

Wow, monrein, that is great, 31 years for cadaveric!  I wish mine lasted that long.  Good luck with your new kidney.

Actually 23 years Beth, I was 31 years old at the time, but that's still pretty good I figure.

Pyelonephritis (began at 8 mos old)
Home haemo 1980-1985 (self-cannulated with 15 gauge sharps)
Cadaveric transplant 1985
New upper-arm fistula April 2008
Uldall-Cook catheter inserted May 2008
Haemo-dialysis, self care unit June 2008
(2 1/2 hours X 5 weekly)
Self-cannulated, 15 gauge blunts, buttonholes.
Living donor transplant (sister-in law Kathy) Feb. 2009
First failed kidney transplant removed Apr.  2009
Second trx doing great so far...all lab values in normal ranges
Beth35

« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2009, 05:34:36 AM »

Oops.  I meant to say 23.  That is very awesome!

Babi68, here is hoping your kidney comes to you soon!

Wattle
Elite Member

« Reply #17 on: March 24, 2009, 03:33:15 PM »

zero for me. been waiting nearly 6 years. hope one will come soon. liz :flower;

Babi68,  Have you requested a report from the Red Cross? They can tell you your antigen markers and if you have matched with any kidneys to date. What is your blood type?

Surely after six years you have done the required "waiting time" and you should be VERY close.   :cuddle;

I have only waited four years. But sheezzz it feels like a life time.

PKD
June 2005 Commenced PD Dialysis
July 13th 2009 Cadaveric 5/6 Antigen Match Transplant from my Special Angel
MiSSis

« Reply #18 on: March 24, 2009, 08:31:52 PM »

I received my first transplant from my twin brother on May 22, 1980.  It lasted for 3 1/2 years, which was considered quite good at the time.  After waiting 1 year, I went on the transplant list and waited another 3 years for a cadaver donor.  I received my 2nd transplant on Dec 31, 1987 and it lasted until Sept 2003, just 3 months shy of 16 years.  It failed due to complications following my 4th parathyroid surgery.  I'm now in the process of investigating whether or not I can be considered for a 3rd transplant.  I have more health problems now than before, most importantly I've developed coronary artery disease.  I've had 5 confirmed heart attacks, 16 angioplasties, 10 stents and I had triple bypass surgery.  Even though my heart is stronger now than it has been for years, my history of problems could prevent me from getting another transplant. 

"Keep your face to the sunshine and you will not see the shadows."  Helen Keller
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
« previous next »